D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu****a Ballasts, Morimoto 5000K, 35W - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: (theshadow27)

So far with a side by side comparison thats exactly it, the lens and the shields are different. As for the reflector shape they are a bit different. You can tell the bulb sits further back in the xenon projectors and just like the lenses rather than being more clear like on the xenons the reflector in the stockers isnt as smooth and shiny.

Id REALLY like to get my hands on a xenon S40 head light now to start comparing those. Because I actually installed one of the E46 projectors last night and because the D2S bulbs are straight sits really far back in the head lamp. Dunno if the covers will fit with the large connector on the back

Current: 11 ISF | P2 V70R
      Past: 14 C300 AMG Sport+ | E46M | S40 T5 | NA1 NSX | Acura TL | LS-T DC4

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

So much for bolt on
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

Haha I know right. Well luckily the projectors themselves bolt right up to the factory holes so to an extent. The operation however was expected to be to a little difficult with the track record we have for HID operation lol.

The results were good enough to motivate me to push the project though. Ill make them work at any cost now. Looks amazing

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Questions:

1. Is everything done by eye? By that I mean cutting and curving the shields.

1a. How easy is it to do? By that I mean fine tuning it. Does the projector need to be out of the headlight assembly or can it be done while installed (though outside of the car)?

2. Is there any way of getting a compromise between the stock and the curved shield to the point where you'd still have HID high beams?

3. For the lense, you said that you had to grind down a notch. Was it on the lense itself or on the projector brackets?

4. Is the light pattern even across? No fading to the sides etc?

Car, Passenger, 1ea

Re: (I Saw 50)

Questions:

1. Is everything done by eye? By that I mean cutting and curving the shields.

Yes, all done by eye balling it.

1a. How easy is it to do? By that I mean fine tuning it. Does the projector need to be out of the headlight assembly or can it be done while installed (though outside of the car)?

That took me like a minute of back and forth adjusting. When actually making the finalized shields probably a lot more time consuming as I imagine tightening the bolts or whatever you use to hold the shield may adjust the light a bit.

2. Is there any way of getting a compromise between the stock and the curved shield to the point where you'd still have HID high beams?

Yeah, I believe there is. Theres a guy on HIDplanet forums thats doing the same E46 setup as me but in another car and will be making his bixenon capable. He believes the straight shields work the same as the curved on these projectors which will make it very possible.

3. For the lense, you said that you had to grind down a notch. Was it on the lense itself or on the projector brackets?

Projector brackets itself. I merely took a dremel to it. Didnt want to notch the lens itself like the factory ones are. Would rather change the holder than modify the lens in any way.

4. Is the light pattern even across? No fading to the sides etc?

As far as I know the beam is pretty wide. The pictures I have shown are taken from maybe 10 feet from the wall and the projectors are sitting on the upper rad support much closer than the factory head lights.

Needed to get some further away shots. At this point have to finalize the functionality of the lights before going any further though. Other than throwing the clear lens on the stock projector

Hope that answers some of your questions

Re: (ForceFed Motorsports) Since There was Light !

This is a Well Lite - Mod - You Doing

Hope You get the Extra 100 Ft. out of the Lights .

Because You have Gotten about to 3 Extra Miles - Out of this Post : LOL

Answered all of them. Now I'll just let you guinea pig away and hope to see the end results.

Really appreciate it when forum members decide to do things like this and post information up.

Thanks.

Car, Passenger, 1ea

Haha no problem, someone has to be the one to make the mistakes other get to learn from

All in all I think the project should go smoothly once the PWM bs gets figured out

Re: (I Saw 50) LOL - He Knows I was just Having a Bit of Fun !

Hope Ya Get an Extra - 100 miles out of the Post , LOL

Extra 100 Ft of Lighting - for those High Speed - Cannon Ball Runs

Distance ,Means a lot in Safty Terms Also.

Wider Viewing . Trade Off is the - Life of the Bulb . +30's are 30% Less
      +50's are 50 % Less and so on for the Halogen's .

Matched Sets will do go from $17.00 - $97.00 - You'll just have to - Read Up
      on Quality of those . These above mentioned Bulbs Up Grades aren't as Nice as what Kyle is doing . You will get Improvement .

ps: Bulb Life is a Consideration where our STD. Bulbs will be 820 hrs-1100hrs.
      the +40 will be 320-400 Hrs. ( 90 Day Warranty ).

Xenon's - HID's - Spec's

HID's with a 6000k Crystal White will have:
      Bulb Type: Xenon
      Bulb Size: D2C (Replaces D2S or D2R)
      Wattage Draw: 35
      Average Luminance: 202500 cd
      Color: Crystal White
      Color Temp: 6000K
      Estimated bulb life: 3000+ Hours
      -----------------------------------------( Warranty: 1 Year ))--------------------------------

Re: (ForceFed Motorsports) - On VW's

VW's

Vag com's long coding helper has an option to select - Xenon Headlamps .

Seems Our Cars have these as an - Option , one would Think Turning
      On the Option would Resolve It .

Modified by EngTech at 8:16 PM 10-30-2009

Re: (ForceFed Motorsports) - On VW's (EngTech)

Im not sure, I checked the SW capabilities as far as factory options and Lighting 1-3 were just the light switch options for DRL's nothing about HIDs.

So, while on the subject of retrofitting... Kyle, have you thought about making the fogs projection? On the website you listed it looks like they have quite a few options for the projectors, so are there any of those that would fit inside our fogs?? I already have factory HID's, so I might as well get working on the fogs to keep up with the rest of you!
      2005 S40 T5 FWD

- K&N Typhoon Intake, Evolve Intercooler, 3" Custom Turbo Back Magnaflow Exhaust, Forge Diverter Valve, RICA Stage II, Eibach Coils, Evolve Slotted Rotors, Evolve M10's

Re: (S40Racer)

Yeah its possible actually. Wouldnt be too tough to retrofit a lens inside the housing. Being that they are H11's any standard HID kit would work. Im not that big into HID fogs so wouldnt do it personally but if thats something you like it can be done

If your upgrading the fogs for the purpose of inclement weather I would change out the entire assembly with a dichroic fog kit, best fog performance IMHO otherwise HID if light output is the only concern.

My dichroics on my truck PIAA something series no longer made were awesome in fog, rain and everyday (night) use the light output was amazing as well but they were rated for offroad use only 85W (I think) .

2009 V50 T5 AWD GT: Work in progress (1) (2) (3)

Quote, originally posted by ForceFed Motorsports »
      All in all I think the project should go smoothly once the PWM bs gets figured out

https://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=128714
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

So I've been working with [email protected] and he has been extremely helpful and professional. They are really as awesome as Kyle said in the OP.

While the E46 projectors are probably better than ours, Matt recommend the FX-R projectors as the best on the market. Why settle for less than the best just because it's not bolt in?

So here's the plan. I got a defective FX-R from Matt to get accurate dimensions. The mounting requirements that I drew up are:

If I could get Kyle (or someone else with extra headlight bits lying about) to draw up the mounting points for the stockers (or E46 since they're the same) I can finish the above CAD into something that can be milled out via CNC, then Matt (or someone else if he doesn't want to) can offer bolt-in FX-R projectors.

Sooo... Anyone have decent measurement/drafting and an extra headlight? Mine are kindof tied up, might be a while before I have time to rip them apart.

Writeups

Thats sick, the FX-R's produce awesome output... Ive been following this thread though on hidplanet.com and am very happy with the results he has pulled off so at least I now know its possible to produce decent light out of the E46's lol

http://www.hidplanet.com/forum...rt=25

I have the lights, access to calipers for accurate measurements, drafting and CAD experience, but I'm not sure what measurements your looking for and no CAD software at the moment. If you could use my headlight pictures to describe what measurements your looking for, I'll do an oldschool pencil draft and scan it and upload here or email it to you. Let me know.

Re: (slrising)

Update:

Got my PWM solution from shadow today and looks very professional, thank you sir

Hella busy this weekend with my buddies wedding stuff but will hopefully get this install soon and then can begin the final process of the shields. What I need is a battery setup so I can do the tweaking outside of the vehicle. Right now im having to hook up the relay harness and remove the lights in order to do my testing which makes it time consuming in and out frequently.

Im curious though, with this PWM magic box if the relay harness I got thru TRS is even required, would be sweet to have all my factory wiring used AND be able to use my 35W setup... we shall see. Either way Ill be satisfied.

In the end glad I went the route I did being the guinea pig as I can always upgrade later down the road and sell this setup to a fellow member

Quote, originally posted by slrising »
      I have the lights, access to calipers for accurate measurements, drafting and CAD experience, but I'm not sure what measurements your looking for and no CAD software at the moment. If you could use my headlight pictures to describe what measurements your looking for, I'll do an oldschool pencil draft and scan it and upload here or email it to you. Let me know.

Sweet. PM sent.

Got my PWM solution from shadow today and looks very professional, thank you sir

My pleasure

Im curious though, with this PWM magic box if the relay harness I got thru TRS is even required, would be sweet to have all my factory wiring used AND be able to use my 35W setup... we shall see. Either way Ill be satisfied.

Like I said, 85% chance it works with the 35w with the stock wires, as they draw pretty close to 3 amps running and it's looking for 4 amps (see 55 vs 35 vs halogen shootout for more details). The relay harness should not be necessary in any case, the worse case scenario is having to use some 6.8ohm resistors in parallel with the whole shebang.

For the install, the most important part is getting a good ground. For your box, as long as the red wires connect to the CEM and the orange wires connect to the headlights it doesn't matter which is which, so don't drive yourself crazy trying to figure out which does which (the worst that happens is the left goes to the right and vice-versa).

Let us know how it goes, lookin forward to install with pics

Edited the above for clarity.

Modified by theshadow27 at 5:55 AM 11-7-2009

Writeups

PM, replied.

Got glare? lol

Took some before shots to compare after the retrofit is complete

1st off i want those wheels
      2nd You need a lip kit ASAP
      3rd Lights look great !
      4th now make me a set !!! hahah
      S40 T5

Re: (jdsr917)

Looking sweet Kyle

Shadow, sent you a PM.

Thanks, returned pm. BTW email's are in the profile if you click on the name.

Got glare? lol

I really hope that's pre-retrofit

Writeups

Quote, originally posted by theshadow27 »

I really hope that's pre-retrofit

Oh yeah! Thats the DDM kit with factory projectors. Figured id just post some up that way I have something official to compare to after

OH and the lip kit will be done next spring... waiting for aj's front lip and to either go factory sides and rear or try the elevates

I forgot to ask. Does everything come out the back or do you have to bake the cover off to remove the projectors?
      Car, Passenger, 1ea

Kyle. What the hell man, why does your car look like such a sexy beast ALL THE TIME?!
      Daily: 1997 850 T-5 Wagon | IPD Intake, Exhaust and Tune| K24 Turbo | Green Injectors | Snabb Turbo Inlet Pipe | Do88 BigPack | KW V2 Coilovers
      Workhorse: 2006 F350 6.0 Turbo Diesel
      Previous: 2010 C30 |1|2|3| 2007 S40 |1|2|3| Visit me at GoVo Engineering!

Re: (sanatarium)

Quote, originally posted by sanatarium »
      Kyle. What the hell man, why does your car look like such a sexy beast ALL THE TIME?!

Yeah its no fair

@ I saw 50, you have to bake the cover off. It's really easy with a hair dryer or heat gun, just becarefull if you use the heat gun as you could melt some of the bits, a hair dryer is plenty to remove the lens.

Actually the screws that hold the projector in are accessable from the back, I was able to remove the assemblies with ease

Theres one thats a pain in the arse to get to but was able to break it free and eventually remove with my fingers. Bout the only thing I wont be able to replace like I wanted without baking them apart is the projector ring... I wanted to find the xenon blue ones if i could find them or just coat my stock ones

I guess its a little different for you guys, with factory bi-xenons with active bending function there is no way to remove everything from the back cover it just won't fit. I guess it may be possible but I looked it over for a long time and then just removed the lens which was very quick and easy, maybe five minutes.

Looking over the measurements for the stock projectors (thank you very much Scott ) and the FX-R, it's not going to be straight forward to make a bolt-in adapter. The FX-R is much shorter and taller by almost 15mm.

I'll have to rip one of my lights apart to see if there's enough room in the halogen housing without the auto-leveling for the extra height. Also may need to move the assembly forward so the smaller lens is lined up with the shroud.

If it's looking better it'll get a new thread. Until then, Kyle has the right idea... Go with the AL E46's. Sorry for the threadjack

Modified by theshadow27 at 7:41 AM 11-9-2009

Writeups

Quote, originally posted by slrising »
      I guess its a little different for you guys, with factory bi-xenons with active bending function there is no way to remove everything from the back cover it just won't fit.

Oh right sorry forgot that you had a facelifted S40. The head lights are different and especially with factory bi-xenons.

Facelifted S40

V50 for me.

But same concept reguarding the lights.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast