D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu****a Ballasts, Morimoto 5000K, 35W - Page 4
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: (slrising)

Yeah I always just assume everyone drives a S40 since thats the majority but yes V50 and same style lights for you unfortunately
      Current: 11 ISF | P2 V70R
      Past: 14 C300 AMG Sport+ | E46M | S40 T5 | NA1 NSX | Acura TL | LS-T DC4

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

Update:

Was slow this morning so figured id get the shields made up but the sheet metal I got from home depot sucked. Just too thick and not easily mendable.

Instead I grabbed a roll of aluminum flashing as recommended by Matt at TRS. Was about 10 bucks and have a freakin shat load. Could make enough shields to last a lifetime lol.

Instead I got the RV shields removed. Just two small aluminum rivets a simple dremel tool was able to remove. With those gone you can now see the slot in the factory cut off which you will stick your bolt thru and have room to adjust the custom shields up and down on

So wait. The moral of the story is you spent the morning drilling out two rivets? Where's the new shield?
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: (theshadow27)

No, I tried to work with the sheet metal for about a half hour before I decided that was a waist. Ran to home depot on my lunch break figuring it would be slow but was slammed so never got to mess with them. Also forgot my tools to install the PWM fix tonight like I planned

Shields took about 5 minutes to cut out and only about 1% of the entire roll was required lol.

The way I cut them also makes them bi-xenon capable long as they dont conflict with anything inside the housing itself.

Shields installed and PWM BOWE installed. On the 55W DDMs BOWE works like a champ being that I removed the DDM BOW resistors and still fired right off.

Next step is to verify that the 35W matsu****a ballasts still work on the stock wiring or at least on the relay harness.

Gonna be another busy weekend so will see bout installing these this weekend but not sure yet... might have another trick up my sleeve will im in there with the halo rings

Quote, originally posted by ForceFed Motorsports »
      Shields installed and PWM BOWE installed. On the 55W DDMs BOWE works like a champ being that I removed the DDM BOW resistors and still fired right off.

Next step is to verify that the 35W matsu****a ballasts still work on the stock wiring or at least on the relay harness.

Just for the record did you tap into the CEM or just wire it up with alligator clips?
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

Its underneath the dash tapped into the E connector just as yours is in your DIY thread. Worked like a champ and sits just above the CEM so tucked away nicely

Sweet. 35w time...

You get the shields mounted on the E46 yet? I have a feeling that you'd have to do some serious carving at the existing shield support to make the curved shield worth it, since the piece would block most of the light that would be cut off further away.

Edit: Looking at the pics, if you're confident in your Dremel abilities you can slice down following the stamping that should let you retain the factory bump stops and still let most of the light be cut off by the curve.

Writeups

Yeah, they are mounted. Was super easy to cut out and with the pre-existing cut in the stock shields using a small bolt has a lot of room for adjustability.

Hoping to get them back to how I had the cut off before and then get some better distance so I can see how they look from about 50 ft

Shields are bolted down and in their locked positions. Color output is freakin crazy! Camera battery died but will be posting up new distance photos I took tonight.

Of course with any project has its change of plans... with the BOWE system in place I was able to remove my DDM BOW harnesses and have no bulb out messages which is premo.

With the 35W matsu****as in place they would fire but shut off after a few seconds. Then threw the relay harness in place and was good to go... However now have the bulb out message.

Being that Id rather eliminate the extra harness and not have to have the bulb out message, im going to use a D2S AMP harness and run my DDM ballasts. Will still be using the E46 setup and D2S bulbs but with the 55W setup instead.

Im glad that I did try the 35W ballasts because at least I can shed some more light (no pun intended) on the S40 retrofit scene but just not the option I want to take with this project.

Waiting to here back from TRS regarding this change of plans and will also be adding a little bit of flare to the head lights as well

My shields are done and did some distance testing. I had been adjusting the shields inside my garage at maybe 10ft and was amazed at how much different they are from 50 ft.

Daaamn
      Writeups

Mmmk tell you what. FX-R's are unnecessary. E46's are the way to go. Got me sold.... ... ...

Can't wait to see the 55w version

Writeups

Yeah I can only imagine it being better lol. Figure matt wont get back to me till after the weekend but hoping to get this stuff installed and ready to go the following weekend... wanna look fresh for the NW mini meet.

Make an extra set so I can throw them on my car.
      SATIN PEARL WHITE S40 T5 AWD with some sweet custom bodywork by concrete medians...

Re: (carreragt7)

Got a whole roll of metal for more shields. I could be that guy I guess lol

If you find a shape you're happy with you can always weld up some 3/16" strap to make a die so you can crank em out in a 20 ton A frame... Might be easier than scissors each time.

My only concern is supply... How many E46 projectors are lying around these days? My plan is to get em while they last

Writeups

This is what I ended up with for shields.

Where's the kink?
      Writeups

Im not a fan of the Z or stepped cut off line. I decided to just leave mine flat

I was under the impression that it was a safety thing; Without it you are either blinding oncoming traffic or not getting maximum throw.

With HIDs in the factory projectors (I know, not the best on glare) they throw 30 or 40 feet extra down the road on the right than on the left. The kink sits on the double yellow on a two lane road.

IDK if it was unessesary I can't help but wonder why every OEM has em?

Writeups

No thats the correct, the concept is to lower the drives side beam to not blind oncoming traffic. With how sharp of a cut off these are I dont think ill have an issue. Plus wont be producing the same amount of glare as the stock projectors.

Re: D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu**** ... (ForceFed Motorsports)

Well its finally done, I will update the initial post with all the of the info I posted in this thread.

I ended up not using the Matsu****a ballasts being that they were 35W and did not work with my BOWE system I installed at the CEM. Instead I purchased AMP adapters to hook D2S bulbs to my 55W DDM ballasts.

Lights fire off perfectly and are brightest they can be.

Here are the final results of the retrofit

Sorry for the messy garage pic, been a scramble in there lately lol.

Enjoy

Those turned out well

I'm so used to seeing the _____/ shaped beam cutoff lol

Re: (Moofluffen)

Thanks, yeah realistically your supposed to step them so that the drivers side is lower and doesnt blind on coming traffic. However I have them aimed where unless you driving a go kart you shouldnt be blinded. Plus with almost all the glare removed the cut off is very defined.

They emit light much further than the stock projectors I had and thats with them adjusted lower as well

If anyone is interested in putting some ZKW-R clear lenses in a set of stock projectors I have two sets now. Either that or I can order some and install them for you. Kinda curious with clear lenses and the shield mod how the stocks would perform

Any photos of the lights off and from the front? I love retrofits.

If anyone is interested in putting some ZKW-R clear lenses in a set of stock projectors I have two sets now.

PM sent.

Writeups

Re: (Moofluffen)

Yeah I can get some more pics taken... I just have a point and shoot so was having a hard time focusing when taking pics from the front. With the lights off they look stock

Seeing as my left headlight is still having some issues not working I am even more interested in knowing how hard it would be for you to replicate your work...I pay in cold hard CF
      SATIN PEARL WHITE S40 T5 AWD with some sweet custom bodywork by concrete medians...

wow, kyle amazing result!! great work
      2005 V50 2.0D - 165hp, 360Nm (sold with 330.000km)
      2011 V50 D4 - 205-210hp, 470Nm

Re: (carreragt7)

I think the key to functionality is installing shadows BOWE. Nice not having to worry bout the DDM BOW harness crapping out randomly.

As far as the stockers go, there may be some easy ways to get better output but being that in the end all I used was the projectors, bulbs, and AMP adapters the cost to do the retrofit really isnt that expensive.

The rear covers even fit, being that I already had a giant hole in them from the DDM bulbs I ran my wire thru it and just need to get a tighter grommet.

Enjoy

is this a wheel preview.
      Senior Member Status
      True Story. Word.

Wow what a beautiful cutoff!! So just to clarify, those pics are with ZKW lenses and E46 projectors correct?
      Daily: 1997 850 T-5 Wagon | IPD Intake, Exhaust and Tune| K24 Turbo | Green Injectors | Snabb Turbo Inlet Pipe | Do88 BigPack | KW V2 Coilovers
      Workhorse: 2006 F350 6.0 Turbo Diesel
      Previous: 2010 C30 |1|2|3| 2007 S40 |1|2|3| Visit me at GoVo Engineering!

Re: D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu**** ... (sanatarium)

Quote, originally posted by sanatarium »
      those pics are with ZKW lenses and E46 projectors correct?

And a shield mod?
      Writeups

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast