Alright kids, update time. That red car took way too long but it's out of the way for good, and I can get back on the fun stuff. And get back on I have.
Last week I got the T5 motor on the stand and stripped most of the attached hardware:
The circle is from the last time I wiped dust off the car. Poor car. My boss has done a lot of woodworking in here since I parked it, so it's actually abnormally dusty in the warehouse. Hopefully it's not always like that.
On Sunday I spent an hour or so stripping all the undercoating off the headlight buckets so they can be sandblasted in preparation for POR15. I used a heat gun and scraper, followed by scrubbing in a parts washer. This was the last hurdle preventing me from rustproofing the front end of the car, now all the smaller parts can be sandblasted. Then I just have to prep the car itself and the fenders/grille.
Then I flipped the motor and started playing with the RWD oil pan and motor mounts. you can see that I just have to shorten the pan by 2 bolt holes.
So then the next big thing blocking my progress is the hulk of a car body hogging up my workspace. I just want to saw 4 things out of it. The rear suspension mounting points, the center bearing hanger, and the transmission tunnel. Here's my buddy Martin holding the car up. It is surprisingly light in this condition, we just lifted it easily.
From the top:
So I started with the center bearing hanger section.
Then it was time to pull the gas tank...
Because I sawed a fuel line and it was siphoning all the 15 year old fuel out on to the floor!
Next I started on the rear suspension. I tried to be clever with this, which is why there are a ton of ugly cuts. We used a battery powered sawzall with a 10 inch blade, and an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. It went pretty fast.
Driver's side ready to come out:
Once we had the driver's side out we could see easily how to cut it out with the least hassle. So to get access to the passenger side mount, Martin kicked the car over. he also wanted to drop it from a forklift but I'm not done with it yet. I made a movie of him kicking it over, was fun. Yes we were listening to trance. He's a rave kinda dude and has a huge stereo in the warehouse. I don't know why there is a giant INDIANAPOLIS sign in here.
After that, we cut out the other side, and my sawzall batteries were done. Since I have to recharge before doing the tranny tunnel, we just left it upside down, put it back on dollies and rolled it back into my slot. I'll cut that out tomorrow.
Here's the damage so far:
The mess left behind:
And the 10 inch blade of doom. Good stuff.
So in the end, I don't actually know if any of this will weld into my car, but I can at least use it all for templates to do custom stuff otherwise. Especially the rear axle mounts. I would so much rather modify the car body to accept the late model trailing arms than to modify them, even though modifying the arms will be easier. I just don't think the mounting scheme is as strong, and I'm eventually going to be putting 300 or so HP through it. Anyway, I'll cross those bridges when I come to them.
It's been a fun week.