122S SU HS6 question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

122S SU HS6 question

Hi folks - thanks for all of the help and wiring info. Need to put enough time aside to chase all the wiring down still, but the diagrams and info should let me get her cranked over to help baseline the engine.

I scored an original intake and SU HS6 set up last week, and in doing some research on rebuilding them noticed that the IPD price for the rebuilt kit is a good 75% more expensive that what my British car suppliers sell for the same HS6.

Any chance if you guys know if there is there any differences carbs themselves, or is this just a pricing quirk?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: 122S SU HS6 question (tdskip)

Chances are fair to good that the standard carb kit will NOT make your old HS6 carbs "like new".
      Be sure and check for wear at the throttle shafts. If they leak there, accurate tuning will not be possible. They can be re-shafted and re-bushed though.

Re: 122S SU HS6 question (Walrus3)

Throttle shaft wear is a definate concern - check 'em out good . Hold the throttle shafts in the "just off idle" position & wiggle 'em (on either side of the body) to & from the mounting flange (i.e. not up & down) & I betcha you'll see wear .

After that , call JOE CURTO for parts & rebuilding of the SU's - he's the man (and will save you big $) . We've dealt with him for years .

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: 122S SU HS6 question (Buddy Palumbo)

Yeah, I hear you. I'm familiar with the throttle shaft issues from an MGB GT. These seem pretty solid, but will double check. Trying to tune the carbs with leaky shafts is a quick path to madness, ask me how I learned that.

Sounds like the innards are standard HS6 bits...

Thanks guys!

If you plan to use twin SU-HS6 carbs on your "final" engine consider sourcing a fully-rebuilt unit ready to bolt on.

George Dill

Re: 122S SU HS6 question (gdill2)

Will do George - if I can't rebuild them adequately myself I'll send them out.

Thanks.

The main issue is boring the carb body for the throttle shaft re-bush.

Everything must be aligned with the pivot axis of the shaft and the tolerances for the bush and shaft are very close.

A full rebuild would also include new correct needles and matching jets.

This looks like a good place to start a discussion on the Grose Jet - yes or no?

George Dill

Re: 122S SU HS6 question (gdill2)

If you're going to have them rebuilt w/the bodies bored & such , again , call Joe Curto .

As for the Grose jets ... NOPE - go with the viton-tipped replacemants (used to be neoprene tipped , IIRC - now are viton , due to the crappy gas eating stuff up) . We used to replace with Grose jets years back (when they were all the rage) , and have since seen tons of failures , and have switched to the viton-tipped ones with no bad feedback , BTW . I've seen TONS of SU's & ZS carbs in my line of work . We have the bore tool to oversize MGB carb throttle shafts , but I believe the Volvo 1 3/4 ones have a bigger shaft ...

I second the NO vote on Grose jets for SUs, although they're just dandy in Webers.

There are oversize shafts for HS6s if the bodies aren't worn too far to bore out, but new standard shafts with bushings are a much better way to go. Joe Curto is great, but I've had a lot of excellent rebuilds from Rhys Kent:

http://www.sucarburetors.com/

Re: 122S SU HS6 question (Phil Singher)

Hi guys - good thread!

Thanks for all the info and referral.

Buddy!
      The HS6 and HIF6 have 5/16" shafts. The oversize shafts take a "P" size reamer, available from most tool supply places. It is only 0.010" bigger than std.
      A source of SU rebuilds in central US is Jim Taylor here in Bartlesville. He recently did a pair for me. You can phone him at (918) 333-3444

very interesting to hear all the anti-grose jet sentiments.

I was having the toughest time getting my front carb to stop leaking out the overflow. The grose jet just was not shutting off. I cleaned it multiple times including spraying the grosejet out with carb cleaner and compressed air. No dice.

I finally replaced it with a new grose jet and it was instantly better. I suppose if it goes out again I'll consider the original replacements.

I'd also suggest Rhys; He's done mine and my dad's carbs. They came tuned, with the right needles for our applications, throttle shafts rebushed, and we had him polish them too, and now they look like jewelery and run like new!

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements