Slow response from the Haldex system?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Slow response from the Haldex system?

I've noticed that when I push the throttle on wet/icy roads the front wheels start to slip, but then regain traction after both the DSTC and Haldex kick in.
      Is this normal? I've heard of the Haldex system failing, but when it does it usually fails 100%.
      The old Haldex system for the P1 Volvos had a slower system which could take a second or two for it to engage, and you usuallly had to push the throttle hard for it to kick in.
      If I recall correctly, the Haldex system for the P2 Volvos allows a maximum of 1/7 wheelspin before it engages.
      Somehow it doesnt feel so with mine. I have to press the throttle hard for the Rear wheels to kick in, and this is usually after some time with wheelspin

I'm going to do the Angle gear test tomorrow, but I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered a slow response from the AWD system..

Current: 2012 Volvo XC60 D5 Polestar R-Design
      Past: 2006 Volvo S60 R AWD Sonicama

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Slow response from the Haldex system? (johanjaw)

Sure it's possible with a failing or dirty sensor
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 116K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 153,000 miles and still near perfect!

Is there a way to check for a faulty sensor? Or can only a Volvo mechanic do this?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Check this out. During one of the tests you can see that there is a delay before rear tires start working. I don't trust the propaganda but............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...lated

Global Phuz
      sometimes I think I feel a fractional delay in mine...which is not supposed to be on the 2006-2007 with pre-charged haldex units.

The Subaru AWD system is king. Haldex really needs to give us the ability to go 50/50 split. That video proves it!

Matt
      2005 Volvo XC90 V8
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design
      1991 Volvo 940 - 2JZGTE, 600rwhp

Re: (phuz)

Quote, originally posted by phuz »
      sometimes I think I feel a fractional delay in mine...which is not supposed to be on the 2006-2007 with pre-charged haldex units.

The Subaru AWD system is king. Haldex really needs to give us the ability to go 50/50 split. That video proves it!

While I do agree that the Subaru AWD system is one of the best around. a lot of that video is propaganda. The "handling" tests are hilarious, because they go overboard with the control inputs on the other cars and only input as necessary on the Subarus. I'd like to see how the Acura RDX with SH-AWD does in those tests. My money is that it would handle better than the Scoobies.

I have an 04 and my haldex responds near instantly. I've actually be very impressed with it for how much people complain about it.

11 Audi S4 - stock
      [email protected] 1.86 60'

03 350Z TT
      [email protected] 1.58 60'

Global Phuz

Re: (VOGZ)

Quote, originally posted by VOGZ »

While I do agree that the Subaru AWD system is one of the best around. a lot of that video is propaganda. The "handling" tests are hilarious, because they go overboard with the control inputs on the other cars and only input as necessary on the Subarus. I'd like to see how the Acura RDX with SH-AWD does in those tests. My money is that it would handle better than the Scoobies.

I have an 04 and my haldex responds near instantly. I've actually be very impressed with it for how much people complain about it.

Yes, the video is biased toward Subaru, but the roller test shows exactly what I hate about the haldex, especially pre (pre-charged) units.

Matt
      2005 Volvo XC90 V8
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT

Yes, the video is biased toward Subaru, but the roller test shows exactly what I hate about the haldex, especially pre (pre-charged) units.

So wait, the pre-charged units repond slower than the non-precharged? Advantage?

I know from when I had play in the rear driveshaft that mine was pretty instantaneous.

2005 S60R GT - Rica Stage II, Phuz DP, CAI, M1 0w-40, VPE Intercooler w/ IMEC GROM Bluetooth
      1992 960 - 225k, old and green - Sold 07/14/12

Quote Originally Posted by aldebaran View Post
      the curves are really beautiful, I couldn't stop touching it.

Global Phuz

Re: (BeerEngineer)

Quote, originally posted by BeerEngineer »

So wait, the pre-charged units repond slower than the non-precharged? Advantage?

I know from when I had play in the rear driveshaft that mine was pretty instantaneous.

No, sorry for the confusion.

The units BEFORE pre-charged required a small amount of slip before torque was transferred to the rear wheels. The newer pre-charged units alleviate this problem.

Matt
      2005 Volvo XC90 V8
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT

That video is pure BS. Like stated earlier, the driving for the Subarus was much better than the others during every test. And the roller test was a joke with all but one car. For the first non subie car, they barely touched the throttle at all, not letting the awd kick in. Then on the last subie, they let it get a grip on the main surface and gunned it to get momentum over the rollers. Derrrrr.

Oh...and where's the Audi in this contest? Because the Audi's AWD is hands down the best available.

Re: (kmagnuss)

Quote, originally posted by kmagnuss »
      Oh...and where's the Audi in this contest? Because the Audi's AWD is hands down the best available.

A case could also be made for Nissan's ATESSA-ETS. A rear biased AWD that can transfer 50% of available torque to the front axle. With that you get the best of both worlds. RWD performance characteristics and true AWD ability if needed.

Furthermore, Honda's SH-AWD is pretty trick too.

11 Audi S4 - stock

03 350Z TT

Ehh hmm.

A dealer told me a month ago I have no AWD problems, but I can spin my fronts ANY time, even in 3rd gear....

And we're not talkin' 1/7th spin, we're talkin 7/1's spin before it kicks in.

So if I'm sure my angle gear is alright, haladex module/sensor is the next step?

Global Moderator

Re: (imageomega)

Quote, originally posted by imageomega »
      Ehh hmm.

A dealer told me a month ago I have no AWD problems, but I can spin my fronts ANY time, even in 3rd gear....

And we're not talkin' 1/7th spin, we're talkin 7/1's spin before it kicks in.

So if I'm sure my angle gear is alright, haladex module/sensor is the next step?

Yes, that's correct.

Is there a way to check for a faulty sensor? Or can only a Volvo mechanic do this?

I took it to a mechanic today to get an allignment and we jacked up the car and all four wheels turned as soon as I pressed the throttle.
      I wonder if the system is working as it should and that I am just paranoid or if it is something else...

i'm taking my car for an alignment tomorrow and i'm going to do the angle gear test while it's on the lift.

i have a similar issue to the OP. if i'm driving around in 1st and smash the throttle i'll get some wheel spin towards the rpm range where the car is making the most power. same thing in second. though, depending on road surface or weather conditions causes the severity to be better or worse. obviously. sometimes they just chirp and i get no TC warning light, other times i'll get spin and the TC will flash and everything will correct itself.

i think i'm just paranoid, mostly cause it's something i never really noticed when i first got the car. but then again i took it very easy until i felt i knew the car as well.

2002 XC70 2.4T - "Orca"
      White/Sand(Beige)

Re: (johanjaw)

Quote, originally posted by johanjaw »
      I took it to a mechanic today to get an allignment and we jacked up the car and all four wheels turned as soon as I pressed the throttle.
      I wonder if the system is working as it should and that I am just paranoid or if it is something else...

Under power the rear wheels always get at least 5% of the torque available. The problem is most likely rooted in your Haldex AOC not sending additional power aft when it is needed or reacting very slowly.

11 Audi S4 - stock

03 350Z TT

What a tricky lil b*tch of a problem to diagnose...

Especially with all the angle gear concerns.... and the other components which are all affecting this.

UHG.

I've noticed that when I push the throttle on wet/icy roads the front wheels start to slip, but then regain traction after both the DSTC and Haldex kick in.

FWIW, if it's icy enough, you can break all 4 wheels loose in 5th or even 6th gear once the boost kicks in - are you sure that's not what happens for you?

2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

I have the same issues sorta but then again I still have my pirellis on and its mid decemeber...see what happens when the other tires are put on
      2004 Volvo S60R, GT Silver/Nordkap, Creeping on 100k
      2004 Pontiac GTO, 5.7 6M, Blue/Blue, 19" Fooses, JBA Headers, JBA Off Road Mids, K&N CAI, Stainless Works Cat Back, Custom Tune...

+1?

-EDIT: It seems it throws a code, but no light announces it. Time to head to shucks. See https://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=90369 -

Just snowed in Seattle and ski season is about to start. Having read this thread and a bunch of others recently, I don't think I've ever had my R with AWD. When I first got it, I'd break the tires loose on almost every start in the rain. (I attributed it more to poor skils with the clutch, perhaps that was only part of the problem.)

I can also break the front tires loose for a period of time when it's dry, too. (Spinning, not chirping)

The "angle gear" test ensures that the drive shaft to the rear wheel is spinning, so people who have not done the JRL mod and get rain squeal pass with flying colors, correct?

That also would rule out the stripped sleeve cause as well.

That leads me to believe the sole cause would be the haldex temp sensor.

Would perry mason be proud of me, or is there a fatal omssion in my logic?

Modified by zabto at 10:25 AM 12-14-2008

No error codes stored on the computer. Would the sensor throw codes every time the haldex failed to engage?

Just thought of giving you guys an update on the AWD issue. I took the car to Volvo to fix the temp gauge that was malfunctioning and the mechanic told me that the car was throwing error codes on the Haldex system.
      On the 14th of Jan they have promised to take a look at the car - Im hoping that it hasnt snowed much before then:-P

Just thought of giving you guys an update on the AWD issue. I took the car to Volvo to fix the temp gauge that was malfunctioning and the mechanic told me that the car was throwing error codes on the Haldex system.
      On the 14th of Jan they have promised to take a look at the car - Im hoping that it hasnt snowed much before then:-P

Mine was doing what you described, only a little worse, and they replaced the pressure sensor switch that controls the AWD. I think the 07's are unique from the others as they are pre-charged, but yours should still have the same sensor I would think.

'07 Sonic Blue S60 R - SOLD
      '07 Passion Red XC90 Sport - SOLD
      '16 XC60 T6 AWD
      '12 Acura TSX Special Edition

Global Phuz
      Is this pressure switch fairly accessible that we can swap it out ourselves? I might want to give this a shot. My AWD takes a bit of front wheelspin before the rear kicks in.
      Matt
      2005 Volvo XC90 V8
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT

Is this pressure switch fairly accessible that we can swap it out ourselves? I might want to give this a shot. My AWD takes a bit of front wheelspin before the rear kicks in.

Someone else would have to answer that question, I should have asked where it was located, but I didn't. I was just excited to try it out.

'07 Sonic Blue S60 R - SOLD
      '07 Passion Red XC90 Sport - SOLD
      '16 XC60 T6 AWD
      '12 Acura TSX Special Edition

Re: Slow response from the Haldex system? (Denis)

Yes, Subaru has a more "serious" AWD system. I drove a Legacy GT Spec B, it was impressive. ....that was after I bought my SR.

I liked the wet skidpad tests, though - reminds me of when I swerved to avoid a deer in my '05 SR and did a tailside 270 into the ditch when the DSTC tried to "help" and cut my throttle input - I wasn't able to accelerate out of the spin as I realized the b!tch snap-oversteered. I was basically along for the ride, just hoping I didn't break too much. A spectator mailbox did not survive the event.

2005 S60R 5GT: daily
      2004 S60R 6MT: NASA PT-C track mule

No one suspects the Volvo.

Global Moderator

Yes, it's pretty accessable on the side of the Haldex module. You should be able to see it in the parts diagram.

Re: (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »

Yes, it's pretty accessable on the side of the Haldex module. You should be able to see it in the parts diagram.

Do you have the part number?

Global Phuz

I think this is the correct one, if I am looking at the diagram correctly.

according to a post on v70r.com, part # 30651694-9=pressure sensor list price=204= billed out at 144.89=labor 69.26

Maybe I'm not just going to blindly pick one up for that price.

Matt
      2005 Volvo XC90 V8
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT

34. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements