Rear gate lift not working
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Rear gate lift not working

Does not open, or shut, but locks automatically (pushes itself to the close position). Anyone had this problem and know what the problem is? Is there a reset mechanism?

THanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Rear gate lift not working (rovermark)

Quote, originally posted by rovermark »
      Does not open, or shut, but locks automatically (pushes itself to the close position). Anyone had this problem and know what the problem is? Is there a reset mechanism?

THanks

There are sensor wires inside the rubber seal on either side of the liftgate. Have your dealer check them out to see if they have been pinched, etc.

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal Nappa L, Advance, Rear Air Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, Luxury, RtrbleTow Hitch, Polestar optimization, 20" wheels, Side Scuff Plate
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

I took the car in for servicing - they said a computer module does not work. I am assuming that is because they could not find anything else wrong.

the odd thing is that sometimes it does work.

does anyone know anything about recent Mercedes reliablity (thinking of getting one new)?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: (rovermark)

I took the car in for servicing - they said a computer module does not work. I am assuming that is because they could not find anything else wrong.

the odd thing is that sometimes it does work.

does anyone know anything about recent Mercedes reliablity (thinking of getting one new)?

Beginning to think the various "modules" in these cars border on "suck". Every day, it's a new module failing or having a bug in it! Good luck with it.

What car are you replacing with the Merc? The XC70 hasn't already gotten to you that bad, has it?

I wonder though if it is a "module", or that they say that when they don't know what else is going on. The odd thing is that it is working now.

My car has been pretty reliable though - just two minor rattles (one disspeared on its own), and this issue, and I have 28,000km on it.

I need another car, and am looking at a Mercedes, hence the question.

The power lift rear gate has started to work again - on it's own, prior to any "module" or servicing.

The questions are: should I still take it in? (it took me two hours sitting in the dealership last time + 3 hours travel time to the Volvo dealer last time for them to tell me the module needs replacement). I don't want to ignore it only for it to stop working again.

2. will they replace it even though it is working now on it's own?

3. Any clue what is going on? Would not open electronically with the remote, interior switch, or handle on the hatch, and would not close using the button, but now working on it's own again.

rovermark.... I recently turned 160,000k on an ML320 I flew to T.O. and brought back when the $CDN was 85cents US. I have had very few issues the truck. I suspect there is a lottery with all brands of cars these days - just one you wish you had not won.

Jim

The power lift rear gate has started to work again - on it's own, prior to any "module" or servicing.

Any clue what is going on? Would not open electronically with the remote, interior switch, or handle on the hatch, and would not close using the button, but now working on it's own again.

Were you working it continuously for more than 60 seconds just before this happened? If so, the overload protection might have been activated. Once it does, the power tailgate will be inoperable for 10 minutes (but you can still operate it manually).

It happened to me when I drove to work on the second day and my colleagues kept playing with it until it suddenly stopped. They then panicked, thinking they spoilt it. But having read the manual the night before, I knew what was going on the whole time.

Don't race with Volvos just because they don't look fast. Most of they actually are...

No, it wasn't been worked for >60 seconds. It was rising, then half way stopped working. It remained inoperable for 2 -3 weeks. I had to open and close it manually. I even took it to the dealer at the end.

Then suddenly 4-5 days later it started to work again. It is still working so far, but I wonder for how long before it gives out again.

The service advisor had no idea. At the end (after two hours) they said it was a defective module and they would order it in. But if it were a defective module (a catch phrase when you don't know what else is going on, I suppose) why would it start working again?

Re: (frontwheeldriven)

Quote, originally posted by frontwheeldriven »

my colleagues kept playing with it until it suddenly stopped. They then panicked, thinking they spoilt it. But having read the manual the night before, I knew what was going on the whole time. :

I hope you gave them a hard time!

I hope you gave them a hard time!

Ha! I certainly did. Told them that abuse of the power tailgate isn't covered under warranty... and I will be making a trip to the dealer tomorrow to fix this and will e-mail them the bill.

Don't race with Volvos just because they don't look fast. Most of they actually are...

The car went in to the dealer - they replaced / did the following:

control unit replaced
      pot reload (power operated tailgate replacement)
      software control download
      power operated tailgate (POT) troubleshooting of diagnositc trouble code

--> scanned, fault traced, replaced power operated tailgate module and performed software reload.

The rear hatch worked for 4 days then stopped working again.

Evidently, fault not traced.

Any ideas? Anyone with similar problems with the power rear hatch?

Nope... not for me. It's been performing flawlessly for me... so far... (knocks on wood).

For future reference, the issue with this car was not the "module" - it was traced to the hydraulic pump. The service dept did an excellent job and eliciting the cause.

I wish though my car did not have a power rear hatch - I do not look forward to having to fix this in future when the warranty runs out.

Modified by rovermark at 6:48 PM 1-26-2010

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements