2010 XC60 T6 vs 2010 XC90 3.2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2010 XC60 T6 vs 2010 XC90 3.2

I am here in Canada at a local dealer and I have been offered both cars at nearly the same price. The XC60 is a T6 model with basically everything but NAV. The XC90 is a premium model (I think that is the package) with NAV, no bluetooth although I understand that this can be added.

I drove both yesterday, the XC60 is of course a lot sportier and has all the latest tech, but the pure size and greater feel of luxury of the XC90 (plus value I guess) make it a tough decision. The 3.2 engine in the XC90 however feels a bit overloaded.

Any input here? I have read about a lot of problems with the XC90 (tranny, etc) but they seem to be isolated to the older models? The XC60 is a lot newer but I was hoping the smaller size would equate to much better mileage than the XC90 but they seem to be close as I drive almost exclusively on highways and unbroken stretches of country road. I have a family of 4 with two little ones, we snow ski, at some point will probably buy a boat for fishing, and we will use the car for driving up north. We have successfully used a V40 + roof box in the past for these trips so room is not a huge consideration. We will be trading in a Sienna Van (too big) and our second car is a Camry Hybrid.

Just looking for experience/opinion (all are welcome) from someone who has experience with one or the other or both.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I had/have 2 XC90's. This is a pinnacle of Volvo's family car design. The XC60, IMHO is a step down or sideway from the practicality and versatility. Yes, XC60 is sportier and more contemporaneous (which is not necessary better). My family of four, including 2 mid-20th girls believe that the XC90's exterior design is an unsurpassed classic beauty. And it seems that you've already got the sense of overall refinement and luxury. The fuel consumption should be a toss, AFAIK.
      Is XC90 an AWD? I would not even consider a FWD SUV, a contradiction of terms, especially, if you plan to tow a boat.

2010 XC90 3.2 is completely sorted out, I do not know about any common problems that still exist in that trim. The T6 is stronger, but 3.2 is no slouch either, and you;ll be fine, if you would not drive the relatively large SUV the same way a small sport coupe. I used to have even smaller 2.5T and it was perfectly adequate, and I have 3.2 S80 now. So, I know the engine. 2010 has different engine management software settings, so it feels more agile that my 08.

On a practical side - I would dump the NAV if you can get a better deal on the one without it. The portable OEM system (or even a modern PDA or a Smart Phone) with a good holder will do the same job at a small fraction of a cost. I have the built-in NAV in XC90 (bought used, had no choice) and use the TomTom in S80 (sharing with two other cars). I prefer TomTom.
      I will highly recommend 7 seats - you never know when you need them, but sure enough, you'll miss them if you would not have them.

Bluetooth add-on looks outdated, but does what it supposed to do quite well. I have it on 08 S80.

Speaking of skiing...we bought XC90 originally in 2004 basically right after it was introduced, having our frequent ski trips in mind. Fold a center part of a middle seat (we have a 7 seater) and XC90 will "swallow" 4 pair of skis, boots, all other gears, food and other supplies for a week long trip with a ton of room to spare. No need for a roof rack or a roof box. We even go with 6 people (2 on each row with the skis, polls and occasionally, a snowboard in the middle) for shorter trips, A snowboard is not a problem either, if two kids do not care to be "separated" by it.
      Last edited by gascos80; 07-18-2010 at 02:54 PM.

i've had both as well...

08 XC90 V8 Sport (2 years)

10 XC60 T6 (9 months - traded in on the r-design)

10 XC60 R-Design (2 months)

to start off with the XC90 - a great timeless looking suv with quite a bit of versatility. while it had the 3rd row seating (standard) never used, always in the down position (no kids). the cargo space is twice that of the XC60 imo... so if you are in need of lots of cargo space on a regular basis the XC90 is a better fit. and i must agree - i test drove the 3.2 XC90 and it is way underpowered in my opinion... the vehicle seems to struggle.

as for the 2 XC60 i have had... the T6 is a nice engine (a bit of turbo lag at the onset - but acceptable). the r-design is superior in comparison to our nearly loaded T6... the extras are worth every dollar. the technology offered with the T6 easily surpasses the XC90 as well as the much newer styling and design.

if space is not an issue, i would select the XC60 T6.
      Last edited by andrew sport; 07-19-2010 at 06:05 AM.
      2010 XC60 R-Design
      Electric Silver w/ off black interior
      Media Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Climate Pkg, Blis, PCC
      ~ front window tint 35%, full clear bra, dust-free ceramic brake pads, rear spacers 15mm h&r, silvervision bulbs, front fogs, debadged ~

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gascos80 View Post

[....]
      Is XC90 an AWD? I would not even consider a FWD SUV, a contradiction of terms, especially, if you plan to tow a boat.
      It is the AWD model.

2010 XC90 3.2 is completely sorted out, I do not know about any common problems that still exist in that trim. The T6 is stronger, but 3.2 is no slouch either, and you;ll be fine, if you would not drive the relatively large SUV the same way a small sport coupe.

I will highly recommend 7 seats - you never know when you need them, but sure enough, you'll miss them if you would not have them.
      That's essentially my problem. I have two small kids and we occasionally have to haul around guests/in-laws. Not sure we can get away with just 5 passenger seating.

Speaking of skiing...we bought XC90 originally in 2004 basically right after it was introduced, having our frequent ski trips in mind. Fold a center part of a middle seat (we have a 7 seater) and XC90 will "swallow" 4 pair of skis, boots, all other gears, food and other supplies for a week long trip with a ton of room to spare. No need for a roof rack or a roof box. We even go with 6 people (2 on each row with the skis, polls and occasionally, a snowboard in the middle) for shorter trips, A snowboard is not a problem either, if two kids do not care to be "separated" by it.
      I guess the next question for me (in the XC90 forum) is whether or not anyone actually uses the XC90 as a tow vehicle for lightweight stuff (small boat).

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew sport View Post
      i've had both as well...

08 XC90 V8 Sport (2 years)

10 XC60 T6 (9 months - traded in on the r-design)

10 XC60 R-Design (2 months)

to start off with the XC90 - a great timeless looking suv with quite a bit of versatility. while it had the 3rd row seating (standard) never used, always in the down position (no kids). the cargo space is twice that of the XC60 imo... so if you are in need of lots of cargo space on a regular basis the XC90 is a better fit. and i must agree - i test drove the 3.2 XC90 and it is way underpowered in my opinion... the vehicle seems to struggle.

as for the 2 XC60 i have had... the T6 is a nice engine (a bit of turbo lag at the onset - but acceptable). i the r-design is superior in comparison to our nearly loaded T6. the extras are worth every dollar. the technology offered with the T6 easily surpasses the XC90 as well as the much newer styling and design.

if space is not an issue, i would select the XC60 T6.
      Thanks for the feedback. Space is somewhat of an issue. But this is my daily driver. If I can get the wife to keep her van then we don't need another big vehicle.

Solution: Get you wife the XC90 and get yourself a XC60

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      Solution: Get you wife the XC90 and get yourself a XC60
      I wish!

Actually, I sorta took your advice (not really but take the credit anyhow). I bought the XC90 for all the reasons that gascos80 had mentioned as well as the fact that it was a pretty good deal relative to the XC60. When the wifes van comes up on lease I am going to look into one of the sedans, probably the S60.

Congrats! You will not be disapointed...

S60? Looked at it at least on 3 consecutive new car purchases - and ended up with S80...the difference in refinement and comfort off-sets the difference in price plentifuly...

I know earthling bought the XC90, but it remains an interesting comparison between the two. From my perspective, if you don't need the space and third row, the XC60 is a very capable vehicle. That being said, if I needed a third row, I would get an XC90 V8.

When I had a 2010 XC60 T6, I towed the biggest U-haul trailer available over 650 miles from NY to Wilmington, NC. It was packed with furniture for two apartments. I think I was very close to the max towing capacity. Set the cruise on 65 the entire trip (regardless of speed limit, which varied from 55 - 65 - 70). The car was rock solid with excellent performance. Averaged 16.5 mpg for the trip down, 22 on the way back (sans trailer).

Also took the XC60 camping with three kids, bikes, tent, etc. for a four day weekend in the Adirondack mountains. This was the limit though. Any more people (or stuff) and I would have needed an XC90.

His: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD R-Design, Red, Black Nu-buck. Hers: 2019 XC60 T5 FWD Momentum, Silver, blond leather.
      His Toy: 2017 Mazda Miata, Red with beige leather, 6MT. Her toy: 2013 C70, Caspian Blue with black sovereign hide interior.
      Daughter number one: 2016 XC60 T5 FWD
      Daughter number two: 2018 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum with Polestar, Son-in-Law: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Daughter number three: 2020 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum 6 passenger

I have had three XC90's (2.5T, 3.2, and V8) and a XC60 T6. You made a wise choice by going with the XC90, however like Chris did, I'd have recommended the V8 over the 3.2.

My XC60 was an electrical nightmare and I think CitySafety is the most foolish invention ever made for the automotive industry. Not only that, the quality of materials in my XC60 was quite subpar with the driver's seat cover being replaced twice and all door panels being replaced once.

Yes, the XC60 is a nice SUV, but not functional. I buy SUV's as work vehicles, not as image/status symbols and why spend $50k on a XC60 T6 AWD when you can get a S80 T6 AWD WITHOUT the idiotic CitySafety and get the exact same platform/powertrain of the XC60 T6 in sedan guise for 2/3 the cost of a XC60 after all S80 incentives are factored in.
      2015 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic Silver/Red

Thanks for the photographs! I'm looking to tow an 1800# travel trailer and loved seeing the XC60 with a trailer attached. My trailer will just be under the 90KG (189#) tongue weight. My wife is on the fence but I think would prefer a 4Runner. Seeing this photo, plus looking at the HP and Torque figures for the XC60 helps me with considering the XC60 as a tow vehicle.
      But a picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements