SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Opinion on Towing with a XC90 2.5T FWD

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Spasoje 
#1 ·
I've been contemplating trading in my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a used 2.5T XC90. This is my primary vehicle and I do predominately highway miles so fuel econ is important. On occassion I tow my 21' boat which weighs 3500lbs+trailer (total ~5000lbs) 2 miles to the boat ramp. The roads are pancake flat down here in Florida so no issues with elevation changes and etc. I'd prefer a 2.5T AWD model but its hard to find those down here so I wanted to get people's opinion on whether I can get away with only a FWD. I do realize the tow rating on the 2.5T is 3500lbs but I figure only 2 mi to the boat ramp over flat surfaces and I plan to install a transmission cooler, I may be able to away with it. My only concern with the FWD is pulling the boat out of the water. I wonder if the front wheels have enough weight to get the traction to yank the boat out at the ramp. Has anyone on the forum towed a boat with a 2.5T fwd?

#3 ·
Re: Opinion on Towing with a XC90 2.5T FWD (Swede_Erik)

Not entirely sure of the ramp angles but they are well maintained down here and always grooved. It only get's sketchy during very low tides when the truck backs further down the ramp onto some of the slimy stuff.

#4 ·
Re: Opinion on Towing with a XC90 2.5T FWD (volvofla)

Haven't had the opportunity to tow with a FWD, though I'd personally go with the safe route and get an AWD. Even if the FWD will be fine 99% of the time, in that 1% when it's not, you'll be kicking yourself.

Plus, the GC is a 4x4, so you'll definitely notice a difference when there is no power sent to the rear wheels.

#6 ·
Re: Opinion on Towing with a XC90 2.5T FWD (PeenouyVolvoXC90)

Get the xc90, and an old 4x4 truck that can drive 4 miles each way to take the boat out.

Use the truck for a truck, use the xc90 for what it is.. a car..

#7 ·
Re: Opinion on Towing with a XC90 2.5T FWD (PeenouyVolvoXC90)

Quote, originally posted by PeenouyVolvoXC90 »
Volvo XC90 AWD = Joke

Do a search of AWD malfunctions here and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Somehow the exceptional traction the AWD provides (and for a long time if you don't abuse the car) seems like less of a joke...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.