SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Premium or High Performance Sound on XC90 - Differences? Upgrades?

108K views 88 replies 40 participants last post by  Joe and Chris 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2004 XC90. I have the High Performance Sound according to the screen during power-up.
What is the difference between the High Performance Sound and the Premium Sound?
Is there any difference in the head-unit?
Are different amps used, and are any class-d?
Are the speakers different between the systems?
Does the Premium Sound use Dynaudio (I have Dynaudio in my other car and love them)?
If so can the Dynaudio speakers be ordered and fitted for an upgrade?

Thanks for your help. I searched and spent about an hour, but didn't come to definitive answers to these questions.

#85 ·
Hi All,

First off thank you all, especially Bjoro, pp540 for your thorough info upgrading from High Performance to Premium Sound.

I have the High Performance Sound on a 2006 Volvo XC90 and completed the premium hardware upgrade, installed centre, front and rear premium speakers and used premium amp p/n 30732825. Dilemma is the local Volvo dealer this morning said there’s a 70% probability the car won’t start after the Amp software upgrade 6849972 Audio Premium Sound Application, and Audio Reload Software update 8691143 Audio Reload, because of the used premium amp. The dealer also wanted me to purchase a new Premium amp.

Given you’ve been successful adding Premium Sound on your XC90, do you think I should go through with the two software updates? I really don’t want to have to purchase a new amp the dealer’s recommending. I just think they have no experience with the software updates as I mentioned the vehicle was purchased in the USA and brought to Canada so the MOST Security should already been disabled from the factory. Also mentioned to the dealer during the software updates if they run into any part number config mismatches that they can do a dealer total software update to wipe out any configuration mismatches.

Thanks very much in advance for all your feedback.

#88 ·
I did not have any problem when I upgraded my 2006 XC90 to the premium setup. Like you, I replaced all the speakers with the premium versions and added the center speaker as well as the premium amp. From there, I got my own VIDA subscription and ran the software updates myself. That was a few years ago but I didn't have any problem installing the software on my used amp. It works perfectly to this day. I installed the AUD RELOAD software first (8691143) then the AUD PREMIUM SOUND software (6849972). I remember being uncertain of whether the AUD RELOAD was needed but I did it anyway. Still no idea if it was needed, but it all worked.

#89 ·
Thank you so much for letting me know. I had the AUDIO PREMIUM SOUND software install first and AUDIO RELOAD second, but will change the software install sequence since this worked successful for you. Am curious what it was like running your own VIDA subscription as I would rather go this route vs the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.