IPD Downpipe Install
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

IPD Downpipe Install

I installed the IPD Downpipe in my 2004 V70R today. The job, while time consuming, actually went more smoothly than I expected. All of the turbo nuts as well as the exhaust flange nuts came off like the car was built yesterday. I guess that would be a tribute to PB Blaster and car friendly southern weather. I gave the nuts a dose of PB Blaster a couple weeks ago and then again when I started the job.

The rear O2 sensor was a bit stubborn and I ended up disconnecting it and removing it once the downpipe was out of the car. At that point I had it out in 5 minutes with some more PB Blaster and tapping the O2 sensor tool handle with a hammer a bit.

What took the time was stupid stuff. It took me a while to figure out how to disconnect that rear O2 sensor. I finally realized that I could use the O2 sensor extension cable that IPD provided as an example to figure out how the latch worked. Even so it was a bit stubborn to release and needed some convincing with the tip of a flat screwdriver. It's in a really bad spot too. I ended up removing the driver's side front wheel to gain better access from the side.

The other time waster was the rubber hangers that support the down pipe. I didn't have a puller and had to struggle forever with screwdrivers to get the the hanger off the old downpipe and later onto the new one.

Other than that the install was straightforward. The new downpipe is quite a bit bigger and clearances in some spots are very tight at 1/8" or so. But so far I don't hear any rattles or vibrations.

The quality of the IPD downpipe is excellent. Everything fit and it even had the arm that supports the O2 sensor cable clamp. It would have been nice if IPD made some attempt at some install documentation. Nothing was provided at all and it would have been a nice touch and probably saved a boat load of time.

With the new downpipe I don't notice any obtrusive exhaust sounds. The exhaust level is perfectly fine. It might be a bit louder when you get on it. I do hear the turbo spooling up quite a bit more. It sounds like ""WoShhhhhhhhhhh". It has me wondering if there is a leak somewhere, although the sound is more like air rushing than any type of exhaust leak I've ever heard.

As far as performance goes, the car seems to develop power much more quickly. It also seems to develop power with less throttle input. I like it so far. Too soon to say anything about fuel economy.

Regards,
      Ted

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice write up.
      Just wondering if the cat back is stock or aftermarket?
      With or without the resonator?
      Tune?
      Just wondering because the DP and a tune is something I would like to do eventually.
      2007 V70R GT, Black Sapphire, Nordkap, Nav, Sub Woofer & Bluetooth, Track Spec Sways, EBD & Resonator Delete, Four-C-Mod, Machined Pegs

Exhaust is stock, but has the resonator removed (JRL mod)

Tune is the IPD Stage 1 tune. Holding off on Stage 2 unless I experience the drivability issue it was created to address (slight surge/ hesitation issue). On my initial test drive I did not experience anything like this. In fact boost control seemed much better. Car is a MT btw.

The sound I mentioned early is most likely normal. Others have mentioned it - in the IPD product feedback for example.

FYI, 2004 was the last year that the turbo studs + nuts were used to attach the downpipe to the turbo. Everything later used the bolts, which I understand can be more of headache. On my car I didn't find the job the be any worse than other grunge exhaust work I have done.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

One other note: It seemed like it took the computer a few miles to adjust to the downpipe. After that the power delivery improvements became much more noticeable.

Ted

Thanks Ted!
      2007 V70R GT, Black Sapphire, Nordkap, Nav, Sub Woofer & Bluetooth, Track Spec Sways, EBD & Resonator Delete, Four-C-Mod, Machined Pegs

You did mot mention if you have a GT to M - AFAIK stage 2 is not required to GT's and is only needed for M's if you see boost spikes.
      Gone

Quote Originally Posted by jstro View Post
      You did mot mention if you have a GT to M - AFAIK stage 2 is not required to GT's and is only needed for M's if you see boost spikes.
      Manual transmission (mentioned in one of the earlier replies). Regarding the stage 2, what you said is my understanding as well.

Tune/DP does wonders for the R. Props on doing the install yourself too.
      '05 Ti-Kap GT SR; Lost 8/21/17

Quote Originally Posted by BlazinBob View Post
      Tune/DP does wonders for the R. Props on doing the install yourself too.

Thanks. So far really liking it. Big improvement. It is still pushing 90 degrees here, but the car was responding as though it was much cooler. Nice. Of course I say it is a big improvement, but when my wife drove the car she noticed nothing. I asked her, "Did you notice anything difference?" She said, "NOPE!" You could have guessed this. I suppose it is a good thing. However, this is usually followed by some sort of speeding ticket.

I particularly like that the IPD downpipe shows improvement in normal day to day driving. You don't have to be flat out on a track to benefit.

-Ted

I am getting a DP next year.
      nice summary.
      04 V70 2.5T AWD - AUTOTECH | SNABB | OBX | MAGNAFLOW | SNABB | BILSTEIN | EIBACH

Ted,

Why did you choose IPD version over Elevate, Viva or EST, out of curiosity.
      2006 V70R Silver auto tranny with Nordkap interior and 18inch Pegs.

Quote Originally Posted by mtechnic6 View Post
      Ted,

Why did you choose IPD version over Elevate, Viva or EST, out of curiosity.
      I've been an IPD customer for almost 25 years. Their products are always top notch and they have my back should I run into difficulties.

-Ted

Quote Originally Posted by petew View Post
      you will get a "Czech Engine" light any day now.

the only proven fix for this :

black vinyl tape.

Really?
      Cause I could of sworn that the O2 spacer attached to my iPd DP has kept me CEL free for over a year now....

I must be mistaking....
      Last edited by mad matt; 10-26-2010 at 12:54 AM.
      2005 S60R Ti Grey/Gobi/6M/18"Black Pegs
      1997 854R Black/Charcoal/Really Dark Bronze Volans/5M/ARD M4.4 BLUE/Daily Driver
      2005 S40 T5 FWD="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2938966" SOLD/MISSED

No CEL's on my TME DP, hopefully will remain that way.
      '05 Ti-Kap GT SR; Lost 8/21/17

none

not one

have come before us to show a dashboard without the dreaded "Czech Engine!"
      I agree with mad matt... I've had my IPD downpipe in for months and haven't had a single instance of a CEL. Why is petew such a "negative nancy" on our forum?
      2004 S60R Black Sapphire Metallic / Nordkap Seats and the 6 speed ---> IPD CAI w/ K&N Filter, IPD R-Kelly Intake, IPD R-Boost Gauge (V2), IPD Lower Trans Mount, IPD Upper Engine Mount, IPD Poly Sway Bar Bushings, IPD Downpipe, IPD Stage 2 Tune, GSX Intercooler & Piping, IPD HD TCV, IPD Silver Door Pins/Bezels, 7.5 psi wastegate, Updated Clutch/Slave, Mobil 0W-30, Redline MT90, TWM Shortshifter, TWM shift knob, TWM base bushings.

the only proven fix for this :

black vinyl tape.

there is no known aftermarket catalytic converter that equals the Volvo factory catalytic converter with regards to keeping the "Czech Engine" light off.

if you remove the Volvo factory cat, you will be "Czech Engined"

no exceptions

many have claimed that they are "catless" ...

none

not one

have come before us to show a dashboard without the dreaded "Czech Engine!"
      ???????? My car has has the Evolve DP on it for years and no CEL ever (expect the one time I forgot to plug my maf back in)
      Gone

+1 to the IPD DP and never a CEL. I've had mine in for 2 years now.
      '07 S60R 6MT, Sonic Blue/Gobi Sand: IPD CAI, IPD downpipe, IPD Stage II, Evolve 3" exhaust, IPD track spec sway bars, Snabb turbo intake pipe, Viva CBV upgrade, Snow Stage 3 water/meth injection

[/QUOTE]The quality of the IPD downpipe is excellent. Everything fit and it even had the arm that supports the O2 sensor cable clamp.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see the little things didn't go un noticed. Did the heat shield bolt up nicely too?

Use spray soap like Simple Green on the rubber parts to get them on and off easily next time.

Quote Originally Posted by 300+_T5R_855 View Post

Glad to see the little things didn't go un noticed. Did the heat shield bolt up nicely too?

Use spray soap like Simple Green on the rubber parts to get them on and off easily next time.

I didn't happen to notice the heat shield bolts. My car was missing one.

Yeah... I did try spraying the rubber hangers...that helped a lot. It was still a pain though.

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements