2011 XC60 T6 AWD vs. 2011 XC90 3.2 AWD--car seat question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2011 XC60 T6 AWD vs. 2011 XC90 3.2 AWD--car seat question

I have read the post regarding the 2010 models of both of these cars, but have some questions regarding children's car seats that weren't covered here:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-2010-XC90-3.2

We are in the final stages of choosing our first Volvo, and are having some trouble deciding between the XC60 T6 AWD and the XC90 3.2 AWD. We are looking at purchasing through the military sales program, so we can get them for virtually the same price.

These are the options we would be going with:

XC60 T6 AWD: Climate, Convenience, Multimedia Packages, PCC, Xe ABL, BLIS, Wood inlays, exterior appearance package, either Flamenco Red or Black Sapphire, or Electric Silver
      or
      XC90 3.2 AWD: Climate, Multimedia Packages, Xe ABL, BLIS, Wood steering wheel, front bumper bar, trailer hitch, either Flamenco Red, Ember Black or Electric Silver

Our dilemma is that we currently have a mid-size sedan and a 2-row Tahoe, and have our first child set to make an appearance in December. We will be getting rid of the sedan and my wife will drive the new car. Whatever car we buy, we will have through at least one more child and a possible third. Is it worth it to go for the XC90 in order to have the third row? Does anyone have multiple children with car seats in the back of their XC60? How is the space? As far as cargo space goes, we have the Tahoe, and if we really need it, an 8x5 cargo trailer, so my real concern is passenger space. We don't currently need the extra seating of the 90 unless more than 2 people are visiting, but purchasing the 90 would free up options when it comes to replacing the Tahoe in a few years as we wouldn't need a third row vehicle.

I much prefer the styling of the XC60 to the XC90, so maybe that is what is making the decision harder than it needs to be, but just thought it would be good to get some input from others. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have two car seats in an XC60.

I am 6'5" tall. My 4-year old is forward facing behind driver's seat in a Britax Frontier. My 11 month old is rear facing in a Britax Boulevard. Prior to that we had her rear facing in a carrier - Britax Companion.

I can even ride for city trips in the passenger seat.

There's enough room side-to-side to have the center console down. My daughter uses the cup holder in it instead of her seat in fact.

There are a few pictures where you can see the seats installed if you look in the gallery. Mine is the Sapphire Black R-Design.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription, Osmium Grey, Convenience, Vision, B&W, Air Susp, 22s
      2010 Volvo XC60 R-Design, Sapphire Black, Climate, Convenience, Multimedia
      2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, White Diamond Pearl (Sold)
      2004 Acura TSX, Satin Silver, 6MT, Nav (Sold)
      2006 Audi A3, Silver, Climate, Premium Pkg, Convenience, Nav, Bose, Open Sky (Sold)

That's good to hear you fit with the car seat behind you. I'm 6'3" and was worried about hitting the car seat if my seat was all the way back. I am going his weekend to check out both of them and I'm going to bring the carseat too and see how it fits. With the price the same, just a hair over 40k for each of them, I want to make sure I'm not giving up more car by not getting the XC90. Can you fit two adults in the back seat with one car seat installed? Does anyone with a xc60 wish they had the xc90 instead? Thanks for any input.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I would liked to have had the 90 over the 60 if only Volvo would re-design the 90. It looks the same as five years ago...

Simliar to the last reply. I agree, and would not buy the very dated and old looking XC90. If I wanted a 90 I could have saved a ton and bought a used one. I got the militray price as well and prefer the styling on the XC60 (besides can't really find a used 60, and if you do it costs more than the new 60 mil price). With all the options you are adding, I am surpised you don't just get the R Design. You will have more options, probably more resale/desirablity down the road. Just thinking. I wanted xenon lights and it cost so much to add that, my loaded T6, cost more than a loaded T-6 R-Design.

Ya know my wife and I shopped last year and took our seat with us and all that. We ended up not buying.

When we shopped again this year we did the same thing, but my oldest had changed seats. We tried the new seat in the same car as last year and were amazed at the difference.

We almost ruled out a car we liked because of a $200 car seat last year!

My point is yes you need to do that but don't rule it out. You can try other stuff. A dealer let us take the XC60 overnight and it went a long way to making the decision for us. I got to put 3 seats in in different locations.

Yes I think you could get 2 adults and 1 seat in. I wouldn't go far but you could do it.

I didn't go for the 90 because of the design's age. The XC60 being state of the Volvo art (pre s60) was a plus.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription, Osmium Grey, Convenience, Vision, B&W, Air Susp, 22s
      2006 Audi A3, Silver, Climate, Premium Pkg, Convenience, Nav, Bose, Open Sky (Sold)

we have both a 90 and a new 60 now. three kids (5, 3, and 7 months). three fit in 90 just fine. have not tried three in 60 yet. we like the extra space int he 90 for vacation, camping etc. also use the third row more than one would imagine - parents, three kids, and the grandaprents all fit fine. even can fit my monther's wheel chair in the way back... i am quite sure the three kids/car seats would fit in the second row of the 60 as well. we really like the built in boosters of the 60. But you are over 4 years away from using a booster. also want to point out that you can get "narrow" car seats as well. thsi is what we did. actually found "Sunshine kids" to be just about the narrowest in car seats. Check them out, you may like them.

My 2 cents: get the 90 if added space for vacation etc. is important and would use the third row. otherwise, the 60 is fine. i have had mine (the 60) for only a couple of weeks and am truly impressed. yes, the 90 is dated and lacks some of the technology wiz bangs, but give you the space. i know we would be hard pressed without the 90.
      Hers - 2005 XC-90 2.5T, Climate, Versatility, Bi-Xe
      His - 2011 XC-60 T6, Climate, Convinience, PCC, ABL

Thanks for all the great input. I look forward to seeing tomorrow which vehicle works best with the car seat. But I almost feel after reading the responses that a 2011 XC90 is a waste of money. I mean for the same car aesthetically I should get a used model a couple of years old and save some money since there haven't been too many changes. I do agree that the XC90 is getting long in the tooth. I like the styling of the R Design XC60 more than the T6 but I am not a fan of the limited interior leather and center stack options.

For anyone still interested, I decided on the XC60 T6. I tried placing the car seat behind the driver's seat but when I adjusted my seat it ran into the car seat. It did this in both the 60 and 90. I decided that placing the car seat behind the passenger seat will be my best option then. Also, the main reason I looked at the XC90 was for the third row. I squeezed my 6'3" 240lbs body in the third row and I couldn't even slide the second row seat back to lock in place. I know the third row is more for small kids than adults, but I thought maybe some family or friends can squeeze back there if needed. But as I actually got back there I realized only like 3 adults I know would actually fit in the back. So the extra space and third row is a waste for me in the XC90. Plus the thing is sooo dated looking. I test drove it and I saw about 2 or 3 older XC90's on the road and I thought to myself "Why am I even looking at new XC90's?" I could get a used one that wouldn't be any different.

For those of you with the booster seat option for the second row, are they useful or worthwhile?

To me, the XC60 felt more nimble, responsive, and less SUV like. As an owner of a Chevy Tahoe I appreciated the smaller feel and smoother ride the XC60 offered. I also asked about the new Sensus Nav system and the salesman showed me his incoming inventory that lists the new NAV system that is coming for the XC60. I sat in a new S60 and played around with the Sensus and I have to say I was a little underwhelmed. If it does all stay the same on the XC60 then it is far better than what the current Nav setup/pod is, but I felt like it was just missing something to wow me.

Anyway, I already have a price quote for the Overseas Military Sales and I wanted to see how close this dealer could get to it as I have been in contact with them for the past few months and wouldn't mind giving them my business. When the salesman said the lowest he could go was $6000 more than my Military Sales price, plus only giving 60% of the trade in value of my current car, then I knew I better stick with the Military Sales program. I plan on placing my order on Monday for a hopefully January or February delivery. The Black Sapphire with the exterior styling kit looks pretty darn good.

Congrats on the decision.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with a 90, but the 60 is SO good looking and nice driving. And if one doesn't need the extra space than why drive it around for years.

The Sensus may have been underwhelming but IMO it is a big upgrade over "pod" cars like mine.

Our family opted to not get the integrated boosters. Surely they would be convenient if you switched between carrying adults and your kids often. But they are not as safe as a harness seat. The seat I have my 4 year old in is good to 85 lbs. She won't be 85 lbs until she's like 10 at the rate she's going! And my 11 month old wont even be rear facing for awhile. And we really never take our car with other adults where we couldn't remove the kid's seats. And without the integrated boosters, you get rear seat heaters.

Are you a USAA member? Their car buying service gets pretty close to Overseas pricing I've heard. It wouldn't help with the trade, but it might get closer?

If you're going styling kit why not go R-Design? Seems like a better deal to me than a T6/Styling/Premium Pkg.

Kighter sums it up very well.

bbj77,

I'm curious for future purchases how you go about getting the overseas military price. I am assuming that you are stationed state side since you speak of talking to dealerships. The reason I ask is that I am required to bring my PCS orders along with me when picking mine up next month. If I can get the same deal as I am getting over here when I rotate back to the states Volvo will have a "for life" customer. (no pun intended)

Kighter,

I am a USAA member, but the price list on the USAA website for the XC60 is not accurate. It has incorrect prices for the different packages so the total price is not valid and is more than what it should be. I have been meaning to call and ask USAA about this but haven't had time yet.

I like the look of the R Design but the wife is not a fan of the interior. If you could get the Nordic wood center stack and the Sandstone Beige/Espresso leather seats with the R Design then it would be the R Design all the way. The R Design does basically come with the ABL Xenons and the Exterior Styling Kit (The T-6 comes standard with the Premium Pkg items) so the R ends up being about $1000 more with the Military Pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post

I'm curious for future purchases how you go about getting the overseas military price. I am assuming that you are stationed state side since you speak of talking to dealerships. The reason I ask is that I am required to bring my PCS orders along with me when picking mine up next month. If I can get the same deal as I am getting over here when I rotate back to the states Volvo will have a "for life" customer. (no pun intended)
      Ya I am stationed stateside, but I still qualify for the Military Sales Prices because I travel TDY overseas a few times each month. I'm an Air Force pilot so I end up in Germany (and less desirable locations) on most of my trips and I am actually talking to the dealer that is right by Ramstein (I notice you are at Spang, I go through there a bunch also). I just need to give a copy of my last flight orders that shows I traveled overseas and the Overseas Military Sales Rep says I am good to go. I don't know what career field you are in but if you make it back stateside and are ever deployed or go TDY overseas again you can make use of the pricing. This is what the Overseas Rep is telling me anyways. So ya it is nice to have the dealer here stateside to go check out the different colors and options, plus test drive, but I can place my custom order with the Military Sales Program.

Interesting about the pricing. I did not buy through USAA because I got a better deal through negotiating. Am curious as to it being incorrect.

The exterior kit isn't exactly the same as the R-design. Same idea yeah. The black body cladding is a cosmetic consideration.

You can get the wood center stack as an option. Looks even possible to self-install.

The seats - don't think you can do anything about them as far as color. They are more bolstered and more sport oriented. Not just cosmetic.

Also - suspension tweaks and 20" wheels.

Have you seen AussieMike's posts? He customized his to an R-Design basically.

Quote Originally Posted by bbj77 View Post
      Ya I am stationed stateside, but I still qualify for the Military Sales Prices because I travel TDY overseas a few times each month. I'm an Air Force pilot so I end up in Germany (and less desirable locations) on most of my trips and I am actually talking to the dealer that is right by Ramstein (I notice you are at Spang, I go through there a bunch also). I just need to give a copy of my last flight orders that shows I traveled overseas and the Overseas Military Sales Rep says I am good to go. I don't know what career field you are in but if you make it back stateside and are ever deployed or go TDY overseas again you can make use of the pricing. This is what the Overseas Rep is telling me anyways. So ya it is nice to have the dealer here stateside to go check out the different colors and options, plus test drive, but I can place my custom order with the Military Sales Program.
      That is good to know. How long do you have to be TDY overseas to qualify? I thought you had to be stationed overseas. That really opens up possiblities for the future. I seem to recall there being a dealership in Korea last time I was stationed there as well. I could alway go back there for a year next time I am looking to buy. Since you are not stationed here but only TDY to you still get the no import tax perk when you bring it back stateside? BTW I am a F-16 avionic technician. You must fly C-17s or C-5s.

Speaking of the interior I got an e-mail from VCNA saying they have all black leather as an option now for the R-Design...

That is good to know. How long do you have to be TDY overseas to qualify? I thought you had to be stationed overseas. That really opens up possiblities for the future. I seem to recall there being a dealership in Korea last time I was stationed there as well. I could alway go back there for a year next time I am looking to buy. Since you are not stationed here but only TDY to you still get the no import tax perk when you bring it back stateside? BTW I am a F-16 avionic technician. You must fly C-17s or C-5s.
      My understanding of it is that there is no minimum TDY length. According to the Volvo Military Sales Agent I was in contact with, the only eligibility to meet was that you had to be stationed, deployed, or TDY overseas for any amount of time. I routinely go TDY overseas for around a few days at a time and I qualify for the program. I believe there is a 2.5% import tax fee that is included in the price for delivery to the US. The price is different (lower) if I were to take delivery overseas. And yes, I do fly the C-17. I wish I could just buy the vehicle my next time in Germany, load it up in the cargo compartment, and fly it home. But rules are rules....

Anyway, you all convinced me (and the wife also changed her mind) on the R Design so that is what I ordered! T-6 R Design with Cosmic White, Climate, Convenience, Multimedia (new Sensus), and PCC. The price was amazing and I am thankful to Volvo for the Military Sales Program for sure.

Kighter,

For what it's worth, I recently spoke to USAA and mentioned the pricing error on the XC60 and they said they would look into it but were not aware of the error.

And yes, I do fly the C-17. I wish I could just buy the vehicle my next time in Germany, load it up in the cargo compartment, and fly it home. But rules are rules....
      I have seen crew members do a lot worse

Nice purchase on the R-Design. I seen one in cosmic white on Spangdahlem the other day. It had gun metal rims and looked realy sharp. When are you picking yours up?

Woot Congrats!

You got the inverse of mine. I don't have PCC tho, and it's the old pod style. You'll love it!

I have seen crew members do a lot worse

Nice purchase on the R-Design. I seen one in cosmic white on Spangdahlem the other day. It had gun metal rims and looked realy sharp. When are you picking yours up?
      My completion date is Jan 28th plus the time to ship over to the US. The dealer told me that the Cosmic White was not available stateside but only through the overseas delivery / mil sales. I don't know if it's true but hopefully the color will stand out over here.

My completion date is Jan 28th plus the time to ship over to the US. The dealer told me that the Cosmic White was not available stateside but only through the overseas delivery / mil sales. I don't know if it's true but hopefully the color will stand out over here.
      That was true in MY10. For MY11, Cosmic White is available for an XC60 R-design, through the regular ordering channels.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

For anyone still interested, I decided on the XC60 T6. I tried placing the car seat behind the driver's seat but when I adjusted my seat it ran into the car seat. It did this in both the 60 and 90. I decided that placing the car seat behind the passenger seat will be my best option then. Also, the main reason I looked at the XC90 was for the third row. I squeezed my 6'3" 240lbs body in the third row and I couldn't even slide the second row seat back to lock in place. I know the third row is more for small kids than adults, but I thought maybe some family or friends can squeeze back there if needed. But as I actually got back there I realized only like 3 adults I know would actually fit in the back. So the extra space and third row is a waste for me in the XC90. Plus the thing is sooo dated looking. I test drove it and I saw about 2 or 3 older XC90's on the road and I thought to myself "Why am I even looking at new XC90's?" I could get a used one that wouldn't be any different.

For those of you with the booster seat option for the second row, are they useful or worthwhile?

To me, the XC60 felt more nimble, responsive, and less SUV like. As an owner of a Chevy Tahoe I appreciated the smaller feel and smoother ride the XC60 offered. I also asked about the new Sensus Nav system and the salesman showed me his incoming inventory that lists the new NAV system that is coming for the XC60. I sat in a new S60 and played around with the Sensus and I have to say I was a little underwhelmed. If it does all stay the same on the XC60 then it is far better than what the current Nav setup/pod is, but I felt like it was just missing something to wow me.

Anyway, I already have a price quote for the Overseas Military Sales and I wanted to see how close this dealer could get to it as I have been in contact with them for the past few months and wouldn't mind giving them my business. When the salesman said the lowest he could go was $6000 more than my Military Sales price, plus only giving 60% of the trade in value of my current car, then I knew I better stick with the Military Sales program. I plan on placing my order on Monday for a hopefully January or February delivery. The Black Sapphire with the exterior styling kit looks pretty darn good.
      The advantage to getting the integrated booster seats is two fold. First, cars so equipped have unique pyrotechnic pretensioners on the outboard rear belts to better safeguard smaller occupants. Secondly, they are narrower than normal boosters which sit on the rear seat.
      His: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD R-Design, Red, Black Nu-buck. Hers: 2019 XC60 T5 FWD Momentum, Silver, blond leather.
      His Toy: 2017 Mazda Miata, Red with beige leather, 6MT. Her toy: 2013 C70, Caspian Blue with black sovereign hide interior.
      Daughter number one: 2016 XC60 T5 FWD
      Daughter number two: 2018 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum with Polestar, Son-in-Law: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Daughter number three: 2020 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum 6 passenger

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements