SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 12K replies 512 participants last post by  bmdubya1198 
#1 ·
So, many of us seem to work on our cars a lot. What did you do to your car today?

Me, I shampooed my carpets, and cleaned all the leather, took my front seats out and cleaned and tightened everything back up, and took my front doors back apart to tighten up the speakers. I replaced the factory speakers with Alpines about 3 weeks ago. I blew them in 2 days and replaced them with Infinity reference speakers. What an improvement! But maybe too much treble in the front now. Next weekend or the one after, I plan to replace my antenna mast, the upper engine mount and seafoam the engine.

So what did you do today?

#11,539 ·
Giantrobot9000 it's a pretty ambitious projects most people don't like doing that kind of work, on the coupe I was very careful with plastic trim exc.. Because it's getting so hard in my area to find parts c70's. There's one sitting in the junk yard for sale just waiting for it to come to the self service section lol

#11,540 ·
Yeah, I would love a first gen C70 coupe, but they rarely pop up anymore here. Usually convertibles or completely trashed.

#11,541 ·
That's the problem I have a lot of trash or convertable lol I had to buy grab handles from turkey for it, have you seen the 98 C70 someone updated the front end? Looks actually sexy as hell. How do you upload a picture on here? Lol

#11,542 ·
upload to something like flickr or imgur or similar or there's a tool to upload directly via the forum if you hit "go advanced"

#11,543 ·
Lol I guess I'll figure it out later so this is what I plan to do with my exterior it took me months to come across someone that actually changed out the front end of a newer I believe s60 and put it on a c70 I've wanted to get Thors hammer lights for my c70 this would be the way I'd do that.
vvvvvv
https://www.car.info/en-se/ident/7359/spots

#11,545 ·
Threw on new inner/outer tie rods. Left and rights. Next ID1050x injectors and custom driveshafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#11,546 ·

Replaced my rear engine mount after Hilton suggested that's why my car is pulling timing in low gears. The old one was certainly bad (I put in a used one when I did the M56 swap since I was in a pinch) but it still occasionally pulls boost in 2nd.
Overall though, the car is more solid and less jerky. I also tightened up my iPd lower torque rod, since one of the bushing bolts was allowing a little more movement than I'd like.

First time I've changed this rear damper with the engine in the car, and it wasn't nearly as bad as people make it sound. It was actually super easy!
I think the problem is that people don't have swivel sockets. You're not doing yourself any favors by not having a set of those... they have become a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone

#11,548 ·

First time I've changed this rear damper with the engine in the car, and it wasn't nearly as bad as people make it sound. It was actually super easy!
I think the problem is that people don't have swivel sockets. You're not doing yourself any favors by not having a set of those... they have become a necessity.
[/QUOTE]

I was losing too much torque in my swivel socket to get mine out in the T-5R. However that problem was easily resolved by unbolting one end of the sway bar and moving it out of the way so I could have access with a normal socket. Either way, not a big deal.

#11,549 ·
The bottom bolt was pretty easy to get at this time, but I remember the last time I attached it on another car I needed more torque than the swivel could give me. As for the top nut, I was able to navigate around the turbo coolant pipe and crack it loose and tighten it no problem.

#11,550 ·
My COVID19 "how i finally got rid of all the parts in my room" update starting from 3/20 till 8/24 ...DW300, rear rotors/calipers, 3" Hi Flo Cat, upper strut mounts, 901 swap w/dolby logic box new updated center speaker/Dash soon to arrive,InfinityBass Link,6.5" Pioneer 2 ways rear door,Japanifold,7cm housing,fresh 18T, Bosch coils/plugs,new CBV diaphragm/spring,repaired CJ DP hole in the flex part, Delrin subframe bushings the SB combo meal of Japanifold/7cm housing/18T i feel really filled that Grand Canyon of cooling capability of the Do88..the 16T was huffing a bit at 215K...the front end now is solid and smooth as a pool table..like a new car and greatly reduced the chattering teeth of the dash...and the Boost is just sitting there starring at you...come on!!! you know you want to!! that mid-range is big and fat like a good steak!l it's nice for once to have your expectations exceeded .... next month i hope to get me some nice 17''s ...

#11,551 ·
nice. sounds like my coronavirus experience too lol

#11,552 ·
really it was one of our customers shop was reallly slow and i could finally get it in there ...he gives us a great deal on labor...so it was NEXT!! every other week

#11,553 ·
Nice! I really need to tear down mine and do a bunch of work. I'm getting more and more annoyed with it. Now it sounds like the turbo is whining like it's finally giving out... really weird whistle. I still need to check for any boost/vacuum leaks, but the vacuum looks fine at idle, and the boost acts just as strange as it always does. Man, I can't wait to slap the K24 on here and get a better tune.
Unfortunately my plan is on hold since I'm stuck with my E90 waiting on the title. NC is backed up since FEBRUARY on titles, and they told me (after waiting and hour and a half in line) that there was nothing they could do to give me an instant title since they haven't even filed my transfer yet since I transferred it TWO MONTHS AGO. I was really counting on selling that car this week, but I guess that's out of the question until they get their act together... great!

On the other hand, it's kinda nice to be driving my E39 as a daily now. Still have a bunch of work I need to do to that car. It leaks oil from everywhere, the fan shroud is falling apart (P80 fan swap coming soon to replace that awful mechanical fan... just gotta figure out how to mount it to the BMW shroud), I need to do a cooling system overhaul, the belts are in awful shape, it could probably use new tensioners... the list goes on. Somehow I still trust it more than the V70R!

#11,554 ·
you should put the BMWs in your sig I can't keep track of it all in my head lol

#11,555 ·
We've been evening out our driveway... almost an equal amount of BMWs to Volvos now lol. My brother just bought a nice gloss red E34 last week with a cracked oil pan. Unfortunately those pans are next to impossible to find, since people use them for swapping E30s. Those are the only two BMWs that use the front sump pan. Updating now!

#11,556 ·
Swapped my waterfall for a freshly powdercoated IPD mesh grille. This is one of the metal grilles that IPD stopped selling a long time ago, not the plastic ones they sell now. They sold them in either black or silver, so I stripped this back to bare metal then had a friend powder coat the outer ring silver and mesh black.

Plasti-dipped the hood latch and the grille opening black because the IPD grille is much more open than the waterfall and will leave those areas visible:

My car is filthy but here's the finished install

#11,561 ·
Good suggestions - I'll probably try out the R emblem in the lower corner.

Looks awesome.

Id add the volvo slash/emblem from the waterfall to complete the look.

Very nice [emoji106][emoji106]
Thanks! The stock slash doesn't quite fit right (it's a bit too small) but I do think it would be cool to fabricate a metal slash, add an emblem and use that.

#11,559 ·
Well... my turbo is fine. I checked for any obvious vacuum leaks earlier, and the signal line for the TCV split right off with minimal effort. I guess the aggressive bend it takes around the coolant return isn't ideal. Oh well, that setup will change soon. Still have yet to test drive, but I'm assuming my slow boosting/overboosting issue is fixed. When I started it, I didn't hear the whistling anymore, so that's a good sign.

It's funny, my vacuum wasn't even affected. Still dead on 20 in-hg at idle. I guess it was split and only opened up when revved.

#11,560 ·
i'm with you on that "rat nest" of hoses , gotta do the same clean up..one day

#11,565 ·
Only about 2 years old.

#11,567 ·
Probably wouldn't be a bad idea! These are hoses from iPd that the previous owner gave me with the car.

#11,568 ·
I've been putting together a new toolkit to keep with me in whatever car I'm driving and made myself a super ghetto stealth toolbox this afternoon.....

I think I'm going to add a 7mm hex and a bigger screwdriver. Anyone else see anything I'm missing? Torx bits are T15/20/25/30/40/55, sockets are 7, 8, 10-19, oh there's also a normal 10mm wrench that isn't pictured.

#11,571 · (Edited)
Back to diagnosing this weird check engine and ETS lights short to ground... great! Almost exactly a year after the problem disappeared, and it's back. This makes NO sense, all I can think at this point (unless my cluster grounds are messed up... see my thread for anyone interested) is that the ECU is intermittently giving bad signals.

I've been putting together a new toolkit to keep with me in whatever car I'm driving and made myself a super ghetto stealth toolbox this afternoon.....

I think I'm going to add a 7mm hex and a bigger screwdriver. Anyone else see anything I'm missing? Torx bits are T15/20/25/30/40/55, sockets are 7, 8, 10-19, oh there's also a normal 10mm wrench that isn't pictured.

What a nice tool box! lol

Looks pretty complete though.

#11,570 ·
Cut out the existing shock mounts and built a better set up.

Old set up.....

Fab work....

Finished.....

#11,572 ·
Had my brother change out the damp-rid tub in the cabin of the T5. Last driven in January, and TBD on next time stateside, so I sure hope that '2 year' fuel stabilizer works!! Yet because I miss posting things, bit of an update, below (disclaimer, some non-volvo content, but plenty of wagon content!)

After a triumphant albeit brief (2 months) return to VWs/Audis quattro 2.0T in the form of an S3 hatch, wife decided it was too small with bad visibility for a commuter. OK well: VRMT in Nautic Blue would be perfect!

But then Will said '98 and back sucks. Jared didn't like the AWD. Then the wife told me to f-off, no more volvos (not great pickings here anyway) so ended up with…

Still a wagon and still the 2.0T!

#11,573 ·
Ha Will sent me one of the pics of your VW yesterday. Looks epic. I bet that thing is way better than a 98 P80 AWD. :thumbup:

#11,575 ·
I love how Will and Jared are the deciding factors here lol.

Nice choice! I like the GSW. My cousin has a MK6 Jetta Sportwagen TDI and they're great cars. I much prefer the MK7 though.

#11,581 ·
Cleaned up the compressor housing from my 19t yesterday... it was gross.

Also made an interesting discovery when I removed the exhaust manifold. It's a standard old style manifold, but after talking to Will I realized that somebody ported out the outlet for some reason. It was probably cracked and they just smoothed it out. Weird.
It's also worth noting that the nuts weren't very tight, and one of the support bracket bolts came out by hand with no effort. Someone must have messed with this before. Japanifold all ready to go back on!