Premium Audio Subwoofer option not available on US Spec - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      +1. I had the Volvo-accessory subwoofer added to the Premium Sound system in my 2007 V50, and it was totally and pathetically ineffectual. The Premium Sound System bass response was quite adequate by itself, and the addition of the subwoofer made no appreciable difference whatsoever in the bass response. This was dramatically evident when the Motorola add-on bluetooth phone muted the main audio system during an incoming call but not the subwoofer, which could barely be heard adding its puny subbass content. The Volvo subwoofer, at least in MY 2007, was a total waste of c. $600.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

go aftermarket

Quote Originally Posted by Durry View Post
      go aftermarket
      I was thinking that the factory would sound better since it's integrated into the system through the on board computer.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I would be willing to bet money that if you find the part number and install the subwoofer, your dealer can download the proper software for it. You just have to make friends with someone there. The easiest way would be to call a German or Swedish dealership, get the part number, and the part number of the software download.
      98 V70 AWD - M58 Gearbox | VAST tune | 20T turbo | Green injectors | NA intake & throttle body, EST Intake, Snabb Fresh Air Pipe & Reverse Intercooler Piping | R Manifold, TME Downpipe, TME Exhaust | IPD Swaybars, Volvo Strut Brace, Öhlins Roadholding Suspension | 302mm front rotors, vented R rears, SS Brake lines | E-code C70 jewel headlamps. Engine build thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
      I would be willing to bet money that if you find the part number and install the subwoofer, your dealer can download the proper software for it. You just have to make friends with someone there. The easiest way would be to call a German or Swedish dealership, get the part number, and the part number of the software download.
      Maybe after pickup-you can even have a dealer there install it for you??

Note to anyone wanting a subwoofer, PLEASE cover you keyboard with plastic before looking in the gallery! I will not be held responsible for damaged keyboards from drooling.

Regards,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
      Every dealer that I have spoke to says that they can't order it. They say it has to be done at the factory... I have only spoke to German dealers though.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMikeD5 View Post
      Note to anyone wanting a subwoofer, PLEASE cover you keyboard with plastic before looking in the gallery! I will not be held responsible for damaged keyboards from drooling.

Regards,

Michael
      Nice picture. It fits in there very well. How is it connected?

Not seeing the picture.

Can you re-post picture or explain the subwoofer options. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
      Nice picture. It fits in there very well. How is it connected?

The picture is under the XC60 owner's gallery sticky thread. The subwoofer options are: If you live outside the USA you get to have a subwoofer factory installed and tuned to your XC60. If you live in the USA you don't. Simple as that. Sorry if I come across rude, it is just a sensitive subject for me.

We asked our dealer about this when ordering a 2011 XC60 R-Design,

The dealer was able to get the subwoofer however it was quite expensive;

First you had to pay a $1000 dollar 'special order fee' which allowed you to select the option and have to added to the build. You can also select other options when paying this fee which are only available in other regions.

Second you had to pay for the sub, which I heard was around $1500 never got an exact quote.

Did not opt for the sub due to a significant increase in wait time for the vehicle.

Also this is in Canada if that helps. It was also confirmed by two separate dealers.

Are Canadian Volvo specs controlled by Volvo Cars of North America?

Thanks

Appreciate the response. Yeah, I have the factory subwoofer option on my 2001 V70 and it has been an awesome addition. Everyone, hands downs says the system is the best factory system they have ever heard. When my XC60 comes in I will see if the plugs happen to be the same and see if the darn thing will fit,... probably will need some kind off computer changes...

The picture is under the XC60 owner's gallery sticky thread. The subwoofer options are: If you live outside the USA you get to have a subwoofer factory installed and tuned to your XC60. If you live in the USA you don't. Simple as that. Sorry if I come across rude, it is just a sensitive subject for me.

OK, now that I found the picture - mine from my V70 is definitely not fitting. Mine fits over the spare and the one in the XC60 picture looks more rectangular and completely in front of the spare. Oh well, I will have to look for an aftermarket solution. Might not fit in the same spot but will pursue this. Volvo does some silly things. Oh, I am still pissed about no fog lights option on the 2011 I just ordered. No fog lights??? What are they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by twbannon View Post
      Appreciate the response. Yeah, I have the factory subwoofer option on my 2001 V70 and it has been an awesome addition. Everyone, hands downs says the system is the best factory system they have ever heard. When my XC60 comes in I will see if the plugs happen to be the same and see if the darn thing will fit,... probably will need some kind off computer changes...
      I am still not even sure if there is a plug available to use if you have US spec.

Things may have changed, but here's my experience. I ordered my '01 XC with the factory subwoofer. That stereo and that subwoofer absolutely rocked! The thing I liked best about that car - after AWD - was the stereo. When the R came out I ordered one, but it didn't come with a subwoofer. I got lucky and found the subwoofer on Craigslist from a lady who was taking it out to install the 3rd row seat. I dug around in the rear compartment and found the wiring harness stuffed up out of the way. I plugged in the subwoofer and it played without any software install. Unfortunately, when I bought the '06 VR, Volvo had decided to pussify the system and changed an incredible (HU803) for the lack luster and VERY disappointing "new" head unit (HU850). Once the warranty runs out, I will have no choice but go aftermarket for good sound again.

I am looking into the after market solution now. I can't believe that no one makes any flush mounted "stealth" subs for Volvo. JL audio has an awesome product they call stealth boxes that custom fit vehicles. Very nice they even match the carpet... I can't anything like this for Volvo anywhere.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?page_id=168

Former Advertiser
      I haven't spent too much time looking at the spare but if there is room in the wheel well you could possible install a spare tire subwoofer.

Pyle offers a 12" and a 15" powered subwoofer (1000 and 1200 watts respectively). $150 - might be worth a shot if you guys are feeling creative.

link to amazon

That looks like a good idea on paper. You would have to lose your spare though. So you need to factor in replacing your all weathers with some run flats. I dont think I would ever drive a vehicle with out a spare tire or run flats at least. I very much like the idea of the spare tire subwoofer. It does not get much more stealthy than that.

I hope that an aftermarket spare tire option would work without losing the spare. For reference, my V70's factory option subwoofer mounts right to and on top of the spare, and its height comes almost flush with the floor of the cargo area. I would hope there is more room in the XC60 above the spare than in a V70 (though I have not received my XC60 yet to look). What you would lose for sure is the pop up grocery bag holder system if you had the conveinence package). Even if there is no connectors for a sub, a shop should be able to us a "line in" from another speaker wire somewhere in the back of the car. At least these are my thoughts. I am going to try to work some option, as I know I will not be satisfied with no sub after using my 01 V70 with a sub for 10 years. It rocked and still does.

That looks like a good idea on paper. You would have to lose your spare though. So you need to factor in replacing your all weathers with some run flats. I dont think I would ever drive a vehicle with out a spare tire or run flats at least. I very much like the idea of the spare tire subwoofer. It does not get much more stealthy than that.

Quick update on subwoofer status. Still waiting for Volvo Sweden to produce a subwoofer accessory kit. In a parellel track, one of our engineers is investigating what it takes to install one in an existing XC60. I spoke with him today, he asked me, "why am I doing this?". It is a HUGE job, he is building a wiring harness and separate optical harness by hand.

The pictures tell the story. Will come back as I learn more.

The subwoofer
      [IMG][/IMG]

Greater cargo area
      [IMG][/IMG]

Rear seat back view
      [IMG][/IMG]

Front amp
      [IMG][/IMG]
      His: 2019 XC60 T5 FWD Inscription, Osmium Gray, Blond leather, Polestar optimization. Hers: 2019 XC60 T5 FWD Momentum, Silver, blond leather.
      His Toy: 2017 Mazda Miata, Red with beige leather, 6MT. Her toy: 2013 C70, Caspian Blue with black sovereign hide interior.
      Daughter number one: 2016 XC60 T5 FWD
      Daughter number two: 2018 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum with Polestar, Son-in-Law: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Daughter number three: 2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription

I pick up my red XC60 R design tomorrow AM and will start exploring the Subwoofer subject again (got to get back there and take measurements of the area). Talking about the "Huge" job on the previous post - this must be in regards to making the Volvo OEM one work in a US. spec car? If a solution does not develop that allows for the Volvo one to be added, my plan, unless someone tells me why it might be a bad idea, is to find an aftermarket slim design powered woofer that will fit in that same place. Then you should be able to simply tap a speaker wire to use a "line in" to the subwoofer (and of course find the nearest power source). Still thinking,…

I did have the part number for it and will see if I can find it when I get home. I looked at buying genuine accessories and fitting them myself as some things worked out cheaper to do it that way. My subwoofer was $1,350 factory installed but was going to cost about $2,000 to buy after then fit it. I was thinking of stealing one from a car in Australia and bringing it to the US in my hand luggage but it was too heavy! I've seen 2 XC60's and 2 S60R's already but only the R's up close.

Regards,

Michael

How is the project coming along??? Looks very difficult. If I was to somehow purchase the sub from the Euro market this is what I would have to do? So much for plug and play.

The unfriendly to work with audio systems started with the XC90's MOST system and with the departure of the P2 S/V70s we are left with these difficult to modify optical systems. Enthusiasts looking to add subs or modify the audio system are left to hunt for very expensive solutions.

Audio enhancements are difficult to sell as accessories because the typical Volvo buyer either doesn't want/need an amplifier or subwoofer or are unwilling to pay the $500 or more for the OEM solution. The OEM solutions are expensive and low volume sellers which creates an opportunity for the aftermarket vendors like Sensolutions to consider cable adapters that would allow seamless integration. The software download for the head unit to recognize the additional components is the other challenge, if this is not something that could be by-passed. If Volvo become more enthusiast friendly, perhaps they will offer cables and software for subs at a reasonable price.

Chris - keep us updated on the project.

So I have started looking into a few different options, and as I have an Alpine 12" Type R sitting waiting to be installed (with amp/wiring kit) I have done some searching around.

Few Notes:
      1) There is what seems to be a 12V/ground plug that was covered on the right side of the cargo area near the right-most seat. It was covered with foam and taped off, but I have taken it off to see what it was. It is constant 12V and approximately 8ga, I have no idea what it is for, but for a lower powered sub, this could be just fine (500W=12V*42A) which by this chart:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ity-table.html

Would mean (assuming it is routed less than 12 feet, which is a safe assumption because it is coming from the rear breaker box) that the stock wiring could be used safely up to about 500W. The stock breaker for the sub is 30A, so by adding in my capacitor it should flatten the amperage pull and keep it well under 30A. Grounding either to the chassis or using the existing wiring would be sufficient.

2) In the wiring diagram page 101/102:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/dow...ng_diagram.pdf

There are 2 wires which come from the head unit and are specifically for the subwoofer. I have not pulled the head unit to check if they are present/installed, but I am guessing not due to reason #3 (below). I COULD potentially splice one of the rear door woofers (even both if I wanted R/L signals) if these wires are not installed or require VIDA/non-US VIN to get them working.

3) The factory subwoofer 12V power wiring is not present, it is jumped from 11D/D5 to 11D/D3, but there is nothing coming out of the 11D/D3. I could potentially add the correct gauge wiring from this and just route it myself to the amp.

This is what I know for right now, I will be pulling the head unit and checking for the wires C2:1 and C2:2. Will update when I have more.

Any addition information anyone has, please PM me, I will receive notifications on my phone. If you know what the 12V/ground terminal in the cargo right behind the passenger rear seat is, know if the C2:1 and C2:2 wires are installed/where terminated, etc.

Thanks,

Kevin
      Last edited by 10PassionRed; 01-20-2013 at 03:24 PM.

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2