What did you do to your S80 today?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

What did you do to your S80 today?

I didn't want to post in a forum with wimpy five bangers -- everyone knows real men drive inline sixes. So I thought I start one of those "whatcha do to your ride today" threads for the S80.

The preheating pipe on my non-turbo rubs against the lower rad hose, which is also very close to the ground. Had me worried this winter when I was plowing snow with the front of my car, so I decided to do something about it.

Stainless steel braiding.
      Last edited by Crito; 08-17-2011 at 03:56 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I decided I didn't like that flimsy preheating pipe rubbing against the side of the motor either.

If you look really closely you can also see where I repaired frayed wires for the transmission... the blue conduit under the airbox, not the blue conduit up top, which had also become brittle.

Trans cooler line got new o-rings and a green clip that I broke doing the flush. Blue ground wire I did a year or two ago.

Rotors and pads all the way around. Haven't done the timing belt yet though... will seek professional assistance on that one since the parts are different and I'm not terribly comfortable with it.

I think I'm ready to hit the road again.
      Last edited by Crito; 08-17-2011 at 03:09 AM.

Ordered some clear side markers for it off of the good ol' ebay, lol. Figured there's no reason to have ONE set of orange lenses on an otherwise clear-lensed car.

Now to just find some wheels and toss the B&Gs on...
      Jeff - Boston, MA

2000 Volvo S80 2.9--- Say what you will, I've heard it all. "Blablabla, S80s are crap, blablabla". Whatever. DIAF.

*Bone-stock for now. Wheels soon. Drop sooner. Other... Stuff... Later.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Installing the USA-SPEC ipod adapter today with a buddy, so that'll be fun.

To Do List:

- Throw the fog lights in and go over to the dealer to have them download the software.
      - Have them turn the DRLs off too while they're in there

- Find someone who'll throw the B&G springs on for the cheap, lol

- Replace the air filter and spark plugs this weekend when they arrive
      Jeff - Boston, MA

2000 Volvo S80 2.9--- Say what you will, I've heard it all. "Blablabla, S80s are crap, blablabla". Whatever. DIAF.

Quote Originally Posted by Crito View Post
      I didn't want to post in a forum with wimpy five bangers; everyone knows real men drive inline sixes. So I thought I start one of those "whatcha do to your ride today" threads for the S80.
      Oops, guess you forgot there are 5-cyls here! :P

I changed the oil & filter, checked the angle gear fluid, replaced the lower tranny linkage, and changed the spark plugs. For bonus points, I worked on the 240 race car, changing out the starter for a lighter GR version, fabricated a new FI harness and welded in a custom wastegate linkage.

Quote Originally Posted by 11110000 View Post
      Oops, guess you forgot there are 5-cyls here! :P

I changed the oil & filter, checked the angle gear fluid, replaced the lower tranny linkage, and changed the spark plugs. For bonus points, I worked on the 240 race car, changing out the starter for a lighter GR version, fabricated a new FI harness and welded in a custom wastegate linkage.
      Nice! Sounds like a happy little tune-up. I've got some new plugs that I need to toss in there sooner than later.

Anyone done any suspension work? Still have to toss my springs on, but I'm hesitant to start unbolting things; I haven't done mich work on the P2s....
      Jeff - Boston, MA

I've done everything on the suspensions of my older Volvos, but nothing yet on the S80.

For springs, the hardest part is usually getting the top nut off the front struts. Twice, I have had to take strut assemblies to the local shop to let them hit the nut with an impact wrench. And of course, spring compressors are a must.

Quote Originally Posted by 11110000 View Post
      I've done everything on the suspensions of my older Volvos, but nothing yet on the S80.

For springs, the hardest part is usually getting the top nut off the front struts. Twice, I have had to take strut assemblies to the local shop to let them hit the nut with an impact wrench. And of course, spring compressors are a must.

Yeah... I'd be okay maybe mucking about with the fronts, but from what I've heard, the rears are somewhat difficult.

I wish I knew someone local/a local shop that wouldn't rape me on the hourly rate/charges to slap the B&Gs on
      Jeff - Boston, MA

Popped on a set of Nordic rotors up front with Hawk HPS pads last night. Got the pads bedded in this morning, and they have got some serious bite!

12" rotors may not be as awesome as the 13" Rs, but them's still some big, beefy brakes!

Next up will be an experiment to see if I can service the unserviceable OEM swaybar links!

Nice! Gotta love that extra bit of stopping

... I'm currently looking to trade mine in for either a T6 or a 2.5T. I know there's the transmission issues and all, but from what I've heard, if you stay true to the GM transmission service schedule, everything is as right as rain. I'm just tired of having a car that seems all but too sluggish. No fun
      Jeff - Boston, MA

Recently added KW coilovers, and modified Eibach lowering coils.

@ Volvoriffic : That is one sweede S80 ! Thanks for sharing the pic . You just have to upgrade the tail light with 05 s80 with that LED taillight .
      01 Volvo V70 T5 ASR/Premium/Cold weather/Navi/ DSTC/OEM Window shade/17" Black Pegs
      95 Nissan Pathfinder LE "The Snow Beast" 150 K
      PAST VOLVOS : 88 740/89 760 V6/90 760 T
      On Instagram : Cub740
      Google+ : Cub740

Well, the end link issue turned out to be one joint with a split boot - anything with a boot tends to die quickly after it splits, so there was no saving this one. Replaced them with Mahle HDs. Ahhh, the car is quiet once more!

Passenger door lock actuator crapped out on me as well. I extracted it, split it apart and found a cheap plastic gear had broken. I repaired the gear with the finest plastic adhesive available, but it could not stand the torque of the little electric motor. I pulled a good unit from the scrapyard and replaced it. It was sad to see such a nice early S80 in the yard - no visible body damage, beautiful black paint. It was a T6, so maybe one too many transmissions got 'lunched.'

@Volvoriiffic, what brand and model are those wheels? specs?

@volvoriffic, how did you get that negative camber on the rears? Does it make sense on a FWD?
      S80 T6 2001 IPD Tune w/torque delete, Ferrita Dual 2.5" DP/CB 3" exhaust, Volvo Tranny cooler, Bilstein HD's, H&R Springs, IPD Anti-swaybars, IPD End-links, IPD Skid Plate, AEM Water/Methanol kit, IPD Lower Tranny Mount, Ultra Racing Front & Rear Strut Tower Braces, and Front and Rear undercarriage braces, Heico Front Spoilers, 17x8 R Pegs, R Calipers and Rotors, Front Girodisc, 5 & 10 mm H&R spacers, etc...

FWIW, I'm VERY pleased with the Zimmermann rotors. The Z-coat stuff really does stop rust dead. Pads I'm probably going to dump for ceramics tho.

EDIT: OH, and she just turned over 161,000 miles with no warning lights. Hard to believe but only burned about half a quart during my last ~6,000 mile oil change interval (was mostly interstate driving tho.) Old 5.0L V8 Bronco would burn that much oil every 1,500 miles and it had less than 100K on the clock. Volvo must have some magical frickin' elves making piston rings for them, or something like that... LOL
      Last edited by Crito; 08-17-2011 at 04:12 AM.

@Vikes740 -- Thank you.. I have the '06 headlights and I've been sniffing at the '06 tail update, however I've not confirmed the LED brake lights in the 04+ tails will set off the bulb out sensor in the '99-03 cars.

@iSuck -- The wheels are 20x10 TSW Zolders that were originally 5x112 - +42ET, but were redrilled to 108. Corrected offsets on my car are +27ET front, and +7ET rear. (quarters have been rolled and yanked somewhere over 1")

@SkyWriter -- The front suspension is on KW coilovers and sits at -1.1 degrees which is within factory spec. There is nothing you can do about the rear camber on the S80. Mine has been lowered about 75mm in the rear, and the camber is -3.5 degrees, which is a couple degrees out of spec. This is the reason why you can't find anything lower than 40mm for the rear of the first gen S80. It might not be for everyone, but I just needed to see one of these completely slammed. It's the lowest static S80 known worldwide thus far.
      Last edited by Volvoriffic; 08-19-2011 at 08:11 AM.

yeah it looks sweet! but, it doesn't look comfortable.

I see, I didn't know all that camber came from just lowering. i thought you took it farther for some reason. so, i was wondering what it did for you, since it won't help with understeer IFAIK.
      S80 T6 2001 IPD Tune w/torque delete, Ferrita Dual 2.5" DP/CB 3" exhaust, Volvo Tranny cooler, Bilstein HD's, H&R Springs, IPD Anti-swaybars, IPD End-links, IPD Skid Plate, AEM Water/Methanol kit, IPD Lower Tranny Mount, Ultra Racing Front & Rear Strut Tower Braces, and Front and Rear undercarriage braces, Heico Front Spoilers, 17x8 R Pegs, R Calipers and Rotors, Front Girodisc, 5 & 10 mm H&R spacers, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
      yeah it looks sweet! but, it doesn't look comfortable.

I see, I didn't know all that camber came from just lowering. i thought you took it farther for some reason. so, i was wondering what it did for you, since it won't help with understeer IFAIK.
      My S80 was built with the idea of fashion, not function. Remarkably, the car does ride quite well at this height. Last year, I lowered the car by cutting the B&G lowering springs and every time I hit a bump or a manhole, the car reacted in a very unpleasant way, not to mention, my kidneys were getting sore rather quickly. I ended up installing another set of Eibach lowering springs on the car and driving it for a year while yearning to lower it properly.

The full KW kit includes front coilovers, and 40mm lowering springs for the rear which wasn't going to work for me, so I called KW and ordered the front coilovers as a parts only order from Germany. For the price of 4 sets of lowering springs, I ended up installing the front pair on the car and I cannot say enough good things about the KW coilovers...they are designed very well, and perform wonderfully. This setup took my caster a little bit out of spec, but I found this to be a major improvement as the car is so much more stable at highway speeds.
      Last edited by Volvoriffic; 08-21-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Heck, I wouldn't mind "leveling springs" that bump the height up quarter inch. Am planning on going with Monroe struts when I find a local mechanic I trust enough not to sabotage me. They're supposed to be a little stiffer, in addition to being cheap as dirt.

I was thinking of doing a full write-up on tomorrows (planned) endlink installation but not feeling any motivation lately. Will post a couple pics of the surgery in this thread just fer yer amusement tho (so the pros with air tools can laugh at the amateur mech with busted knuckles.) I'm using IPD's heavy duty units but unfortunately ordered before they got the snazzy new blue boots. -- Hey, so I like to dress my Volvo up a bit, sue me.

EDIT: Maybe Tuesday, sinus infection trumps endlink install, plus gives PB Blaster (The Penetrating Catalyst, lol) plenty of time to do its magic.
      Last edited by Crito; 08-22-2011 at 08:57 AM.

@volvoriffic I wanted to try the KW or Olins, but went with Bilsteins for simplicity. I'm not sorry though, they're a little stiff for massachusetts roads, but for highway they really grip the road. The original shock, while comfortable, were scary on the highway.

@crito I've have a couple of Heavy duty endlnks. My current ones are the IPD HD's. All are easy to put on the front, but the rears are never easy. There's just not enough clearance to make it simple. Note, I have the use of a full lift, I don't know how hard they'll be without one. The rears are so short, i'm not sure it's worth changing out the stock ones with heavy duty.

I bought two more jackstands so shouldn't be a prob this time around. Would have helped to have one of IPD's wheel install guides too, much easier than bear-hugging the @!#$ tire to get it back on. Volvo really should include these things in the bag with the tow hook.

EDIT: Maybe tomorrow endlinks... have a pine tree stuck between my eyes.
      @S(eck)80 -- If those are the same clear side markers I bought on fleaBay (and I'm pretty sure they are since only one dude sells them, last I checked) be careful to note the max wattage written on them. I put some cool looking xenon white 194 bulbs I bought at Pep Boy (for like $7 each too) and melted my first set. Oops
      Last edited by Crito; 08-23-2011 at 12:07 PM.

@crito yeah wheel pins are a must. Especially if you have spacers!

@crito yeah wheel pins are a must. Especially if you have spacers!
      No spacers but am planning on going with dedicated winter tires so will need to swap them out at least twice a year. Still think it should be standard equipment though. If it was such a pain in my garage I'd hate to have to do it on a gravel road in the dark.

Anywho, tomorrow I put her up on four spankin' new orange Harbor Freight stands, with my new Harbor Freight racing jack... man, that place should have their own credit card or bank or something. Luckily they have like a permanent sale going on, and lots of coupons.

shiny (chrome?) intake; sweet!

^^^ Stock manifold which has been polished

Just when you think everything is going fine.... I managed to break an impact-wrench rated 5mm hex socket putting in IPD's endlinks. Their instructions stink, you can't use a torque wrench on the ball part. You'll also need an 18mm socket to remove OEM but a 19mm open-ended wrench to put in new ones and of course they cold have saved me a lot of trouble by using star bits instead of requiring an allen wrench (hex.) Anywho... side hop is gone.

IPD endlinks are pretty good. For the front, I think I'll go back to my huge QBM's next summer.

@osineo BTW with the bilsteins, have you busted through your strut tower mounts yet? I'm on my forth set; 2 OEM, and 2 IPD HD's.

@osineo BTW with the bilsteins, have you busted through your strut tower mounts yet? I'm on my forth set; 2 OEM, and 2 IPD HD's.
      Yep. Mine usually last about 1 - 1 1/2 years . Now I just install them every spring when I am replacing my winter tires with my summer tires.
      I've tried I've tried OEM, IPD and X90's and they all seem to last about the same. I'm curious to know how well the KW's on Volvoriffic's car work - because I don't think that the KW's use the stock spring seats. (but I could be wrong) Maybe he'll chime in.

BTW, I pulling the exhaust manifolds, and boy that turbo side exhaust port is tiny. When you did your custom wheel work to the turbo, did you also port the exhaust manifold or did you leave it stock?

The HD's definitely last longer than OEM, but I wonder if it's the stiffness of the struts or they need to be adjusted for the drop from the springs; when they pop the mounts, they stick up as far as the springs drop the frame. when i ordered/installed them years ago IPD only had one model of HD, not one for lowered and one for stock height. what did you get? except for the strut mounts the struts work very well for me.

As it is i have better uses for $800

I have the HD struts for the lowered car installed and I still have to replace spring seats annually. Maybe it's due to the Chicago potholes...

As it is i have better uses for $800

$10 grand ?!
      Now, THAT'S an expensive hobby.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast