iPod & Bluetooth solution for S40/V50 basic sound system -- Parrot MKi9200
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hey guys i wanted to share this info because i had been searching for a long time how to integrate my ipod/iphone into my car (which is an S40 with the basic sound system). The dension 500 thing didnt work put for me because i dont have a cd changer. The parrot mki9200 is the best thing i had ever invested in my car by far. It has bluetooth integration and ipod/iphone integration too. It has a cool remote that harnesses into the steering wheel and a brilliant screen. Research it if you want more info. I assume that it voids my warranty because the guys at the audio shop told me that the had to split some wires or something but what the heck i really wanted this kit!! i am posting this message because if there was someone that found this out before and if i didnt know about this...i would be pissed...this my solution to all my problems with my car and now i love it even more!! hehe

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: iPod & Bluetooth solution for S40/V50 basic sound system -- Parrot MKi9200 (quique88_tennis)

How's the audio quality? I got the impression that it only sent sound from your ipod to the front speakers, not the rear. Also, do all the ipod features work when connected to the parrot (playlists, random shuffle, etc.)?

Re: iPod & Bluetooth solution for S40/V50 basic sound system -- Parrot MKi9200 (quique88_tennis)

This had been talked about on here before but not in a lot of detail. It looks like a decent option for those without the Dension option.
      SATIN PEARL WHITE S40 T5 AWD with some sweet custom bodywork by concrete medians...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: iPod & Bluetooth solution for S40/V50 basic sound system -- Parrot MKi9200 (ion)

I’d like to know more about the Parrot’s sound quality as well because I’m trying to decide between the Parrot, Denison, and FM modulator for my 06 premium audio.
      The Denison looks like the best solution but it’s very expensive.

The Parrot looks promising for BT hands-free but I’m not confident that an iPod or MP3 player will integrate very well with the Volvo head unit. As far as I understand, the Parrot Bluetooth can mute the audio just fine and you can use a phone like any other built-in BT solution. However, does the iPod only work through the muted speakers? As ion suggested, maybe an iPod only works through the front speakers using the Parrot? It might make sense since it doesn’t seem like anything that runs through the Parrot can be processed via Dolby Pro Logic II in the Volvo’s head unit.

I’d be interested to know how an iPod run through an FM modulator, which should be able to be processed by the HU as Dolby PL II, would compare to the Parrot MKi9200 without Dolby PL II processing.

do you have any pics of where you installed everything and just how it looks?

much appreciated.

man this could be the solution for all us Basic sound system folks! You have to give us more detail and more pictures! How difficult was the install? How much did it cost in total? Any pics and videos would be much appreciated.

Re: iPod & Bluetooth solution for S40/V50 basic sound system -- Parrot MKi9200 (zippy753)

Quote, originally posted by zippy753 »
      I’d be interested to know how an iPod run through an FM modulator, which should be able to be processed by the HU as Dolby PL II, would compare to the Parrot MKi9200 without Dolby PL II processing.

I would say the FM modulator greatly depends on where you are. I've had the FM transmitter for 2 years on my previous car in a suburban place and was happy with the sound (low end car with low end sound system, so I wasn't expecting much), but since I moved to Los Angeles, there is just too much interference with the FM transmitter. The FM modulator is better, but you can still hear interference. I've placed the modulator at the front, so the antenna wire ran from the HU to the back and front again to the FM modulator, which isn't the best setup. Sound was passable, but sometimes there is still sudden loss of volume which I presume is the interference I get from driving through a certain area (could be poor workmanship too).

Also, IIRC, the Parrot wires direct to the speakers. I've had a friend who had a Celica with premium sound (ie factory amp). We fixed a car pc on it and by-passed the factory amp. He was extremely unhappy with the sound volume and quality with that built in amp (amp + monitor in 1 unit). In the end, he go a aftermarket HU with an aux in and pre-amped outputs to make use of the factory amp.

I would think that you would be greatly disappointed with the parrot, if you were to bypass the factory premium audio amp. And since you are also in Los Angeles, I would presume that there is too much interference for that. I've a friend who is interested in putting the FM modulator on his Audi A4, but in the even he does not want it, we can meet and quickly fix it on without to see if you like the sound.

Used Dension GW500 for sale, free test and installation in Los Angeles area. S40 T5 sold.

Re: iPod & Bluetooth solution for S40/V50 basic sound system -- Parrot MKi9200 (fone)

Thanks for that, I guess I was thinking a modulator would be OK since it's hardwired and possibly as good as FM...though, I know how bad an FM transmitter is in LA. The interference around here is brutal.

...and I see what you're saying about the Parrot and it not using the car's amp - not good. The modulator might be just OK but I think I'll be happier with the Denison. Thanks for the insight, appreciated.

Ok, the way I wired mine is not very good and I didn't use very good quality wires. I placed the modulator at the front of the car, running the antenna line from the front to the back, which I believe acts as an antenna too (I don't really specialize in antennae). But if you place the modulator at the rear of the car, you would have required the aux in line to run to the front, which I do not have wires for.

However, problem with FM modulator option (at least the one I had) is that it does not charge the ipod, nor does it automatically starts and pauses the ipod when you start / stop your engine like the dension does.

Used Dension GW500 for sale, free test and installation in Los Angeles area. S40 T5 sold.

Re: iPod & Bluetooth solution for S40/V50 basic sound system -- Parrot MKi9200 (ion)

Quote, originally posted by ion »
      I got the impression that it only sent sound from your ipod to the front speakers, not the rear.

Correct. I went over this before here. In summery:
      Quote, originally posted by theshadow27 »
      It will work on any S40/V50 with the AEM installed.

The mute output mutes all speakers hooked to the factory amp(premium)/HU(basic). This output is active whenever the unit is on.

There is a relay inside of the unit that switches the wires that supply the 2 front speakers between the Volvo amplifier and the Parrot amplifier, whenever the mute output is active. So it doesn't matter how many speakers or what type of amp, it simply switches the inputs to two of them an turns off the rest via the MUTE input on the AEM.

The Parrot unit has an internal amplifier which provides 20 watts to 2 speakers. This happens regardless of factory audio configuration, make, or model. It would work just as well on an Civic or a Bugatti (which is not very well).

This is actually how the OE Volvo cellphone interface works for voice calls, but IMHO it's a poor solution for audio. Even the basic system will loose 50% of power (20w x 2ch vs 20w x 4ch). Would be a poor life choice for someone with premium for sure, since you go from 75w x 4ch + 25w x 1ch down to 20w x 2ch - 87% less power - and loose the sub if you have one.

Quote, originally posted by fone »

However, problem with FM modulator option (at least the one I had) is that it does not charge the ipod, nor does it automatically starts and pauses the ipod when you start / stop your engine like the dension does.

There are FM mod packages that do charge the iPod, and some of them cost as much as the dension... My problem with them is loosing the steering wheel/console controls and the song titles.

If you put the FM modulator directly next to the AFM (am fm module) and hard wire the antennas together, the sound quality isn't bad. The factory antenna uses something akin to a 9v battery connector. Use shielded cable grounded to the chassis between the module and your unit, and make sure the power for the modulator is grounded at the same place as the AFM. The aux in wire is just standard 2 conductor + shield audio cable, but it's good to run the positive wire for the unit up to the front as well so it can be switched on and off remotely.

Modified by theshadow27 at 6:18 AM 10-3-2009

'05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

The audio quality is excellent because it is a wired one....the sound is outputed through all the speakers, except on a bluetooth call...that it only uses both front speakers

Re: iPod & Bluetooth solution for S40/V50 basic sound system -- Parrot MKi9200 (theshadow27)

Any do-it-yourself pros here have any ideas how to get this to output to the HU/amp instead of the speakers directly? I would love a combination of the muting for the phone to just 2 speakers, and full utilization of sound system for everything else, but it doesn't sound like this is possible.

Because i have the basic sound system...i asked the guys at the audio shop to install an amplified subwoofer...i dont know if this helps but i guess you could use the subwoofer from the premium sound system.
      http://www.parrot.com/blog/wp-...e.pdf

hmm.. still need some pictures if possible . really tempted to do this.

Re: (Vash13)

Quote, originally posted by Vash13 »
      hmm.. still need some pictures if possible . really tempted to do this.

+1

yeah ok....ill post some tomorrow if i have time.

Yeah pics please. Everytime we hear about this the person drops off before we can get more details. So anything you have on this would be great

Here are the pics: (sorry for the crappy pics i took them off my iphone)

Re: (quique88_tennis)

I'd love to believe this is the solution to the plague of Basic, but I can't. The spec sheet says it's got two channels. How does it drive 6 speakers? It's not powerful enough to run in parallal.

If you provide schematics or description of how it's wired I'll reconsider, but this reeks of bs.

'05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

Woahh! quique88_tennis What happened to your centre console? That's been bent to bits presumably in fitting the Parrott?
      2009 Volvo V50 1.6D DRIVe SE, Saville Grey.
      2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE, Metallic Silver, Winter Pack, Sunroof.

heheh...no man that was when the audio shop installed another sound system but they payed me....i just dont want to buy another one and risk to scratch it or something....im gonna buy it when i plan to sell the car or something....it does not bother me that much...what do you guys think i should do? theres a guy on ebay selling them for $160....does anyone know if i can get a new one for less?

hm.. u sure you have basic sound? you have the sound controls on the steering wheel. I don't have those controls.

I have basic with the controls. I think its an EU/US thing

Wait so you're using an FM transmitter? Does the radio have to be on FM for the module to work? I thought you were saying that they hard-wired it into the speakers, and used the Parrot internal amp.

Writeups

no...im not using fm....sorry about that....i just wasnt using the parrot at the moment because right now i dont have a camera and i used the iphone to take the pictures.....the iphone cable is in the glove compartment so i couldnt reach out to take these pics....i ordered a dock extension cable to fix the hassle about opening the glove compartment to connect the phone every time....its supposed to arrive tomorrow.....then ill take the pics while using the parrot simultaneously.....sorry about that confusion guys.

**the radio mutes when you use the parrot....you can leave it on or turn it off

Was the install a complete breeze or was there some things the installer had to improvise on? Just want to know because not every isntaller has real knowledge on this stuff.

Yeah i think they improvised in some stuff....i ordered the harness that was assigned for the V50 in quickconnectproducts.com and the installer said that there was no way the could connect the harness with the back of the radio....the told me that the cut some cables and stuff...i guess that they used the harness....im gonna ask them and make sure.

yeah.. i am quite interested in this; however, if the install isn't straight forward I don't think many audio shops can do it. I find lots of audio shops are pretty much noobs and just read the instructions just like anybody else.

Re: (quique88_tennis)

I was quoted by an audio shop today close to 1 grand to purchase and install a Parrot mki9200 in my car. What a joke. Not worth the price to get just an ipod or aux-in.

Just saw this over at C30W when I was reading that nutso audio make-over thread:

http://c30world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8300

John Edgar

Black 06 S40 T5 || RICA Stage II || 3" EST DP ||

Re: iPod & Bluetooth solution for S40/V50 basic sound system -- Parrot MKi9200 (theshadow27)

So people,

Is there a definitive answer to whether the Parrot MKi9200 plays through all premium audio system speakers, or will it only play through the front two??

Thanks.

Electric silver metalic MY2005 Volvo S40 2.0D (DW10 BTED4 HDi) 100kw(136hp) @ 4500rpm | [email protected]

Re: iPod & Bluetooth solution for S40/V50 basic sound system -- Parrot MKi9200 (Guru)

If you look on the website, as long as you wire it properly it will play over all the speakers, but from the sounds of it, you will have to get creative with how it is actually wired into your specific vehicle depending on how many speakers your car has and how they are amplified.

http://www.parrot.com/usa/supp...grams

Re: iPod & Bluetooth solution for S40/V50 basic sound system -- Parrot MKi9200 (Jdes9924)

Would love to see some installation pictures, this may be the way to go

Re: iPod & Bluetooth solution for S40/V50 basic sound system -- Parrot MKi9200 (Jdes9924)

Thanks Jdes, apparently if you use the right harnesses and adapters then there should not be any issues with the rest of the speakers, namely a sot-045 harness , and a 5m extension lead 06-429b.

Looking for install pics too, but can't find any yet.

Electric silver metalic MY2005 Volvo S40 2.0D (DW10 BTED4 HDi) 100kw(136hp) @ 4500rpm | [email protected]

Re: iPod & Bluetooth solution for S40/V50 basic sound system -- Parrot MKi9200 (Guru)

according to the post creator it was not plug and play, could you post up a link to the harnesses?

If im reading this thread correctly there may be differences in stereos US vs. Euro models. so you might have an adapter available! we might not.

Someone have shots of the rear of a radio?

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast