Driver door won't lock/unlock with button or remote. Why?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Driver door won't lock/unlock with button or remote. Why?

Since last night, my driver door will not lock or unlock anymore with my remote or by pressing the lock/unlock button on the door itself. Only way it locks is if i press it down into the door. Only way to UNlock is if I open the handle. I can use the key outside, but it rubs against the door handle and already scratched it I think!

The remote still locks/unlocks the other 3 doors, and the button on the door does the same. Just no driver door action going on!

Anybody have any ideas? It's not the remote, it's not the button (because the other 3 doors lock/unlock with it)

I really don't want to take the door apart!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Driver door won't lock/unlock with button or remote. Why? (HaZed)

What year is your S40/V50? You could have a bad wiring harness in the door. I had to have mine replaced on my 06 V50.
      Tube Screamer
      Kent WA
      2010 C30 R-Design, 6 spd, ELEVATE Tune,Gecko Green
      2006 V50 T5 Electric Silver, RIP!, 2010 VW Golf TDI DSG

Re: Driver door won't lock/unlock with button or remote. Why? (WA V50 T5)

Check your settings on the little screen in your floating console.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Driver door won't lock/unlock with button or remote. Why? (WA V50 T5)

Quote, originally posted by WA V50 T5 »
      What year is your S40/V50? You could have a bad wiring harness in the door. I had to have mine replaced on my 06 V50.

Most cases it is the door harness connectors. They have been updated with gold plated terminals. Will require the service kit and splicing in a new door/body harness connector. Reading of the diagnostic codes will help determine whether its required or not.

Dont do many door latches on these like the other models so If I had to guess it would be the harnesses. Does it do it more when it rains?

Current: 11 ISF | P2 V70R
      Past: 14 C300 AMG Sport+ | E46M | S40 T5 | NA1 NSX | Acura TL | LS-T DC4

It is an 05 S40 2.4i

It rained a little yesterday (which is the first day I noticed it happened.) It could have been going on for awhile...who knows? It ALWAYS does it! Today it didnt' rain at all!

Is it something I can do to avoid the 500 million dollars the stealership would charge?

That happened to both driver and passenger REAR doors at different times.

I changed my battery and everything was back to normal. Now, it may have been a coincidence, but it hasn't done it since. I didn't mind the major things like the PCV and 02 sensor, but it's the little things like this door look issue that really piss me off.

Re: Driver door won't lock/unlock with button or remote. Why? (40 Rouge)

With mine it was the Drivers Door Module (DDM)- water ingress at drivers side mirror, follows wire harness down to DDM. It'll corrode and become an intermittent (and eminently permanent issue, I assume.) Could be that. My symptoms were back door locks and windows not operating. If harness not much, but if DDM that's an expensive one. The dealer I got the car from gave me a DDM (b/c I'd bought it from them used weeks prior) but I haven't installed yet as the problem hasn't recurred - it's been months.

Re: Driver door won't lock/unlock with button or remote. Why? (EricV)

Well unfortunately customer pay door harness is in the range of 700-800$. But the water ingress into the door modules is actually pretty common as well, which the modules are pricey as well.

Re: Driver door won't lock/unlock with button or remote. Why? (EricV)

Quote, originally posted by 40 Rouge »
      I changed my battery and everything was back to normal. Now, it may have been a coincidence, but it hasn't done it since.

HaZed, how old is your battery? It could be a potential factor.

Quote, originally posted by EricV »
      The dealer I got the car from gave me a DDM (b/c I'd bought it from them used weeks prior) but I haven't installed yet as the problem hasn't recurred - it's been months.

Same thing happened to me when my left rear door acted up. It only did it for 2 days and was back to normal. My dealer got the part ready for me and I was also ready to get slapped with a four-figure repair bill, but just before I took it in everything worked fine and hasn't recurred for a few months.

Don't race with Volvos just because they don't look fast. Most of they actually are...

Re: Driver door won't lock/unlock with button or remote. Why? (frontwheeldriven)

Quote, originally posted by frontwheeldriven »

HaZed, how old is your battery? It could be a potential factor.

Same thing happened to me when my left rear door acted up. It only did it for 2 days and was back to normal. My dealer got the part ready for me and I was also ready to get slapped with a four-figure repair bill, but just before I took it in everything worked fine and hasn't recurred for a few months.

I'm not sure how old my battery is....Been there since I bought the car a year ago.

Im still under warranty so I'd only get hit with a $100 deductable... I'll rip the panel off and tinker with it...If i can't fix it, It's going to the dealership and I get to beat the crap out of another rental for a day! lol

I've had the harness replaced once under warranty and the next year, the temp gauge is reading all over the place (rainy days being the worst).

Id hate to have to pay 700+ to have it replaced again, now that its outside of warranty. Is there anything short of replacement that can be done? I used dielectric grease, but now I'm thinking it might be an issue of contact altogether.

Any ideas?

Re: Driver door won't lock/unlock with button or remote. Why? (AutoFahren)

The grease was a band aide, the new terminals were intended to correct the issue. However doesnt still mean that the sensor in the mirror isnt bad for your ambient temp concern.

Or that you have gotten water ingress into the DDM. Door harnesses were mostly intended to cure the door lock/winder failures and ambient temp fault codes stored.

Re: Driver door won't lock/unlock with button or remote. Why? (ForceFed Motorsports)

on my brand new car just yesterday and yes its raining THIS door lock BS happend ,, on the front doors but not the trunk nore rear doors... the remote did NOTHING... i think i got a lemon car...
      MOTOR; K&N intake tube, BSR Heat shield/ECU mount, Samco silicone intake pipe, Upgraded Trannymount, EST Downpipe, Magnaflow 3" muffler, Mountune intake manifold, Bell FMIC, Phuzzy HD TCV, Forge CBV, IPD HD coilpacks, Bosch 70mm Throttlebody.
      SUSPENSION; KWv2 Coilovers, EST strut brace, Elevate rear sway bar, SPC camber arms.
      AESTHETICs; IPD Door pins.

Re: Driver door won't lock/unlock with button or remote. Why? (Evolv0)

The bulletin didnt apply to late model S40's, Id just take yours in since its still under warranty and have them scan it for codes. For how much of these cars are CAN bus/ LIN bus/ Network of some freakin kind controlled one small glitch in communication and random failures can occur.

Hi HaZed,

I have the same problem with my '06 S40. Seems to only happen when it either rains or is cold (which it is up here for 6 months a year). I talked to the guys at the stealership a year ago about this and they told me the S40's are prone to having door harness problems. May apply to the V50 as well.

If you can get it done under warranty, go for it.

In the driveway: 2012 S60 T6 AWD | Black/Beechwood | Premium/Climate/Convenience Packages | BLIS | Sunroof | Active Bending Bi-Xenon | iPd Skid Plate | TFT DIM upgrade (mine), ... Former - 2006 S40 2.4i M56
      2009 Acura RDX & 1995 Celica GT Convertible (wife), 2017 GMC Sierra SLE | Elevation Edition | Crew Cab (son)

I'm still hoping it will fix itself!

It's been 4 days since noticed and still nothing!!!

It hasn't rained in days and is in the mid-high 70s here everyday.

Re: (HaZed)

Lets do a small experiment : Try Cleaning the Back of the Battery inside Your Key Bob / Try Cleaning and Tightening the Battery Terminal Connections on Your Cars Battery .

Does Your Neighborhood , have a lot of garages , might have - Rolling Code
      Type Doors or Alarm Systems Near-By - with Rolling Wireless Codes ?

Tried and no luck!

I dropped the car off at the stealership tonight and they give me a damn Kia Forte for a loaner! WTF!?!

There goes another $100 deductable!

Wow kia loaner cars... We have a fleet of loaner S40's

Yeah, the dealer here just became "Don Beyer Volvo Kia". don't know wtf they are thinking. At least they still give S40 (2.4) loaners, for now...
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

It wasn't a Volvo loaner....There's an enterprise office inside the Volvo dealership. Tells ya how many problems Volvo has to have a rental car company office at the dealership! lol

$142.xx, and my door works again! Warranty covered $247 plus rental for the day! The invoice doesn't even say what was wrong!

Detailed Invoice or don't Pay the Dealer , It's That Simple !

You have No Idea , What they Did ?

List all Parts Numbers ?

I just took a look again it says....

"driver door lock failure replaced drivers door lock"

This is the only thing that looks like a part number: 30799308 Lock, left

Parts were 111.59, Labor was 210.00

They told me my rear brake pads were down to 3mm and told me i need replacing soon (which I knew.) They said pads were $169.99!!!!! I almost laughed on the phone!

While at advance today, I got a price for ceramic rears....$47.xx for the rears.

Checked the number, and it's the lock actuator...

Just got this problem. My warranty went out 2 WEEKS AGO. I don't know why this happens, no locks, no windows. Any tips?

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements