I smell smoke, I see smoke (insert explatives)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

I smell smoke, I see smoke (insert explatives)

Big trouble from Charleston. After leaving a glorious day at the park. I turned the ignition switch and a plume of white smoke came out of the defroster/windshield vent. Smelling plastic, I popped off the fuse cover. The source of the smoke was behind the fuse. Switched key off, confirmed no fire.

I took off the cover (which I guess conceals the CCM) and there is a large wire harness.

The skinniest black wire in the harness is burned through. There is no black sleeve as far as my hand can reach behind the board.

The car turns over. But it will not fire...Like there is a fuel restriction. Chug chug chug, like out off gas.

It The gauges all appear normal. All electronics, with exception to an existing sunroof problem operate normally. No fuses are blown.

I turn the key, sounds normal. Fires for the briefest second and stalls out.

So, million dollar question (or 1800 dollar question, parts and labor), how screwed am I?

Thanks for a great forum. Fortunately, I only lurk around, since I have had a pretty decent run here lately. With exception to the incessant light bulb problem.

Thanks again. Have a great weekend,

GP
      2001 v70 t5

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: I smell smoke, I see smoke (limelightsc)

Sounds like something "grounded" (shorted) and fried the ground. There might be a corresponding power wire to the failed component that also overheated, so look for that to find the failed component. Good Luck, I wish I could be more helpful as I too have an 01 V70 T5a. WHY couldn't a fuse blow for this? Anyone?

Jerry

01 V70 T5a 133K miles (as of 8/12)
      73 P1800ES 370K miles (RIP)
      73 145 320K miles (when it went to the "X")
      59 Austin Healey Bugeye 2000cc hemi 150HP
      69 F100 (original owner) this truck will run FOREVER! (SOLD for 2008 F250 DIESEL ON 3/12)

ALRIGHT! An update, which will hopefully drum up some discussion...

I found the cause, which was a lousy installation of a wireless phone. They tapped into the power supply and left the wires exposed.

I also found a burnt fuse to the fuel pump - must have missed it when I was working under a flash light.

What I can't figure out is how to access the wire harness so I can start to unravel the mystery wire. It is an a extremely thin black wire, so it must a ground wire to something.

If I can identify it, can i just patch the exposed section with a fresh length of wire?

Any advise on trying to follow this wire around without disassembling the entire vehicle?

Please, any advise would help incredibly. We literally do not have the money to tow this car to a service station, let alone pay for any service.

Thank you!

GP

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

all i can suggest is to insulate the power tap junction, repair the burned wire, replace the fuse, and go from there.

i can imagine a short causing the problem, especially on the hot side. i might even use a lower amp fuse(like a 7.5 in a 10, not drastic) just so you can coddle it and to reduce damage probablilites.

best of luck, i would bet a dealer's parts guys would give you a copy of the wiring diagram if you asked nicely. i have always been helped, all over the country. give it a try.

and really, best of luck.

anyone else? MIJ maybe.

Thanks for the endorsement, but I really know very little about electricals, especially on these Volvo's. I've just been lucky not to have similar issues on our V70.
      '98 S70 T5 Emerald Green IPD and other Upgrades/ '07 S40 T5 M-66 MT Mystic Silver Metallic, Heico Sports Suspension & Cone Air Filter, OZ 18" Wheels, Elevate Dual Exhaust Intake Manifold BOV & Stage 1 Tune, 27mm Racing Beat Rear Sway, Proforged Rear End Links, Ultra Racing Strut Tower brace & E-Focus Mount/ '04 V70 2.5T Ruby Red - IPD Upgrades (wife's car)/ '07 S60 2.5T Barrent Blue (son's car) All: Mobil-1 synthetic @ 5K miles.

Re: (MadeInJapan)

What is the best way to access these wires under the dash?

I can only follow the wire so far ---

If it helps any one reading. The harness has 34 wires. The fried one is black.

Thanks everyone -

GP

Re: (limelightsc)

UPDATE:

took out CEM. Black wire appears to come from Relay CMI2 in the CEM.

Trying to follow to wire. Looks like it goes out to cable harness located under vent/wiper blades on the exterior of the automobile. Hoping wire casing fizzled out somewhere soon, so I can replace the length of wire.

Still not sure were it goes.

Now, to figure out how to remove wipers so i can access harness -

GP

Re: (limelightsc)

Wipers should be easy to get off, unless you live in a salty environment.

Wire does not follow into engine compartment.

According to diagram, it goes to junction 53/428.

Anyone know where this is, so I can go backwards?

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements