Let's See Your R in Winter Mode! - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Ice racing. Serious business.
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishing3 View Post
      the real way to do WINTER MODE

Wuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post
      That looks like way too much fun!!
      Traded In: 06 S60R 6MT Sonicama Elevate Exhaust, Phmic, iPD Stg II,Custom DP w/race cat, EST Ultra Flow Intake, Elevate Sways, SNABB Intake Pipe, SS DEM mod, BT, NAV, Miv w/X1

2019 XC40 T5 Inscription: Denim Blue/Blond
      Wheels: 20" 5 Spoke Diamond Cut
      Packages: Premium, Vision, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel
      Options: Premium Sound, Polestar Tune

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

lowenhart, what type of mount did you use for the boost gauge? It kind of looks like the bezel gauge that fitzy has, but sits different from the look of that pic. I like that look a lot but am still debating how I want to mount one myself. I would do something similar to that or the CFWerks door pod I think.
      2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T - Silver, RWD 6MT
      TOTALED 1/10/12 -[/COLOR]2004 S60R Black Sapphire/Gobi, 55K Miles, 6MT
      IPD: R Kelly W/ K&N, Upper Mount, HD Trans Mount, Polly Stabilizer Bushings, Boost Gauge in Bezel Pod. Phuz: HD TCV
      Viva: HD CBV Snabb: Intake Pipe TME: Lowering Springs DEM Heat Sheild Part# 30783129.

Quote Originally Posted by TJM 04S60R View Post
      lowenhart, what type of mount did you use for the boost gauge? It kind of looks like the bezel gauge that fitzy has, but sits different from the look of that pic. I like that look a lot but am still debating how I want to mount one myself. I would do something similar to that or the CFWerks door pod I think.

Hi there, The bezel gauge is from Fitzy. It does require the cutting away of the dash to make the pod fit. Personally I like this way, however I am not going to discourage the CFWERKS one either.

Let me know if you have questions.

Henry
      2004 S60R [452/Atacap]
      [CFWERKS CF V Front Spoiler][CFWERKS CF Mirrors][CFWERKS Aluminum ECC Stereo Knobs][CFWERKS CF PCC Trunk][CFWERKS Dual Exhaust Panel][CFWERKS CF Gauge Pod][CFWERKS CF Sail Panels][CFWERKS CF Tail Light Trim][19x8.5 VANILLA BRC][Custom Stainless Steel Dual Exhaust w/PORSCHE 996 Tips][CFWERKS Crystal Side Markers][HEICO Springs][CFWERKS.COM]

I though that may be what it was. I really like the way it sits down in still allowing you to see all the indicators/gauges and would be a bit easier to run the lines than going out through the door. I had PMed Fitzy to see if he would be interested in making another if I sent him a bezel and what ever $ he wanted, but never heard back. I like the look of the CFWerks for sure, but everytime I see the setup you have I think again. I saw the write up Fitzy did on it and got a bezel from a local junk yard for like 20 bucks, I am thinking about just trying to make my own and if I fail I willl try him again or just get the CFWerks.

Thanks,

Tyson
      2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T - Silver, RWD 6MT
      TOTALED 1/10/12 -[/COLOR]2004 S60R Black Sapphire/Gobi, 55K Miles, 6MT
      IPD: R Kelly W/ K&N, Upper Mount, HD Trans Mount, Polly Stabilizer Bushings, Boost Gauge in Bezel Pod. Phuz: HD TCV
      Viva: HD CBV Snabb: Intake Pipe TME: Lowering Springs DEM Heat Sheild Part# 30783129.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post

Ahhhhhhh! Another R gasm. Between your ice racing and R Kelly's winter wheels (wheel thread) I am going to need a new keyboard.

I cannot describe how fun that looks! I do my best impersonation on snow covered parking lots. I wish it got that cold in my neck of the woods.
      '06 Long Roof R Magic Blue | Eroticama | 3-Pedal Arrangement | 222k miles | My story: Addicted to a new drug: torque, baby!!!
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | 27k miles - garage queen | RIP 10/05/17, now a parts car.
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | 26k miles - garage queen
      '07 Passat 2.0T Wagon | Deep Black | Wifemobile | 161k miles

Quote Originally Posted by R Kelly View Post
      I think this is one of the coolest R pics I've seen!

Some new borbet wheels and dunlop wintersport 3D tires (best winter tires ever!)

scuse the cruddy iphone pics.

oh and here's my subaru in wintermode a few years back. (actually the only thing that went out that day was the snowmobiles!)

Last edited by Avboden; 11-21-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Yeah Henry I agree, one of the driving forces for me getting the R was the styling, the pegasus rims are my favorite rims, period. I still want to get the 19's, but either way my blizzaks want some SNOW RIGHT NOW!

A few R's in winter mode snapped today...

1990 Porsche 964 C4
      SOLD2007 V70R 6M RED/Nordkap | Bluetooth | EBD & Resonator delete | Viva strut conversion | front engine mount | TWM M1 Abrams shift knob | ipd boost gauge & custom pod | ipd/R Kelly intake | IMIV LE | ipd track sways | ipd HD endlinks | ipd lower transmission mount | EST Downpipe & Sport exhaust

Last winter:

Throwback when I had the '94 940 Turbo:
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black [HIS] - Platinum/Tech/Climate/19" IxionII, Polestar Winglets, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Sway Bar, 15mm Spacers and KN Filter.
      2019 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Crystal White/Charcoal [HERS] - Nappa Leather w/Massage/Advanced/Heated Steering & Rear Seats/Sport Steering Wheel & Charcoal Headliner/20" Wheels
      ​Past: 1994 940Turbo/2004 S40LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda 3/2012 S60RD/2013 S60T5AWD/2016 XC60T6AWD

These pics are from 2 years ago (Just uploaded today though ). The R really is at home in snowy climates.

2006 Volvo S60 R 6MT; Black Sapphire/ ATACAMA w/ a Personalized PA Plate

2017 BMW X5 ///M; Silverstone/ Mugello Red Leather/ Carbon Fiber Trim; 10/6/17 Performance Delivery

Picture from last year in winter mode
      Traded In: 06 S60R 6MT Sonicama Elevate Exhaust, Phmic, iPD Stg II,Custom DP w/race cat, EST Ultra Flow Intake, Elevate Sways, SNABB Intake Pipe, SS DEM mod, BT, NAV, Miv w/X1

2019 XC40 T5 Inscription: Denim Blue/Blond
      Wheels: 20" 5 Spoke Diamond Cut
      Packages: Premium, Vision, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel
      Options: Premium Sound, Polestar Tune

05BruzaS60r some of those look calendaR worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazinBob View Post
      05BruzaS60r some of those look calendaR worthy.

thanks man. the date stamps ruin them for a calendar though.
      2006 Volvo S60 R 6MT; Black Sapphire/ ATACAMA w/ a Personalized PA Plate

2017 BMW X5 ///M; Silverstone/ Mugello Red Leather/ Carbon Fiber Trim; 10/6/17 Performance Delivery

Quote Originally Posted by PC Diesel View Post
      Picture from last year in winter mode
      loving that moose on the grill. another lucky sonic blue R owner..
      Sold : 2005 SR MT Black Sapphire Metallic/Nordkap
      Mods: bone stock

couldnt get a good shot of the car as a whole. might try again later but here are some shots of the grill and trunk badges.

Last edited by iLLEST-R; 12-04-2010 at 01:43 PM.
      Sold : 2005 SR MT Black Sapphire Metallic/Nordkap
      Mods: bone stock

Quote Originally Posted by R Kelly View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Squish409 View Post
      I think this is one of the coolest R pics I've seen!
      I would have to agree. You wouldn't happen to have a wallpaper size (wide screen) of that picture?
      2004 Volvo S60R // Silver // Nordkap Leather // 18" Anthracite pegasus // Sat-Nav / TV / Phone // Volvo Detachable Tow

Quote Originally Posted by Slvr S60R View Post
      As much as I like BBS rims this car looks so much more sick with the 18" pegs.
      I do think the Pegs complete the Factory R look of these cars and make them look great! Also, same with the Heico Vs. That style of 5 spoke rims look good for the P2.

But they are not very conducive to performance driving...it's like having 4 for of these to mount tires on
      2007 S60 2.5T AWD GT Black Sapphire (Sport, Premium, and Cold weather Packages)
      Eurosport Tuning | Brembo | Hawk HPS | Takspeed | KW | IPD | QBM | Dunlop | Team Dynamics Motorsports | UltraRacing | Prosport | Carbonfiberwerks | Unorthodox Racing | PIAA | ProClip | German Castrol | Mobil 1 | Rain-X

This thread makes me want snow ever more now...Hopefully the weathermen are right with their predictions for the week...

Quote Originally Posted by R.Photo View Post
      Am I the only one who can't wait for winter? Every day I wake up to normal weather, or rain, I WANT SNOW!
      No, I've been waiting for some decent snowfall. An R in a garage is a waste because they're sooo much fun in winter.

My winter mode is a set of Conti ExtremeContact AWS

Just tested them in snow today - amazing handling

2004 S60R 6MT HILTON 2.5 Tuned
      CLICK HERE for Build Thread

My wife's car: 2015.5 XC60 CLICK HERE

Banned

Time to make the donuts!

Quite possibly the only time my R will be clean this winter:

Tires are 235/45 R17 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s, they are awesome.

Wheels are MSW Type 16s from Tire Rack; I would not recommend them. Construction is poor, two of four wheels aren't exactly... uhh, round? They're terrible above 80 km/h, two replacements are on the way but I've called Tire Rack's phone service department like 7 times to achieve this.

My last headache was they charged the wheels to my credit card (will reimburse when they receive the damaged ones) ... but had the order on hold... for two weeks... waiting for payment by cheque?! I've never paid for ANYTHING by cheque in my life!
      Currently driving: 2012 Subaru Impreza WRX STi 5-door, 1991 940 Turbo sedan.
      Written off: 2005 S60R. Magic Blue/Nordkap Sold: 2004 S60 2.4i, 1987 740 Turbo

'05mt blk/atacama SR with a few mods
      '02 v.7 sti wagon-the winter beater
      '02 wrx stage 2 rebuild thread -sold
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

So its snowing right now, and I thought I'd just post a couple of pics that I took real quick...

OK, technically my R is not in winter mode in these photos because the winter tires are in the boot. However, the photos were taken today in the snow. Does that count?

First snowfall of the season (about 2"). Woo-hoo! Still having bald, summer tires on my Volvo; not woo-hoo. Coasting to a stop actually seemed more effective in slowing down than applying the brakes. Each time I touched the brakes, my foot received a massage from the ABS. And I don't think I have ever had so many vehicles pass me on the highway either. Argh.

Thankfully, my winter tires were installed this afternoon along with a 4-wheel alignment. I have Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 size P215/50R17 95R XL. This is my first winter experience with the R and am looking forward to playing in the white stuff. I have the same tires on my Passat also and could not be more pleased with the winter/snow performance. Admittedly, I sacrificed some dry pavement performance, but I am not after barn-burner performance in the winter.

At the bottom is the bald summer tire. Although not in the frame, they were worn into the wear bars. Eeek! Yokohama YK520. They were on the car when I purchased it and were 50% worn then. I have put 19,000 miles on my car since buying it, so they held up pretty well and were rather quiet even to the end. Interestingly, the previous owner sipped them. I've seen that done on truck tires, but never passenger tires. They exhibited pretty even wear including the normal inboard, negative-camber wear.

Last edited by qwkbrk; 01-20-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: re-hosted images.
      '06 Long Roof R Magic Blue | Eroticama | 3-Pedal Arrangement | 222k miles | My story: Addicted to a new drug: torque, baby!!!
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | 27k miles - garage queen | RIP 10/05/17, now a parts car.
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | 26k miles - garage queen
      '07 Passat 2.0T Wagon | Deep Black | Wifemobile | 161k miles

First major snowfall of the year and my R with winter tires is at the dealership for a few days getting new struts and spring seats. Struts were well on their way out so will be glad to get the handling back.

Rocking a Dodge Avenger rental with all season tires now - I miss my R.

Quote Originally Posted by S60inToronto View Post
      getting new struts and spring seats
      Are you just doing the fronts or did you have to get all four?
      Currently driving: 2012 Subaru Impreza WRX STi 5-door, 1991 940 Turbo sedan.
      Written off: 2005 S60R. Magic Blue/Nordkap Sold: 2004 S60 2.4i, 1987 740 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by dubcaps View Post

Interesting rack there
      2004 S60R 6MT HILTON 2.5 Tuned
      CLICK HERE for Build Thread

My wife's car: 2015.5 XC60 CLICK HERE

By Zeljko_M at 2010-12-08
      not in its full glory

My R looks awesome right now covered in road grime and salt. I will post up some pics tomorrow after the new wheel setup is on!
      06 V70R GT Magic Blue/Gobi: iPd stage 1 tune, iPd sways, JVC KWM150BT, fixing broken stuff
      Past: (3) 04 S60Rs, 06 XC90, 05 XC70, a couple of 854s, a manual swapped/slammed/19T'd 855 T-5R

This is what I call winter mode over here.
      Sorry for the cell phone pics, that's all I had this morning.

Am I the first one to do a "chop top" on a VR?
      -Pascal
      2005 V70R 6MT ~ Ti Gray / Atacama ~ No it's not stock
      2015 Ford F-150 ~ Magnetic / Black ~ It's not stock either

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast