2011 last year in USA for V50: does it matter? Does Volvo still mean longterm reliability? Geely's impact?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2011 last year in USA for V50: does it matter? Does Volvo still mean longterm reliability? Geely's impact?

I'm new here, though I registered in 2008 when I was considering the c30.

We're in the process of deciding whether to buy the V50 here in the USA. Apparently 2011 is the last year for this model here. I'm not sure if that really matters or not?

I don't see why more people here in the states don't drive these cars. There certainly are a lot of Audi and BMW versions around, but I've only seen one of these in our town (NY metro area) and on a trip down and back to Annapolis, MD on the New Jersey Turnpike I didn't see one. Of course, I rarely see any c30 Volvos, either. We're inundated with the v70s the XC versions, the s40, etc.

Since 2003 I've been driving MINIs and love the way they handle. Why buy a Volvo? I've had a 240 and currently have a 1996 850 that is an old workhorse but feels as though I am driving a slow couch. Love my MINI Clubman and will keep it for now, even if we do go for the V50. I am hoping from Volvo that we can still expect longterm reliability whereas with the MINI most people I know tend to trade them or sell them when they approach their warranty limits.

So - does Volvo still equal longevity and safety? And how do you feel about this model being discontinued in the USA, for those who live here? And what do you all think about the Chinese company Greely's buying Volvo?

Basically, I'm trying to decide - go with the substantially more expensive Volvo V50 or possibly add in another MINI Cooper.

Thanks for your feedback.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don't understand why the model isn't promoted more. I can't tell you how many people have come up to me and said, "I didn't know Volvo made a small wagon"

The model is extremely popular in Europe, but just hasn't caught on here.

I find my V50 very nimble and fun to drive, so I would recommend for the V50.

Of course, one of the features that I love about mine is not available on the 2011 - the AWD. There may only be about 4-5 days a year that I need AWD (and today was one of them), but I'm very glad to have it.

As you're comparing price with the Mini and the V50, be sure to look into the Overseas Delivery program. Save some bucks and get a free trip to Europe. BTW - Mini still does not have a European Delivery program.
      2017 XC60 Inscription Magic Blue
      2007 V50 T5 AWD Passion Red
      OSD March, 2007 - The only way to buy a Volvo!!
      1998 850 Turbo Polar White

How many BMW 3 series estates do you see in the US? Do Ford sell the Focus in a station wagon version? The V50 is in the same size bracket and I suspect that those with families tend to veer towards buying larger vehicles to allow them to shift all their kids and related miscellanea around (MPVs, 7 seat SUVs etc).
      I don't think the takeover by Geely will change the way Volvo works - Geely have stated they are going to leave Volvo in Sweden with factories there to supply the 'west' but will build for the Chinese market in China. Will they do any worse for Volvo than Ford did? My only concern is that Volvo seems to have taken a few Ford designers with them as the S60/V60 just look like the Mondeo (not sure what this is in the US market?). Ford owned Land Rover and looking at the new Explorer and the Flex bears more than a passing resemblance to the Discovery/Range Rover. Ford dumped Jaguar/Land Rover just as they have Volvo, seemingly after stripping the ideas cupboard bare first...

If this is the last of the current V50 then maybe it will become a collector's item. There is no doubt that the interior of the V50 will stand out as a design classic for a long time to come - that floating console is still pretty unique as interiors go. If you want an out and out load lugger then a bigger Volvo would be the direction to go in but if you want something capable of carrying a fair bit and still looking unique amongst the current trend of automobile design, then the V50 may tick the right boxes.
      Safety will not be an issue IMO - Volvo have a reputation which is probaly why Geely bought them (especially now that the Latin NCAP, the recently launched South American version of Europe's New Car Assessment Program and similar to the Australian one that rates cars according to their crashworthiness, gave the Geely CK compact sedan no stars out of a possible five).

BMW Mini is without a doubt one of the trend buckers in that they are holding their value pretty well in the used car market - we were looking at them recently to replace a VW Polo and the prices for even the very first models were crazy.

Not much help I know but I may be a little biased towards the V50...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The V50 is a pleasing model for all ages. Our 2006 V50 is the hands-on choice for all 4 of our teen age grand kids. Too bad they will be unable to pry it from their grand mom's warm driving hands. Let's just hope Volvo will offer a future small sport wagon as good as the V50.
      2006 V50 w/Sport Pkg Black

Do it! What about a used one to get awd and 6-speed?

I love mine. Great for hauling my crap to school and back.

2007 V50 T-5 AWD 6MT
      -Elevate Springs
      -R-Design Mirror Caps
      -35% all around

Well the V50 is already designed so even with Geely onboard as the new owner the design is "locked-in" so to say- they're not going to take out your airbags at your next service visit or strip out the high-tensile steel for tin.

I bet you could snag a killer deal on this. First off, it's a Volvo. Secondly it's on its way out. Thirdly it's a wagon. When I got my 2005 S40 it was the first time I had ever had the dealer give a negotiating price that was several thousand below the msrp. But then again I was buying in December...

Anyways my 2005 S40 T5 AWD with 60,000 miles has been reliable so far- the only problem I have with it is that I feel that the battery dies pretty early- I've switched the battery 3 times and now and then when I start the car it almost sounds like the car doesn't have enough power to start the engine. But it's never left me stranded. Sometimes the CD changer freezes up, nothing a shutdown and restart (the entire car) doesn't solve. I don't know about running costs on the mini- I've spent $1500 to replace the rear rotors and get two minor things fixed at the dealer and then my dad spent another $500 on some routine service I think this year. So a total of $2000 this year. The major services I've heard can run up to $800- a friend has the last gen Mitsubishi S40. If you're buying new I think they brought back the free 3yrs service which is nice (I had that).

With my car, city driving will turn it into a V10 BMW M5... in terms of mpg. It seems like this thing loves the gas on local roads. On highways, it's a different story.

I really like my S40 and I can't imagine it being too different to a V50. Initially when I bought this, the plan was to own it for a bit and as soon as I could save up to get a new car, I'd switch. But the economy has not been too kind. And you know what? I'm OK with it- I'm pretty happy with the car. I'm hoping it can run for a decade at least- I'm 1/2 way there. I'm not sure if it's possible with all this tech in the car, but that's not a issue exclusive to the S40/V50. Overall, it's left a favorable impression of Volvo on me.

The car is pretty safe, I guess- I don't intend on finding out how it wrecks!
      Oh, get the bixenon lights. Totally worth every penny.

Thanks all. Yes, well if I go this route, I'll be buying in December, too!

Right now, I'm leaning back towards the Volvo. I was concerned to read Bob's comment about the problems he's had with his "Dala-tec" (in another thread) because we did not want to spend the extra $1880 to get the leather AND the sunroof, etc., that we have to get in a package deal here in the states. Our "cloth" here in the states is called Dalaro T-tec. I'd like to believe it will hold up for the long haul. And yes, I want bi-xenons and heated seats.

I have been looking for a recent model year used or "pre-owned" but they are difficult to find with xenons. Found an '08 but it was loaded to the max and with the price they wanted it just didn't make sense compared to the warranty that Volvo offers now...2008 cars as certified pre-owned don't make the cut for the new longer warranties, etc.

eurotrash, your comments about them not taking my airbags out or replacing my steel with tin did make me chuckle.

I really like my V50 T5. The car accelerates effortlessly and handles great. It is even better since installing the IPD rear sway bar. I have had hit-and-miss reliability with Volvos. My '98 V70 was ok but under powered without the turbo. My '02 S40 seemed to have many annoying issues that were all covered by warranty. I was glad I had the extended warranty. I swore that it would be my last Volvo. Then it got totaled. Traffic came to a stop, I stopped the person behind me hit me at highway speed while looking over their shoulder, accelerating to jump in the next lane and didn't see that we had stopped. I had no idea how hard they hit until I got out of the car and saw that the entire back of my car was smashed, left wheel ripped off and pieces of car everywhere. The crumple zone, high strength steel safety cage and WHIPS worked flawlessly. I walked away without so much as a back ache. I have a wife and 4 kids who seem to want me around. This is why I bought another Volvo. My Volvo dealer actually went looking for a car for me, put me in a loaner car for free and gave me a great deal on my '05 V50 T5 as a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle.

Volvo is also well known for their environmentally friendliness. They hold their 3rd party suppliers to high standards regarding waste and environmental impact.

Volvo makes great efforts to try to eliminate materials that produce toxic vapors and cause discomfort for people with allergies or asthma. Upholstery and interior textiles comply with the Oeko-Tex Standard 100—an international benchmark. All interior metal details are tested with regard to contact allergies—so parts such as keys, door handles and seat belt buckles comply with the same standards for nickel leakage as high quality jewelry. The V50 has scored high marks http://www.healthystuff.org/departme...?getrecno=2085 and was top on the list back in 2007.

The China impact? I don't know if anyone can answer that. I did feel better about the company when they were owned by Ford. If it is a worry, you could look for a CPO V50. That is what I did and have been very pleased. They come with a 6year/100K mile warranty and I believe that they just started including routine service http://www.volvocars.com/us/sales-se...s/default.aspx .

FYI: If you like a good sound system, get the Premium Sound. I am an audio snob and I have been very impressed. The car does not lend itself very well to aftermarket audio upgrades.

Dang, I should be selling cars
      Stan

Appreciate it, Stan. I'm still searching the Internet for a CPO with xenons, and heated seats...though at least one dealership has said they'd install the heated seats for $600. As for the safety aspect - thank goodness you walked away unscathed!

I didn't have in mind any sort of China bashing by the thread's title. More of a throwing it out there for comment.

wagons aren't popular in north america. North Americans want SUVs and Cross overs.
      SOLD: 2005 V50 T5 AWD - Metallic Silver 426 - ELEVATE Stage I Tune - ELEVATE Rear Sway Bar - VIVA Performance Front Strut Bar - iPd Front Stabilizer Links - EuroSportTuning Drop-in Filter - Volvo 18' Medusa Wheels - Volvo R-Design Steering Wheel - Full LED Conversion

Otra.....Yep...Miata13 here as well!

I see all the regulars here have chimed in on their V50's...we just drove ours home 2+ hours after a holiday trip and I said for the umpteenth time..."I love the Volvo seats". They seem firm at first seat but are so supportive, you appreciate them immensely the longer your trips!

Hope you find that V50..and I'm sorry to hear that apparently 2011 is the last year for the V50 here...not too surprising since the beautiful V60 is out elsewhere.....boy, I'd love a V60 T6 AWD !

Rick
      '15.5 Volvo V60 XC Platinum CPO
      '15 MINI Roadster S
      (Former: 1980 245 DL 4 speed OD; 2005 V50 T5 AWD GT
      OSD June 2005)

You found me!

We'll see what happens. Honestly, the sales guys don't seem too "hungry" to order a V50 for us. I've never quite experienced this kind of slow behavior. I guess they want to sell what is on their lot and that is that for now.

I used to be in sales, sort of, I helped people find jobs and if I was as slow as these guys I'd never have been able to make anyone happy. So far the only quick response has been through an Internet thing I did with Consumer Reports...

Maybe this is a sign that we should go for that 2008 after New Years when they may be ready to lower their price?

I'm glad to hear you still love your V50's comfort, miata13!

My dealer bent over backwards to find mine. Is there another dealership that you can try?
      Stan

Hi, AutoGeek. So far we have been contacted by a number... We've physically visited two. Been given "best prices" by 4. The truly best price is from one that is about 1 and 1/2 hours away. We would prefer to "deal" with one who was closer for obvious reasons - such a loaner cars, etc. For some odd reason the very local guy just doesn't make much effort to get back to us with more information... We asked about the availability of OSD and the salesman happens to be in charge of OSD...called him in the morning, spoke briefly, and he never called back. Then late yesterday afternoon, I was contacted by another a little farther north, who supposedly will match our best price. We shall see what today brings.

I don't mean to sound like a whiner...but I guess I do. It's just strange that the more local ones aren't the fastest off the mark.

The farthest afield one said he would guarantee the prices through this year. I don't know that the Volvo warranties and wear and tear, etc., protection is going to change on January 1st but that, so far, is the pressure to buy before 2011. Time is getting a bit close.

We'll see. Perhaps many are concentrating on selling and moving what they have on their lots, and not that interested in placing an order. I know it's a tough job.

My 2007 V50 T5 FWD is the most reliable car I have ever owned -- and I have owned a lot of European cars. To date, it has never required a single repair, just routine maintenance and a new set of tires.

As regards Volvo dealers, I found the several closest to me to be totally useless. I gladly drive the 85 miles to my preferred dealer, where I not only got the best deal on my V50 but on two subsequent Volvo purchases as well -- and I am presently closing a deal on my fourth Volvo from them. They also provide a high level of service and commitment to customer satisfaction. Sometimes it is just worthwhile to be willing to travel some distance in order to have a good Volvo dealer experience.
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5; 1981 245 DL

Appreciate your taking the time to write, volvobuff! Hope springs eternal and hopefully we'll get somewhere in the next couple of days.

If your local dealer can't be arsed to call you back on the possibility he'll get a sale, I'd walk away. If he's got that couldn't-care-less attitude towards a new customer I wonder what his after-sales service is like - I think I'd prefer not to find out!!!

Unless he is living in some parallel universe which has not gone through an economic downturn, he is a fool to let possible sales slip away. I wonder how much longer he'll remain a car dealer with a shoddy attitude like that?......

Bob, I couldn't agree with you more and just read your comment and volvobuff's aloud.

I'll report back and thank you all for both your factual information and your encouragement - perhaps you all should start selling these cars? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by BobV50 View Post
      If your local dealer can't be arsed to call you back on the possibility he'll get a sale, I'd walk away. If he's got that couldn't-care-less attitude towards a new customer I wonder what his after-sales service is like - I think I'd prefer not to find out!!!
      Exactly right!

Unless he is living in some parallel universe which has not gone through an economic downturn, he is a fool to let possible sales slip away. I wonder how much longer he'll remain a car dealer with a shoddy attitude like that?......
      There is another factor at issue here. Most auto dealerships make a good deal more money selling auction-bought used cars off their lot than selling new cars, especially custom-ordered ones. They typically make thousands on a used car, but only a few hundred on a new car. New cars give a dealership a cachet, but they are not the primary profit center.
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5; 1981 245 DL

Very true. Dealerships make most of their money off used cars, followed by service, then usually parts and lastly new cars.

I think Volvo's biggest downfall in North America is the lack of marketing. You rarely ever see any commercials or advertizing on Volvo.
      2012 Mazda CX-7
      Sold - 2008 S40 T5 AWD

Im still loving mine!

stevo,
      The one on the right needs to stop with the steroids!!!!

Nice looking Scooby there.

Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
      Exactly right!

There is another factor at issue here. Most auto dealerships make a good deal more money selling auction-bought used cars off their lot than selling new cars, especially custom-ordered ones. They typically make thousands on a used car, but only a few hundred on a new car. New cars give a dealership a cachet, but they are not the primary profit center.
      I suppose that is be true for many dealerships. By the looks of the used inventory on most there are few and far between V50s...unless some 2.4i versions. As for our experiences with most of these dealers, it has been completely different from my experiences with my MINI dealer.

But no more complaining! We'll see what happens and I'll report back if and when we finally do get a new or used Volvo V50.

Happy new year to you all and may it bring many problem free and fun miles of driving, good health and peace!

P.S. Steve - she's a beauty!!

I've got an 04.5 S40 T5 and I'm at 168K with no major issues...so far just regular maintainence, brakes, a battery and struts....I would definitely recommend shopping around for the best priced dealer in your area for maintenance because regular service can vary a whole lot from one to another. Hope that helps.

A belated thank you kapitlxs!

Our journey of trying to buy a V50 has been interesting, to say the least. We were oh so close but for some reason (as stated ad nauseum above) only about one dealer not even near us came back with a really good offer and seemed interested. My enthusiasm dimmed daily and I found a superb deal on a certified 2010 MINI Cooper which I couldn't resist. I am, after all, a MINI cult follower. ;-)

I'm now back to thinking about a used Volvo - a certified one - which I hope to see on Sunday. I may post a coupe of questions about that in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by otra View Post
      A belated thank you kapitlxs!

Our journey of trying to buy a V50 has been interesting, to say the least. We were oh so close but for some reason (as stated ad nauseum above) only about one dealer not even near us came back with a really good offer and seemed interested. My enthusiasm dimmed daily and I found a superb deal on a certified 2010 MINI Cooper which I couldn't resist. I am, after all, a MINI cult follower. ;-)

I'm now back to thinking about a used Volvo - a certified one - which I hope to see on Sunday. I may post a coupe of questions about that in another thread.

Though I would consider a Mini for the fun of it for a next car I can't imagine comparing a v50 with a Mini... Way too different animals...
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

I know, they're completely different. I'd trade in my bigger MINI - the Clubman if I go down this road...

When I think about driving super long distances, as in say 8 to 12 or more hours, I often feel as though I'd enjoy a bit more comfort. Plus, the V50 would hold more and I like to believe that Volvos still go on forever.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
      Though I would consider a Mini for the fun of it for a next car I can't imagine comparing a v50 with a Mini... Way too different animals...
      The New MINI Countryman All4, although offering a bit less rear storage COULD be a possible V50 T5 AWD substitute...just depends on one's needs. Gave one a test drive...much more peppy/responsive "fun" than our V50..but I suspect not as smooth a distance cruiser. But you CAN get the All4 with a 6 speed manual transmission too....

With no AWD V50 now available....and V50's likely toast after the 2011 model year here in the US, that All4 is on my short list...among some others. Would still LOVE to see the V60 T6 AWD come her....that would be awesome....and smooth out that 5 cylinder thrum.

Bob....know you're listening....if you hear it's coming to the US, drop me a line ASAP
      '15.5 Volvo V60 XC Platinum CPO
      '15 MINI Roadster S
      (Former: 1980 245 DL 4 speed OD; 2005 V50 T5 AWD GT
      OSD June 2005)

Sorry guys/gals, been out of the loop a bit. Just back from Las Vegas and a busy few days at CES. Saw the new V60 ad on UK the other day. Certainly looked a bit more handsome than in the flesh. Maybe the colour makes all the difference (it was black) while the one I have seen at the dealer was grey. Still can't get the similarity of it and the Ford Mondeo out of my head. Ah well.

Just waiting for the 2011 season of the WRC to start - see how the Mini Countryman WRC gets on. Must say as a ultra compact 4WD buggy it looks good - the in-laws are looking for a smaller 4x4 (downsizing from a Honda CRV) and am visiting them this weekend, so may plant a few seeds ;o)

I suppose I should update here - we placed an order for a 2011 V50 on Monday. Discovered a dealership that was owned by the same family as my MINI dealer and thus, we got a pretty good price on a trade in..and the dealership appears to have a good atmosphere. They were interested, polite and helpful.

I'm a diehard MINI fan. I have two now...but this V50 is so comfortable that, sorry to say it, the MINI Countryman can't hold a candle to the comfort and quiet, plus we really wanted a completely flat folding set of back seats. Don't get me wrong the Countryman is a nice car.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I'm glad I'm getting a V50 before they stop selling them here in the states.

Good to hear you sorted your dilemma out! Just home from an 500 mile round trip with no aches or pains. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the V50 for comfort and load carrying. I know I am...

Thanks, Bob - good to hear your 500 mile review, too! ;-)

Thumbs up Really Like the R Version Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobV50 View Post
      Sorry guys/gals, been out of the loop a bit. Just back from Las Vegas and a busy few days at CES. Saw the new V60 ad on UK the other day. Certainly looked a bit more handsome than in the flesh. Maybe the colour makes all the difference (it was black) while the one I have seen at the dealer was grey. Still can't get the similarity of it and the Ford Mondeo out of my head. Ah well.

Just waiting for the 2011 season of the WRC to start - see how the Mini Countryman WRC gets on. Must say as a ultra compact 4WD buggy it looks good - the in-laws are looking for a smaller 4x4 (downsizing from a Honda CRV) and am visiting them this weekend, so may plant a few seeds ;o)

OK
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Well Looks like there will be plenty of Good Parts for Years to come !
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast