SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 12K replies 512 participants last post by  bmdubya1198 
#1 ·
So, many of us seem to work on our cars a lot. What did you do to your car today?

Me, I shampooed my carpets, and cleaned all the leather, took my front seats out and cleaned and tightened everything back up, and took my front doors back apart to tighten up the speakers. I replaced the factory speakers with Alpines about 3 weeks ago. I blew them in 2 days and replaced them with Infinity reference speakers. What an improvement! But maybe too much treble in the front now. Next weekend or the one after, I plan to replace my antenna mast, the upper engine mount and seafoam the engine.

So what did you do today?

#2 ·
Re: What did you do to your car today? (ViriiGuy)

Hmm, let's see, I drove it to the plant nursery to PU some new plants!

#3 ·
Not today, but I'm going to be doing some work on the car in the coming week.

-Replacing power steering fluid reservoir and the fluid itself.

-Cleaning the coolant reservoir and replacing the coolant level sensor.

Eventually I need to fix my problem with the camshaft position actuator. I'm not sure if the unit itself has failed or if the unit's wires are fried.

#4 ·
putting on my newly patched 17'' gold canisto.... hit a nail last apparently

so this is what i've been looking at since i put 3 of them on, lol.

all ready for carlisle.....almost!!!!

#5 ·
Re: (ecbsykes)

Not exactly today.. but I have following jobs in the process:

- timing belt + waterpump + tensioner + all pulleys /done
- serpentine belt + tensioner + all pulleys/ tbd
- injectors ultrasonic cleaned, calibrated - got back - will install today
- OEM fuel filter - tbd
- front axles - were remanufactured, install - tbd will replace fluid as well
- engine hydrolic mounts -tbd
- replace lower cushion/skin on driver seat -tbd

On "spare" car: install OEM ecodes when XPEL kit finall will be delivered ("Brown" sent the package to WA instead MA...
)

EDIT: forgot couple things
XC grill is almost on the way here - for my car
Pass side mirror with working heater element - for son's car - in the mail..

Modified by Papa_Kirlo at 3:52 PM 5-9-2009

#6 ·
Prior to this weekend, I replaced my spark plugs.. twice. First with NGK Platinum's, then again the next week with Bosh Copper Cores.
My mechanic replaced my drivers side control arm bushings. I also replaced my air filter and scrubbed the engine bay clean.

I also need to figure out how to properly aim my head lights. Been fuddling with them for 8 months and they still are not "perfect"

T5power, those gold rims are sharp looking. My poor Perfos are beat to hell. The chrome is starting to chip off them too now.

#7 ·
Re: (ViriiGuy)

Today I drove it with the transmission in 2nd gear to keep the revs over 3k while I drove the back roads to my daughter's soccer game. Lots of fun.

Last week, I did the 90k service, 11k miles late. New plugs, filters, cap, rotors, etc.. Next week I'm using my friend's lift to install the Eurosport cat-back exhaust sitting in my garage. Hopefully, I'll find the time to install all the parts I've ordered from D.W. Volvo: New tailgate and windshield trim, new mudflaps, new lower grills for the R bumper, and a new factory foglight kit.

Edit: Damn, I forgot about the IPD sway bars that have been sitting in the box for 6 months!

#8 ·
Re:

Today:
- I decided not to install euro rails on the T5
- debating if I should try to start to replace the SAS and check valve this evening and end up with a mess for mother's day morning

- sway bars also sitting in a box, debating if the install should be attempted on a set of ramps.

#9 ·
Re: Re: (Chris@Swedespeed)

Quote »
...debating if the install should be attempted on a set of ramps.

I started to do the exhaust the same way, but the claustrophobia refreshed my memory about my buddy's hydraulic lift.

#11 ·
Re: (MisterDeeds)

I replaced the SAS pump with a used one I bought on Volvospeed for $50. The one I took out was not full of water. Didn't do the check valve though.

#12 ·

Checked oil- nothing else really needs to be done at this point. I am between fixes at the moment.

Waxed car last weekend- nicest looking 10 yr old car in the neighborhood!

#13 ·
Re: What did you do to your car today? (Wayne T5)

Quote, originally posted by Wayne T5 »
nicest looking 10 yr old car in the neighborhood!

I hear you there
Folks still ask me all the time if the car is new and are in disbelief when I tell them it is a 99.

#14 ·
Re: (pelicanflyt)

Replaced the SAS this evening. Not too difficult, just a PITA pulling everything out of the way

Now the check valve looks interesting, back over by the turbo - what size are the two bolts, 10mm? It looks like it might be a little tricky getting a socket in there.

#16 ·

1. Put the Yellow back in the showroom
2. Stopped by the body shop to check on the T5M (minor fender bender in shop parking lot by customer - as I watched!)
3. Dropped a K & N in the NA
4. Washed the 244 for its weekly 80 mile round trip cruise to visit & cook for Grandma (& pulled a few weeds for Mother's Day!)

...just another day in 'Volvoland'

#17 ·
Re: (Chris@Swedespeed)

Quote, originally posted by Chris@Swedespeed »
Replaced the SAS this evening. Not too difficult, just a PITA pulling everything out of the way

Now the check valve looks interesting, back over by the turbo - what size are the two bolts, 10mm? It looks like it might be a little tricky getting a socket in there.
From what I've read, they are 10mm. After reading these I decided my valve was working just fine. http://volvospeed.com/Repair/airpump1.php http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum...st=80

#18 ·
Took the rear hub over to the machine shop for 330 BBK brakets to get made
Waxed the coupe
Tranny flush in the 00R
Timing belt in the 99R

And some other fun and drunking antics

#19 ·

Quote, originally posted by Chris@Swedespeed »

A bad check valve is what causes the SAP to go bad, this MUST be replaced

#20 ·
Re: (JRL)

Going to attempt the check valve this morning, hopefully the stars are in alignment.

#21 ·
Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

A bad check valve is what causes the SAP to go bad, this MUST be replaced
My old pump worked. It just was loud.

#22 ·

Sprayed the bolts with PB Blaster - attempted to get a wrench and socket on there no luck. Ran to Sears and picked up a couple 10mm wrenches, one with the built in socket the other when an adjustable/tilt head - we'll see if those work... after a little lunch

#24 ·

Forget about me changing the damn check valve for now - no luck on breaking the bolts loose even after let sit with PB Blaster on them. I hate wasting time on somewhat simple repairs if the bolts would just break loose.

#26 ·
Pretty. Does that say "Bones"? Looks very much like a ProSport.