SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

which to keep? 98 s70 t5m- 99 v70 t5m?

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  chris@swedespeed 
#1 ·
hi all -
i currently have the s70. 95k on it. stage 0 done,tons of other regular "normal" s70/v70 stuff done,clutch,rms,,abs computer, etc. ipd computer sway bars.

or....
i have an opportunity to get a 99 v70 t5m base with 95k on for a great price. but the car is all original and it has the etm.

soooo

which one would you rather have? i really want a 98 wagon,but they are so rare and usually super big bucks.

i would have sell the s70 but after i buy the wagon.

both are green with tan leather
thanks,
ben

#2 ·
Re: which to keep? 98 s70 t5m- 99 v70 t5m? (baggerben)

What's a T5 manual BASE supposed to mean?
Oxymoron, it's a T5 or a Base wagon, it cannot be both.
ANY 5 speed wagon is rare, a V70 T5 manual is ultra rare, far rarer than an S70T5.
If the wagon is decent in my mind there is no question here, get the wagon!

Who cares about the ETM?
If it's good, great, if not or when it craps out you go with those new electronic ones for $500 with no mechanical parts to wear out!

#4 ·
Re: (baggerben)

No roof, that's an odd one.
As for the wood, I would say that's a 50-50 split, about 1/2 come with wood (or aluminum).
You can always add wood or aluminum inlays.
Up to you, it depends on how nice it is and if you care about a moonroof!
I assume no foglights too, how about the trip computer?

#8 ·

Post or IM me the VIN.
I can run it through the Volvo computer (tomorrow) and see what was done during the warranty period, where it came from and where it was serviced, etc, etc.

#10 ·
Wagon > Sedan

#12 ·
I've had a 98 S70 T5M and a 98 V70 T5M. They both had their pros and cons, but I did sell the S70 to get the V70 since I made a profit and got a wagon. I'm a wagon guy.

BUT, one drawback to the wagons is they make more creaks and rattles in the back, whereas the S70 will sound more solid. Creaks, buzzes and rattles REALLY bug me--I want my car to sound solid as a vault. If you feel the same way, keep the S70.

As far as the ETM, I don't think it will really make a huge difference to you in day-to-day use (speaking from experience with my S60). It's not as evil as some people think.

Ultimately, I say buy the wagon and keep both for a month or two. By then you'll know which one you really like better.

#13 ·

if you prefer the wood, swap it into the wagon and put the black plastic into the S70.

One thing I learned while up at Justin's pulling parts, the '98's seat air bags are separate from the other airbags, meaning you can unplug them and not get an airbag light. You can swap in '99 & '00 seats or go for aftermarket Recaros. Something not most Volvo owners consider but its an option for '98 cars.

Thanks to Steve for pointing that out to me when he was swapping his seats that day. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.