D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu****a Ballasts, Morimoto 5000K, 35W - Page 5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu**** ... (theshadow27)

Yeah, the shield mod is a must. Even just by swapping in the ZKW-Rs the E46 doesnt produce that sharp of a cutoff nor that color.
      Current: 11 ISF | P2 V70R
      Past: 14 C300 AMG Sport+ | E46M | S40 T5 | NA1 NSX | Acura TL | LS-T DC4

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu**** ... (ForceFed Motorsports)

Of course. So what are your thoughts on stock projectors with ZKW lenses(and a cutoff shield)
      Daily: 1997 850 T-5 Wagon | IPD Intake, Exhaust and Tune| K24 Turbo | Green Injectors | Snabb Turbo Inlet Pipe | Do88 BigPack | KW V2 Coilovers
      Workhorse: 2006 F350 6.0 Turbo Diesel
      Previous: 2010 C30 |1|2|3| 2007 S40 |1|2|3| Visit me at GoVo Engineering!

Re: D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu**** ... (sanatarium)

I have another set I could mess with... would have to order a set of clear lenses and mess with them though. I could play around with them. But being that the E46 are actually designed to use xenon bulbs (i.e. even the placement of the bulb in the projector is different than stock) and being that they are fairly cheap right now id go hunting for some used ones.

I found a bunch of sets on hidplanet.com

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

did you say the e46 projectors were a direct swap?
      Senior Member Status
      True Story. Word.

Re: D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu**** ... (kpsingh0)

Yep completely bolt on. Theres two types available, those with bi-xenons and those without. Both look almost identicle just the non bi-xenons have a permanent shield which needs to be modified where the b-xenon moves with the solenoid and isnt actually attached to the base.

Kyle again awesome project and thanks for the great write up!

Re: D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu**** ... (Bigblk4)

More pictures

You should get some Gas

HAHAH looks great !!!

HID ?

S40 T5

Re: (jdsr917)

Quote, originally posted by jdsr917 »

HID ?

No xenons haha

I got gas finally when the canadians cleared out of the costco gas station

Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

For those interested in doing the same, besides the lenses of course, what steps did you go through in order to come out with the shields? Would you have any diagrams on how and where to curve the flashing? Attachment points and where to grind for clearance or was it all "measure once cut thrice"?

Also, you wouldn't happened to have taken any pictures with the new lenses and stock shields by any chance?

Car, Passenger, 1ea

Quote, originally posted by ForceFed Motorsports »

No xenons haha

Boys now now...

The xenon arc lamp is a form of high intensity discharge lighting.

'05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

Re: (I Saw 50)

Yeah heres the pic of the clear lenses at the top that didnt have modified shield. The clear lens just amplifies the color as you can see compared to the stock lenses posted in the initial post.

The shields were just cut free hand with some scissors. I measured the sides and the amount of angle on each one and then just compared them after I shaped them.

You honestly do everything by feel and just trial and error. Just continue bending and changing the angle until you get it just right right. Not really a one size fits all type of deal. Im going to install the E46 lenses onto the stock projectors and then shield mod them to see how they look.

Going to work on the 744 tonight but will be messing with them at work since were so slow.

Ehhh, you're right, it does look much better with the shields in. One last question (for now). Did you have to remove the projector, bend, install, verify and repeat until satisfied or can it be done all at once while outside the housing?
      Car, Passenger, 1ea

Re: (I Saw 50)

Everything was done outside of the headlight housing. Once i got them to about where I wanted them I did the swap into the housings. I was just plugging them into the cars wiring harness, would be much easier to just have a car battery and a relay system to do the testing but never got around to bringing home a battery.

The shields are a must for the cut off to be so colorful. Just by switching to the clear lenses I can only assume the light output will be better. From there making some shields can only help that much more.

If I can get this stock set of projectors to look pretty good Ill probably post em up for sale for anyone that wants a bolt in retrofit for the stock H11 bulbs

How about those high beams, have you tried getting the solenoid working with high beams?

Modified by mikamars at 5:27 AM 1-18-2010

Re:

Seems like those Bosch / AL E46 projectors are made in Germany, but only sold in the States Can't find them anywhere in Europe.

Re:

http://www.wolstentech.com/pro...s.php

I don't really understand how to wire those high beam solenoid controllers. Seems like you can just split (or move) the regular high beam positive wire for the solenoid controller and give it a ground wire too. Or not?

Don't know if this can be done without the solenoid controller in a S40/V50.

Re: Re: (mikamars)

Sorry I moved and the internet is setup yet so havent been on the forums as much lately.

First off no I havent had time to wire in the high beam solenoid. Its fairly easy, you just need that little circuit that I linked in one of the first few pages. Basically yes you can use the high beam power however from what Ive read it can fry the solenoid without the controller from the link.

The E46 projectors can be found but are rare for the UK markets, however I do know they exist because a few people on HIDplanet.com have found them. Supposedly they are better somehow although if you replace all the components like I did shouldnt make any difference other than possibly being setup for RHD if necessary.

Re: Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

First off no I havent had time to wire in the high beam solenoid. Its fairly easy, you just need that little circuit that I linked in one of the first few pages. Basically yes you can use the high beam power however from what Ive read it can fry the solenoid without the controller from the link.

So if I use the bi-xenon solenoid controllers from WolstenTech and connect the regular high beam wires to the controllers there shouldn't be any problems? I assume this circuit somehow releases the solenoid after it has switched to high or low (= doesn't burn it up by pushing or pulling continuously)?

The E46 projectors can be found but are rare for the UK markets, however I do know they exist because a few people on HIDplanet.com have found them. Supposedly they are better somehow although if you replace all the components like I did shouldnt make any difference other than possibly being setup for RHD if necessary.

I already ordered everything from Matt @ The Retrofit Source. Really nice service, highly recommended.

Quote, originally posted by mikamars »

So if I use the bi-xenon solenoid controllers from WolstenTech and connect the regular high beam wires to the controllers there shouldn't be any problems? I assume this circuit somehow releases the solenoid after it has switched to high or low (= doesn't burn it up by pushing or pulling continuously)?

Yeah, basically uses the signal from the high beam circuit to activate the pull coil in the solenoid on but uses another coil to actually hold the solenoid. Takes less load to hold the solenoid once engaged however overpowering the pull coil can burn it up.

Matt at TRS is a great guy, some of the best customer service I have seen and very fair pricing

Matt at TRS is a great guy, some of the best customer service I have seen and very fair pricing

Agreed.

Has anyone tried installing Hella's automatic headlight leveling kit in a S40/V50? Can it be done?

http://www.europeanperformance...k5bo0

Judging by how few have even experimented with retrofits Its safe to say probably not. Very cool idea though. My lights are very very bright underneath the cut off so coming up hills and even sitting at some intersections I get some that will flash me.

This would be a cool idea. Ideally though I cant say I feel bad, all HID's will put out a bright light underneath the cut off. I get blinded now and then by OEM xenons from other vehicles, just something you put up with

You don't want that one, it uses an ultrasonic sensor to tell how far off the ground the front of the car is. Ultrasonic sensors suck... Even with redundant sensors (which it doesn't have) and laser range verification (which it doesn't have) and high speed digital noise reduction (which it probably doesn't have) that I use in my robots they are glitchey and are very sensitive to the reflective surface and tangential velocity. That's why Volvo uses mechanical sensors.
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

Re: Re: (theshadow27)

Thanks for the input, Id never seen one of those installed before and was curious how they would perform. Nothing better than your HID's going bosoms up on you and adjusting all over the place lol.

Re: Re: (theshadow27)

Quote, originally posted by theshadow27 »
      You don't want that one, it uses an ultrasonic sensor to tell how far off the ground the front of the car is. Ultrasonic sensors suck... Even with redundant sensors (which it doesn't have) and laser range verification (which it doesn't have) and high speed digital noise reduction (which it probably doesn't have) that I use in my robots they are glitchey and are very sensitive to the reflective surface and tangential velocity. That's why Volvo uses mechanical sensors.

I never really thought this kit would perform like the factory one. Most likely it would suck, like you said. It's just that this kit would most likely make my aftermarket HIDs legal in the European Union (I need to get the official verification to be sure), because HIDs need automatic leveling, headlight washers and of course xenon optics/projectors to be legal in the EU.

Of course good automatic leveling would be nice to have too, but it might be a bit difficult to get... My Volvo dealer refused to sell me their automatic leveling kit, because it's against Volvo policy to sell the kit to a car without factory xenons. This is a very typical Volvo policy, and of course they always blame VADIS (can't be programmed). I guess I'll just manually adjust my HIDs and keep blinding people if necessary.

If you step your shields to favor the passenger side over the drivers side oncoming traffic shouldnt be blinded by your lights. I dont have them stepped yet just aimed a bit lower and havent been flashed since I adjusted them. Used to every other night.

The auto level kit could probably be purchased in the states. Most wont ask what car its for or if it even has the feature. However if it does require some sort of SW or calibration via VIDA might be screwed.

If you step your shields to favor the passenger side over the drivers side oncoming traffic shouldnt be blinded by your lights. I dont have them stepped yet just aimed a bit lower and havent been flashed since I adjusted them. Used to every other night.

Yeah, it should be fine, especially when I don't even have the shield yet (gonna make it though). It's just the legal problem I don't like.

The auto level kit could probably be purchased in the states. Most wont ask what car its for or if it even has the feature. However if it does require some sort of SW or calibration via VIDA might be screwed.

Oh that's right, VIDA is the newer version. Installing front and rear sensors with the faster motors etc does require software updates from VIDA. According to my dealer, these changes can only be done to a car with factory xenons. Or it might just be the stupid policy.

Re:

I have my bi-xenon retrofit working now. Thanks for a great thread!

High beam controllers seem to be working fine, nice output. I need to start working on my shield, although I think the output is already really good. Does the shield affect only the cutoff or does it make the output somehow better?

E46 projectors have a small notch for the lens. I didn't really remove it like you did, just squeezed it a bit. I might buy a dremel tool and work on that some more. I don't think I will see the output difference though.

P.S. I dropped one of the 3 torx screws inside the housing and lost it. Try avoiding this I had to find a replacement.

The shields just made the cut off that much more defined and also produces the brilliant color. Thats awesome you got the high beam function to work, how did you end up doing it? Still on my list of things to do.

Cant remember which side but one of my projectors is only held in by two screws, the one that sits behind the adjuster was a biotch so left it out lol.

I think I'll play around with the shields when the weather gets warmer (outside is -10F). I think you can even use shields with the high beams if you don't curve them too much.

I bought the Wolstentech controllers and split the high beam wires for them, a very simple installation. My controller devices are just wrapped in duct tape and loose inside the housing. The controller devices are very lightweight and don't really move at all inside the housing. I just added some cable ties close to the devices.

If you get a normal torx screwdriver you'll be able to get all 3 screws loose and tightened again. You just have to use some force with the one next to the adjuster (bend it aside while screwing).

Dont make your shields curved. Im changing mine to straight, I noticed the cut off color is greating reduced from the shield curving away from the bulb. Im going to get those wolsentech controllers soon

Are u still using those Morimoto 5000K bulbs? I have the same bulbs, can you use them with 55W ballasts? I'm considering 55W DDM ballasts, which kit would you recommend? I'm considering this one:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index...nt=85

Yeah I am, they seem to be holding up. I was kind of worried about them burning up with the 55W DDM ballasts but they are still good. Figure they are relatively cheap none the less so not overly concerned.

Lot cheaper than oem at 100+ a piece lol. Matt at TRS has the set for what 50$

I love how the color is legit unlike the aftermarket kits. Its a true 5000k ice white, the color is in the cut off

Quote, originally posted by mikamars »
      Are u still using those Morimoto 5000K bulbs? I have the same bulbs, can you use them with 55W ballasts? I'm considering 55W DDM ballasts, which kit would you recommend? I'm considering this one:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index...nt=85

For the record, there is no such thing as a 55w HID bulb. All bulbs sold for/with 55w kits are the same as the 35w bulbs... Rebased D2S. The difference is only in the drive current (from the ballast).

That means that running a bulb at 55w will shorten it's life, but at DDM's prices, who cares? They are literally cheaper than Silverstars.

Writeups

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast