D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu****a Ballasts, Morimoto 5000K, 35W
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu****a Ballasts, Morimoto 5000K, 35W

Beginning my HID retrofit today. Going to take more time than I thought as there is a lot more involved with tuning the HID output than expected. All parts ordered thru my friends at TheRetrofitSource.com

Parts list:
      Matsu****a ballasts 35W setup
      Morimoto 5000K D2S bulbs
      E46 bi-xenon projector housings
      ZKW-R clear lenses
      H7 wiring harness converted to work with H11 setup

The wiring harness only uses one of the low beam bulb inputs and then using a relay system attached to the battery runs an extension harness over to the passenger side ballast. An H11 harness kit wasnt available so a H11 female connector just needs to be swapped out for the H7 that comes with it.

So far that ive seen today is due to only using one head light low beam connector connected to the harness theres a bulb out message. Have to figure out how to fake out the passenger side harness.

With nothing installed into the head lights yet I took some comparison pics just to show the difference between a 55W DDM kit with 45000K bulbs and the 35W retrofit with E46 projectors and the factory lenses that came with them.

DDM

E46

Will continue to update the thread as the project goes along. More than likely wont finish this weekend as I need some more supplies.

By adjusting the cut off shield or the "shield mod" as they call it you can alter the cut off line color and clarity. Ill be using a roll of flashing to adjust and alter the output to my liking and then drill out the rivets that hold the RV shield on to mount it.

I also have clear ZKW-R lenses to swap in which changes the clarity and output of the bulbs quite a bit. Did the one side but need to change how it mounts inside the projector a bit more. You can see the difference from the E46 lenses compared to the clears quite a bit just visibly.

E46

ZKW-R

Stock projector to E46 projector comparison

These are the shields that are required for the color modification. Used a roll of thin aluminum flashing and was cut with scissors.

Final results with E46 projectors, ZKW-R lenses installed, Morimoto 5000K D2S bulbs, AMP adapters to DDM 55W ballasts.
      Here are the final results of the retrofit

Modified by ForceFed Motorsports at 5:21 PM 12-1-2009

Modified by ForceFed Motorsports at 5:23 PM 12-1-2009

Should also note that if anyone is experiencing issues with aftermarket ballast firing issues, or just plain worried about the wiper module failure, I used https://www.skbowe.com/ harness to eliminate the original issues I was having with DDM.

Last edited by -ForceFed-; 07-17-2017 at 07:30 PM.
      Current: 11 ISF | P2 V70R
      Past: 14 C300 AMG Sport+ | E46M | S40 T5 | NA1 NSX | Acura TL | LS-T DC4

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu**** ... (ForceFed Motorsports)

Oh yeah, I bought Bixenon projector housings so if i can get the solenoids to function with the high beam switch Ill have xenon high beams as well

http://www.wolstentech.com/pro...s.php

Awesome project Kyle, anxiously awaiting the results, cut off is night and day compared to the DDMs!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu**** ... (Bigblk4)

Funny thing is E46 projectors are considered one of the lowest of the quality retrofits too haha. Some of the pics ive seen of other retrofits are crazy. However they are direct bolt in for our bosch headlights

Thats without the shied mod too which makes a huge difference. Example...

this whole thread went over my head. whats this do?
      Senior Member Status
      True Story. Word.

Great Kyle, you just made my DDM kit cry and it now has an inferiority complex... Looking good so far!
      SATIN PEARL WHITE S40 T5 AWD with some sweet custom bodywork by concrete medians...

WOW.
      Looks sexy.
      a car.

Re: (kpsingh0)

Quote, originally posted by kpsingh0 »
      this whole thread went over my head. whats this do?

Well for starters our cars that are factory halogens are not designed for xenon light. If you look at your lenses they are dimpled, which isnt optimal for xenons.

What im doing is converting to D2S bulbs which is a standard OEM bulb by changing the projector housings. Also by replacing the lenses with the clear ZKW-R's they will be the clearest and best projection available.

Changing the cut off shield (the metal flap in front of the bulb) changes how much fuzz so to speak is above the cut off line and how sharp it is. Also the "hue" that you see on luxory and exotic cars can be mimic'd by fine tuning the shield

Interesting project

Duuude I need to do this ASAP. Im so not satisfied with my HIDs! Im going to pick up a headlight on ebay or something.
      Daily: 1997 850 T-5 Wagon | IPD Intake, Exhaust and Tune| K24 Turbo | Green Injectors | Snabb Turbo Inlet Pipe | Do88 BigPack | KW V2 Coilovers
      Workhorse: 2006 F350 6.0 Turbo Diesel
      Previous: 2010 C30 |1|2|3| 2007 S40 |1|2|3| Visit me at GoVo Engineering!

Re: (sanatarium)

Or contact matt @ theretrofitsource.com for all your hid retrofit needs

Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

Oooh, Might do that instead. Thought on DDM HIDs with better projector housings? Or is it necessary to go with all new bulbs and ballasts?
      Daily: 1997 850 T-5 Wagon | IPD Intake, Exhaust and Tune| K24 Turbo | Green Injectors | Snabb Turbo Inlet Pipe | Do88 BigPack | KW V2 Coilovers

Hmmm. Well maybe ill throw one of the clear lenses in the stock projectors for you when i remove them and show what the difference will be from stock with the DDM kit

That was my initial thought but convinced myself to go 35W so decided to go for the full retrofit. Especially since the bi-xenon projectors are complete bolt on makes things very easy.

would love to see how this turns out and comparison pics.
      Senior Member Status
      True Story. Word.

Quote, originally posted by ForceFed Motorsports »
      Hmmm. Well maybe ill throw one of the clear lenses in the stock projectors for you when i remove them and show what the difference will be from stock with the DDM kit

Are they the same size? I think this would be crucial - there's very little difference between a dichromatic projector and a halogen projector other than the lens and the cutoff.

If you need help with the BOW shoot me a note.

'05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

Re: (theshadow27)

Yeah i believe they are. They are 3" lenses. Only issue is the ZKW-R is just a fudge larger and requires a very small modification to the projector housing, theres a small notch that centers the factory lense. All you need to do is notch the aftermarket lense in order to fit properly... I think lol.

As for the BOW I wanna get the retrofit done and complete installed in the car and then figure out the odds and ends. Right now im just workin on getting the cut off line how I like it before I remove the insides of my stock head lights. Kinda fun messin with this stuff though

Optics are a blast. Are the lenses acrylic or glass?
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

I skimmed over most everything, so sorry if I missed a bit of info.

First off, it's awesome that you're doing this retro - kudos. I have something slightly more 'involved' that I've been messing with on/off for the "R" but still have nothing (years later...).

That being said, I know that you can take just the projector assembly out of the S40 housing from behind w/ 3-4 screws. If you can get the E46 projo (or another bi-xenon assembly) to line up, or drill holes in the 'mounting surface, or make an adapter plate to mate them, it should be a simple task, no? Just throw them in and call it a day! Of course, if everything in life were that easy... but seriously, Valeo makes the S40 lamps, no? What about a set of Valeo projectors?

Also, at least on the set that I have, the 'high' function does work with just a simple +12V - apply voltage and the plunger pushes the cutoff screen out of the way.

Seriously though, there should be a projector out there that should nearly fit to just 'screw it in' with. Grrr, crap, I no longer have the internals from my S40 headlamp dissection

FOR SALE: 2006 XC70, White/(Atacama)
      Current: 2016 XC90 T6
      Former: 2007 S60R M66, 2001 V70 T5M, 1998 S70 T5-SE (heavily modded), 1998 Saffron V70R, 1995 855T,1995 854 Cream Yellow/Charcoal T5-R, 1989 780 Bertone

Re: (AthruC)

Okay, I see that you said they are direct 'bolt in' projectors - really you're just trying to be extra fancy with the pretty colors on the cutoff pattern

The 'bulb out' message you get comes with the territory. The halogens are actually run with a PWM circuit - the bulbs are 'pulsed' very quickly, which has no noticeable effect on the halogens that have a 'slow' burn. Hook up an LED or HID or any other nearly instant-on lighting source and you get a strobe light effect. Whether it's also a resistance issue, or whether the computer is measuring the cycle at which it receives, I'm not quite sure, but since it's not an issue that can be solved with a simple resistor... or can it?

I think I just confused myself.

FOR SALE: 2006 XC70, White/(Atacama)
      Current: 2016 XC90 T6
      Former: 2007 S60R M66, 2001 V70 T5M, 1998 S70 T5-SE (heavily modded), 1998 Saffron V70R, 1995 855T,1995 854 Cream Yellow/Charcoal T5-R, 1989 780 Bertone

Quote, originally posted by theshadow27 »
      Optics are a blast. Are the lenses acrylic or glass?

Two peoples opinions say glass haha.

I know there are valeo projectors out there that are awesome quality. After talking to matt these are the projectors that he recommended since they are direct bolt in. Comparing to the S40 internals they look spot on the same which will make the install easy.

Going to grab some materials tomoro I think to start messing with the cut off line. Was going to go grab some stuff from the hardware store but have a ton of t bolt clamps which is the curve that im looking for so might cut a few up and try that.

Re: (AthruC)

Quote, originally posted by AthruC »
      I'm not quite sure, but since it's not an issue that can be solved with a simple resistor... or can it?

Shadow figured out the PWM circuit. Problem is the harness that I ordered only uses one input from the head light. The passenger side low beam bulb connector doesnt require being plugged into anything for the lights to function.

I think i need to fake that out with a resistor and then possibly install one of shadows capicitor units as well to clear the BOW message.

Ooooh found a set with the hi-lo cutoff controller servo on them http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ories

Half way there haha

Where'd you get the lenses (ZKW-R)? I'd be willing to guinea pig a halogen-lens swap...
      Writeups

Everything was purchased thru theretrofitsource.com

Pretty sure they produce those lenses. I have the E46 lenses that im replacing i could put in the halogen projectors and using the DDM kit show the difference in projection/cut off line

Would be the cheaper alternative for most if they dont wanna go with the full deal.

I give you mad props for going the whole way, but without road following and auto leveling I can't justify doing a full swap for a better cutoff line - especially if it means loosing the 55 watters.

Now... if you could read the high speed CAN, get info from the SWM, and tie that into a set of servos; then integrate the front/rear stock BPS's into another set of servos, then I might reconsider

Writeups

Re:

Not terribly worried about not having auto leveling and the whole works of a factory xenon setup. Way i look at it this is a much more responsible way to do HID's being that by going the extra mile for a nice cut off line your really helping on coming traffic.

Its the haze from cheap HID's and poor projection that blinds on coming traffic. Making the color cool is just a bonus for looks haha.

Everything was purchased thru theretrofitsource.com

Pretty sure they produce those lenses. I have the E46 lenses that im replacing i could put in the halogen projectors and using the DDM kit show the difference in projection/cut off line

Would be the cheaper alternative for most if they dont wanna go with the full deal.

I would love to see different lenses in the stock projectors with the DDM kit to see if that is enough or if it is necessary to go with new projectors. I would be down to do the whole projector swap if it means better cutoff like in the pictures you posted! Damn sir!

Edit: Entirely agree with your last post, blinding HIDs are not cool, increased output for safety reasons is. At this point I feel bad sometimes because I know my HIDs hit people in the mirrors sometimes.

Re: Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

Not terribly worried about not having auto leveling and the whole works of a factory xenon setup. Way i look at it this is a much more responsible way to do HID's being that by going the extra mile for a nice cut off line your really helping on coming traffic.

Its the haze from cheap HID's and poor projection that blinds on coming traffic. Making the color cool is just a bonus for looks haha.

+1 for the pics on difference. as kyle knows what he is doing i think it will be interesting.
      +1 on seeing my hid's in people rear view and all over the place for that matter.
      Senior Member Status
      True Story. Word.

Re: Re: (kpsingh0)

Thanks but im learning here too. Never realized that there was this much involved in projection optics lol. Using two screw clamps for my shield mod, they are precurved nearly perfect, the right thickness, and the perfect height for adjustment.

Im going to cut them at work tomoro and then modify the lense housings to fit the lense further out like the OE ones sit. From there just routing the wiring harness and tweaking with the shields how I like them.

Now what exactly does that line do in the projector lens compared from stock to that super clear one? Is it for the light cutoff, diffuser?
      Car, Passenger, 1ea

Re: Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

wow this is a good thread. I too wanna see how a different lens looks in the stock housing. Also, before and after pics of the cutoff mod ur doing to see what u mean by it plz!

Re: D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu**** ... (I Saw 50)

Quote, originally posted by I Saw 50 »
      Now what exactly does that line do in the projector lens compared from stock to that super clear one? Is it for the light cutoff, diffuser?

Yes, but if you look at it closely its not straight and is modified to keep the light projected a certain way. Its also attached to a solenoid like a flapper and when your high beams are on pulls back allowing more like to project thru the lense without the filter of the cut off line.

The idea is that by making a bent shield you are projecting the light wider, the acura tls and tsx are like this. Also by adjusting and tweaking the shield back and forth changes the color.

Unfortunately not being an optics professional I cant tell you exactly why, just know the how lol.

I've been looking for the next project for the S40, but this might be wasted on me... I have factory xenons, so therefore I don't need to worry about this right? I know the lenses on the projectors are not as clear as the ones that you have kyle, but would it make that big of a difference in my case? I've already swapped the stock 4300k bulbs out for aftermarket 6000k ones...
      2005 S40 T5 FWD

- K&N Typhoon Intake, Evolve Intercooler, 3" Custom Turbo Back Magnaflow Exhaust, Forge Diverter Valve, RICA Stage II, Eibach Coils, Evolve Slotted Rotors, Evolve M10's

Re: D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu**** ... (S40Racer)

Yeah it might, if you go to this site you will be able to see the difference between stock projectors and ones that have been upgraded with clear lenses and the shield mod

http://www.geocities.com/JVXdr...n.htm

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast