SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

3M views 13K replies 766 participants last post by  hq_ 
#1 ·
So we have this thread over @ Volvospeed and it's pretty cool.

What did you do today?

Installed brackets in my trunk to keep my tool kit from moving around, and bungie cords on the side cubbie to keep my cleaning stuff in place.

See less See more
#31 ·
Re: (chromecarz00)

That's what I thought, I just figured I'd better ask for clarification. I have a motor trend 10" orbital polisher...

#32 ·
Re: What did you do to your car today? (chromecarz00)

Quote, originally posted by chromecarz00 »
Fingernail deep?
as for today...Raced...well "raced" a buddy in his lambo and another in her s2000...

chromecarz00
Not quite fingernail deep but close. I did two pass using Optimum Compound on a cutting pad and it didn't get it out. Marred the paint a little bit. I wasn't happy doing all this cutting, so I switched to two pass of Meguiar's DACP on a light cutting pad and finished it off with Meg Speed Glaze on polishing pad. Some of the deeper scratches are still there but at least it is as not noticible.
lambo? Dang, you sure a nice friends.

carreragt7
If you are serious about car detailing, then you need a Porter Cable polisher (actually a sander). Usually for a single scratch or bird crap stain, I switch to 2.5" or 3" pad. It works really well. In this case, I didn't and used the regular 6.5" since it was all over the hood and top.

You can still fix it by hand if you like. Try Meguiar's Scratch X. I had success with this when I didn't have PC. Be prepared for a good workout. You really have to work it. Most of the time you want to apply 10-15 lbs of pressure.

The orbital is too big for spot repair.

#6,297 ·
Installing an entire system.... I rate mine a 8. Its hard as hell to do it RIGHT on this car. Running new wires, custom fitting component systems... Its all worth it in the end!

#37 ·
Re: (Vash13)

The sound quality is not as great as a true Aux-In, but I still think it sounds great. Setting "MOD-LVL3" seemed to help reduce noise (boosts the gain).

High quality MP3s from the USB stick sound great, and you get the text on the screen.

I'd give the install a difficulty level of 7. Pretty simple overall, just time consuming. The interior C-Pillar gets a 10, that thing was a pain and it didn't go back on as nice as it came off.

#39 ·
Re: (timewstr)

Quote, originally posted by timewstr »
The sound quality is not as great as a true Aux-In, but I still think it sounds great. Setting "MOD-LVL3" seemed to help reduce noise (boosts the gain).

High quality MP3s from the USB stick sound great, and you get the text on the screen.

I'd give the install a difficulty level of 7. Pretty simple overall, just time consuming. The interior C-Pillar gets a 10, that thing was a pain and it didn't go back on as nice as it came off.

Wow nice install! Next time I am in Tucson I might have to check that out in person! Do you ever go to the AZ Euros meets on Fridays?

#40 ·
Re: (NorthernS40)

so quaker state? I have also heard Royal Purple being good... Ill be needing 7 quarts of 10w30 of my choice?

#46 ·
Re: (crossie)

Sweet Crossie! Just don't ever get a flat tire!
Let us know how it ends up sounding. I just bought a used OEM sub since I can't lose any more trunk space (I have the AWD with a small enough trunk as it is) and need to keep a spare tire. Once again, nice job!

#47 ·
thanks AJ

thought about the factory sub, but it seemed a little to small for the purpose...?! are you happy with it?

and btw, we have volvos! they don't get any flat tires

#48 ·
Re: (crossie)

I don't actually have it installed yet, it should be here the middle of this coming week. I was just wanting to balance out the sound a little better since the premium sound package is nice but if you turn it up past a certain point it gets kind of washed out, I am hoping the OEM sub can help with this, as I was told by a guy who has it in his car that it really does help the sound out. I will definitely post my thoughts on it once I get it installed.
And while we have Volvos, I still live in a place where some of the roads are very crappy, and I have some expensive wheels, so I don't want to get a flat and then have to drive on it and chance ruining the wheels, since they aren't sold for our bolt pattern anymore.

Keep us posted on the sub setup, it is very cool so far!

#50 ·
Re: (Kallvin22)

2 inches?! LOL, that is one thing that scared me when I lived in WA, any snow whatsoever and driving was dangerous because most people there don't know how to drive very well in the snow. But the AWD would definitely help!

During Christmas break I drove on a highway with about 6 inches of snow. It sucked but wasn't as bad as I thought it was. But I am used to driving in snow as I grew up in it and currently live in Utah.

#53 ·
Re: (greencow)

Quote, originally posted by greencow »
Now that I've got AWD, I actually look forward to the bad weather, hahah.
Me too! I have this awesome huge empty parking lot I go to when there is fresh snow and do some mad donuts and stuff.