How-to 320mm front brakes - WITH COMPAIRISON
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 36
    1. #1

      How-to 320mm front brakes - WITH COMPAIRISON

      OK, first thing you need to do is confirm if you have 320mm front disc brakes. Usually they are installed on AWD 6sp transmission vehicles only, but they may be on the 6sp T5 FWD. Here are the pictures to compare the two:

      302~278mm:

      320

      Notice the red circle? This part tells you if you have 320mm brakes in the front.

      Close up of front caliper:

      TOOLS NEEDED:
      - Lug nut wrench
      - 7mm hex wrench (alen key)
      - Flathead screwdriver
      - Torque wrench (30Nm for 7mm hex, 80 lbft for lug nut torque)

      1.) Take the wheel off (no picture)

      2.) Remove the spring and save it for later. Use your flat head screwdriver and just pry it out:

      3.) Remove the protective caps for the caliper bolts (x2):

      4.) Remove the hex head nuts inside the protective boot. (Sorry, no picture)

      5.) You may need to compress the caliper slightly while it is still on the disc to get it past the ridge on the disc. Use your large flat head screwdriver to wedge between the outer pad and the caliper. Be careful not to damage your disc if you plan to re-use it.

      6.) Now that you have the caliper off, it should look something like this:

      7.) Now you need to compress the piston. I couldn't get the compression tool I borrowed from autozone into the caliper. Instead, I used the old inside pad and a 6" C-clamp. You can use a larger C-clamp, but the 6" barely fit.

      8.) Now it is time to replace the pads. Here is a comparison of the old vs new pads: (I know, I could have gone farther on these...)

      Put the pads into the caliper and put it back on the wheel. Then, put the spring clip you took out back into place. Just hook one end then the other and you should be good:




      Modified by laser8302 at 6:10 PM 6-29-2009

      Digital Boost gauge
      (My own self-made boost gauge)
      Mods: Snabb shift kit, K&N drop in filter, iPD Rear sway, iPD HDTC valve

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Brilliant!
      Thx for the info, are those the OEM pads?
      2013 Focus ST/StageII/Mountune IC/Intake/CBV/Stratified
      2005 V50T5/GT/StageI/Hohenester/Forge CBV/KN
      1997 855R/Man/StageII BSR/Forge CBV/KN

    4. #3

      Re: (goddamnswede)

      Yes, those are OEM. I paid somewhere around $150 for both the front and rear pads from the dealer.
      Digital Boost gauge
      (My own self-made boost gauge)
      Mods: Snabb shift kit, K&N drop in filter, iPD Rear sway, iPD HDTC valve

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Morristown, NJ
      Posts
      1,397

      Re: (laser8302)

      Aren't the 320 mm brakes Brembos?
      2015.5 XC60 R-Design
      Black Metallic, Platinum, Climate, BLIS

    7. #5
      Junior Member C4L3's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Posts
      81

      Re: (vivek9856)

      Unfortunately not

    8. #6
      Junior Member 40 Rouge's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Baton Rouge, LA
      Posts
      534

      Re: How-to 320mm front brakes - WITH COMPAIRISON (laser8302)

      Laser, thank you for posting those picutres. I have a question if anyone can clarify...

      So I have a FWD T5 and my rotos are the smaller ones pictured first. Are those the same as the front rotors on a 2.4i? If so, will these rotors be the right ones to buy: http://store.r1concepts.com/st...earch ?

      I know that the rear rotors are the same across all platforms, so I just needed to be sure of the fronts.


    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      542

      Re: How-to 320mm front brakes - WITH COMPAIRISON (40 Rouge)

      Quote, originally posted by 40 Rouge »
      Laser, thank you for posting those picutres. I have a question if anyone can clarify...

      So I have a FWD T5 and my rotos are the smaller ones pictured first. Are those the same as the front rotors on a 2.4i? If so, will these rotors be the right ones to buy: http://store.r1concepts.com/st...earch ?

      I know that the rear rotors are the same across all platforms, so I just needed to be sure of the fronts.

      Yes, the first set of photos is from my brake install https://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=120913 and I ordered the rotors for the 2.4I


    10. #8
      Member carreragt7's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      NorCal living in UT
      Posts
      6,773
      Why don't geartronic AWDs have the 320? I am pretty sure mine don't look like the 320s but instead the smaller ones, which is lame since I thought all of the AWDs had 320s. Never actually looked at them that close before...
      SATIN PEARL WHITE S40 T5 AWD with some sweet custom bodywork by concrete medians...

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      542

      Re: (carreragt7)

      Quote, originally posted by carreragt7 »
      Why don't geartronic AWDs have the 320? I am pretty sure mine don't look like the 320s but instead the smaller ones, which is lame since I thought all of the AWDs had 320s. Never actually looked at them that close before...

      dunno, but my FWD T5 uses the same rotors as the 2.4i and AWD geartronic AWD's. I went round and round about this as they sometimes list the 320 mm rotors for the T5's on some websites. I physically measured my rotors before I purchased them and it seems to be dependant on the type of caliper you have. The ones in the first pic are the 300 mm rotor calipers, the second super beefy ones were for the 320 mm. I think it had to also do with the wheel option that came on the car as well????
      Todd


    12. #10
      Junior Member 40 Rouge's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Baton Rouge, LA
      Posts
      534

      Re: How-to 320mm front brakes - WITH COMPAIRISON (Bigblk4)

      Thanks Bigblk4... looks like my next project will be underway soon!

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      542

      Re: How-to 320mm front brakes - WITH COMPAIRISON (40 Rouge)

      Quote, originally posted by 40 Rouge »
      Thanks Bigblk4... looks like my next project will be underway soon!


    14. #12
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Auburn/Seattle
      Posts
      1,500

      Re: How-to 320mm front brakes - WITH COMPAIRISON (Bigblk4)

      https://forums.swedespeed.com/z...36399
      The smaller ones are 305mm, that why the website confuses me.
      Senior Member Status
      True Story. Word.

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      542

      Re: How-to 320mm front brakes - WITH COMPAIRISON (kpsingh0)

      Quote, originally posted by kpsingh0 »
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/z...36399
      The smaller ones are 305mm, that why the website confuses me.

      I am running the 300 mm on my 2004.5 S40 T5. They are the ones specified for the 2.4i and they are the exact size match as the OEM rotors I replaced.

      I am not sure why they offer 278 mm (offered for some V50's), 300 mm, 305 mm (2006 2.4i) and 320 mm rotors for the S40, but from what I saw (and am using) my T5 from the factory came with the 300 mm rotors which are the same as the 2.4i.

      So I think for all praticle purpose if it has the 1st style ATE caliper its a 300 mm if it has the second style ATE caliper its 320 mm.

      Todd


    16. #14
      BTW, it doesn't go by the wheel size. Before it was believed you had to have 17" wheels to have 320mm brakes but my car is an 07 with 16" wheels (**** Michigan roads.)

      @Bigblk4:
      Sorry for jacking your picture, it was the only one I could find with the wheel off.

      Digital Boost gauge
      (My own self-made boost gauge)
      Mods: Snabb shift kit, K&N drop in filter, iPD Rear sway, iPD HDTC valve

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      542

      Re: (laser8302)

      Quote, originally posted by laser8302 »
      BTW, it doesn't go by the wheel size. Before it was believed you had to have 17" wheels to have 320mm brakes but my car is an 07 with 16" wheels (**** Michigan roads.)

      @Bigblk4:
      Sorry for jacking your picture, it was the only one I could find with the wheel off.


      Yeah it seems like the manual AWD T5s got the320 mm and everything else got 300 mm????
      Either way this thread is great cause you can physically see what caliper matches yours and know exactly what you will need to buy, so Lazer8302 thank you for putting it up As for the jacking pictures comment no worries, the photos here are public domain, if it is up you have no rights to them anymore I am more concerned with getting the right info to the group and you did that brilliantly! KUDOS!
      Todd


    18. #16
      Junior Member Voldsom Volvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Location
      Scandinavia
      Posts
      238
      Quote Originally Posted by Bigblk4 View Post
      Quote, originally posted by laser8302 »
      BTW, it doesn't go by the wheel size. Before it was believed you had to have 17" wheels to have 320mm brakes but my car is an 07 with 16" wheels (**** Michigan roads.)

      @Bigblk4:
      Sorry for jacking your picture, it was the only one I could find with the wheel off.


      Yeah it seems like the manual AWD T5s got the320 mm and everything else got 300 mm????
      Either way this thread is great cause you can physically see what caliper matches yours and know exactly what you will need to buy, so Lazer8302 thank you for putting it up As for the jacking pictures comment no worries, the photos here are public domain, if it is up you have no rights to them anymore I am more concerned with getting the right info to the group and you did that brilliantly! KUDOS!
      Todd

      Replying to an old thread here, but I think it may be of interest to some. I got a V50 T50 Auto/Geartronic FWD and it came stock with 320mm front rotors. Perhaps this only applies to European spec models.
      V50 T5 Summum Aut. MY05

      They don't make people like they used to...

    19. #17
      Member d3box1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Barrington, RI
      Posts
      1,000
      Quote Originally Posted by Voldsom Volvo View Post
      Replying to an old thread here, but I think it may be of interest to some. I got a V50 T50 Auto/Geartronic FWD and it came stock with 320mm front rotors. Perhaps this only applies to European spec models.
      pics or it didn't happen!
      BLACK 13' HYUNDAI GENESIS 2.0T - CURRENT 05' S40T5A BLACK BLISTEN/ EIBACH/ OBX/ ELEVATE/ K&N/ EST/ BSR SOLD- 98' S70T5A STOCK BLUE "A luxury car should drive itself"

    20. #18
      Member JN2k108's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      4,006
      Quote Originally Posted by d3box1 View Post
      pics or it didn't happen!
      pics with date of purchase. lol.
      2008 Passion Red C30 6 Speed M/T
      V1 with Preferred, Climate Package and Dynaudio.
      Added: R Design Spoiler+Steering Wheel+Knob, K&N Air Filter Replacement, EuroSport Tuning Strut Bar, Borla CBE, Vibratechnics Rear Engine Mount, Forge Recirculation Valve, IPD Skidplate, KW V3

    21. #19
      Junior Member Voldsom Volvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Location
      Scandinavia
      Posts
      238
      Quote Originally Posted by d3box1 View Post
      pics or it didn't happen!
      Here you go. The clearance is very high on the last picture as I had put on new wheels and just lowered it after being jacked up.




      Last edited by Voldsom Volvo; 03-28-2012 at 03:48 PM.
      V50 T5 Summum Aut. MY05

      They don't make people like they used to...

    22. #20
      Is this for an s60? Cause I have a 2006 s60 t5 and I ordered brakes 305rotors and the pads but the pads dont have the clip for my anti rattle sring apon measuring my rotors there pretty rusted but they seem between 316-320mm

    23. #21
      My rotors look like them bigg old ones

    24. #22
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Posts
      6
      Hi Laser, Why are none of the pictures showing?
      With the information I can see, your post tells me nothing. Just little square boxes.
      Obviously it is something I am doing wrong.

      Help!
      Last edited by RMBBob; 11-09-2014 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Addition

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Posts
      6
      I can only see one photo?


      Quote Originally Posted by laser8302 View Post
      OK, first thing you need to do is confirm if you have 320mm front disc brakes. Usually they are installed on AWD 6sp transmission vehicles only, but they may be on the 6sp T5 FWD. Here are the pictures to compare the two:

      302~278mm:

      320

      Notice the red circle? This part tells you if you have 320mm brakes in the front.

      Close up of front caliper:

      TOOLS NEEDED:
      - Lug nut wrench
      - 7mm hex wrench (alen key)
      - Flathead screwdriver
      - Torque wrench (30Nm for 7mm hex, 80 lbft for lug nut torque)

      1.) Take the wheel off (no picture)

      2.) Remove the spring and save it for later. Use your flat head screwdriver and just pry it out:

      3.) Remove the protective caps for the caliper bolts (x2):

      4.) Remove the hex head nuts inside the protective boot. (Sorry, no picture)

      5.) You may need to compress the caliper slightly while it is still on the disc to get it past the ridge on the disc. Use your large flat head screwdriver to wedge between the outer pad and the caliper. Be careful not to damage your disc if you plan to re-use it.

      6.) Now that you have the caliper off, it should look something like this:

      7.) Now you need to compress the piston. I couldn't get the compression tool I borrowed from autozone into the caliper. Instead, I used the old inside pad and a 6" C-clamp. You can use a larger C-clamp, but the 6" barely fit.

      8.) Now it is time to replace the pads. Here is a comparison of the old vs new pads: (I know, I could have gone farther on these...)

      Put the pads into the caliper and put it back on the wheel. Then, put the spring clip you took out back into place. Just hook one end then the other and you should be good:




      Modified by laser8302 at 6:10 PM 6-29-2009


    26. #24
      Member pczeilon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Apple Valley MN
      Posts
      4,315
      Pics are hosted externally. Unless Laser comes back & fixes things they are gone...
      You aren't doing anything wrong.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

      1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

    27. #25
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2012
      Location
      Coquitlam, BC, Can
      Posts
      485
      ^^^^^The above is a very old thread with dead photo links. This one here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...d-320mm-Set-Up should answer any questions you may have as to the 320 MM swap. Best of luck if you do undertake the conversion - its well worth the investment.

    28. #26
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2013
      Location
      Northern CA
      Posts
      3,412
      Agreed, 320mm brakes are very strong.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

    29. #27
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Location
      Poland
      Posts
      9
      Can you reupload all photos?

    30. #28
      Member pczeilon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Apple Valley MN
      Posts
      4,315
      laser8302
      Last Activity 01-03-2014 09:35 AM
      Don't hold your breath.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

      1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

    31. #29
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Sydney, Australia
      Posts
      138
      I have an auto 08 t5 awd and it comes with the 320mm rotors, same as the ford xr5 turbo (st)

    32. #30
      Junior Member Turbo Waffle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Far NE Philadelphia, PA
      Posts
      177
      I know the last post was 2 years ago, but does anybody have pics on doing this. I attempted tonight, had the caliper off the car, but I never popped out that front spring. I don’t see how popping that out would allow me to do the job.

    33. #31
      Member pczeilon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Apple Valley MN
      Posts
      4,315
      I guess you are talking about the rattle spring. What job are you trying to do? Pads? To keep things stable it's easier to work the spring off & back on with the caliper in place. The spring has a small tab that enters part of the brake backing plate. It's pretty stout. Puting it back in is fun as well. Get the two ends started & the tab behind that little catch. Then press the center toward the caliper until the little tab clips in. It takes a lot of force & needs to be done evenly or one of the ends will pop back out.

      Stolen from Audi Forum:
      Remove the caliper spring by placing a thin flat tip screwdriver in between the spring and the catch point (between the red arrows in Figure 2). This can be tricky, as you'll have to insert the screwdriver and pry the spring up until the small tooth is dislodged from the catch.

      Last edited by pczeilon; 04-05-2018 at 11:37 PM.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

      1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

    34. #32
      Junior Member Turbo Waffle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Location
      Far NE Philadelphia, PA
      Posts
      177
      That helps, Thanks!!

      The car needs (or could need) brakes all the way around to pass inspection. I took off the front caliper with the 2 7mm hex bolts under the dust covers and then the 2 15mm bolts holding on the caliper bracket with ease. Even had the rotor off as well.

      Struggled for about 2 hours trying to get the pad out of the caliper. Was able to pop the piston side out, but couldn't get the outside one out with the spring attached. And since I couldn't get the outside pad out, I couldn't get the piston side pad out and it was kinda of floating there.

      I was able to get it back together, build back brake pressure, and I painted the calipers too. But I didn't change them.

    35. #33
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Posts
      574
      Nobody mentioned ATE versus Akebono? I found out the hard way after being shipped Akebono-style Bosch Quietcast that I have ATE.

      Akebono have wire clips, instead of the leaf style.
      2009 Hilton Stage 2 C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Quaife LSD installed! Has anyone else noticed gear whir in 3rd and 4th? Or a "clunk" from the SPEC SMF and R clutch (or front LCA poly bushings?) at startup?
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k, seems no oil loss yet at 100k.

    36. #34
      Member pczeilon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Apple Valley MN
      Posts
      4,315
      You are confusing brands with size. You can get Akebono, Bosch, etc. pads for 320mm. Just need to order the correct part #.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

      1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

    37. #35
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Posts
      574
      Quote Originally Posted by pczeilon View Post
      You are confusing brands with size. You can get Akebono, Bosch, etc. pads for 320mm. Just need to order the correct part #.
      Oh, that it were so easy. There are both brands of 320mm calipers shipped on the cars. To make it more confusing, Akebono also make pads for ATE calipers, which are the ones pictured above.
      Last edited by dbphillips; 12-26-2019 at 02:07 AM.
      2009 Hilton Stage 2 C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Quaife LSD installed! Has anyone else noticed gear whir in 3rd and 4th? Or a "clunk" from the SPEC SMF and R clutch (or front LCA poly bushings?) at startup?
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k, seems no oil loss yet at 100k.

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast