Towing Boat with FWD XC90 2.5T?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Towing Boat with FWD XC90 2.5T?

Does anyone out there tow a boat using a fwd xc90 2.5T. According to the owner's manual the max tow rating on a 2.5T is 4000 lbs with 2 people in the truck. I have a 5000lbs boat/trailer combo which I recognize is beyond the towing limit but the ramp is 1 mi away and I don't ever intend to ever do any great distances. I'm certain it can pull the boat on the pancake flat roads here in florida but my concern is pulling it out of the water on the boat ramp. On the other hand the front wheels will be off the slimy/wet section so I'd assume there would be more grip. But then again I don't know how much weight is on the front tires. Any real world experience is appreciated.
      2006 BMW M3 Coupe
      2004 S60R, GT (Sold)
      2005 XC90 2.5T
      2007 BMW 525i (Mrs)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Is the trailer equipped with its own brakes? If it doesn't, according to the XC90's owners manual, the maximum permissible trailer weight is just a piddling 1,700 lbs.

On boat ramps FWD cars are at a significant disadvantage regardless of just how dry the boat ramp is above water level as, due to the ramp's incline and the effects of gravity, the majority of the car's weight will shift towards the rear axle and the trailer's tongue weight will further hurt the prospects of front wheel traction.

Yes the trailer does come with trailer brakes. I'm currently towing with a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. It has no problems pulling it out of the ramp with 4x4 engaged. It will literally idle up the ramp with 4 wheel. I was hoping I can get away with the 2.5T since it weights 4400 lbs which is 500 more than my JGC. Does anyone know the weight distribution of the 2.5t fwd?
      2006 BMW M3 Coupe
      2004 S60R, GT (Sold)
      2005 XC90 2.5T
      2007 BMW 525i (Mrs)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

According to Motor Trend a FWD XC90 2.5T has a 53:47 front-to-rear weight distribution ratio, naturally with the car on level ground.

Needless to say, a FWD XC90 doesn't have the same pronounced front-biased weight balance like so many other front drivers that is preferred in low traction situations.

Well... the XC90 is not close to a Cherokee 4x4 (or a truck for that matter) for pullin out a boat. It is just a tall station wagon, with FWD in your case. Add a trailer and
      the front is even lighter. Slick ramps and FWD are not a good match, unless you have a 4x4 hooked to your front bumper..

The weight of the XC90 isnt the key, it is all 4 tires pulling.... The rears being the ones with the most traction usually.

Will putting the transmission in Winter mode help pull the boat out of the water.
      2006 BMW M3 Coupe
      2004 S60R, GT (Sold)
      2005 XC90 2.5T
      2007 BMW 525i (Mrs)

Quote Originally Posted by volvofla View Post
      Will putting the transmission in Winter mode help pull the boat out of the water.
      Quite opposite. Transmission starts in 3rd gear in Winter mode. You would not have enough torque to pull. I would try using the front towing hooks and pulling backward in reverse. You need more load on driving wheels, which are the front ones.

Quote Originally Posted by gascos80 View Post
      Quite opposite. Transmission starts in 3rd gear in Winter mode. You would not have enough torque to pull. I would try using the front towing hooks and pulling backward in reverse. You need more load on driving wheels, which are the front ones.
      Will need a hitch on the front to do this, maybe using the front tow hook points?

Maybe have a tow strap attached to the front tow points when you back in so you have easy access for towing before the
      boat and car slip into the lake.

You could also give it a try pulling yourself...you know, how heavy can a boat be?

Jokes aside, save yourself the headache and either tow with a V8 AWD or find an old truck. Towing with FWD isn't the best idea, moreso if what's being towed is well over the max rating!
      Last edited by Spasoje; 06-22-2010 at 11:01 PM.
      '09 XC90 3.2 AWD 5p w/ BLIS, Ice White/Graphite, SR/Luxury/Convenience/Dynaudio w/ USB

Fill your 3.2 up with 91 octane: I've had an extra 100km per tank ever since!

An AWD 3.2 or 2.5T would work just as well.

1.5 miles? You will be fine. Slippery ramp may be a problem.

For reference these are the 2 ramps I primarily launch.

http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/parks...ertwinters.htm

http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/parks...rtreynolds.htm

Grant the pics were taken at high tide so keep in mind it may be steeper down lower.
      2006 BMW M3 Coupe
      2004 S60R, GT (Sold)
      2005 XC90 2.5T
      2007 BMW 525i (Mrs)

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements