SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 12K replies 512 participants last post by  bmdubya1198 
#1 ·
So, many of us seem to work on our cars a lot. What did you do to your car today?

Me, I shampooed my carpets, and cleaned all the leather, took my front seats out and cleaned and tightened everything back up, and took my front doors back apart to tighten up the speakers. I replaced the factory speakers with Alpines about 3 weeks ago. I blew them in 2 days and replaced them with Infinity reference speakers. What an improvement! But maybe too much treble in the front now. Next weekend or the one after, I plan to replace my antenna mast, the upper engine mount and seafoam the engine.

So what did you do today?

#27 ·
Well today I took off early from work to fix my 442 small evap leak code. I was fully expecting to have to take half of my evap system to find the problem. The whole job took only minutes
It was just a cracked hose where it connects to the canister.

No more CEL

#28 ·
Re: (ViriiGuy)

That's called a 'J" hose for future use

#30 ·

markymarks car

#31 ·
I like the orange and silver wagon. I want an orange and white one, if I can't find a black one!

Today I replaced the cabin filter. The old one had been there since 2001. I put a charcoal activated one in. Maybe it will help a little with my allergies.

Tomorrow, if the weather holds up, I will replace the upper engine mount bushing. I got a two piece replacement so I won't need a press.

#32 ·

Yesterday a friend and I replaced the antenna mast that had been broken off. It was a worst case scenario and took a good long while to accomplish. Plus poor Peter had to get a couple stitches in his hand.

But hey! I have Radio again

#33 ·
Koni FSD's and Eibachs went on last Sunday.

#34 ·
I changed out the upper motor mount bushing yesterday. I replaced it with a 2 piece ABS bushing. Pretty easy job, except the bolt that came with the bushing was too thick to go thru the holes in the arm coming off the firewall. So I had to drill out the slots just a little bit.

But boy what a change. Shifting is smoother, acceleration seems snappier and braking even feels a little better. The old bushing was only holding on by a hair, as most of it had already worn/torn away. Before the swap the motor would move about 1.5 inches under operation in either direction. Now, maybe 1/8-1/4 of an inch. I need to replace the firewall mount and the body mounts next. They are cracked as well.

*edit*
In reference to the picture of Markymark's car with the hood up, what are you guys doing to make the hood open that far? Mine opens to maybe 65-70 degrees, but that one goes a full 90 degrees?

#35 ·

All Volvo hoods on 700/900 850/x70's open vertical.

If you look on your hood hinges, you will see a "tab" in the middle that the causes the hinge to lock at the lower angle. Grab the lower lip, and pull it downward on both hinges, you will then be able to open the hood to it's vertical postion.

Get the Volvo firewall torque mount. tThe new one is a revised stronger design.

#36 ·
Re: (lookforjoe)

Finally got the Eurosport exhaust installed. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#37 ·
That's turned into a real nice looking car, if you paint it another color, your're nuts

#38 ·
Re: (JRL)

Yeah, I've come to the same conclusion. Too many other projects going on, anyway....

#40 ·
Pics of Suspension Install

Here's a "before" shot:

I've got 5 of these minty bits; 4 to put on my car and one to sell:

#41 ·
Re: (volvotool)

Quote, originally posted by volvotool »

Finally got the Eurosport exhaust installed. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Car looks real good man. How do you like the EST exhaust? I'm thinking about getting one for my car eventually.

#42 ·
I'm sure viriiguy will reply with his view, but I also have the EST exhaust, so I'll give you my view. I like the look and the quality and the sound is a fair improvement over stock, and virtually zero drone. It is a relatively quiet exhaust, so if you're going for "race me" loud, you should either get another exhaust or delete one of the mufflers on the EST.

#43 ·
Re: (greekone)

It's been on only 24 hours, but I like it so far. I bolted right up with no problems or banging pipes. I hate "U" clamps, but other than that it's all top notch stuff. It doesn't drone, but it does have a bit of a rumble sound in the 2k rpm range. Very nice, I think.

#44 ·
Re:

Haven't had time for much but I did notice that my power steering is starting to hum when turning at very slow speeds.

Kevin - your wagon does look sharp http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#45 ·
Re: Re: (Chris@Swedespeed)

Thanks, Chris. I've finally made peace with the fact that it's an automatic.

#46 ·
So many boring volvos so little time to fix them all

You all need to add more colors

#48 ·

today / yesterday i snagged some side marker lights. total cost... free.99 the local junkyard had em so i popped em out and cut the wires then installed em just like from IPD just 120$ cheaper. ill have to snag some pictures but its nothing new to anyone on here im just a little late in the game but free is free and im jobless so i love free

#49 ·
Re: (KurT5)

Nice work. I love free even though I am not a student/unemployed. Why didn't the junkyard charge you for them?

#50 ·
Re: (pelicanflyt)

friends own and opperate it. if i do have to pay they say "how much you wanna pay?" then i come back with either nothing or if its something typically costly ill say 25$. they were like yea idk what they are but they are yours now so enjoy and enjoy i did and my wallet thanks me. that and they might feel bad for me because a week ago i had to drop off my 95 cherokee all lifted up an mud tires ect ect but although it ran like a champ and still got 20mpg it had frame rot. so i left with a sad face and only 188$ in my pocket

Modified by KurT5 at 3:11 PM 6-7-2009

#51 ·
Re: (KurT5)

Nice friends.