V8 "CB-Club" Members - V8 counter balance shaft failure thread - Page 10
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
      I am joining the club #2161

Could someone let me know, what serial number the CB bearing is? You should find something like: 6301 2RS printed on it.
      2005 XC90 B8444S 117k

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
      I have been noticing a few 2005 V8 dying recently with the CB shaft bearing disintegration...at least 3 members have reported the CB shaft bearing giving up since early 2019, noticed all 3 were 2005 V8 pre engine number 6833 of course and around >170k miles....so to me it seems that after 14 years the bearing is finally giving up since i doubt any have washed their engine etc. could be the rust (because of the missing hole to drain has finally 'eaten' the bearing after so many years ?)....not sure what the reason is or is it linked to the mileage and the bearing is just weak and breaks. ?... don't know what to make of it so if any other member with a 2005 V8 pre 6833 can chime-in to say if their V8 is still going strong and with mentioned of their mileage, or when did it died...we may get more insight...any Volvo tech out there that see a lot more car can confirm or affirm the theory that 2005 V8 are on their way to RIP with the CB failure will be greatly appreciated.

as far as i am concerned so far been lucky, i have low mileage but am starting to look for another V8 more recent...as i am getting nervous....
      Peace and thanks to all who contribute to the forum, many just read ....lot of knowledge here and good sharing platform....

Cheers
      2005 XC90 V8 TF-80SC 116k miles

My counter balance shaft bearing failed last week (I had mentioned in a different thread). The car was towed before it ended up completely torching the engine. Here's a photo of the bad bearing in pretty rough shape.

Here's what the engine sounded like after the failure

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...xKNcv9-640.mp4
      V70R -04 MT, 18" IPD Pegs, IPD Tune, IPD DP+Cat back, FMIC, Eibachs, IPD Sways
      XC90 V8-05, 18" Atlantis, Bilsteins (Front), IPD Sways, RSE, Nav
      240 Classic Wagon -93 AT, 17" IPD Nebs, TME Springs, Bilsteins, IPD Sways

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Good thing that you have no damage to the engine. Are you fixing it yourself ? if not may i asked how much you were quoted for the repair ? I am just trying to anticipate, if repair my self ? getting it done ? or swapping engine ?
      Your engine looks amazingly clean for an 05. I am still puzzled how this can happen !

Quote Originally Posted by stayfunny View Post
      Good thing that you have no damage to the engine. Are you fixing it yourself ? if not may i asked how much you were quoted for the repair ? I am just trying to anticipate, if repair my self ? getting it done ? or swapping engine ?
      Your engine looks amazingly clean for an 05. I am still puzzled how this can happen !
      I'm expecting it to come in between $3k-$3.5k. It's a crazy amount of labor. Not something I'd have the time to do myself.

A few more pics:

Some more info. My engine is #8999. Weep hole was already there and looked original. However, the hole was plugged up. This would seem to imply that regardless of engine number nobody is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by irollturbo View Post
      Some more info. My engine is #8999. Weep hole was already there and looked original. However, the hole was plugged up. This would seem to imply that regardless of engine number nobody is safe.
      Thanks for the pictures and the info about the hole been there but clogged up, that is very interesting. This is a dramatic design flaw for the V8 and am also suspecting that the bearing itself goes bad overtime why ? not sure ? i am a fairly easy driver on the pedals. The recent pictures of the CB shaft bearings have seen thanks to all (Roger aka (volvo300k) on matthewvolvo) , did not present a rusted bearing...just disintegration seems as the year passes and the mileage adds-up...it falls apart...

Now, i have to asked you the question did you ever wash your engine ?

Thanks again for posting on this issue. and hope your V8 will be ready soon.
      Last edited by stayfunny; 03-08-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stayfunny View Post
      Thanks for the pictures and the info about the hole been there but clogged up, that is very interesting. This is a dramatic design flaw for the V8 and am also suspecting now that the bearing itself goes bad overtime why not sure ? i am a fairly easy drive on the pedals. The recent pictures we have seen thanks to all (Roger aka (volvo300k) on matthewvolvo) , did not show a rusted bearing...just desegregation seems as the year passes and the mileage adds-up...

Now, i have to asked you did you wash your engine ?

Thanks again for posting on this issue. and hope your V8 will be ready soon.
      Thanks, I should have the car back in the first half of next week.

I've never washed the engine in the time I've owned it. It has ~188k on it now and it had 158k on it when I bought it. The engine serial number seems rather high for a 2005, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by irollturbo View Post
      Thanks, I should have the car back in the first half of next week.

I've never washed the engine in the time I've owned it. It has ~188k on it now and it had 158k on it when I bought it. The engine serial number seems rather high for a 2005, but who knows.
      The repair is complete and the car is running well.

Awaiting Approval

2005 XC90 4.4L V8 CB Failure

I have a '05 XC90 V8 delivered in Jan 2005 that had a CB failure in April 2011. The vehicle had ~88K miles. Fortunately I had purchased the vehicle as a certified pre-owned in Feb 2008 with a four year extended warranty. The V8 engine was replaced by my local Volvo dealer under warranty with 2010 model year engine with the modifications made that correct for the corrosion issue. I have since put another 130K miles on this vehicle and it is still running strong.

I have a 2006 Ocean Race. Engine serial 6901(supposedly after the fix). I ran a scope down to see if there was a drain hole...nope. Thats disappointing.

Video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZIr...ew?usp=sharing
      Last edited by boxpin; 08-30-2019 at 01:43 PM.
      H-Beams, Wiseco, ported, N/A cams, Cyro'ed), R-Mani w/20G, Meth injected, 3" exhaust w/elec cutout, catless, M56L w/Quaife and Sachs707, 6-puck, FMIC, Snabb, N/A intake, TMM9 tuned, ARD pulley, Bilstein shocks, H&R springs, IPD sways. 403hp

You're 16,442. You have a decent valve cover gasket leak and/or your PS pump is seeping.

Miles on this vehicle?
      Last edited by ggleavitt; 08-31-2019 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Remove incorrect information
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 198k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 127k

Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      You're 16,442. You have a decent valve cover gasket leak and/or your PS pump is seeping.

And are you scoping from behind the power steering pump? That's the wrong end of the engine, weep hole and bearing are on the other side and it's all covered. Bunch of photos in this thread- https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...p?f=10&t=87848 , will give you an idea where it is.

Ya threw me for a sec.

Miles on this vehicle?
      No, Boxpin is in the right spot. Did you watch the video?

As he lowered the borescope, you could clearly see the rear balance shaft bearing cap (the triangular, 3 bolt bracket) as he maneuvered behind it to get that picture. At about the 0:17 - 0:35 second section of the video he's caught on something giving a clear picture of that cap. The tamperproof Torx 40 bolts on the cap are the giveaway. Those bolts are nowhere else on the engine and anyone who has done this job has cursed the use of those bolts that deep in the engine. They'll break the Torx bit and I normally have to use Vice Grip pliers to break those bolts loose.

I was going to comment how clean that pocket behind the rear balance shaft bearing is!
      Last edited by qaz996; 08-31-2019 at 05:01 PM.
      2007 S40 T5

I absolutely stand corrected and you are 100% correct, it's the back side of the assembly. Between valve cover and the hose/pump work I did, I never was able to see in that deep. Somebody describe how to do this in place and I'll break my borescope out over the weekend.

qaz996, thanks VERY much for putting some context behind what we're all seeing and confirming it's accuracy, boxpin I offer my apologies as well for doubting. This is literally the first time I've seen this on the XC90 forum, hence my initial scepticism. I'll be revising my post above in a sec.

So, a 16k SN motor with no weep hole, huh?

** As a point of reference, I think that there were 4 tracked ending engine PNs for XC90 LHD under the exchange PN 36050042: 6901345, 6906087, 6906091, and 6906107. I have no idea as to the differences between the part numbers but this is a SN 16442 engine that's PN 6901345 and is in a 06 OR (really nice BTW). My 08 Sport (0748) SN 32604 engine is PN 6906091.
      Last edited by ggleavitt; 09-01-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: add **, remove cover

I get how to do it. See https://photos.app.goo.gl/h9FgQY927vHSKhXG7 for a SN 32604 engine with no weep hole. Looks like they prepped for one but it never got drilled. Green piece of wire is in to see if there was a hole in the center and it was clogged with that oil. Nope, you can see the "scratched" bare metal, it's solid.

So much for the post SN6833 engine "rule".

Thanks for the correction, learned quite a bit out of the exercise.
      Last edited by ggleavitt; 09-02-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: typo

I get how to do it. See https://photos.app.goo.gl/h9FgQY927vHSKhXG7 for a SN 32604 engine with no weep hole. Looks like they prepped for one but it never got drilled. Green piece of wire is in to see if there was a hole in the center and it was clogged with that oil. Nope, you can see the "scratched" bare metal, it's solid.

So much for the post SN6833 engine "rule".

Thanks for the correction, learned quite a bit out of the exercise.
      In pictures 3,4 and 5 it looks like the hole goes through. Particularly in the ones with the green wire, it looks like part of the end is hooked under the edge of the hole. Out of curiosity, I scoped the engine in my s80 and it has that same cast rather than drilled hole however my camera is too big to fit in that valley so I couldn't get close enough to be able to tell if it goes through.
      2010 s80 v8 magic blue

Quote Originally Posted by 10v8 View Post
      In pictures 3,4 and 5 it looks like the hole goes through. Particularly in the ones with the green wire, it looks like part of the end is hooked under the edge of the hole. Out of curiosity, I scoped the engine in my s80 and it has that same cast rather than drilled hole however my camera is too big to fit in that valley so I couldn't get close enough to be able to tell if it goes through.
      Nope on a hole, was the sole reason I ran that wire, to see if it was clogged. See the scratch marks right in the center, one photo was taken to expressly demonstrate this (the silver is not a flake, it's the aluminum surface). I had one hand with the scope, other hand was controlling the wire so I leaned the wire against the depression edge to take the photo.

Were I not concerned about losing something in there, I would clean it so things would be more obvious but I spent more than a hour working various iterations of that wire into the center. It's solid.

If I have nothing better to do one of these days, I'll make a video. Now that I know where to find the valley, it's pretty straight forward to go back.

This is interesting. I understand that this is the fix for pre serial break, I wonder if the actual fix was a different type of bearing or manufacturer.
      2010 XC90 V8 - 113k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

Nope on a hole, was the sole reason I ran that wire, to see if it was clogged. See the scratch marks right in the center, one photo was taken to expressly demonstrate this (the silver is not a flake, it's the aluminum surface). I had one hand with the scope, other hand was controlling the wire so I leaned the wire against the depression edge to take the photo.

Were I not concerned about losing something in there, I would clean it so things would be more obvious but I spent more than a hour working various iterations of that wire into the center. It's solid.

If I have nothing better to do one of these days, I'll make a video. Now that I know where to find the valley, it's pretty straight forward to go back.
      It's odd then that they would go to the trouble of adding that feature to the casting and not make sure it's functional. I would expect that even in a properly drilled hole that the solid surface below the hole to be quite close since the channel that it goes into is only a couple millimeters tall.
      2010 s80 v8 magic blue

wow. so it's possible that all we got was a dimple instead of a full blown drain... lovely any tips on how to see one without a camera?
      2011 XC90 B8444S R-Design 614 120k km RHD

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiV8 View Post
      wow. so it's possible that all we got was a dimple instead of a full blown drain... lovely any tips on how to see one without a camera?
      It's in pretty deep, easy answer is no. Someone on MVS suggested you might be able to see it from the top when the manifolds are off, if you ever do valve covers you'll be open to that extent. With all the work I did, I never bothered to check so cannot validate whether this is true.

Posted another item on the photo link, shows basic orientation for locating the valley.

** Direct images here- https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...art=50#p517385
      Last edited by ggleavitt; 09-03-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: not PDF, add **

thanks ggleavitt, while I was doing valve covers I did go and look and no hole as well! I just stuck some paper towel down there to mop up whatever exists down there and call it a day.

Here's a pic with me sticking the engine oil dipstick in it and prodding, not clogged, definitely metal.

2011 XC90 B8444S R-Design 614 120k km RHD

25. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10