Tracking Car to USA - Page 12
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
      Today's the day Undine shipmates! About 2 hours to go till she hits PH! Then the real untrackable waiting begins...
      2019 T-6 AWD Polestar, Denim Blue/Maroon Brown (OSD Sept 2018)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There's so much variability in the post FDC drop-off process and I think there's a good opportunity for Volvo to improve that part of the experience. For example:

FDC ESTIMATE: Paperwork indicated delivery to the dealer on Oct 31st. My XC40 will actually arrive at Port Hueneme, CA Nov 15th. (Yay Undine!) That puts my delivery 15 days past the FDC estimate... and it still has to go through customs and transport to the dealership.

Still have fingers-crossed for a quick customs turnaround :-)
      2019 XC40 Inscription Polestar Denim Blue & Blonde Leather (via OSD Sep 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by XC40 View Post
      Markdotnet,

Hold out hope for sure. Both of our cars were offloaded in Baltimore four days ago. I figured Customs would take forever, but good news. Just received an e-mail IFF Inc. saying my car has already cleared US Customs. That is a very pleasant surprise. My original date of delivery to dealer was 11/21. If I can get on a truck shortly that is still achievable, but if not, it should still make it to Cincinnati well before the end of the month. Hope you and others got the same news today. I dropped it off 10/2 in G-burg (where they added a trailer hitch before shipping on 10/19), so at this point I am 6 weeks and a day into it and close to the end.
      Yep. I got my paperwork from IFF yesterday. I tried to hold out until Monday to contact Volvo for an update but I'm too weak. I emailed and got a prompt reply from (the always excellent) Barbara.

Your vehicle was picked up from the port on 11/14 at 22:00 hours and is currently in route to your dealership. I suggest that you contact your retailer and let him know the car is on the way and to contact you when it arrives and you can take delivery.
      So I am truly in the blackhole of information now. I emailed the dealership to put them on notice and am looking forward to a reply.

My OSD journey really began last April when I cancelled my Tesla Model 3 order. I can't believe I'm almost at the end of this story.
      Last edited by Markdotnet; 11-16-2018 at 10:23 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

My car has arrived! They said it was delivered on the morning of November 17th. It's sitting at the dealership waiting for them to complete their processes. The guy said I might be able to get it as soon as Monday afternoon! It occurs to me that I actually have the keys for it. Hmm..... LOL. I'm going to be a basketcase until this thing shows up!

Not quite sure how the plate got bent nor where my tow hook plug is... by Mark Neustadt, on Flickr

Congrats, Markdotnet! I've been following your process to get a sense of how my timeframe may shake out. My XC40 is on the Tamesis on its way from Southampton to Baltimore, due in port on either 11/24 or 11/25. It seems your process from Baltimore to Wisconsin went pretty smoothly and quickly? My car is coming to Minnesota so not much further. Anyway, glad yours made it home! Happy early Thanksgiving!
      Last edited by MeredithInMN; 11-18-2018 at 09:03 AM.

FWIW, my front red plate was also slightly bent. Not a big deal.

And the tow hook plug was in the glove compartment.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

Close but no cigar yet

This is great to see. Congrats Mark, and hope you can get your hands on it tonight.

It seems the timing for trucking and delivering cars varies a lot. Our cars came in together, got through Customs at the same time, but I am guessing they had a shipment ready to head for your area so they loaded it up and off it went. I am only 450 miles from Baltimore, have pestered my dealer lightly to let him know I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my XC40, but haven't heard a word. I suppose it could already be at the dealer but they don't want to call until it's prepped--or, it may sit in Baltimore for several more days. Not much you can do but wait it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Markdotnet View Post
      My car has arrived! They said it was delivered on the morning of November 17th. It's sitting at the dealership waiting for them to complete their processes. The guy said I might be able to get it as soon as Monday afternoon! It occurs to me that I actually have the keys for it. Hmm..... LOL. I'm going to be a basketcase until this thing shows up!

Not quite sure how the plate got bent nor where my tow hook plug is... by Mark Neustadt, on Flickr

Any of my Undine shipmates hear from IFF on customs clearance yet? So close yet so far...

My VIN showed as released from customs within like 48 hours, I am going under the assumption that it's currently en route to me in Colorado. The dealer has no info, says I'll know before them other than it arriving on a truck at the dealership...
      2019 XC90 T8 Inscription (OSD)

Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
      My VIN showed as released from customs within like 48 hours, I am going under the assumption that it's currently en route to me in Colorado. The dealer has no info, says I'll know before them other than it arriving on a truck at the dealership...
      I initially thought the Customs Release on ship tracking site meant what it sounds like but as others have clarified in the thread above it looks like that just means that the liner has released the car to customs to do their thing, not that it has actually been through customs. I think the next step if I am following our East Coast brethren stories correctly is that we should get an email from the IFF that our cars have cleared customs and are moving into Volvo's hands for transit. I was just wondering if anyone else had gotten that notice yet?

For me, the process of getting your car from the FDC into your hands at your dealer continues and it seems endless at times. I dropped off my XC40 on 10/2. Hans gave me a delivery target at my dealer of 11/21. Everything went as predicted until the past week or so. Volvo tells me my car was loaded on a truck on 11/14 for delivery to my dealer 500 miles from Baltimore. Eleven days have gone by and no delivery has occurred, and that has me concerned. In one case a car loaded on a truck for a destination 1000 miles from Baltimore made it in about 2.5 days. Did my car really get loaded on 11/14? Was it damaged somewhere along the way and are they repairing it (without telling me what's going on)? Did the driver drop it off at the wrong dealer? Or are they waiting to get a full trailer load going to my part of the country, leaving my car sitting until then? Stopped by my dealer yesterday and they don't have any information. Sorry, just venting I guess. As they say, waiting is the hardest part. I will call Volvo again to see if they can figure out what's going on.
      2019 XC40 Momentum T5/1990 740GL/1989 740GL/1986 740GLE 5-speed/1986 240 DL Wagon

I don't know if that's a safe assumption based on my experience--Volvo says the car cleared customs and was loaded on a truck on 11/14, but 11 days later, it hasn't made to 500 miles to my dealer from the Port of Baltimore. You could get it in Colorado three-four days after clearing customs, or you could find yourself in the same sort of black hole situation I am in. Hopefully the former!

Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
      2019 XC40 Momentum T5/1990 740GL/1989 740GL/1986 740GLE 5-speed/1986 240 DL Wagon

It appears that my XC-40 has been released to customs in Baltimore - hopefully it will be a quick customs clearance and the weather will hold to arrive before Christmas!!

Lisa, I was a day ahead of you and Meredith at Baltimore and mine was released from Customs to the trucking company today, so 1 day with Customs. It was quick.
      2019 XC90 Inscription Crystal White/Blond, Pole*, B&W, Air Suspension (OSD)

Ahoy Undine shipmates, JUST got my customs clearance from IFF, so hopefully you won't be far behind! Now wondering how long the NEXT step will take. The dealer says he has no visibility to the transport process and often doesn't hear anything from the transport company until the day before or even THE day the car arrives. So its all wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb View Post
      Ahoy Undine shipmates, JUST got my customs clearance from IFF, so hopefully you won't be far behind! Now wondering how long the NEXT step will take. The dealer says he has no visibility to the transport process and often doesn't hear anything from the transport company until the day before or even THE day the car arrives. So its all wait and see.
      Wow... super exciting... congrats! (Can't type more 'cause I'm too busy hitting refresh on my email).

Just got the email that my car has already cleared customs also!! That was fast! Hoping now for good weather between Baltimore and Minneapolis!

Lisa, I think our cars have been ship mates all the way from Gothenburg and now (will hopefully) be truck mates to Minneapolis! It makes me feel a little wistful that they've been together all of this time and will now be separated once they arrive here. I know they're only cars but still...... Can I ask, did you use either Borton or Kline?

And TOUCH DOWN! Just got the call from the dealer that LARS has arrived safe and sound! According to email from Barbara this morning the car was picked up from the port yesterday so it was only a one day transit up to the Bay Area--not bad at all. So here was my timeline for reference:

10-05-2018 - Dropped at FDC
      10-18-2018 - loaded at GOTHENBURG
      10-20-2018 - loaded at ZEEBRUGGE
      11-15-2018 - Arrived at PORT HUENEME, CA
      11-19-2018 - Customs-Liner Release
      11-27-2018 - IFF Notice Customs Clearance Email
      11-27-2018 - Picked up at Port by Volvo
      11-28-2018 - Arrived Walnut Creek dealer (SF bay area)

I was originally given a 12/11 ETA so very happy with the early arrival. They wanted a few days to do software updates, etc. So I will pick it up next Monday. Hope my other Undine shipmates get similar good news soon!

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by MeredithInMN View Post
      Lisa, I think our cars have been ship mates all the way from Gothenburg and now (will hopefully) be truck mates to Minneapolis! It makes me feel a little wistful that they've been together all of this time and will now be separated once they arrive here. I know they're only cars but still...... Can I ask, did you use either Borton or Kline?
      MeridethInMn - I used Borton. You?

Good morning, Lisa. Borton is my dealer as well. I live in Eagan and Borton is a little closer than Kline.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb View Post
      And TOUCH DOWN! Just got the call from the dealer that LARS has arrived safe and sound! According to email from Barbara this morning the car was picked up from the port yesterday so it was only a one day transit up to the Bay Area--not bad at all.
      Congrats scooterb! #jealous

My XC40 was on the Undine too. Sadly, no email from IFF, no email from Barbara and no response from my dealer. (And I'm only 2 hours from the port). So... time for some follow-up calls/emails.

My XC-40 has arrived!! Sadly, I can't pick it up until the 14th due to a business trip, but I'll have it before Christmas!!

Thinking of you, LisaKnitter as your delivery day approaches. Have a great time at Borton and enjoy your new car!

MeridethInMn, did you pick yours up already??

I did, LisaKnitter! I picked it up last Wednesday night and have been enjoying it for a whole week now!

I did, LisaKnitter! I picked it up last Wednesday night and have been enjoying it for a whole week now!
      And no pictures?!
      2019 XC40 Momentum T5 + Polestar

Markdotnet, I wanted to post both current pics and pics from Sweden but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it! On a happier note, I am now having success with the kick-open tailgate!

LisaKnitter, Borton was good about keeping the "S" sticker in place and giving me the red plates and the FDC license plate frame. I'm wondering, how is it that some people are able to keep the red plates on their cars? I live in Minnesota part time, my car is registered in Wisconsin because I live there part time as well. I called both DMVs and both said I could not keep the red plates on the car while I wait for the permanent plates. Dealer also told me I could not.
      Last edited by MeredithInMN; 12-13-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Markdotnet, I wanted to post both current pics and pics from Sweden but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it!
      You need to use an external website to host the picture, then post the URL to the picture here. Make sure that it is the URL to the picture and not to the page where you uploaded the picture - basically, the URL should end in something like ".jpeg", ".jpg", etc. Personally, I had good luck with imgur.com but there are many other sites that will work.

I'm wondering, how is it that some people are able to keep the red plates on their cars? I live in Minnesota part time, my car is registered in Wisconsin because I live there part time as well. I called both DMVs and both said I could not keep the red plates on the car while I wait for the permanent plates. Dealer also told me I could not.
      Of course they will say no, typical case of CYA.

The car *is* already registered -- just not in the US. Since the Swedish registration is still valid, you should be able to circulate without any trouble as if you were a visitor from a foreign country. As far as I know, when a car comes from Canada, they don't ask the driver to remove its license plate at the border, now do they?

For the record, I am not a lawyer and I am not suggesting you break any laws.
      2018 XC90 T8 AWD Momentum Plus, Denim Blue, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD (OSD) Platinum Green, Premium, Convenience, Climate, Bi-Xenon, etc
      Previous:
      2016 XC90 T6 AWD (OSD) Momentum Plus, Magic Blue, vision, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2004 XC90 T6 AWD (gone but not forgotten)

... I wanted to post both current pics and pics from Sweden but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it!
      If the Tap-a-Talk (Android/Mac) app is used then pics directly from one's smartphone (Google, etc) can be posted.
      Last edited by likeXC90; 12-13-2018 at 07:04 PM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      If the Tap-a-Talk (Android/Mac) app is used then pics directly from one's smartphone (Google, etc) can be posted.
      I second Tap-a-Talk, especially if you don't want to establish a URL. I installed TapaTalk while on my OSD and it is sooo easy to use. Mostly since you can just add pictures directly from your smartphone (which is where I think the majority of people take pictures thru) while on the fly (or drive if you prefer). PS Also comes in iPhone variety.

See Sweden by Volvo

As far as the red plates go...it depends on the state. In Washington you have 30 days to put Washington plates on your car if you are a legal resident of this state. Only specific exception is for Alaska residents, some of whom spend a lot of time down here for their businesses, some of them just have a car stored down here for their visits. I got pulled over by a State Trooper a couple of months after we moved here, and got a warning. He’d observed me frequently, and gave me a week to license my car.

My OSD redplate is proudly displayed under the Washington plate.

YMMV!

So my car made it to the dealer today. But they said they most likely won’t let m have the car until Monday. Would it be bad of me to go there tomorrow to get them to do all the software upgrades and whatever else the need to do and give it to me then? We wanted to take the car out of town to see hub’s family for Christmas.

Hi, can someone please help me track my car? I would greatly appreciate it! I tried using the link that is listed in this thread and replacing the end of it w/ my VIN, but nothing is coming up. I'm nervous that my XC90 didn't make it on a ship. My drop-off date at the FDC was December 5. My VIN is YV4102PK9K1443670
      My paper work does not have a ship/vessel or anything, it just says TBD. The estimated delivery date at the dealer is 01/23.

Thank you very much for any help

Quote Originally Posted by sara627 View Post
      Hi, can someone please help me track my car? I would greatly appreciate it! I tried using the link that is listed in this thread and replacing the end of it w/ my VIN, but nothing is coming up. I'm nervous that my XC90 didn't make it on a ship. My drop-off date at the FDC was December 5. My VIN is YV4102PK9K1443670
      My paper work does not have a ship/vessel or anything, it just says TBD. The estimated delivery date at the dealer is 01/23.

Thank you very much for any help
      Try looking it up by your booking# on the website. Someone posted that they will group a bunch of cars together and not enter all of the vin's for the group. If you search through this thread you will find more info. Good luck

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast