Fuel Pump Control Module
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fuel Pump Control Module

First day on Swedespeed so please forgive any of my mistakes.

I have a 2004 Volvo S60 2.5T with about 80k miles.

The other night the car stalled on me. Took it to the dealership and they said that the fuel pressure sensor and the fuel pump control module are bad. And needed $1300 to replace both.

I took it to an independent who came to the same conclusion after diagnostics, but he said that he has never seen a fuel pump control module go bad. He has been in business for 30+ years.

I called IPD and they have never seen a fuel pump control module go bad. So now I am looking for information this fuel pump control module. How difficult is it to replace? Where can I find replacement procedures? I can't find anything in VADIS on replacement steps.

Is there something that could be causing the failure that is more likely of a culprit?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

pem should only be on late 2004 and 2005 and up cars. very easy to replace it is attached to the gas tank next to the fuel filter on the 04, 05 and up its in the trunk. just held on by clips. they dont know what they are talking about they go bad all the time volvo even has a recall on the pem on the s40/v50 cars

Thank you for the information.

I have a few follow up questions if you don't mind.
      What does PEM stand for?
      Do I need to drop the gas tank to replace or is it reachable from beneath the vehicle?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

PEM fuel (pump eletronic module) no need to drop the tank its on a plastic bracket on the side of the tank next to the fuel filter on late 04s. are you sure it has been diag right, there is a recall on the fuel rail sensor so that should be free and it could be the fuel pump that is faulty. is there any codes for the pump module???
      Last edited by vlvo-tech; 01-06-2011 at 07:30 AM.

The mechanic showed me the diagnostic results from VADIS that showed the pump module was bad. Duty cycle is supposed to be approx. 35% and mine is at .14%. I had a failure at both the fuel pressure sensor and at the control module. Unfortunately my pressure is outside of the recall range.

I believe the diagnostic code for the pump module is 2120. I am new to all of this so I apologize if this doesn't make sense.....first time user of VADIS.

i would replace the rail sensor first and see what changes

2005 VOLVO S40 RECALL - #08V033000
      ON CERTAIN VEHICLES SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, REOCCURRING, LONG-TERM EXPOSURE TO CERTAIN ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS SUCH AS SALTY-WET CONDITIONS, IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE PUMP ELECTRONIC MODULE (PEM) TO BECOME CORRODED INTERNALLY. THIS CAN CAUSE A FAULTY SIGNAL TO THE FUEL PUMP, RESULTING IN LOW OR NO FUEL PRESSURE TO THE ENGINE.

Why not recall S60 for this problem? I just replaced mine last week!!!
      Sold 5/5/2014 - 05 S60 2.4: 225/40/18 Conti DWS, Elbrus I05 18X8 Wheels, SACHS/Eibach Performance Suspension Kit, UR 25mm Rear Sway Bar, UR Front Strut Bar, Front EBC Yellowstuff, Rear EBC Redstuff, 305mm Centric High Carbon Rotors, Techna-Fit SS Lines with SuperBlue Fluid, K&N Filter, Custom Magnaflow Cat-back, DDM 35w 4500k HID, 20% Llumar Tint, USA SPEC IPod Adapter

Hi friends,
      The dealer says I need a new PEM fuel module for my 2005-XC70. Can anyone tell me where this is located? I've heard different stories, ( under the wheel well, on top on the gas tank, beside the gas tank, under the seats, etc.) Anyone know the straight goods on a 2005 XC70??
      Thanks

Greetings from Maui Hawaii
      I have 2009 Xc70 T6 and having starting issues on occasion. Reading my Bluedriver when this issue happens my fuel pressure is at 30 or 32 psi & when its running strong about 58 PSI.

I have been searching for info on locating the Fuel Pump Control Module on my wagon. Any ideas & help would be greatly apprenticed. Is this the answer to my starting issue OR is the fuel pump in the tank the problem?
      Replacing the PEM seems allot easier & from the forum posts I have read probably more of the issue.

Thank you so much.
      Tad

Quote Originally Posted by vlvo-tech View Post
      i would replace the rail sensor first and see what changes
      What he said ^. If that doesn't fix it, source a good used PEM. Especially from a junk yard in a SW state where there is no salt on the roads in winter. It isn't a hard job and there is no programming required.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiVolvoGuy View Post
      Greetings from Maui Hawaii
      I have 2009 Xc70 T6 and having starting issues on occasion. Reading my Bluedriver when this issue happens my fuel pressure is at 30 or 32 psi & when its running strong about 58 PSI.

I have been searching for info on locating the Fuel Pump Control Module on my wagon. Any ideas & help would be greatly apprenticed. Is this the answer to my starting issue OR is the fuel pump in the tank the problem?
      Replacing the PEM seems allot easier & from the forum posts I have read probably more of the issue.

Thank you so much.
      Tad

UPDATE 03-05-20
      So I found the PEM on my car. What a hassle. After looking in TEN different spots I jacked up the car, undid the metal protective plates. I Put a hydrolic jack with a board under Driver side & undid TWO large bolts dropping gas tank 5 inches. Was just enough for me to get my hands on PEM & take a picture with cellphone of label. Ordering a new PEM tomorrow.

Awaiting Approval

not starting ....sometimes

Hello, new here but i have a 2008 xc70 and i have been having issues that i can't seem to get resolved.

had my car do something weird when i pushed her pretty hard to get into traffic. A weird WHOOSH sound and it ran until i got off the highway and pulled into a parking lot where it shut down. After trying for several minuets to get it running i got it to run enough to get to a parking spot. I removed the battery cable and gave it a couple of minuets, reconnected it and it started right up and got me home.

I next rented a code reader and it had a fuel rail pressure sensor fault. I replaced that and it kept throwing the 2 lean bank codes. I took it to a mechanic and he replaced the PCV box (oil separator) that had a torn diaphragm. I thought i was good to go but......................70 miles and a potty break later check engine light is back on. Same lean bank codes (Po171 P0174) Took it back to the mechanic and he changed the battery, and did a smoke test and found a couple small air leaks replaced a couple of o rings to fix the air leaks, and same thing. The care drives fine runs good but when i start it every day or 2 or 3 it will not want to start and idle and will die several times until i can get the rpm's up to 3000 or so then it will start to run and i can drive it and it will clear up and run good. one other thing my gas gauge is now acting up. I "broke down" and my fuel gauge showed over 1/4 of a tank. i put gas in it and it started right up.

I have done some research and am leaning towards the fuel control unit. Thoughts???? how is this confirmed/diagnosed Do i get to it from the bottom or from the top? they are $300 What are the thoughts of getting a used one from ebay or such?? Thanks for any help.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements