SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

3M views 13K replies 766 participants last post by  hq_ 
#1 ·
So we have this thread over @ Volvospeed and it's pretty cool.

What did you do today?

Installed brackets in my trunk to keep my tool kit from moving around, and bungie cords on the side cubbie to keep my cleaning stuff in place.

See less See more
#12,323 ·
I forgot to take a pic of the new hardware, but I removed the old exhaust manifold heat shield bolts (they were in rough shape) and replaced them with new ones. The heat shield itself seems fine.

I did this as I eventually plan to replace some parts that will need this removed, and thought I might as well get this out of the way while I have the time.

Metal

Replacement part numbers:
2 x 985661 - Long bolts for springs
2 x 30713395 - Springs
2 x 982793 - shorter bolts

#12,330 · (Edited)
I put in the Do88 in the V50 2 weekends ago. I picked it up at EST when I was in Oakville to check out their new location. I asked about the IC and I just bought in on the spot. The instructions said there some things to trim but on my 2010 I didn’t have to trim anything. The Do88 came in at 16.75 pounds and the OEM IC at 4.25 pounds. What a difference. I am just slightly ahead of you sirloins with the IC and winter tires. Behind you on the other maintenance. Keep up the good work.

#12,331 ·
I put in the Do88 in the V50 2 weekends ago. I picked it up at EST when I was in Oakville to check out their new location. I asked about the IC and I just bought in on the spot. The instructions said there some things to trim but on my 2010 I didn't have to trim anything. The Do88 came in at 16.75 pounds and the OEM IC at 4.25 pounds. What a difference. I am just slightly ahead of you sirloins with the IC and winter tires. Behind you on the other maintenance. Keep up the good work.
Oh yes good point about not having to trim anything on the bumper. I also did not have to trim anything, I was careful re-fitting the bumper and wasn't seeing any interference. So for anyone else with a facelift model, maybe you won't have to trim anything either. I believe their instructions are for a 2005. Also the stock bumper bolt that you have to remove to install their bracket was 10mm IIRC not 12mm, not that it is a big deal.

#12,332 ·
Love that red V50 [emoji106]

We dont have many V50/S40 clean as that here in Quebec

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

#12,333 · (Edited)
In the process of upgrading/replacing the Turbo Control Valve and Turbo Bypass Valve on my 2008 S40 AWD T5. I knew it would be a bit of work, but it’ is quite a bit of work for a simple upgrade. I have not seen any write ups or -how to- on this, but it requires removing the passenger side CV Axle support bracket in order to access one of the bolts on the bypass valve. Plus it is very difficult to reach the connector on the exhaust of the turbo that the TCV hooks up to. It really requires some patience.

Afterwards, I will install a bigger FMIC I bought on eBay for $75. Its suppose to be direct from a Ford dealer and OEM for the Ford ST. Hopefully it goes on without any issues. I’️ll also be replacing the fuel pressure sensor and wrapping the turbo inlet pipe in heat wrap as well as the inter-cooler outlet pipe.

#12,358 ·
In the process of upgrading/replacing the Turbo Control Valve and Turbo Bypass Valve on my 2008 S40 AWD T5. I knew it would be a bit of work, but it' is quite a bit of work for a simple upgrade. I have not seen any write ups or -how to- on this, but it requires removing the passenger side CV Axle support bracket in order to access one of the bolts on the bypass valve. Plus it is very difficult to reach the connector on the exhaust of the turbo that the TCV hooks up to. It really requires some patience.

Afterwards, I will install a bigger FMIC I bought on eBay for $75. Its suppose to be direct from a Ford dealer and OEM for the Ford ST. Hopefully it goes on without any issues. I’️ll also be replacing the fuel pressure sensor and wrapping the turbo inlet pipe in heat wrap as well as the inter-cooler outlet pipe.
I'm pretty sure the C30 and 40 / 50 are all about the same. Perhaps the AWD is what make the job more difficult and requires removing the axle support bracket?
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...91-ENGINE-Turbo_Control_Valve_Replacement.htm

#12,334 ·
Installed some more parts I had around.

Replaced accessory belts, tensioners and harmonic balancer. I used an impact gun to remove the 30mm bolt.

I tried to change the gear oil in the angler/bevel gear. I didn't get much out so maybe I will try again later.

Installed the last silicon hose from the IPD intercooler hose set, the hose that goes from the hard pipe to the turbo. Still using the original hard pipe, but I had previously sanded and painted it to get rid of rust.

#12,337 ·
I got furloughed by this fun virus.
So I knew my heater core o rings were leaking. But when I took everything apart, it looked like the heater core may have also been leaking,so I decided to replace the heater core as well. And also do the heater hose mod. It was a total pain in the ass! But one thing I liked is I used enough hose to push the engine compartment hoses out farther then the firewall, so disconnecting them later will be way easier.
but the heater hose mod, some how kept me from reinstalling my ps fusebox in it's original place. I literally couldn't get it reinstalled. I tried and the tubes it from aligning. So I realized I could just shove it up in it's original area. And it works. Not what I wanted to do. But it's secure and the car runs great. Without coolant smell. And even the next day, removing the radiator cap, you hear a pressure release sound. So the whole system is holding pressure!!
I'm very happy. Even with not being able to install the fuse box correctly

#12,338 ·
Nice Job Boboli! I haven't really inspected mine very well. The tubes do look newer than the other hoses (at least from the engine side) so I'm not sure if this was already done on my car.

Today I installed those aftermarket savanini pedals. They seem ok so far. I know my mats are the wrong color, I have fabric black ones for the summer.

Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive wheel system Automobile pedal

#12,342 ·
Started working on my headlight restoration and retrofit. I'm taking the entire set of lights apart, doing a deep deep clean, blacking them out, and adding dual halos (yes two per light!) in each light. I have a surprise coming with that soon... First pic below is the test fit of the main halo (before I opened it up), second pic is after I opened up the lens. Diving more into this tomorrow and excited to finish them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12,345 ·
based on my research and test fit no, it looks like it is going to nestle just perfectly in there. I read the tallest core you can fit is 7.8" to fit under the stock bumper, this one comes in at 7.75"! Ill have a write up soon of my findings and let you guys know if theres any fitment issues

#12,348 · (Edited)
Did a full brake and clutch flush. Saw the foretold black sludge from the clutch. Did multiple clutch pumps until the fluid started flowing clear (closed valve, pumped clutch, re-opened valve). I used a mityvac handheld suction thing to make it easier, my wife was tired of helping me last time I did the flush on our Mazda.

Used about 1.5 bottles (1.5L) of ATE SL.6 DOT4 in total.

Left is from bleeding all 4 brakes, right is only from the clutch.

Bottle Water Drink Glass bottle Vegetable oil

#12,350 ·
Strut bars

Guys, do front strut bars in C30/S40/V50 differ from each other, when taking engine into consideration?
I saw that the one from T5/2.4i fits to C30/S40/V50, but only to those two engine setups. Any other is not listed, but bars seems to be similiar/the same.

Can someone confirm this?

#12,353 ·
Those are the only two engine setups we have here in the US. If you're looking for the diesel, Volvo UK Forums would be your best place to go.

#12,354 · (Edited)
Changed the brake booster vacuum hose today. This is in an attempt to solve my P0101 (ECM 130A - MAF Sensor - Faulty signal) DTC. I've been chasing this for years with almost no improvement, and have replaced just about everything I can think of relating to this issue. This hose is part # 31201430. Unfortunately, even after clearing the DTC and resetting the ECM adaptations, there seems to be no change in the behavior of my issue. Onto the next thing to try...

#12,356 ·
All is well, thanks for the reply!

I got this file from MyNameIdeasWereTaken on this forum, it's just a 3D printed piece (took less than an hour to print on my own printer) and I mounted it with sticky tape. Just makes the battery cover look nicer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12,359 · (Edited)
@evy, I wonder if you have a wiring issue going on?

This was technically last weekend, but I got my 3" downpipe and magnaflow rear muffler all on the car! Exhaust, performance, blah blah blah, honestly the tips looking proper are one of my biggest gains from this lol.

Sound clip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/FotEbBSgKRxxnogf6

Not sure if it's too loud, it's a little droney ~2000 rpm, so I may replace the stock resonator with something else or attempt to add a helmholtz resonator.

And yes my car has a butt crack, PO must've backed into something. May see if I can pull the bumper and flatten that out a little with a heat gun