Automatic Transmission Cooler kit?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Automatic Transmission Cooler kit?

does anyone know if there is a kit available similar to the one offered by Viva for the R's?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Automatic Transmission Cooler kit? (SDS40)

Not that I have seen but would be really simple to make. Just simply cut (haha really) one of the factory cooler lines that leads to the radiator at one of the hard line points and connect some hose to an auxiliary cooler. Preferably in a place that gets ample air flow.
      Current: B9 SQ5 | P2 V70R
      Past: 11 ISF | 14 C300 AMG Sport+ | E46M | S40 T5 | NA1 NSX | Acura TL | LS-T DC4

Is it possible for me to buy the R kit and new lines and then mount it somewhere?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: (SDS40)

Probably, you have a link?
      Past: 11 ISF | 14 C300 AMG Sport+ | E46M | S40 T5 | NA1 NSX | Acura TL | LS-T DC4

This is pretty sweet. I was trying to find the oil cooler that mistral was using, but i think this might work better. Is this used as a supplement or a replacement?

Modified by chrisasdf at 7:19 AM 3-23-2010

Dang, I was interested until I saw the price of $759.99. I'm sure there are much cheaper options.
      2005 S40 T5 BSR Stage 3

Yeah, tranny cooler should be easy... but I don't know how easy it is for the S40.

Back when I had a Ford Taurus, I saw people ghetto-fab all sorts of tranny cooler setups (because the Taurus' transmission sucked).

Re: (genjy)

Holy crap 800$! You can get a universal cooler on ebay for 50$ and then just need to run lines to the trans of just modify the stock ones. You merely just need to by pass one of the lines. I would suggest the line thats leaving the radiater as you will cool the fluid more than 190* coolant will

I figured there were cheaper options, however figured that since we own volvos that for some reason universal one's wouldn't work.

As far as brands is there any I should look for?

B&M is a big name and they are fairly cheap as well. From there the lines can get kinda pricey but if you use something with barb fittings you can use generic 3/8 or whatever rubber hose and just screw clamp the ends to the hard pipe on the oem cooler lines.

So i sent an email to George at Viva inquiring about a oil cooler for the s40. Here's what he had to say:

Quote »
      Thanks for the email. I am not aware of anything available from the Volvo parts bin which will bolt up directly to the S40 (P1) automatic gearboxes.

With that said, we can look into what options are available from the aftermarket. We have access to a wide variety of aftermarket transmission cooler cores, and can fabricate the necessary inlet/outlet lines as well. The only issue is that we don't have a car local to us to inspect and develop a kit.

So is anyone close to george to do this? Do yall feel there's enough interest to make this worth looking into?

There are plenty of tranny coolers on summitracing.

Probably not the cheapest, but they will give you guys a good idea on pricing, specs, and fitment.

so far there's 3 people interested. however none are located near viva.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-13-0034/
      could I just buy that and have a shop mount it somewhere?

I was thinking that s60r cooler and then some custom tubing. The reason i say that is because the OEM oil cooler has a built in temp sensor that keeps the oil at a constant temp, which is good for winter. Does the one you linked have something similar?

Re: (chrisasdf)

So then im assuming it uses some sort of thermostat to control temp. Otherwise In the winter Id just throw some card board in front of it and save 500$ lol.

Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

LOL, the OEM core itself is only $300ish, how much extra could fittings and hoses be? I just think it's cool that the OEM one has technology like that on it, plus it's volvo

https://forums.swedespeed.com/z...76531

Modified by chrisasdf at 12:51 PM 3-24-2010

Re: (chrisasdf)

Oh ok, Im picking up what your puttin down lol. You are going to get the core from volvo and make your own fittings. I would agree with that being a good alternative to the kit from viva.

The fittings are held in by the bolt pressed against some o-rings. You could easily make those your self... or what I would do is have some an fittings welded on and run some steel braided lines

Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

Now that sounds like a plan right there kyle. Time to start prioritizing what i want to do now.. too many things are starting to pop up lol

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements