Reverse Camera
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Reverse Camera

Reverse Camera

So I just picked up a '02 V70XC and I want to upgrade a few things. One of the first being the stereo. I plan on getting a Clarion NX500. I also want a reverse camera too. The ones that Crutchfield sell are big and boxy. The license plate style might work, but I want something more OEM looking. I think with the black bumpers a keyhole/peephole style is what I want, but I know nothing about them. Any recommendations? Brands to look at, brands to not look at? Any help on this would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Reverse Camera (TormentedDave)

Dave,

The license plate ones are the easiest solution. The keyhole ones are nice too, but the removal of the bumper is a pain in the rear.

iPD tune / Bilstein HD /25mm sways / Heico dual exhaust / OE sport body kit / HID Projectors / VST strut brace / EU power folding mirror kit / iMIV / Volvotech CFE / etc.

Re: Reverse Camera (TormentedDave)

I am using a camera sold by Sensolutions, one of our advertisers and the guys that sell the iMIV device. It is a small unit that fit nicely on the backside of my rear spoiler.

I have it hooked up to my Kenwood 6160 headunit and it works very well and is easy to install. The picture is clear and in color. It does work in low level light conditions (at night).

2016 V60CC Platinum | Beechwood Brown interior swap | 20-inch Cratus wheels
      2016 S60CC Platinum with lowered sport chassis | Polestar Performance Springs |
      19-inch Polestar wheels | Elevate GT5 Exhaust, rear sway bar, brake lines, rear spoiler
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus (family)

Previous:
      2017 S90 Inscription T6 AWD, 2019 XC40 R-Design T5 AWD, 2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD , 2018 V60 Polestar #103/1500, 2016 XC90 R-Design, 2013 C30 Polestar #141/250,2015.5 V60 R-Design,1998 V70 T5M, 1999 S70 GLT, 2000 V70R, 2004 V70R, 2006 V70R Sonic Blue, 2006 V70R Electric Silver, 2007 V70R Passion Red, 2003 XC90 2.5T, 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Electric Silver, 2007 XC90 Sport V8, Passion Red

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Reverse Camera ([email protected])

I thought you had one that replaced a license plate light?
      Still waiting for some pics of it! And is it hardwired or wireless?
      C'mon Chris. I gots ta know!
      '98 V70 R - Is the AWD worth it? You Betcha!

Re: Reverse Camera (BEJinFbk)

They just sent me that one - I haven't had a chance to install it yet - next weekend. My last paper is due on Monday so I am free for a few weeks!!

It is a hardwired unit. The cable is different than the first camera, I actually like it better because it is smaller and should be get in and around easier.

Here's a quick iPhone picture:

19-inch Polestar wheels | Elevate GT5 Exhaust, rear sway bar, brake lines, rear spoiler

Previous:
      2017 S90 Inscription T6 AWD, 2019 XC40 R-Design T5 AWD, 2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD , 2018 V60 Polestar #103/1500, 2016 XC90 R-Design, 2013 C30 Polestar #141/250,2015.5 V60 R-Design,1998 V70 T5M, 1999 S70 GLT, 2000 V70R, 2004 V70R, 2006 V70R Sonic Blue, 2006 V70R Electric Silver, 2007 V70R Passion Red, 2003 XC90 2.5T, 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Electric Silver, 2007 XC90 Sport V8, Passion Red

That looks pretty slick. Standing by for details...

Best of luck with the paper! Thanks, Chris

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
      They just sent me that one - I haven't had a chance to install it yet - next weekend. My last paper is due on Monday so I am free for a few weeks!!

It is a hardwired unit. The cable is different than the first camera, I actually like it better because it is smaller and should be get in and around easier.

So where did you get this unit from? I assume it is PAL, correct? I've been looking for a PAL camera that replaces the license place light cover, but they all seem to be NTSC.

How much $$ was it?

Present:
      '07 S60R, Black Sapphire/Gobi, 6GT, 18" Pegs, NAV, Prem, Climate, IAQS, Park Asst, iMIV, Updated Rain Squeal Bracket, Aux light kit, Power mirrors with puddle lights
      '07 Acura MDX Elite, Burgundy/Grey, Full Load

Re: (alkuz)

Quote, originally posted by alkuz »
      My experience, for example : http://forum.clubvolvo.ru/showthread.php?t=38585

It's not in English

Present:
      '07 S60R, Black Sapphire/Gobi, 6GT, 18" Pegs, NAV, Prem, Climate, IAQS, Park Asst, iMIV, Updated Rain Squeal Bracket, Aux light kit, Power mirrors with puddle lights

Re: (jclough)

Quote, originally posted by jclough »

It's not in English

Sorry man but are you serious? you’ve been using the internet for how long and don't know how to do this? You make me embarrassed to have grown up in Edmonton.

cut and paste the URL into google translate then (Russian to English)

google translate is here
      http://www.google.ca/language_tools?hl=en

direct trans link is here http://translate.google.ca/tra...UTF-8

iPD tune / Bilstein HD /25mm sways / Heico dual exhaust / OE sport body kit / HID Projectors / VST strut brace / EU power folding mirror kit / iMIV / Volvotech CFE / etc.

Re: (ss60)

Quote, originally posted by ss60 »

Sorry man but are you serious? you’ve been using the internet for how long and don't know how to do this? You make me embarrassed to have grown up in Edmonton.

Feel better now that you've got that out of your system?

cut and paste the URL into google translate then (Russian to English)

google translate is here
      http://www.google.ca/language_tools?hl=en

direct trans link is here http://translate.google.ca/tra...UTF-8

Thanks but the result is barely understandable. What I'm really looking for is a source to purchase the camera that was pictured earlier in this thread. PAL output of course.

Present:

Re: Reverse Camera (jclough)

Sensolutions offers PAL with their X1 camera: $99

http://www.imiv.ca/cms/product...amera/

I am running the NTSC version of this camera with my Kenwood 6140 and the color picture quality is excellent and reverse at night is also very good. I mounted the unit on the backside of my rear spoiler of SS's Project T5, so I have a good downward view to what is behind the rear bumper.

Previous:

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
      Sensolutions offers PAL with their X1 camera: $99

http://www.imiv.ca/cms/product...amera/

I am running the NTSC version of this camera with my Kenwood 6140 and the color picture quality is excellent and reverse at night is also very good. I mounted the unit on the backside of my rear spoiler of SS's Project T5, so I have a good downward view to what is behind the rear bumper.

Thanks Chris. Are you referring to the one in the picture from your previous post (above)? That one looks quite a bit different that the one on the IMIV website. Yours looks like it is ready to replace the license plate light bracket. Did you modify yours or what?

I had asked the IMIV support people about their backup camera back in February and this was their response.

Hi Jeff Clough,

Unfortunately the iMIV Rev. 2 is no longer supported, we don't stock the
      cables necessary for the installation.

Your best option is to buy a back up camera elsewhere that plugs into the RCA ports of the iMIV.

Dan

So, it looks like I need to continue my search elsewhere to find a suitable PAL camera that has RCA jacks and is set up to replace the licence plate light on a 07 S60R. Any ideas?

Thanks,
      Jeff

Present:

eBay.UK
      You'll probably have better luck shopping Euro for a PAL cam.

No, the one I am running looks like the X1. The second one I am unable to mount it in my '98's rear license plate bulb area. That would be a nice location also but the mounting plastic does not cover to entire hole and the mounting holes don't line up.

I've got some ideas on a possible work around but haven't had time to explore. This version has a smaller wire connector making it easier to fish through the body panels.

Previous:

Quote, originally posted by jclough »

Feel better now that you've got that out of your system?

I apologize. I had a very bad/frustrating day involving a fraudulent accountant, and the emotional overflow was spilling into everything I touched.

I used the iMIV X1 (PAL) on an S60 trunk, the eighth inch jack was hard to feed through the various grommets and sleeves, but it did make it through. It's not as perfect, but almost the same asthetically. I mounted it using 3M tape right under the right license plate light. The end result is the same location, but held in place by the double sided tape instead of being a solid one piece plastic mount like you are referring to. This method also required cutting a small notch beside the license plate bulb cover to pass the wire through.

I apologize. I had a very bad/frustrating day involving a fraudulent accountant, and the emotional overflow was spilling into everything I touched.

I used the iMIV X1 (PAL) on an S60 trunk, the eighth inch jack was hard to feed through the various grommets and sleeves, but it did make it through. It's not as perfect, but almost the same asthetically. I mounted it using 3M tape right under the right license plate light. The end result is the same location, but held in place by the double sided tape instead of being a solid one piece plastic mount like you are referring to. This method also required cutting a small notch beside the license plate bulb cover to pass the wire through.

No problem I've had bad days before, but your's seems particularly bad. Good luck with resolving it.

Are you using the original iMIV Rev 2?

Present:

Yes, I'm using the original iMIV rev2 with firmware 1.08 (rti DVD and reverse version). My rev cam is plugged into the the 'video in' port, and wired to the reverse light for 12v power. I did abandon the X1 after a while in favor of an integrated license plate cam, but the X1 appearance was cleaner if the focus is concealed wiring. My car is black so the wire is hard to see anyhow.

I've had both PAL and NTSC cameras hooked to the iMIV, and never noticed a difference in picture quality. Same with the ipod output, PAL or NTSC both give me the same image - probably because the LCD horizontal resolution is only 234 lines IIRC.

Chris the license plate light camera option looks sweet-- any place online to purchase the whole set yet (looks like it'll fit a s60)? or instructions on how to do it (that google translation is bad).

I have been looking at options on where to mount the thing because I want a OEM look and the license plate tags are meh... Another option I found would be drilling a hole in the actual license plate (still have the front one Justin Case) but I think that might requiring drilling a hole in the bumper also-- something like:

Didn't even see ss60's post.. 2 questions:

When you mounted it there, was it obvious at night that there was a camera there because of the dark spot created from the license plate lights? (i'm about to install my 5 led bulbs, so I think the other light might cover the dark spot)

Did you make the notch in the plastic or the car chasis for the wire?

Re: (grownish)

Quote, originally posted by grownish »
      Didn't even see ss60's post.. 2 questions:

When you mounted it there, was it obvious at night that there was a camera there because of the dark spot created from the license plate lights? (i'm about to install my 5 led bulbs, so I think the other light might cover the dark spot)

Not really, my bulbs still lit the plate.

Quote, originally posted by grownish »
      Did you make the notch in the plastic or the car chasis for the wire?

I made the notch in the plastic body panel, and used a small grommet to seal it.

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements