04 Climate Control Console Bulb Replacement
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post 04 Climate Control Console Bulb Replacement

A week or so after I got my R I noticed that the heated seats and defrost buttons weren't backlit. I took apart the console and found the bulb was dead. I order up some replacements along with a red and a blue to test the different colors.

I thought I would do a write up to show how to tear down the center console and replace the bulbs for anyone who needs to in the future. I am sure people will, when I was replacing this one another one burned out on me! Luckily I had extras...

A few things to note:

• I did not disconnect any wiring for this. It would be much easier to disconnect the wires and pull the unit off but I didn't want to mess with the battery. It is very much possible to leave it connected unless you are replacing one of the hard to reach bulbs
      • If you are tearing down the whole dash, you WILL need to do the proper battery protocol first so that when you unplug things and plug them back in you don't get error codes
      • Be careful not to drop anything down around the gear shifter! See below for consequences...
      • It is a very quick job once you know how to take apart the console

Here are the tools:

Start out removing the pen holder (AKA Droid Navigation mount ):

It's easiest to pop up one side and hold it out while popping out the other side. Be careful not to scratch the surround:

Next remove these two torx screws. Again, be careful not to drop them into the abyss!

The bottom of the unit can now be pulled out:

Here it is removed. I left the wiring attached so I didn't have to do the battery dance:

I think there are 6 (at least) backlighting bulbs:

They come out using a regular screwdriver. They lock/unlock with about 1/8th turn. Unlock them, tilt the unit with your hand behind the whole to get it out. Be careful not to drop it! Then pop the replacement in and lock it in:

Here are some pics of the red. It looks almost pink in some, but I assure you, it is REALLY red. It is by far the brightest and almost too bright.

Here are some pics of the blue bulb. I like it the best. Though it is not as bright as the original lighting:

Here I only replaced one for the dial so you can see it changing from the regular backlighting to blue:

Here is the regular bulb (white) with no covering or filter on it. You can move the filter from the old bulb onto it, or buy some that come with the filter. If you don't use it, it looks a light reddish. In the photo it looks almost orange but it is not, it is a soft red. I left it with the filter off because I like how it looks for the "heating" buttons.

When replacing the pen holder make sure the two inner tabs are on the outside of the tabs they are near. Then push the whole thing on, it should snap right on:

If you need to, or just for reference. Here is how to take off the shifter surround. Make sure to pop the two tabs in front first and pull it up a little. Then pop up the side tabs:

And here are the results from my fishing trip! She is a beauty! Took about 40 mins of poking around. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP ANYTHING! Haha:

Some closing comments:
      • The blue looks REALLY good I think. But is about 60% of the brightness of the original backlighting. It is hard to tell in the pictures but it is fairly dim. I do like the color though.
      • The red is by far the brightest and VERY red. It would look better I think if I had put a filter on it to dim it down a little.
      • The original without the filter looks good for the "heating" buttons as it has a faint red glow to it. It looks orange in the pics but it is not. I will try to get a better picture in the daylight.
      • The bulbs are Neo Wedge T4.
      • I got the colored ones from here: http://autolumination.com/74.htm I got the instrument panel ones towards the bottom, not the LED ones. About $8 for 3 shipped (1 red, 1 blue, 1 white)
      • I got 5 clear with filters for $1 ($8 shipped! WTF!) from here: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/LP-70/14V-NEO-WEDGE-BASE-LAMP/1.html
      • If you are looking for blue and want brighter bulbs, the LED ones may be worth a try. But they aren't actual "bulbs" so the filters won't fit on them to dim them, so you would have to go another route.

Hope this is helpful! Enjoy!
      Last edited by Skurvy_Pirate; 07-27-2017 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Fixed image links
      2004 S60R MT Titanium/Gobi -05 Center Console - IPD HD Poly Transmission Mount - IPD R Kelly CAI - IPD R Boost Gauge Sold
      Climate Control Bulb Replacement
      Reverse Light Switch Replacement
      04 to 05+ Console Swap

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Excellent write up! This is actually a common problem in higher mileage P2 Volvos from what I've seen. I didn't know that Volvo had made them so user-friendly to replace, either. Nice to see some variations on the colors, too.

Excellent info. I want to do the same to our 2 Volvo V70 T5s. I want to go Blue LEDs though. What are these filters you are talking about?
      2001 v70 t5
      2003 S60 2.4T

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Nice write-up but you really need to buy a bone tool.

Image pilfered from IPD: http://ipdusa.com/product.asp?strPar..._ID=0&P_ID=197

No, it’s not a tool to use at your local archeological dig sight. It’s a tough nylon tool that’s used to take apart instrument clusters and interior trim. Most of these interior parts of cars are made of plastic and are held in place by clips or snaps. To remove them, you have to get underneath them and pry them off. A screwdriver or a metal prybar is not a good choice for this as metal tools tend to scratch these panels very easily and generally make a big mess. The bone tool is stiff enough to act as a pry bar but soft enough to leave most plastics unscratched. It has rounded edges and slightly pointed shape that’s just right for doing this type of work. Factory technicians have used them for years. If you plan on doing any type of interior work on your car then these tools are a must. They also work great for popping off exterior moldings without scratching the paint. They might even be just the thing for that brontosaurus you’re digging up in your back yard!
      LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Crito View Post
      Nice write-up but you really need to buy a bone tool.
      LOL
      The metal on plastic made me cringe too, but given how marked up his car is inside, I don't think he cared.
      iPD tune / Bilstein HD /25mm sways / Heico dual exhaust / OE sport body kit / HID Projectors / VST strut brace / EU power folding mirror kit / iMIV / Volvotech CFE / etc.

Good write up. I'll add that the buttons in the CCM (like the DSTC one) each have their own bulbs. Recently my DSTC switch lost its light, replacing it means pulling out the CCM and unscrewing it, then prying it apart to get to the buttons. I'm not worried though as I have a new one to install anyway.

I've ordered from Allied before and been astounded at their shipping and handling charges, $5 to pick the part and 12 to ship, for a $3 battery holder! Crazy!

Also, did you get any pictures of the 'clear with filter' lights that you got from Allied?
      Thanks
      | 04 FLO R IDA V |

Quote Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
      I didn't know that Volvo had made them so user-friendly to replace, either.
      It's not so bad once you can actually find the bulbs! Haha. That was the hard part for me, those little things were hard to find at first.

Quote Originally Posted by rsxer63 View Post
      Excellent info. I want to do the same to our 2 Volvo V70 T5s. I want to go Blue LEDs though. What are these filters you are talking about?
      They are these little rubber covers that come on the bulbs. Take a look at this: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...highlight=bulb for pictures of it.

Yeah a bone tool would have been nice . My car is mostly just dusty, it never really got detailed properly I don't think. I am going to clean it Sunday. But it isn't too hard to do it without scratching if you are careful, but I would definitely recommend the bone tool if you have it, or even if you don't, get one.

I can get some pictures after this weekend of the clear with filters, I left them at home and am going to the Civil War today! But they look exactly like the ones that I linked. They are from AllElectronics also, not Allied.
      2004 S60R MT Titanium/Gobi -05 Center Console - IPD HD Poly Transmission Mount - IPD R Kelly CAI - IPD R Boost Gauge Sold
      Climate Control Bulb Replacement
      Reverse Light Switch Replacement
      04 to 05+ Console Swap

yellow bulb + blue filter = green light
      iPD tune / Bilstein HD /25mm sways / Heico dual exhaust / OE sport body kit / HID Projectors / VST strut brace / EU power folding mirror kit / iMIV / Volvotech CFE / etc.

very cool, now if we can only backlight the gear positions on the shift base. But thank you for the demo I will be doing this first thing next year.

Thanks for this excellent writeup and taking the time for such detailed explanations and pics! Sticky!

Quote Originally Posted by n23 View Post
      Good write up. I'll add that the buttons in the CCM (like the DSTC one) each have their own bulbs. Recently my DSTC switch lost its light, replacing it means pulling out the CCM and unscrewing it, then prying it apart to get to the buttons. I'm not worried though as I have a new one to install anyway.

I've ordered from Allied before and been astounded at their shipping and handling charges, $5 to pick the part and 12 to ship, for a $3 battery holder! Crazy!

Also, did you get any pictures of the 'clear with filter' lights that you got from Allied?
      Thanks
      The following comment is based on an '07R so I apologize if the '04R is different.

I don't think this is accurate. I've put in a couple of these buttons (aux lighting and folding mirrors) and the buttons just plug into an area (of the CCM). The light is inside the button itself with no obvious way to replace it. I think you would have to replace the entire button if your light is out.
      Present:
      '07 S60R, Black Sapphire/Gobi, 6GT, 18" Pegs, NAV, Prem, Climate, IAQS, Park Asst, iMIV, Updated Rain Squeal Bracket, Aux light kit, Power mirrors with puddle lights
      '07 Acura MDX Elite, Burgundy/Grey, Full Load

Quote Originally Posted by jclough View Post
      The following comment is based on an '07R so I apologize if the '04R is different.

I don't think this is accurate. I've put in a couple of these buttons (aux lighting and folding mirrors) and the buttons just plug into an area (of the CCM). The light is inside the button itself with no obvious way to replace it. I think you would have to replace the entire button if your light is out.
      Absolutly correct. The DSTC button on an 04 is accessible from the front of the ccm button panel. Process would be - remove button trim piece, replace DSTC button (replace bulb), replace trim piece. The CCM remains bolted in the whole time. I have an extra DSTC button with a working light if you are intrested (at n23).
      Last edited by ss60; 01-25-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Started my project the other day - the color matches R's blue dials perfectly!

Replaced most of the climate bulbs, except that I left out the ones indicating the warmer temperature (that way cold is blue, warm is white/red-ish)

I still need to replace the bottom half as well as the radio bulbs. Does anyone know what bulbs are needed for the radio controls?

Thanks!

Last edited by tomedkaz; 12-22-2010 at 08:37 AM.
      2004 S60R 6MT HILTON 2.5 Tuned
      CLICK HERE for Build Thread

My wife's car: 2015.5 XC60 CLICK HERE

Global Phuz
      Cool project! For the temperature dial, what if you did a blue bulb on the cool side and a red bulb on the warmer side? lol
      Matt
      2005 Volvo XC90 V8
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design
      1991 Volvo 940 - 2JZGTE, 600rwhp

I did mine today too... I used the brightest blue LEDS I could find and it looks awesome! I goofed though and I am one short. I am placing another order now to finish this one off and do our other V70 too. I also did the cluster but I got the 5mm removable bulb LEDs and they just barely fit... it is hit or miss and I would like to be able to turn them a little more. Is everyone else using 5mm or are they using 4mm?

tia,
      Ron
      2001 v70 t5
      2003 S60 2.4T

Quote Originally Posted by tomedkaz View Post
      Started my project the other day - the color matches R's blue dials perfectly!

Replaced most of the climate bulbs, except that I left out the ones indicating the warmer temperature (that way cold is blue, warm is white/red-ish)

I still need to replace the bottom half as well as the radio bulbs. Does anyone know what bulbs are needed for the radio controls?

Thanks!
      Looks great! LED or standard? Source?
      TOTALED: 2007VR, GT, Electrakap, Nav, Boosters, 3rd row
      DONATED TO CHARITY: 1997 850 Wagon, 196K miles - rehabbed for free by local mechanic, and now lives on helping someone in need get to work and school!
      NOW DRIVING: A GTI...

EXCELLENT WRITE UP!

I also need to update my lights.
      I need to brighten the green + orange aircon on/off lights. In daylight you can't see if they're on or off.
      02 XC70 R PROJECT TERRÄNGKÖRNING LANDVAGN
      04 V70R PROJECT LANDBARGE
      11 XC60 R-DESIGN PROJECT HEICO

Quote Originally Posted by jozooka View Post
      Looks great! LED or standard? Source?
      Thanks
      LEDs from eBay. I believe they were all T4 bulbs
      2004 S60R 6MT HILTON 2.5 Tuned
      CLICK HERE for Build Thread

My wife's car: 2015.5 XC60 CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by ss60 View Post
      Absolutly correct. The DSTC button on an 04 is accessible from the front of the ccm button panel. Process would be - remove button trim piece, replace DSTC button, replace trim piece. The CCM remains bolted in the whole time. I have an extra DSTC button with a working light if you are intrested (at n23).
      Huh, I always had read/has assumed that I had to disassemble the entire CCM to get a the buttons. I'll see if I can pull off the trim surround. I always figured that it would be a lot of work for a volvo tech to take the entire thing apart just to replace a light bulb. It turns out I had another bulb from another DSTC button (I accidentally bought two a while back).
      Thanks

Huh, I always had read/has assumed that I had to disassemble the entire CCM to get a the buttons. I'll see if I can pull off the trim surround. I always figured that it would be a lot of work for a volvo tech to take the entire thing apart just to replace a light bulb. It turns out I had another bulb from another DSTC button (I accidentally bought two a while back).
      Thanks
      I'll make a couple pics of how to do it and post them up for you (on Monday).

Do you need to pull the battery cable to do the DSTC button, also how do I replace the orange light for the foot area button in the center?

Thanks
      Last edited by rsxer63; 01-23-2011 at 08:09 PM.
      2001 v70 t5
      2003 S60 2.4T

Do you need to pull the battery cable to do the DSTC button, also how do I replace the orange light for the foot area button in the center?
      battery cable does not need to be off for the DSTC button swap.
      the orange light is replaced from the rear of the CCM (like the ones in the photos at top of thread).

+1 on the radio bulb info. This looks great and would look even cooler with radio blue as well.

Do you need to pull the battery cable to do the DSTC button?
      Thanks
      Here are a few shots of how the button plate comes off, the DSTC button then just pulls out and the new one button goes in. Note: the bulb inside the switch is replaceable (neo twist type)

Last edited by ss60; 01-25-2011 at 09:38 AM.

I goofed though and I am one short. I am placing another order now to finish this one off and do our other V70 too.
      Do you know the total bulb count for the climate console?
      TOTALED: 2007VR, GT, Electrakap, Nav, Boosters, 3rd row
      DONATED TO CHARITY: 1997 850 Wagon, 196K miles - rehabbed for free by local mechanic, and now lives on helping someone in need get to work and school!
      NOW DRIVING: A GTI...

Quote Originally Posted by jozooka View Post
      Do you know the total bulb count for the climate console?
      It is either 6 or 7... I would order a couple extra if I was you. I had one fail in less than a week (they have a 1 year warranty I believe). If you want to replace the lights on the bottom buttons... I found out they are already LEDs and they are smaller. I need to research what size they are still. The cluster takes 13 bulbs. I also need to find out the sizes for the door switch bulbs and the the ones for the switches by the map lights still.
      Last edited by rsxer63; 01-25-2011 at 10:29 PM.
      2001 v70 t5
      2003 S60 2.4T

I still can't find where the bulb is for the foot indicator on the heating control (the orange one). I have replaced all the bulbs on the back and they all are blue now. The head and torso have the orange indicator but not the feet.
      2001 v70 t5
      2003 S60 2.4T

Here are a few shots of how the button plate comes off, the DSTC button then just pulls out and the new one button goes in. Note: the bulb inside the switch is replaceable (neo twist type)
      Do you know what size the one in the switch is... I'm thinking 3mm but not sure. It is very small and short.
      2001 v70 t5
      2003 S60 2.4T

Do you know what size the one in the switch is... I'm thinking 3mm but not sure. It is very small and short.
      The base says '8' on it, and measures 8mm across; so they are probably Neo wedge T3 (aka 'type A')

Has anyone done the radio bulbs?
      2004 S60R/MT/Ti/Gobi-Elevate DP, Snabb, ViVA Single mass flywheel, Short Ram CAI, ViVA CBV, iPD HDTCV,Tki Endlinks, iPD stabilizer bushing, poly engine mount, poly trans mount, powerflex bushings, 7 psi wastegate, iPD boost guage,Fitzy style pod,hardwired V1,35w HID 6000k foglights, 6000k headlights

Quote Originally Posted by owensR View Post
      Has anyone done the radio bulbs?
      A few have, most notably, Chilled Man...

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ulb-Change-out
      04 S60 R MT Titanium Grey/Nordcap thread Copper Work VX-XX 19" Staggered | DP & Custom Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion Exterior & Interior | Sport Kit
      12 XC60 Ice White Wifey's Family Hauler | 3.2 AWD | Heico Kit | Fast 19" FC04A | Running Boards
      12 S60 R-Design Ice White | Bone stock for now
      IG: @devolvR

Thank you, that will make it much easier in the future.

Has anyone tried the 74xHP3 LED for the cluster? It has 360 degree output and is only a little bit more... I don't have a way of measuring the stock bulb or the hole. If someone knows it will fit I will try them out.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b....html%23ipanel

Instrument Panel and Gauge LED Wedge Base bulbs
      T1-3/4 and T1-1/2 bulbs with standard LED or High Power SMD LED, also available without the Twist-Lock holder. 12 Volt DC operation.
      #74 Replaces: 17 18 37 70 73 79 85 86;
      2001 v70 t5
      2003 S60 2.4T

update: I called SuperbrightLEDs and they think the 74xHP3 LED will work. I ordered enough of them to do both of my clusters... I will post up results when I get them.
      2001 v70 t5
      2003 S60 2.4T

Has anyone tried the 74xHP3 LED for the cluster? It has 360 degree output and is only a little bit more... I don't have a way of measuring the stock bulb or the hole. If someone knows it will fit I will try them out.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b....html%23ipanel

Instrument Panel and Gauge LED Wedge Base bulbs
      T1-3/4 and T1-1/2 bulbs with standard LED or High Power SMD LED, also available without the Twist-Lock holder. 12 Volt DC operation.
      #74 Replaces: 17 18 37 70 73 79 85 86;
      Just got them installed...They are awesome! Virtually even coloring all over the cluster ( I can see a little variation but nothing like the single smd LEDs. One thing I found out is all the LED holders for the bulbs are difficult to install LEDS in... But I ound a solution. I just happened to have a Honda S2000 cluster laying around and I tried the bulb holders off it... They work perfectly for all the cluster LEDS.

Question though.... There is a bulb that goes right behind the error window on the cluster that doesn't seem to make any difference at all. I have tried no bulb, blue bulb and stock and it doesn't seem to matter. Has anyone else found this problem?
      2001 v70 t5
      2003 S60 2.4T

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast