Roof Rack foot question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Roof Rack foot question

I bought a Thule rack system when i purchaced my SR a few months ago, and just noticed its different from all the other ones i've seen on the forum. My feet actually use pads and hold down on the roof (i'm worried about getting sand and road debris under them and having the pads act as sand paper on my perfect paint. )

is there any benifit to the other style foot, I'm looking for pictures currently online, i'll post up what i mean when i come accross them.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Link to the Other feet in question.. should i go searching for this kind? I'm just worried i'm going to ruin my paint. and this foot (blow) doesnt look like it has much contact area. Pros / cons of it??!??

https://www.swedespeed.com/cgi-bin/pr...=2;img=003.jpg

The other type of roof rail (made exclusively for Volvo - Volvo branded, etc) is made specifically to fit inside the empty channel along your roof line. The feet sit just next to the clamping point, and are hidden from view (and much smaller). IF the rack is not properly tightened and sand/dirt/debris does get inside, it will not be visible.

I would go get the correct ones

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

any idea how much they go for. Everything Thule is so dam expensive.. errrr.

Check with John at BVV - I believe there are still rebates on ordering them new from the factory.
      FOR SALE: 2006 XC70, White/(Atacama)
      Current: 2016 XC90 T6
      Former: 2007 S60R M66, 2001 V70 T5M, 1998 S70 T5-SE (heavily modded), 1998 Saffron V70R, 1995 855T,1995 854 Cream Yellow/Charcoal T5-R, 1989 780 Bertone

I have the thule rack feet you show on the picture with the pads and they don't scratch the paint at all, BUT I don't keep the rack installed all the time.

I only install the rack when needed, like on weekends, and comes off when not needed.

So save money and use the ones you have already.
      Last edited by jda2000; 02-10-2011 at 10:49 PM.
      2004 V70 2.5T
      2001 V70 T5

Quote Originally Posted by jda2000 View Post
      I have the thule rack feet you show on the picture and they don't scratch the paint at all, BUT I don't keep the rack installed all the time.

I only install the rack when I needed, like on weekends and comes off when not needed.
      i dont plan to keep it on for months on end but its snowy sandy crappy weather up here now and it will prob be on for a week or so, ski trips and such.
      the PO used the rack all the time and there are no marks from the feet. but he never used it durring the winter just nice weather and then it was removed.
      i'm going to look into getting the factory feet, it will make me feeel more comfortable using it in this crappy weather.

3m clear bra or Xpel where those pads go
      2003 S60 T5M - bilstein sport/eibach, sways, exhaust, mini h1 projectors, and other minor touches

That's a brilliant idea!

The factory bars are purdy though I used to run them all winter with zero issues.
      FOR SALE: 2006 XC70, White/(Atacama)
      Current: 2016 XC90 T6
      Former: 2007 S60R M66, 2001 V70 T5M, 1998 S70 T5-SE (heavily modded), 1998 Saffron V70R, 1995 855T,1995 854 Cream Yellow/Charcoal T5-R, 1989 780 Bertone

Quote Originally Posted by SwedeSR View Post
      any idea how much they go for. Everything Thule is so dam expensive.. errrr.
      If you decide you want to go with Volvo specific load bars I have a used set for S60's that I mistakenly thought would fit my P2 V70. PM me if you might be interested.
      2001 V70 T5 M56 Black on Charcoal.
      -Collin

Quote Originally Posted by JetMech View Post
      If you decide you want to go with Volvo specific load bars I have a used set for S60's that I mistakenly thought would fit my P2 V70. PM me if you might be interested.
      Are these still available? I am in Atlanta and would love to buy!

Quote Originally Posted by risk0827 View Post
      Are these still available? I am in Atlanta and would love to buy!
      Still available! PM sent.
      2001 V70 T5 M56 Black on Charcoal.
      -Collin

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements