My first mod to the V70R (shift knob install with DIY writeup)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first mod to the V70R (shift knob install with DIY writeup)

So I had some spare time the other day so I decided to do a how-to on installing a shift knob that you need to thread the shifter shaft for. My shift knob of choice was the TWM M1 Abrams Satin knob. I find it goes perfectly with the interior trim of the car and it matches the stock shifter shaft perfectly.

Installation time: approx 45 min

Tools you will need:

1. Vice grips
      2. Tap and die kit with a 8x1.25 tap. Should be able to find this for under $50 at pretty much any hardware store if you don't already have one
      3. 15mm open end wrench
      5. 1 square of paper towel
      4. A decent amount of elbow grease

STEP 1:

You're going to want to start I started off by removing the stock shift knob. Simply push down on the shift knob and turn counter-clockwise. I don't have a picture for this but to be honest, I don't think it's needed lol.

This is what you will be left with:

STEP 2:

Now you're going to want to get that pin out. For this we're going to use the Vice Grips. I used a set that had small flat teeth. Basically what you want to do is get a good grip on the big end and try to turn it to break it free. Then you'll simply need to be patient and pull outwards while rotating the pin until it comes loose. It takes some time and effort but the pin comes out intact this way, so if ever you want to go back to stock, you'll be able to.

Place the pin in a place where you'll find it if ever you need it again . I put mine in the center console.

A few pics:

STEP 3:

Once the pin is out, it's time for the annoying part lol. First off you're going to want to punch a whole in your paper towel just large enough to fit the shifter shaft through. This will cover the rest of the interior from the metal bits that will fall when we will thread the shifter.

Should look something like this:

Now grab the 8x1.25 die and get warmed up because this is gonna take some effort lol. It will most likely take you 3-5min to get the die going so don't get frustrated. Also make sure your die is being used in the right direction (one side should be a bit wider to allow the threads to be started easier).

I didn't use any cutting oil because it was just making it harder to stay on the shifter. Keep double checking to make sure you're straight.

The result should be something that looks like this

STEP 4:

Now if you're installing a TWM Performance shifter, you're going to need to install the hardware. You should thread the die down until the aluminum insert is sitting flush and covering all of the threads.

Should look like this:

Once the height is right, use the 15mm wrench to tighten the aluminum insert just slightly. BTW, this is the method to have the shift knob sit as low as possible. If you would like to have the shift knob sit higher, TWM provides spacers with their shift knobs that you simply throw into the shift knob to give it that extra height. You have about 1-1.5inches of height adjustability depending on the shift knob model.

STEP 5:

Now simply screw on the shift knob. I tried a couple out and decided to go with the M1 Abrams in Satin finish but I took a picture of a couple of the others that I thought also looked good.

TWM Performance Satin Type R

TWM Performance Satin Big Type R (simply a big version of the type R)

TWM Performance Satin M1 Abrams

I hope you guys enjoyed the walk through. In the end from the time I drove the car into the garage to the time the last shift knob was screwed on, it took me 45min. Let me know if you have any questions. All comments are welcome

Modified by patrickd_21 at 10:11 AM 3-10-2010

Modified by patrickd_21 at 10:12 AM 3-10-2010

2005 V70R - 6speed, Manual Magic Blue/Nordkap ------------ Sold

E46 M3 - 6 speed, Jet Black/Black

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'd love the stock shift knob too much to ever change it, but still, everyone loves to see DIY threads!

1998 V70R
      1998 v70 t5m
      2004 s80 AWD 100k - sold

nice write up
      Traded In: 06 S60R 6MT Sonicama Elevate Exhaust, Phmic, iPD Stg II,Custom DP w/race cat, EST Ultra Flow Intake, Elevate Sways, SNABB Intake Pipe, SS DEM mod, BT, NAV, Miv w/X1

2019 XC40 T5 Inscription: Denim Blue/Blond
      Wheels: 20" 5 Spoke Diamond Cut
      Packages: Premium, Vision, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel
      Options: Premium Sound, Polestar Tune

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: My first mod to the V70R (patrickd_21)

I'm glad you like the new shifter.

....but I HATE the spaceball....deleting it was one of the first mods I did

2004 S60R 6MT HILTON 2.5 Tuned
      CLICK HERE for Build Thread

My wife's car: 2015.5 XC60 CLICK HERE

Re: My first mod to the V70R (tomedkaz)

Quote, originally posted by tomedkaz »
      I'm glad you like the new shifter.

....but I HATE the spaceball....deleting it was one of the first mods I did

I like my spaceball lol

Nice write up, I just did this MOD as well with the gunmetal Abrams. Did you buy all three of those? Hope your able to return the two you don't like! Is that a bass knob to the left of your shifter?
      2006 S60R-Passion Red, 6MT, IAQS, Touring, Climate, Convenience, Nordkap, Sport Kit, Bluetooth, RKelley CAI, DIY Strut Bar Conversion, IMP Concepts Boost Gauge, QBM Lower Trans and Upper Bushing(round conversion), 18" Pegs (powder coated wet black), Front Grill Painted Black, 40% Huper Optic Tint, EST Cat Back With Resonator Delete, Headlight Mods, 55W 3K HID Fogs, IPD iPod Adapter, TWM Short Shift and M1 Abrahms knob..... More to come!

Re: My first mod to the V70R (FastR)

Quote, originally posted by FastR »
      Nice write up, I just did this MOD as well with the gunmetal Abrams. Did you buy all three of those? Hope your able to return the two you don't like! Is that a bass knob to the left of your shifter?

The knob to the left of the shifter is to activate my Ipod connection.

i don't think returning it will be a problem for him.

excellent write up, since my m1 abrams arrived monday, it's on the list for the weekend. you answered my only question, and that was how far down to thread that insert.

the m1 has nice heft to it, is well made, and the engraving on the curved surface looks great.

'05mt blk/atacama SR with a few mods
      '02 v.7 sti wagon-the winter beater
      '02 wrx stage 2 rebuild thread -sold
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

Re: My first mod to the V70R (atacamaR)

Quote, originally posted by atacamaR »

excellent write up, since my m1 abrams arrived monday, it's on the list for the weekend. you answered my only question, and that was how far down to thread that insert.

the m1 has nice heft to it, is well made, and the engraving on the curved surface looks great.

Good stuff . Also cool to see that you went for the engraved option...I didn't even think about trying it to see how it would look so I'm excited to see your pics

Quote, originally posted by patrickd_21 »

Good stuff . Also cool to see that you went for the engraved option...I didn't even think about trying it to see how it would look so I'm excited to see your pics

yeah, i debated it whether to do it or not, not that i need the indicators, and... they are already on the spaceball. but figured it would look alright.

i'll be sure to post some pics.

the satin seems to pull the plastic parts of the spaceball together too, i always hated how it was different then the brushed aluminum.

"I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

Re: My first mod to the V70R (atacamaR)

?

2006 S60R-Passion Red, 6MT, IAQS, Touring, Climate, Convenience, Nordkap, Sport Kit, Bluetooth, RKelley CAI, DIY Strut Bar Conversion, IMP Concepts Boost Gauge, QBM Lower Trans and Upper Bushing(round conversion), 18" Pegs (powder coated wet black), Front Grill Painted Black, 40% Huper Optic Tint, EST Cat Back With Resonator Delete, Headlight Mods, 55W 3K HID Fogs, IPD iPod Adapter, TWM Short Shift and M1 Abrahms knob..... More to come!

?

lol he works there

04 S60 R MT Titanium Grey/Nordcap thread Copper Work VX-XX 19" Staggered | DP & Custom Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion Exterior & Interior | Sport Kit
      12 XC60 Ice White Wifey's Family Hauler | 3.2 AWD | Heico Kit | Fast 19" FC04A | Running Boards
      12 S60 R-Design Ice White | Bone stock for now
      IG: @devolvR

Re: My first mod to the V70R (DevolvR)

Quote, originally posted by DevolvR »

lol he works there

lol. I didn't want to bring it up seeing as i didnt want to get the thread closed but yes I do work there. I tried to keep it as personal as possible to not involve the company or any sales pitches seeing as this is my personal car which has no ties to TWM.

So ya that's why I can switch out shift knobs and take pics...

lol. I didn't want to bring it up seeing as i didnt want to get the thread closed but yes I do work there. I tried to keep it as personal as possible to not involve the company or any sales pitches seeing as this is my personal car which has no ties to TWM.

So ya that's why I can switch out shift knobs and take pics...

You guys make a great product! You did a great job keeping it personal it's just nosy pricks like me that sucked the info out of you. I don't think you need to worry about the thread. You didn't try to sell product, just posted a nice write up!

great DIY! i hate the spaceball and i'm glad the other owner already replaced the shifter else i'd be doing this. Though if i see another shifter i like better i may still do this so good job!
      2004 S60R: Rica Stage II Tune, Phuzzy Motorsports 3" Downpipe & FMIC Kit, SVR TRUE 3" exhaust with EVOLVE tip, Snabb intake, R-Kelly Mod, 18x8.5" EVOLVE H5 wheels... Wish we could have images as Sigs!!!!!!

Nice knob!
      Stock 2004 S60r
      Totalled: Stock 1991 Toyota Mr2 w/ 309k miles.
      Current: Turbo 1991 Mr2 w/ 220k Miles & 2013 Scion Iq

Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

^thanks

Re: (patrickd_21)

patrick,

as requested some pics of my shift knob that has the engraving. will upload non cell phone pics after i treat my interior and clean up the area a bit. The install was really easy (as i expected it to be), starting the threads was really easy too, didn't use cutting oil.

The m1 abrams feels great in the hand, and shifting is nice and smooth.

2 things i should mention- 1. in certain light the satin finish has a hint of slight bronze or gold to it. the cell pic below is worse than in to the naked eye.

2. have a vacuum cleaner on hand to suck up the shavings.

Modified by atacamaR at 2:38 PM 3-23-2010

Re:

Wow, those look great
      '09 A3 2.0TQ
      '71 914-4 2.0L - jackstands

Nice stuff Patrick.

You're not worried about cold weather with that? Many years ago I swore never to do a metal shift knob again because it would never get warm in the winter... My OEM shift knob is wearing out badly though...

-Pascal
      2005 V70R 6MT ~ Ti Gray / Atacama ~ No it's not stock
      2015 Ford F-150 ~ Magnetic / Black ~ It's not stock either

Re: (-Pascal)

Quote, originally posted by -Pascal »
      Nice stuff Patrick.

You're not worried about cold weather with that? Many years ago I swore never to do a metal shift knob again because it would never get warm in the winter... My OEM shift knob is wearing out badly though...

Thanks To be honest I just drove this entire winter with a stainless steel TWM Type R shift knob in my civic beater and it wasn't that bad. Yes it's cold on some mornings, but it warms up pretty quick i find.

If you want, I can let you touch my knob this winter........ lol

If you want, I can let you touch my knob this winter........ lol

LOL! I normally would wear gloves anyway until the cabin got warm enough...
      I wouldn't worry too much about cold knobs..

04 S60 R MT Titanium Grey/Nordcap thread Copper Work VX-XX 19" Staggered | DP & Custom Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion Exterior & Interior | Sport Kit
      12 XC60 Ice White Wifey's Family Hauler | 3.2 AWD | Heico Kit | Fast 19" FC04A | Running Boards
      12 S60 R-Design Ice White | Bone stock for now
      IG: @devolvR

Re: (DevolvR)

If you want, I can let you touch my knob this winter........

Quote, originally posted by DevolvR »

I normally would wear gloves anyway

if it gets that cold in the winter, i'll just fab up a small sock to stick over the knob. though wonder how hard it would be to heat it...

Re: (atacamaR)

At work, we've had alot of request for heated shift knobs, and some people have tried doing it on their own...never turns out looking too good lol

only qualms I have about the spaceball is that I wish it was shorter, and had a boot.
      Silver 2004-R Man Trans, 15% Tints, K&N Air Filter, sport body kit.

At work, we've had alot of request for heated shift knobs, and some people have tried doing it on their own...never turns out looking too good lol

See, that's what I'm talkin' bout though. I want it BMW 7-Series stylz, I'd love to have a heated steering wheel and shift knob. Snowmobiles have heated handlebars, heated foot pads, heated seats and everything, it's about time cars get that too.
      -Pascal
      2005 V70R 6MT ~ Ti Gray / Atacama ~ No it's not stock
      2015 Ford F-150 ~ Magnetic / Black ~ It's not stock either

Quote, originally posted by -Pascal »

See, that's what I'm talkin' bout though. I want it BMW 7-Series stylz, I'd love to have a heated steering wheel and shift knob. Snowmobiles have heated handlebars, heated foot pads, heated seats and everything, it's about time cars get that too.

Top secret stuff here but we are going to be releasing some leather wrapped shift knobs within the next couple months. They will be stainless steel/heavy as well but it'll be less subject to temp changes.

heated steering wheel FTW! i want one so bad and have done a lot of research in the past to make my own... If i get my hands on a spare wheel i may go ahead and try it out but that'll be a project to tackle in the upcomming months
      2004 S60R: Rica Stage II Tune, Phuzzy Motorsports 3" Downpipe & FMIC Kit, SVR TRUE 3" exhaust with EVOLVE tip, Snabb intake, R-Kelly Mod, 18x8.5" EVOLVE H5 wheels... Wish we could have images as Sigs!!!!!!

Re: (Empyrials)

Quote, originally posted by Empyrials »
      heated steering wheel FTW! i want one so bad and have done a lot of research in the past to make my own... If i get my hands on a spare wheel i may go ahead and try it out but that'll be a project to tackle in the upcomming months

didn't know there was much demand, when it's cold, heated steering wheel is last on my mind, wheel never really gets that cold in my opinion.

patrick, i'm sure the diy jobs were terrible on the heated shifters. perhaps if the stick shift tube was hollow where you could run some wires down it for power/heat....

Re: (atacamaR)

didn't know there was much demand, when it's cold, heated steering wheel is last on my mind, wheel never really gets that cold in my opinion.

patrick, i'm sure the diy jobs were terrible on the heated shifters. perhaps if the stick shift tube was hollow where you could run some wires down it for power/heat....

Oh man they were bad...some guy even shocked himself pretty bad. I'll try to find pics for the lulz

what is the length between the bottom of the M1 Abrams shift knob once seated as low as possible to the space ball?
      06 SR MT: sonic/nordkap, IPD TCV, IPD CAI, IPD DP, PhMIC, eibach, IMiV/BT, IPD stg 2, EST catback, JRL mod, H&R 15mm, aerokit, quad exhaust, CF roof spoiler, heico volutionX, TWM short shifter, techna-fit SS lines, IPD track, viva CBV, SNABB, TPMS, euro

05 V50: H&R, EST STB, 20% tint

Re: My first mod to the V70R (bcheng4jc)

Quote, originally posted by bcheng4jc »
      what is the length between the bottom of the M1 Abrams shift knob once seated as low as possible to the space ball?

I'll go outside and measure it for you now

Re: My first mod to the V70R (bcheng4jc)

Quote, originally posted by bcheng4jc »

Slightly less than 2 1/4 inch from the spaceball to the bottom of the shift knob.

Sweet.. You just picked out my new shift knob for me. Great write up!

I call the oem shifter the robot d1ck

2006 Sonic Blue /NordKap SR. 6MT
      3" Custom TBE w/ OBX DP/ IPD HD TCV/ Trans Torque Mount

Re: (onebadR)

Quote, originally posted by onebadR »

I call the oem shifter the robot d1ck

lol, nice.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast