Cabin air filter writeup
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Cabin air filter writeup

Here's how I replaced the cabin air filter. It took me 60-70 minutes; this was the first time I did it. This was definitely designed for a right-hand drive vehicle! I removed my floormat, slid my driver's seat back all the way, and tilted my steering wheel up to give me all the room possible.

1. Go out and buy 3 M6-1.0 nuts to replace the gas pedal lock nuts with.

2. Torx 25 3-places, remove cover below steering column. Requires first popping off panel to its left (the one with the rubber air vent that touches the door) and the panel behind the radio screen (panel is about 12x8") first.
      Disconnect the floor light wire and the other one up between the steering wheel and radio if you have it. I think that's for the interior temperature sensor, so you might not have it.

3. Remove the 3 bolts that hold the gas pedal to the firewall. One is at its bottom left, the other two are up top. I got at them with a 10mm deep socket 1/4" drive, u-joint, and 10-12" extension to a ratchet. You'll want the extension long enough to get your ratchet past the pedals. The lock nuts are the hardest part of this whole job. That's why you bought 3 non-lock nuts to replace them with, right?

4. Some say disconnect the gas pedal wires and remove the pedal. I didn't want to break the clips so I just zip-tied it to my clutch pedal to get it out of my way. It was still in my way a little bit, but it was manageable. If you know how to undo the clip, go for it, it will help a little.

5. Roll the carpet down a bit by the filter. Using a 7mm socket, remove the filter cover. Pull the filter out and watch leaves fall everywhere. Brush the edge of the filter compartment out with your fingers in case there's a little bit of gunk left.

Old filter coming out:

My carpet was clean when I started; this all came out of the filter/housing:

6. Put your new filter in. It requires some cajoling of the filter. Squish and bend it a bit; the corrugated design allows it. Once in, replace cover plate. From Tom: "The direction of the air flow is indicated on the top of the filter. Ensure that the filter is installed with the text side facing up and so that the arrows on the filter point straight back into the vehicle."

7. Reattach gas pedal with new non-lock nuts. Reassemble panel covers.

Some of the tools I used:

Modified by mattdoc at 6:10 PM 4-12-2009

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Cabin air filter writeup (mattdoc)

Excellent writeup and pictures, thanks! We have heard nothing but complaints about how hard it is to change this filter, but nobody took the time to take pictures and provide step by step instructions for over 4 years.
      2005 S40 T5 AWD, Barents Blue W/Silver Hood, Roof and Trunk, IPD Pegasus R Wheels, BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S & Bridgestone Blizzak's
      200,000+ Alaskan miles and counting

Stickied! Thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Can someone confirm the air flow direction is supposed to be from front to rear? The one I took out was like that, so I followed its lead.

Re: (mattdoc)

I thought the cabin air filter was on the right side of all Volvo's. Hmm.
      2015.5 XC60 R-Design
      Black Metallic, Platinum, Climate, BLIS

Re: (vivek9856)

Volvo pulled a smartypants and made the S40's cabin filter accessible for a RHD car, and for some reason didnt bother to correct it in the 05+ model years lol. The air flow direction should face forward if i remember correctly.
      Current: 11 ISF | P2 V70R
      Past: 14 C300 AMG Sport+ | E46M | S40 T5 | NA1 NSX | Acura TL | LS-T DC4

Thanks for the procedure. Why do they have to make it so dam hard to replace the cabin filter.

Quote, originally posted by mattdoc »
      Can someone confirm the air flow direction is supposed to be from front to rear? The one I took out was like that, so I followed its lead.

Correct, air flow is toward the rear.

From the book:

Installation

Installing the passenger compartment air cleaner (ACL)
      Note! The direction of the air flow is indicated on the top of the filter. Ensure that the filter is installed with the text side facing up and so that the arrows on the filter point straight back into the vehicle.
      Install the air filter by compressing it slightly and inserting it behind the brake pedal.
      Clamp the cover in place at the rear edge. Screw the cover into place at the front edge using the 3 screws.
      Fold back the carpet.
      Install the accelerator pedal (AP).

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

I don't know if I put the text up or not. Looking at the one I removed, there does not appear to be much of a difference if it were flipped. I highly doubt an upside-down filter would harm anything, but am I wrong?

Im sure it would probably filter the same but may not allow as much cfm's as the filter design was attended to allow.

Freakin' awesome mattdoc! Thanks for saving the rest of us much time and frustration.

Hers: 2013 C30 T5 / Polestar Limited Edition / 6M / #147 of 250 / Rebel Blue
      His: 2018 V60 T5 Dynamic / Passion Red / Vision & Tech Pkgs
      Son's: 2005 S40 T5 / Passion Red / Dynamic Sport / IPD Stuff (He will never part with)
      Son's: 2018 V60CC / Denim Blue / Vision Pkg
      In the past: 2016 XC90RD / 2015 S60RD / 2012 S60 T5 - Loved them all!

I've still got no idea where this filter is really. I'm on a Right Hand Drive version of this car.

Is the filter placed in the same position in the Right Hand Drive S40?

Re: (Jonz)

Perfect! Ive always wanted to ask how it is for a RHD car. It should be in YOUR passenger side as they did not change the filter placement. Pull your passenger side panels and it should be very easy to access.

Ive been told the system was designed for a RHD car as its easily removable however choose not to correct the placement for LHD cars due to cost.

Is there anything i need to remove? The passenger side panels - do I just pull it out? Any tools involved?
      I'll have a go at it soon once i'm sure of how to remove the side panels.

I did try to locate the filter once before but I have no idea where it was and I found some sort of fuse box instead which was placed somewhere under the glove box area.

Re: (Jonz)

That would be the CEM, the tools that you would require would be a T25 torx for any screws you come across otherwise should be fairly easy to remove the panel and look up underneath the center of the dash where the filter sits.

Yeah, I had to laugh...I wet to the dealer to grab a filter to do this today...got to the cashier, $27! 27 freakin' bucks for a regular filter, not even the charcoal one! I took it back to parts and told them I could get one from ipd for $10.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

Re: (Veefifty T5AWD)

thanks for the write up, and I'll have to look into the $10 IPD one, I for one love to save money, but with Asthma, I need to replace this cabin filter soon
      For Sale, my 05 V50 T5 $11,900 obo. Colorado Springs !
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...lorado-Springs

Re: (V50_T5)

$10 at O'Reilly too.

I am now a world class gymnast. Had to be to put this thing in. Took right at an hour. Would have been less but took a little time to find the right combo of extensions, etc.

No arrows for airflow direction on filter (MicroGuard). One side was darker than the other. Would think the white side (looked to be a cotton mesh) would be toward the front to catch the air/dust first? Put the darker charcoal on the back closest to the cabin.

Used the same lock nuts on the accelerator pedal. By far the most difficult part. Didn't have the third 7mm screw in the top of the filter door...didn't look like there ever was one...no markings of previous removal. Who knows if they ever replaced this thing during the free service period. Sure looked undisturbed.

Would add one more tool - a thick towel to cover the seat rails, they chewed my ribs up.

Modified by Ride S40T at 3:20 PM 4-14-2009

Modified by Ride S40T at 4:53 PM 4-14-2009

Hers: 2013 C30 T5 / Polestar Limited Edition / 6M / #147 of 250 / Rebel Blue
      His: 2018 V60 T5 Dynamic / Passion Red / Vision & Tech Pkgs
      Son's: 2005 S40 T5 / Passion Red / Dynamic Sport / IPD Stuff (He will never part with)
      Son's: 2018 V60CC / Denim Blue / Vision Pkg
      In the past: 2016 XC90RD / 2015 S60RD / 2012 S60 T5 - Loved them all!

Re: Cabin air filter writeup some additional pictures and info

I have two photos to add.

As a new member perhaps I do not have upload privileges....

One interesting thing - my wifes 2008 did not have the three 7 mm screws holding the cabin filter door closed.

Instead there was only one screw that had a white plastic head on it shaped like a wing-nut. This was easy to unscrew by hand.

Regards,

Josh

Re: Cabin air filter writeup some additional pictures and info (unclejosh)

Quote, originally posted by unclejosh »
      I have two photos to add.

As a new member perhaps I do not have upload privileges....

One interesting thing - my wifes 2008 did not have the three 7 mm screws holding the cabin filter door closed.

Instead there was only one screw that had a white plastic head on it shaped like a wing-nut. This was easy to unscrew by hand.

Regards,

Josh

You have to upload it to a photo sharing source, such as photobucket then use the image codes.
      Welcome!

a car.

Re: Cabin air filter writeup some additional pictures and info (chromecarz00)

Thanks chromecarz00 !

Panels to remove and throttle pedal module:

Bad boy is tucked up in here:

Note small screw that removes cabin filter door. I guess this is a latest rev. - definitely better than the three 7 mm screws.

Here is a link to the images on Picassa if these expire on ImageShack:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Tu...tlink

IPD website lists two pollen filters. Does it matter which one to get? The IPD one is more expensive than the OEM one. What's the reason?

Re: (Vash13)

I assume they list a standard and a multi pollen filter. Ive never seen a S40 use a multi filter other than some canadian cars but was unable to verify if it was even original or not. The multi filter is supposed to filter out particulates and pollen better.

2 filter types.............

They offer a filter with activated carbon - that may be the more spendy one.

We sourced ours through through Napa - 35.00.

Not the carbon one, lacked OEM filter foam on edges.

I cut the edge foam off the old filter and affixed it to the new one with double sided take.......

Great documentation!!!! I just did this on my 2008 s40 2.4i and it worked perfect. Only change would be on the job I did you don't need to go out and get replacement nuts for the gas pedal. Mine were not locking nuts and I was able to reuse them. Other than that Thanks so much.

Re: Cabin air filter writeup (fleetingfunds)

Thats correct, they changed the nut design due to the studs actually being pulled out while trying to remove them. Better yet, even later models now just have a wing nut on the filter cover than the 7mm screws

Doing this is a pain in the ass and I will never do it again lol
      Volvo S40 2.4i / Premium Audio / Triple 10" MTX Sub enclosure / Eibach Pro Kit w/ Koni Yellows / IPD Rear Anti-Sway Bar / Akebono brake pads / K&N Drop in Filter.

Re: (heico2.4i)

More times you do it the easier it gets haha. I think I can do them in like 8 minutes I think now

Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

Quote, originally posted by ForceFed Motorsports »
      More times you do it the easier it gets haha. I think I can do them in like 8 minutes I think now

lol.. now I know who to go to when I need my changed

Not a problem, hit me up whenever.

Quote, originally posted by Vash13 »

lol.. now I know who to go to when I need my changed

I will seriously drive all the way out there to bail on the install of the CAF... that and have Kyle turn off my DRLS... and activate my foglights... which i happened to have misplaced the codes again.... kyle lol

Volvo S40 2.4i / Premium Audio / Triple 10" MTX Sub enclosure / Eibach Pro Kit w/ Koni Yellows / IPD Rear Anti-Sway Bar / Akebono brake pads / K&N Drop in Filter.

I just did mine today. Why do the studs have to be so dang long? Don't know if I have the strength to put it back on. My wrist is in pain. I suppose I can take a 5min break and get back at it.
      2005 V50 T5 6-Sp Manual: Flint Grey Metallic- 20% Tint all around | 16" Caligo Alloy Wheels |Premium Sound System w/ 6-Disc CD Changer and Zune Media Player |De-badged Rear Hatch | E-Code Head Lights with 4300K H7 bulbs and Philips Silver Vision Turn Signals |Roof Spoiler |Dubstop black mesh grill w/ Heico Emblem | European Spec Wide Angle side view mirrors|America's answer for the MarkII Focus|

I can look em up again, just let me know which ones you need. Fog application and DRL right?

Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

yeah lol sorry man

DRL removal: 30679690
      Fog app: 30722 466 (manual level control)

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast