Exterior windshield reveal molding - only sold with the windshield?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Exterior windshield reveal molding - only sold with the windshield?

My question is this, on a 98 coupe can you remove the plastic side reveal moldings that cover the edge of the front windshield along the A pillar without removing / damaging the seal on the windshield? Does the molding just pop out and then snap back in place?

The reason I ask is because the passenger side molding was at one point broken and then someone super glued it back together (a couple of large 3" chips) - not very noticeable unless you're looking at it from less than 10 feet - but it bugs the hell out of me.

The problem is when I went online to Tasca to ask about getting a replacement, the site said to contact them for a price. It turns out the part is only sold along with the windshield not separately??? Got the same message from another dealer VolvoWholesaleParts.

So instead I will turn to a pick and pull or Erie Vovo but first I need to know if I can replace the molding without damaging the seal on the windshield?
      1998 C70 HPT M, Saffron on Charcoal, built engine, EST RIP, IPD Short Ram, IPD Catback, Bilstein Touring struts/HD shocks, IPD springs, R bumper, Jewels, 98 XC grille, 6000k HIDs

1998 S70 T5 A, Emerald Green on Tan

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I ran into this issue two weeks ago. Sadly the side molding is part of the window and is only sold as part of the windshield. As a result I filed an insurance claim and had the whole windshield replaced. From what I could see from the new windshield, the side molding are intregrated into the glass and come as one unit which makes it difficult to replace the molding without damaging the seal.

Seems like your stuck like I was with replacing the whole windshield or super glue...

I have the same problem with the rear window. At least that is sold separate, but according to the glass installer the glass need to be removed for proper installation which is an issue. I'm planning to remove the old rear molding and replacing it with black sealant/chalking from home depot.

PM
      If you have a chance please do post about your rear window molding removal and fix. I think I will have to do this soon and I am sure others are suffering from similar issues.

Jerome

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yeah, Justin told me the same thing. There's no way I'm filing a claim though since the previous owner repaired the molding in a manner that only an aesthete like me could disagree with. It's only at 5 feet from the molding that you can tell it was previously broken.

Think I will wait until I've got nothing better to do with $500 - which will be a long time - since the windshield itself has less than 6k miles on it. What did the replacement cost you / your insurer? Was it OEM Pilkington glass?
      1998 C70 HPT M, Saffron on Charcoal, built engine, EST RIP, IPD Short Ram, IPD Catback, Bilstein Touring struts/HD shocks, IPD springs, R bumper, Jewels, 98 XC grille, 6000k HIDs

1998 S70 T5 A, Emerald Green on Tan

Glass replacement was Pilkington, OEM, $100 glass deductible with AAA insurance. The window with moldings and installation was $982.00. I"m pretty sure that tasca has the glass for around $450, and moldings are close to $90. The insurance company ordered the glass kit from the nearest dealer, which in this case was Power Volvo Irvine. As most locals know that the most expensive dealer in OC. From them the glass kit was close to $800 and installation and tax was the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by C Jerome View Post
      PM
      If you have a chance please do post about your rear window molding removal and fix. I think I will have to do this soon and I am sure others are suffering from similar issues.

Jerome
      Jerome,

I'll definitely will. I replaced the rear window molding once before without removing the rear window, and needless to say the new molding hasn't weather too well. I think I over stretched it. Hence, the reason I'm looking at black sealant/chalking approach now. My rear side windows started leaking recently. I'm looking at buying the replacement seal for those. That projects looks fairly straight forward. I'm sure someone else has had to replace this seal.

I would agree that the side rear window seals should be an easier project than the rear window. I fortunately have not had any issues yet with the sides, I rarely open them or have back seat passengers. I have noticed a little increased wind noise from my front driver side window from the back vertical seal (that canvas like strip) any experience with replacing that?

Quote Originally Posted by C Jerome View Post
      I would agree that the side rear window seals should be an easier project than the rear window. I fortunately have not had any issues yet with the sides, I rarely open them or have back seat passengers. I have noticed a little increased wind noise from my front driver side window from the back vertical seal (that canvas like strip) any experience with replacing that?
      Yup, I've replaced both sides at least twice. The more you open and close the windows the more it wears out and start to increase the wind noise and let water in. Fairly straigh forward replacement. Pull the old piece off, its just glued on like a sticker. Once removed start at the door edge at the door edge and work your way towards the rear side window. Using a bone tool, move the material into the window jam and remove the sticker along with way. Fairly straight forward. The other option is to remove the rear side window, which is a pain.
      1998 Volvo C70 - Mystic Silver/Charcoal, Stage III
      2007 Volvo S60r - Electric Silver/Nordkap - SOLD, and Missed.
      2012 Volvo S60 T5 - Caspian Blue/Off-black

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements