I can't believe this happened - All new 'R' owners - Beware the Exhaust Bracket of Death.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation I can't believe this happened - All new 'R' owners - Beware the Exhaust Bracket of Death.

Any new 'R' owners may want to pay more attention to this topic. I wish I had.

Here is just one of many threads on this subject: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...acket-of-death

Driving home today, due to construction on our street, our driveway was blocked and I pulled into my neighbousrs drive. Four people in the VR and it scraped the ground quite hard. Heard a grinding sound right way. An hour later I was able to get into my drive and I jacked up the car and had a look. The EBD was bent back and pushing up on the resonator. The resonator was touching the driveshaft. Removed the bracket and used a prybar to pull the exhaust back down. Everything looked OK until I took it for a drive arround the block. Vibration starting at 25 mph. Taking it to the stealership tomorrow morning. Not likely that they will cover this under warranty.

Out of curiosity, after I got the EBD off, I took the car next door and checked the clearance. Sure enough, with no one in the car, there was about 1 inch clearance at the point of impact. It was not so much a bump in the drive, but more of a change in angle and looks like it should not have been an issue.

CONCLUSION: Whover designed this bracket at Volvo was out of their skull.
      2007 V70R GT, Black Sapphire, Nordkap, Nav, Sub Woofer & Bluetooth, Track Spec Sways, EBD & Resonator Delete, Four-C-Mod, Machined Pegs

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Many have paid the price for a useless piece of metal. I probably would have if the info had not been on SS.
      2005 V70R, Fully Loaded Stealth Wagon - SOLD on 19 Jan '13 (Went to a good 2nd owner)

Senior Member 850arrrsaylikepirate's Avatar
      Dude the EBD strikes again.

Sorry bro but from the threads here, the dealer will not cover this under warranty, but its always worth a try.
      2006 S60R - Black Sapphire~Nordkap~GT~iPd Track Spec Sways~TME Springs~TME DP-Exhaust~Bell FMIC~iMIV~E-Codes
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD - aka the kiddo hauler
      1997 4x4 Nissan - Fook mi this thing is slow

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The exhaust bracket of death strikes again. I know firsthand how much this sucks. I lucked out in getting mine fixed for free (dealerships fault) but ask anyway. Volvo HAS to know about this problem. If the sampling of people who have had their driveshaft busted due to this bracket on this forum is anything to go by, I can't imagine what drivers of the R outside of this forum have dealt with.

That's terrible news for a new R owner. Sorry to hear.
      Good luck getting it resolved.
      06 VR 6M, Sapphacama, 207miles, loaded and modded.
      "…it must be made to look the best and most evil in its evilness." - Helmut

Volvo does know about the problem, there is an updated part. They make you pay for it though, kinda messed up.
      Service technician - Scandinavian Imports - Rockville, MD - Check us out on facebook
      Stable: '07 M66 SR saphkap - Pride and joy '96 M56 855 Platinum - Daily driver/rolling project car '09 S40 R design - Hers.

they only make you pay for it if you aren't in warranty. I got the rain squeal bracket, which is not the same as removing it or shimming it.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Quote Originally Posted by technicalminded View Post
      Volvo does know about the problem, there is an updated part. They make you pay for it though, kinda messed up.
      There is no updated bracket. The TNN says to remove it, nothing about a new bracket.

The rain squeal bracket is different in it's operation and serves a completely different purpose.
      2006 S60R - Black Sapphire~Nordkap~GT~iPd Track Spec Sways~TME Springs~TME DP-Exhaust~Bell FMIC~iMIV~E-Codes

Quote Originally Posted by 850arrrsaylikepirate View Post
      There is no updated bracket. The TNN says to remove it, nothing about a new bracket.

The rain squeal bracket is different in it's operation and serves a completely different purpose.
      Yep. The TNN basically just says if the customer requests the bracket to be removed that it can be done and that you should use some little shims (basically funky shaped washers) to hold up the heat shield.
      2006 V70R Gone but not forgotten | 2009 Saab 9-7x Aero | 2006 Jaguar Super V8 | 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee | Car Of The Week

Dude your a day late and a doller short... we knew about this issuse from day 1!
      No more R got a 1995 240sx converted to a Silvia in replacement... Can't say I miss the Volvo
      P.s no more am i Volvo tech... I now am a shop Forman at a high performance shop.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
      Yeah right, he's all happy you called...then a yellow birdie flys by and oh here's a cupcake, btw what were we talking about...

Wow.... I can't believe that those thing's are still gettin folks......With that did they (Volvo) have a TCN on that???

Quote Originally Posted by legonzo View Post
      Wow.... I can't believe that those thing's are still gettin folks......With that did they (Volvo) have a TCN on that???
      The TNN was only applied if the customer asked for it. They never took them off on their own, why I don't know.

You can try and go after the construction company, or the city for damages a a result of the construction. Just an idea!

Quote Originally Posted by carpe_veritas View Post
      You can try and go after the construction company, or the city for damages a a result of the construction. Just an idea!
      Well it wasn't their fault he drove into his neighbors driveway with a bunch of people in his car.

Yeah I can't enter one particular gate in my building if there are people in the backseat or I will hear a loud scraping noise of metal on concrete because there is a quick incline then decline at the sidewalk. I never knew what caused it until now. After reading this I guess I've been fortunate that it just scrapes a bit there and never bent it (or so I assume). I'm always careful when I see those kinds of elevation changes but sometimes what are you supposed to do?? Geez.

there is a revised part, a braided wire loop. And when they put on the rain squeal bracket the EBOD comes off.
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      there is a revised part, a braided wire loop. And when they put on the rain squeal bracket the EBOD comes off.
      True the EBD does come off when the rain squeal bracket goes on but they do not serve the same purpose and are not referenced together in the TNN.

The braided wire loop?? Ummm, that's an old TakSpeed product from way back. They introduced it when the EBD was first being discussed to help easy peoples minds about not knowing what the EBD was for. Now that we know its completely useless, there is no need for the TakSpeed wire dealio.

The TNN was only applied if the customer asked for it. They never took them off on their own, why I don't know.
      Because then they're admitting fault, right?
      2007 S60R MT::Ti-Nordkap
      RICA Stage II::TME DP/Exhaust::PhMIC::IPD Track Spec Sways::TME Springs::GiroDisc 2-piece rotors::Kelly/Lill CAI

Now that we know its completely useless, there is no need for the TakSpeed wire dealio.
      I still have mine... scared to take it off for fear of disrupting under body air flow...

One argument was in case the rear hangers failed, it would keep the exhaust from dragging on the ground.

But since no knew what it was for, made sense to get one if you were already ordering something from Takspeed.

Speaking of Takspeed, are they still in business? I don't see vizwiz post anymore...
      2004 S60R MT Titanium/Nordkap, Premium, Comfort, Nav, Bluetooth, IMiV, ProSport
      2xCAI, BMC filter, Snabb Intake, Viva FMIC/Turbo/CBV, AEM H20 Inj, RICA Stage 3, EST DP, Mod EST Exh, GiroDisc 2pc rotors/SS lines/Ti Shims, IPD endlinks/25mm rear sway, OZ Superturismo LMs, Euro Headlights and so on...
      Link to R Kelly CAI @ IPD

Hey everyone. Here is an update on where I'm at with this thing.

Dealer was booked solid today but they will be able to look at it on Monday. So the R sat in my garage today.
      The service consultant said it would not be covered under warranty.

I called another dealer I know and got to speak with a tech. He mentioned he has personally seen this five times. He also told me that the bracket does have a purpose. It's there to assist the worker on the assembly line, kind of like having an extra hand. Once the exhaust is up it serves no purpose. So it's not for air flow and its not a safety net when the exhaust suddenly drops from the car.

Last thing he mentioned was that if the exhaust is bent the bill would be over $3200. Propeller shaft cost alone is $ 1,450.00 plus labour.

I also called a local specialty driveshaft repair shop. If I can bring them the propeller shaft, they will put it on "The Machine". Depending on how bad it is, they should be able to repair it. Budget is $ 70.00 to straighten and $ 60.00 to ballance.

So maybe...just maybe, for under $ 200 I can get the R back on the streets.

Tomorrow I'm going back under the car. Out of curiosity, I have a dial guage so I can check the runnout of the shaft.

My plan is to drop the shaft tomorrow and have it repaired on Monday!

Has anyone seen a thread on how to RE & RE a propeller shaft.
      Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated.
      Last edited by RRRon; 08-06-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Terminology - Driveshaft is actually propeller shaft.
      2007 V70R GT, Black Sapphire, Nordkap, Nav, Sub Woofer & Bluetooth, Track Spec Sways, EBD & Resonator Delete, Four-C-Mod, Machined Pegs

The purpose you stated has been mentioned before here on SS, but some still think its for driveline safety

I hope you get things squared away without breaking the bank.

As someone who has not yet experienced this but is a bit concerned about what you guys are describing, what exactly is the problem? From what i gather, there's an unnecessary bracket which is connected to the driveshaft and if it snags the ground or something, it bends the driveshaft causing scary problems? How can i avoid having this happen on mine?

Quote Originally Posted by ajbell11 View Post
      As someone who has not yet experienced this but is a bit concerned about what you guys are describing, what exactly is the problem? From what i gather, there's an unnecessary bracket which is connected to the driveshaft and if it snags the ground or something, it bends the driveshaft causing scary problems? How can i avoid having this happen on mine?

REmove it now!!! immediately, poste haste, stat, pronto

Quote Originally Posted by ajbell11 View Post
      remove it, 4 bolts & 10 min later your problem is gone
      Gone

Enless i work on your car at the dealer. i have a pile of them from cust cars that dont even know about it.
      there there is the techs that DGAFF and ask me to come look at a R with them i do i tell them whats up. and i see this bracket i say just take that off for me please. and they give out soo much stink about it with all that energy wasted pissin around he could have that bracket off and 2 big washers up there to hold in place
      No more R got a 1995 240sx converted to a Silvia in replacement... Can't say I miss the Volvo
      P.s no more am i Volvo tech... I now am a shop Forman at a high performance shop.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
      Yeah right, he's all happy you called...then a yellow birdie flys by and oh here's a cupcake, btw what were we talking about...

remove it, 4 bolts & 10 min later your problem is gone
      Actually just 2 10mm bolts - replace the bolts though and preferably with some large diameter washers. Just keeps your heat shield in place.
      15 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack, Granite Crystal, 6.4L 8A.
      15 Jeep GC Overland V6
      58 Ford F100 302 C4 9"
      00 Indian Chief Silver Cloud

Quote Originally Posted by petew View Post
      you must have run over a curb

these cars are engineered by professionals

what you described could not possibly have happened the way you described it

it's people like you who ruin it for the rest of us.

i bet you have all season tires
      Boom, headshot
      Currently: 2004 S60 R GT Black Saph - Mileage: 69502 as of 7/10/2013
      Sold: 1992 960 with the inline
      Sold: 1994 850

Quote Originally Posted by petew View Post
      you must have run over a curb

these cars are engineered by professionals

what you described could not possibly have happened the way you described it

it's people like you who ruin it for the rest of us.

i bet you have all season tires
      Dude - I'm a new R owner. I had picked up on this topic weeks ago and knew that the concern was an issue with ground clearance. I had a look under the car, saw the bracket which looked maybe 1/2 an inch lower than anything else and thought... Hey, Volvo must have a reason for having it there and if it ever gets bent, I can easily fix it.

I could not imagine that this bracket could push the exhaust high enough to take out the propeller shaft.

I did not jump a curb, the cars are designed by professionals, it did happen the way I said and I am running Pirelli All Seasons because thats what the Volvo dealers arround here put on CPO cars!

The long time members know the history of this topic and I think its important that the new guys go back, search this topic and make their own decission. I just wanted new guys to go back and pay more attention to past threads. Thats why I included a link. All the information is here on SS.

As soon as the R is back on the road, I will put it back in the same spot and take a picture for you showing the clearance. If I took a shot without the car you would say there is now way this happened there.

Dude, Pete is just F'n with you.

Dude, Pete is just F'n with you.
      Hey I know. I figured that when he mentione the all seasons.
      By the way...This was the perfect smiley for thr EBD!
      Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by VolvokidS60R View Post
      Enless i work on your car at the dealer. i have a pile of them from cust cars that dont even know about it.
      there there is the techs that DGAFF and ask me to come look at a R with them i do i tell them whats up. and i see this bracket i say just take that off for me please. and they give out soo much stink about it with all that energy wasted pissin around he could have that bracket off and 2 big washers up there to hold in place
      See, you are a cool tech.

Damn, I'll have to do this ASAP. Especially with the way my gf drives.
      '04 Ovlov Flash Green/Gobi S60R GT (hers)
      '10 Mini Cooper auto (hers)
      '91 BMW M5
      '95 BMW 540iT Euro (JDM)

With the EBD removed, will is pose problem for exhaust drop-outs? I believe the main purpose of that bracket is to prevent loose exhaust for whatever reason from falling?

If it is not meaningful, then worthwhile to take it out.
      LightAngel ~ Volvo S60R 6Speed GTA, XC90 V8 R-Design 6Speed

it is supposed to catch the drive shaft frome falling out and going through the floorboard killing the driver or some ****. I've never heard of anything like that, crazy talk...which is why you should just take it off.
      2006 Passion Red S60R

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      it is supposed to catch the drive shaft frome falling out and going through the floorboard killing the driver or some ****.
      Ummm no this is not its purpose. According to Volvo it was used during the assembly process and is left over part, hence the TNN saying to remove it.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast