2005-2007 V70 in Snow?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2005-2007 V70 in Snow?

Can anyone offer some insight on how the V70's handle in the snow-not the XC models. There is some snow where I live, but, I like the V70's handling a bit better than the XC...I am wondering what people who own this car have experienced. Thanks for your insight.

JP

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

FWD V70 in the snow is pure crap

AWD XC in snow wooohooo fun
      Powersliding FTW
      http://s267.photobucket.com/al...2.flv

/2006 S60 T5 /K24/R Calipers/17" pegs/OBX/Koni/Eibach/JVC/SNABB/IPDSway,
      /2004 V70 R/M66 /05+ Tails/ 05+ Console/Evolve Intake/IPD Sways/OZ/Kenwood/PHUZZ
      /2005 V70XC -Stock
      /2004 V70XC - Project Truk
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance. - me
      That’s because you savagely dismember Volvos. That’s not ownership, that’s a serial killing kidnapper!

Re: (Chilled Man)

Quote, originally posted by Chilled Man »

I concur. Ours is just short of a sled in the snow.

Unless you push the "W" button and then...wait...nope

2011 Volvo XC70 T6: Caper Green/Sandstone Beige, 144,000+ miles
      2004 Volvo V70R: Silver Metallic/Gobi, 267,000+ miles
      2002 Volvo V70 T5: White/Charcoal Leather *SOLD*
      2000 Volvo S70 SE: Black/Charcoal Leather *TOTALED*

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: (thesternowl)

With snow tires all-round, I tow a snowmobile--used to tow two--LOOKING for slippery conditions and really didn't have a problem. The snow tires are 3x the traction of "all-seasons". I was surprised how well they worked.

Re: (ttraynor)

Quote, originally posted by ttraynor »
      With snow tires all-round, I tow a snowmobile--used to tow two--LOOKING for slippery conditions and really didn't have a problem. The snow tires are 3x the traction of "all-seasons". I was surprised how well they worked.

FWD?

Re: (ttraynor)

Put decent winter rubber on them and they work pretty well. They will plow a bit in the corners like just about every FWD car but no worse than many. If you do want to consider an AWD version, they work better than the last Quattro I had but don't work as well as my last Range Rover.

Cheers,

Bill

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire/Black)
      '05 V70R (Magic Blue/Gobi)
      '05 XC70 (Lava Sand/Gray)
      '96 850R (Red) - sadly missed genuine Cdn-spec w/M59 and 250HP
      Six other past Volvos, some missed others not so much.

Re: 2005-2007 V70 in Snow? (Schoolhouseink)

Works just fine with 4 snows in it.
      2002 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity -beater duty now
      2013 XC60 T6R-design- IPD exhaust- Ice White
      2015.5 V60 Polestar- Black- do88/TDI/GFB/Elevate rear bar [email protected] mph
      Mopar Tech

Re: 2005-2007 V70 in Snow? (BellevilleV70)

Thanks!

Front wheel drive--yes. But I am searching for a awd car as I type....

Re: (Chilled Man)

Quote, originally posted by Chilled Man »

Says who? I have driven my car in up to 6" of snow...with A/s tires, mind you.

Quote »
      AWD XC in snow wooohooo fun

I agree. There is no contest. However, the V70s (FWD) are not crap in the snow.

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Re: (GrecianVolvo)

Front-drive V70's are NOT crap in the snow and ice, 4 good snow/ice tires make it great (Blizzaks here). I've driven mine in some SERIOUS snow and never been stuck, slid off the road, etc. As with any vehicle, the limiting factor is ground clearance: when the car starts to plow snow it's not going to go far. But I've done the 400-mile round trip from here to Detroit and back in blizzard conditions (as well as just plain snowstorms, ha ha) quite a few times without a slip. We average 95 inches/year here, have had 120+ the past couple of years. BTW, I also have a 4wd Tahoe: I'd much rather drive the V70 unless the snow is real deep (10+ inches or so), traction is just as good if not better with the snow tires on it.

I'll take my V70 thru pretty much any snow that an XC will go thru (see ground clearance, above) but I don't have the potential AWD issues and relatively mushy ride.

Take care, Ted
      '04 V70 T5 Silver-SOLD
      '98 V70 T5 Red Wagon "Radio Flyer"
      '07 Ford Freestyle "The Better XC90"
      '95 Alfa 164LS Sedan '82 Lancia Zagato '74 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: (WhoaTed)

Perhaps I need to get a dedicated set of wheels and snow tires.

My 17x7" Amalthea's with Yoko H4S's were plain worthless in last years snow.

Perhaps you should.

16" (205/55/16) SNOW tires work just fine on most FWD Gen1 and P2 Volvos.
      I have my AWD's here but most of the time I used to drive my 850R in the snow with 16" Gisvaleds (sp?) and it went everywhere!

(The car came with 2 sets of wheels and tires so I decided why not, and it worked out just fine)

Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 114K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 150,000 miles and still near perfect!

As mentioned, going with snow tires are the biggest thing you can do. AWD vs. FWD is really only a "get-going" difference -- once you're rolling, the cars behave very similarly. So, if you expect to be stopped at the bottom of snowy/icy hills a lot, AWD will get you up them more easily and consistently. If you're talking about general tooling around, FWD is plenty sufficient.

I've been stuck twice in 5 years. Once I stopped on glare ice on an uphill (idiot driver in front of me saw ice and decided to just swerve and dump it in the ditch rather than keep the gas pedal down lightly and continue up the hill) and couldn't get going. AWD would probably have gotten me on my way, as I was spinning just the one tire (my pre-Quaife LSD days). The second time was coming up a twisty incline with 6-8 inches of unplowed snow. I just couldn't carry enough speed to make up for my (again, one wheel) slipping. AWD would probably have gotten me up (actually, I believe the LSD would have, too).

Two times in 5 years in Vermont's not bad. I've certainly gotten into and out of more places than many other FWD and RWD cars (and sometimes AWD without snow tires). I run dedicated tires in the winter (Nokian Hakka NRWs [all season with winter service badging] for the first incident; Dunlop SP Wintersport 3Ds [snow tires] for the second).

Nautic Blue 2004 V70 T5M (Quaife LSD, IPD Stage 1, IPD sways + end links, Eibach springs + Bilstein HD Sport struts)

Re: 2005-2007 V70 in Snow? (VTT5)

2004 T5 Manual...how many of those came State-side? Add Quaife LSD...

...so jealous.

Quote, originally posted by thesternowl »
      Perhaps I need to get a dedicated set of wheels and snow tires.

My 17x7" Amalthea's with Yoko H4S's were plain worthless in last years snow.

I have a set of 16" wheels/snows for winter, and run the Amaltheas in the summer. 215/60-16 snows if I remember correctly. Time to dig them out of the shop now that I think of it, first serious slippery day is coming up before too long...

Take care, Ted
      '04 V70 T5 Silver-SOLD

A topic for me! The last 2 years, we got more than 5m of snow here!

Last winter, I've sell my V70 FWD and change it for a XC70 AWD because with all the traction control system the car have, even with the best winter tires ever made (Nokian Hakka5), the car won't go uphill in my street. Engine cut-off, brakes works and try to stop the spinning wheel, etc. The result was the car don't move, or very slowly, and I was a little bit too slow on the road.

AWD or XC is a better choice if you want a better feeling in snow, but do you get so much snow down there?

Actually, we do get a good bit of snow-and I do live on a hilly street-dangerously hilly-a neighbor of mine who is a mechanic on volvo's had said that when he moved to the area he had a RWD Volvo and could not make it up our hill-I am beginning to lean in the direction of the AWD XC or (possibly a Forrester)-just need to know which year XC's to avoid!!

Thanks, and that is good to know---I really like to V70 and the drive on the XC is not nearly as 'smooth'-although it is wet and snowy here in NEPA 6 mos of the year-it seems with good snow tires I will be OK-I mean, I currently have a Civic and I have rarely had any major concerns in the snow.

Re: (Schoolhouseink)

Does the state of PA allow studded tires? Conti has the Altimax, with factory studs, and made in Germany. This year Conti is shipping a new style of stud, that should be more aggressive than the round pins.

Re: (Miliceman)

Quote, originally posted by Miliceman »

Last winter, I've sell my V70 FWD and change it for a XC70 AWD because with all the traction control system the car have...Engine cut-off, brakes works and try to stop the spinning wheel, etc. The result was the car don't move, or very slowly, and I was a little bit too slow on the road.

AWD or XC is a better choice if you want a better feeling in snow, but do you get so much snow down there?

I simply switch the DSTC off in situations like that but it's very rare that I need to. Your pic looks like my neighborhood does in the winter, ha ha ha. But seriously, I've NEVER had a problem with ice on hills etc...after a few "road trips" in nasty, nasty snowstorms the guys at work are stunned by how good this car is in heavy snow and ice. It just plain grips in everything. Better feeling? My V70 gives me better "feeling" in the snow/ice than my Tahoe does, based on "feeling" I'd much rather drive the wagon. YMMV of course...

BTW, RWD Volvos and FWD are worlds apart in the winter.

Take care, Ted
      '04 V70 T5 Silver-SOLD

Re: (WhoaTed)

Thanks for this-in NEPA we do get quite a bit of snow-we are supposed to have some soon actually-10 degrees colder here than in NJ or NYC right now and throughout---we are also very hilly for the most part and a good bit of areas are difficult terrain if I go even slightly off road-through the woods and the like-i think I will begin looking for an XC70 simply so I do not have to have the worry-we're expecting our 2nd child in November---i am finding that I have gotten a little off road wiht the civic and it is not the ride i want---I have to find an XC-as much as I like the T5-the XC comes in Turbo too...

Re: (Schoolhouseink)

Quote, originally posted by Schoolhouseink »
      I am beginning to lean in the direction of the AWD XC or (possibly a Forrester)-just need to know which year XC's to avoid!!

Go for 2003+ to get the Haldex AWD and avoid the 2001 auto transmission failures.

Or have Chilled Man build you one with a manual transmission!

Nautic Blue 2004 V70 T5M (Quaife LSD, IPD Stage 1, IPD sways + end links, Eibach springs + Bilstein HD Sport struts)

I recently discovered the the 2006 V70 R is an AWD vehicle-anyone have experience with this car in the snow? I think i found a nice one.

I did a write-up back in 2006 on the Nokian RSi snow tires and my V70R. Vredestein snow tires have been the best combination of a snow tire with normal driving characteristics on dry pavement.

https://www.swedespeed.com/news....html

2017 S90 Inscription (daily)
      2016 S60CC (next generation Volvo driver)
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus (family)

Previous:
      2019 XC40 R-Design T5 AWD, 2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD , 2018 V60 Polestar #103/1500, 2016 XC90 R-Design, 2013 C30 Polestar #141/250,2015.5 V60 R-Design,1998 V70 T5M, 1999 S70 GLT, 2000 V70R, 2004 V70R, 2006 V70R Sonic Blue, 2006 V70R Electric Silver, 2007 V70R Passion Red, 2003 XC90 2.5T, 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Electric Silver, 2007 XC90 Sport V8, Passion Red

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements