Premium Audio Subwoofer option not available on US Spec
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Premium Audio Subwoofer option not available on US Spec

Hello Sweedespeed community. This is my first post. I have searched all forums to try to find my answer with no luck so I thought I would register and see if I could get some help personally.

I just recently ordered a 2011 T6 R-design from military car sales to be picked up next month in Sweden. I have been trying to work with Volvo to get the optional subwoofer with 260 watt amp that is available on the Euro spec XC60. I have sent emails to every one I can think of in the Volvo company. All the responses are basically the same. "Sorry not available on US spec". WTF. It's a freaking subwoofer and amp installed at the factory.

Any ideas on how I can get them to install it??? I even told them I would pay the Euro price for it...

Perhaps you can simply buy the parts and install it yourself? Usually, the wiring is pre-installed for such options as it is cheaper for the manufacturer. Just a thought.

I didn't realize you had already placed your order in an earlier post. Perhaps we'll get together for pictures?

What are you specs...color, options?

I was looking into that. The only problem is I can't find it any where for sale. The local German volvo service garage told me that they couldn't order it either because it is a factory installed item. Not an "accessory". According to them factory installed items can only be ordered against the VIN number and since mine will be a US spec VIN number it will be impossible for them to order it. If I do manage to get one there is the problem of the local garage letting me use the VIDA machine they have there to program the car to accept the woofer. They say they have to order the VIDA programs against VIN numbers as well. I really don't understand why this isn't just an option on the US spec XC60. I am sure there are plenty of Americans that would enjoy an upgraded sound system from the factory.

If you are curious as to what the US spec owners are missing out on just google "XC60" and "Subwoofer". There is also a nice video on you tube of the upgraded system.

4. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWest1 View Post
      I was about to post a similar question in the V70 forum. I want the rear subwoofer for my 2010 V70 and was wondering if there is a way to order it and have it installed. Sounds like the answer it no.
      I knew there were other folks out there that want the extra subwoofer. Now how do we go about getting a Euro spec option (that dosn't even make sense to be only Euro spec) added to our vehicles...

Me too!

I am with you. Been looking a long time. Asked the dealer, they said they would look into it. That was 10 months ago without a call back. Wasn't looking good........ Now too distracted with my C70 and the mods4cars modification but your post reminded me of how much better the bass is in my c70 with the subwoofer than in the XC60 without.

Quote Originally Posted by tkeballard View Post
      Perhaps you can simply buy the parts and install it yourself? Usually, the wiring is pre-installed for such options as it is cheaper for the manufacturer. Just a thought.

I didn't realize you had already placed your order in an earlier post. Perhaps we'll get together for pictures?

What are you specs...color, options?
      Specs are following:
      2011 T6 R-Design
      Black Saphire Metallic
      Offblack Leather/ Beige Inserts
      Climate Package
      Convenience Package
      Multimedia Package
      BLIS
      PCC

Sweet! Twins!

I have been pressuring the Global Sales Representatives for an answer as to why I can't just install the Euro subwoofer in the US spec. I am trying to get to the right department in the Volvo corporation for the correct way to go about this. I am running into a brick wall. I know it's not impossible. I just have to find a way.

Does anyone know if the terminated wiring harness is there under the cargo space?

I hope you get this resolved, but personally I would just be happy to be in Germany and being able to open it up on the autobahn. I am stuck here in Illinois ( Most corrupt state in the US) and am jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by 240_XC90 View Post
      I hope you get this resolved, but personally I would just be happy to be in Germany and being able to open it up on the autobahn. I am stuck here in Illinois ( Most corrupt state in the US) and am jealous.
      It is really nice, but I have been overseas for six years now. I miss American fast food! I would kill for a Fudpucker's cheeseburger!

Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
      I have been pressuring the Global Sales Representatives for an answer as to why I can't just install the Euro subwoofer in the US spec. I am trying to get to the right department in the Volvo corporation for the correct way to go about this. I am running into a brick wall. I know it's not impossible. I just have to find a way.

Does anyone know if the terminated wiring harness is there under the cargo space?
      If it is a physical issue and not just a market one, it may be due to the US cars being built with a lower capacity alternator. I know that the S60 and V70 Volvo's had 120 amp alternators in the US cars vs the 140 Amp ones in Europe.
      iPD tune / Bilstein HD /25mm sways / Heico dual exhaust / OE sport body kit / HID Projectors / VST strut brace / EU power folding mirror kit / iMIV / Volvotech CFE / etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ss60 View Post
      If it is a physical issue and not just a market one, it may be due to the US cars being built with a lower capacity alternator. I know that the S60 and V70 Volvo's had 120 amp alternators in the US cars vs the 140 Amp ones in Europe.
      I don't see how that could be a problem. The power would be coming from the 260 watt amp the subwoofers have integrated with them.

I don't see how that could be a problem. The power would be coming from the 260 watt amp the subwoofers have integrated with them.
      It's because most cars don't have a ton of overhead for extra electrical loads. Adding a large load like a subwoofer, can easily exceed the overhead capacity of the alternator.
      iPD tune / Bilstein HD /25mm sways / Heico dual exhaust / OE sport body kit / HID Projectors / VST strut brace / EU power folding mirror kit / iMIV / Volvotech CFE / etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ss60 View Post
      It's because most cars don't have a ton of overhead for extra electrical loads. Adding a large load like a subwoofer, can easily exceed the overhead capacity of the alternator.
      Most cars can easily add a 500 watt amp without any problems. You just run the power cable to the battery and the input to your stereo and your done. This is only 260 watts. It should not be a problem what so ever. Maybe when your looking at adding a thousand watts then you need to and a large capacitor, but it's only needed when you are listening to your stereo with your engine off.

This car might be different though, but in the past I have never had any problem hooking up a subwoofer.

All the Head Units are the same across the markets, that software is different however allowing different tuning bands. The biggest problem with the subwoofer even if you could get your hands on it would be the wiring harness. The car has to be specifically ordered with subwoofer prep (wiring harness) or the car won't be pre-wired. The software required to enable the function and integrating with the factory HU is the next problem as you've been told software is downloaded in VIDA based on VIN and if your VIN doesn't support the software it won't work anyway. If already been down this road for another issue and the dealer here in Japan even tried to force load the software into the car (US spec) which wouldn't accept it even though the Japanese spec cars use it just fine. If you can't talk them into equiping the car with it aftermarket is your best and easiest option. I don't see this listed as an option on any of the various countries 2011 model line up though or as an accessory.
      2009 V50 T5 AWD GT: Work in progress (1) (2) (3)

[QUOTE=slrising; I don't see this listed as an option on any of the various countries 2011 model line up though or as an accessory.[/QUOTE]

http://www.volvocars.com/de/all-cars...Volvo_XC60.pdf

Here is a 2011 brochure from Germany. On page 8 you can see the subwoofer option. If you scroll up you can see the Premium audio option. The exact same as US spec. Same 12 speakers. Same wattage. No difference between the two except the option to have a subwoofer for Germany.
      Last edited by Mephisto; 09-03-2010 at 05:09 AM.

So the XC60 isn't prewired? I would think they would use the same harness for all specs. Saves them time and money.

Link is broken. If the XC60 is like the other models the subwoofer isn't pre-wired. There is what Volvo calls subwoofer prep'd option that preps the car for a sub but otherwise no harness.

FYI XC60 2010 P/N: 31288195 (This is listed in VIDA as a 130W subwoofer, but nothing stating exclusion to the US, CA market)
      Software: 31282060
      2009 V50 T5 AWD GT: Work in progress (1) (2) (3)

Fixed the link

Quote Originally Posted by slrising View Post
      Link is broken. If the XC60 is like the other models the subwoofer isn't pre-wired. There is what Volvo calls subwoofer prep'd option that preps the car for a sub but otherwise no harness.

FYI XC60 2010 P/N: 31288195 (This is listed in VIDA as a 130W subwoofer, but nothing stating exclusion to the US, CA market)
      Software: 31282060
      I wasn't offered the sub prep option. I guess because the sub isn't offered. Where did you find the info for the part number? Can you provide a link?

Not offered in the USA/CDN because cost would make existing multimedia option (premium sound) too expensive. It is of course technically possible to install the subwoofer. We are working on a solution for VCNA, we would like to at least offer it as an accessory. We are getting pushback from Volvo in Sweden as earlier subwoofer accessories have never sold well.
      His: 2019 XC60 T5 FWD Inscription, Osmium Gray, Blond leather, Polestar optimization. Hers: 2019 XC60 T5 FWD Momentum, Silver, blond leather.
      His Toy: 2017 Mazda Miata, Red with beige leather, 6MT. Her toy: 2013 C70, Caspian Blue with black sovereign hide interior.
      Daughter number one: 2016 XC60 T5 FWD
      Daughter number two: 2018 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum with Polestar, Son-in-Law: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Daughter number three: 2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by cdauerer View Post
      We are getting pushback from Volvo in Sweden as earlier subwoofer accessories have never sold well.
      Earlier subwoofer accessories? For which models?

The one for the V70? How many V70s have sold in the US lately?
      Or the one for the XC90 that does NOT work with the 3rd row? What percentage of XC90s have 3rd rows?

Why do they stubbornly refuse to include a base sub? Lots of Volvo's competition already offers a base subwoofer to begin with. I was really hoping that the new S60 was finally going to include one, but noooo, it'll be the year 2011, and Volvo will still be trying to sell a 40k sedan with 4 channels and no sub.
      06 XC90 V8
      98 V70 T5M

The accessory in question was for P2 wagons. Could only be fitted if car did not have the third row. Same problem with XC90. Hey, one never claimed that logic played a role here...
      His: 2019 XC60 T5 FWD Inscription, Osmium Gray, Blond leather, Polestar optimization. Hers: 2019 XC60 T5 FWD Momentum, Silver, blond leather.
      His Toy: 2017 Mazda Miata, Red with beige leather, 6MT. Her toy: 2013 C70, Caspian Blue with black sovereign hide interior.
      Daughter number two: 2018 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum with Polestar, Son-in-Law: 2013 S60 T5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by cdauerer View Post
      Not offered in the USA/CDN because cost would make existing multimedia option (premium sound) too expensive. It is of course technically possible to install the subwoofer. We are working on a solution for VCNA, we would like to at least offer it as an accessory. We are getting pushback from Volvo in Sweden as earlier subwoofer accessories have never sold well.
      I didn't really think that it should be included with the multimedia. You get enough with that package but it should DEFINITELY be available as an option. I mean come on. Volvo offers a mini fridge in the cargo area, but not a subwoofer.

If you could keep this thread posted about any developments you have with getting the sub from Volvo that would be great. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I fully agree that the sub should be available as a stand alone option and will continue to push my colleagues in the product side of the business. The mini fridge is an accessory, not an option (except for a few early S80 executives).

What I can control is accessories so we will work on this and I will notify the community via this thread of our progress.

I have a photo of my subwoofer but don't have a place to host the photos but I can email them to someone. It's not going to help anyone get one but at least you can see what it looks like.

Regards,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMikeD5 View Post
      I have a photo of my subwoofer but don't have a place to host the photos but I can email them to someone. It's not going to help anyone get one but at least you can see what it looks like.

Regards,

Michael
      Way to rub it in man... Just kidding. I would be interested to see what it looks like close up.

Here is some new info that I received from Volvo today. Sorry if its long, I'm cutting and pasting it from my email. I bolded one of the statements that I thought was completely ridiculous. If its so good then why do the other markets have it as an option? They have the same base system as US spec.

Dear Mr Talbert,

My apologies once again for the long delay in responding. However, I
      have taken the opportunity to investigate your issue more thoroughly,
      both with our market representatives, our technical experts and with our
      Accessories & After Sales marketing people.

The information I have received is that VCNA (Volvo Cars of North
      America) have decided not to offer this option. They say that the
      Premium Sound is so good that you really do not need any subwoofer
      . They
      are not able to allow any "special" orders because all options must have
      a price submitted to US customs and we are not responsible for this from
      here. It is quite possible that the option may be available on US
      specification vehicles in the future, but of course this does not help
      your current situation.

Even if it were possible to retrofit a subwoofer in the US, I am afraid
      that there are no software solutions programmed in the vehicle to allow
      retrofitting.

I am afraid that certain countries choose certain options, sometimes
      based on local legal requirements, sometimes based on local demand.
      Unfortunately we cannot fully explain the background this time.

We are very sorry that we cannot accommodate you with your request, but
      trust that you will understand it is not currently possible to order a
      subwoofer as an option or to have one retrofitted in your vehicle.

I'm sure it would sound better with the sub provided they properly integrated it. Free up the amps from low freq a little bit, properly x-over, etc.

But I went on a nice Sunday drive by myself yesterday - and it does sound damn good. It thumps really low. Was perfectly acceptable with windows down too.

That said - I still might buy one if offered.

They say that the
      Premium Sound is so good that you really do not need any subwoofer

I can attest to that statement as the sound system in my R-Design was very good already with strong enough bass coming out from the door speakers. Setting a sub with the right x-over would probably improve the sound even more. But as is, the bass is already very strong.

+1. I had the Volvo-accessory subwoofer added to the Premium Sound system in my 2007 V50, and it was totally and pathetically ineffectual. The Premium Sound System bass response was quite adequate by itself, and the addition of the subwoofer made no appreciable difference whatsoever in the bass response. This was dramatically evident when the Motorola add-on bluetooth phone muted the main audio system during an incoming call but not the subwoofer, which could barely be heard adding its puny subbass content. The Volvo subwoofer, at least in MY 2007, was a total waste of c. $600.

go aftermarket

Quote Originally Posted by Durry View Post
      go aftermarket
      I was thinking that the factory would sound better since it's integrated into the system through the on board computer.

I would be willing to bet money that if you find the part number and install the subwoofer, your dealer can download the proper software for it. You just have to make friends with someone there. The easiest way would be to call a German or Swedish dealership, get the part number, and the part number of the software download.
      98 V70 AWD - M58 Gearbox | VAST tune | 20T turbo | Green injectors | NA intake & throttle body, EST Intake, Snabb Fresh Air Pipe & Reverse Intercooler Piping | R Manifold, TME Downpipe, TME Exhaust | IPD Swaybars, Volvo Strut Brace, Öhlins Roadholding Suspension | 302mm front rotors, vented R rears, SS Brake lines | E-code C70 jewel headlamps. Engine build thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
      I would be willing to bet money that if you find the part number and install the subwoofer, your dealer can download the proper software for it. You just have to make friends with someone there. The easiest way would be to call a German or Swedish dealership, get the part number, and the part number of the software download.
      Maybe after pickup-you can even have a dealer there install it for you??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast