SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Why can you upgrade performance with an ECU upgrade?

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  gatorbrit 
#1 ·
I was reading about the ECU upgrades (for example as sold by IPD) and I read that they can increase HP and also fuel economy. So I am puzzled as to why Volvo doesn't set up the car like this in the first place? Surely the volvo engineers know how to tune for better performance, so why don't they?

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Because it causes the car to run at much higher boost levels (Which adds the power) and would be considered unsafe to run that kind of power from the factory. They use conservative levels as not to strain the engine. You have to remember, Volvo doesn't want to make fast cars, they just need to compete.

#3 ·
It does nothing for volvo to sell them like that from the factory - so why bother?

#5 ·
Re: (gatorbrit)

Quote, originally posted by gatorbrit »
Ok, but I'd have thought that better fuel economy would have been good for volvo especially with CAFE standards etc.

Honestly, I don't know what to tell you about the fuel economy. Just about any ECU upgrade for any car claims improved fuel economy, but I really don't know why the manufacturer would not take advantage of this. It might have something to do with engine longevity.

#6 ·
I would think it has to do with drivablity as well. Your average volvo consumer doesn't have view their car as much more than an appliance.

#7 ·
Re: Why can you upgrade performance with an ECU upgrade? (gatorbrit)

I was reading about the ECU upgrades (for example as sold by IPD) and I read that they can increase HP and also fuel economy. So I am puzzled as to why Volvo doesn't set up the car like this in the first place? Surely the volvo engineers know how to tune for better performance, so why don't they?

Any thoughts?

Volvo could build a 500hp S60. However, the vast majority of Volvo owners have no interest in such a car.
Remember, that the vast majority of people who buy a Volvo do so to get from A to B safely. Speed just doesn't enter into the equation.
As to the fuel economy, you can't make a more powerful car and have it get better mileage. It just doesn't happen. If you USE the extra hp your mileage WILL go down.Period. I had the Evolve/Powerchip ECU upgrade on my R. Gas mileage didn't change when I was just cruising,but went to crap at WOT. Also, Volvo has to deal with CAFE, so a lineup of high hp cars will drop their fleet average.
Finally, Volvo designs the engine to live as long as possible. High HP engines just don't live as long. The sainted iron block B series engines in the 240's hardly put out more than 100hp. Increase HP and you decrease engine life. Won't matter to you if you keep the car 4 yrs,but it will matter down the road.

#8 ·
Just because an ECU tune is "safe" power, it doesn't mean it's "equal to stock" in terms of reliability.

Those of us who would be interested in more power, are also the kinds of people who are willing to do more maintenance to get it. We understand that we're going to wear out and break stuff more often, that we have to use better fluids, and we have to shorten the maintenance intervals.

The typical Volvo customer isn't. Often times they don't even follow the manufacturer's recommendation and push it out. That means that if Volvo sold these cars with the max power they could achieve, their warranty costs would skyrocket, and their reputation for reliability would plummet.

#10 ·
Re: (gatorbrit)

Thanks for everyone's really interesting replies. They make a lot of sense.

Cheers

Do you need any help deciding which tune to choose? What kind of car do you have, and what kind of power figures do you wan to see? Would you do more bolts ons like exhaust/FMIC?

#11 ·
I have a completely stock 2005 s60 2.5T. I guess I was just browsing the IPD catalog last night and found the information on ECU upgrades interesting. But beyond that I don't know that I am ready to drop $1000 right now..

#12 ·
do it

i literally just ordered one this morning after putting it off for 3 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.