SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Brake Pedal Travel and Feel; Acceleration and Steering Pedal Feel

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  oldschoolvolvo 
#1 ·
Been driving our 2000 BMW 528i for a while and compared to our S70, the S70 has I'd say 1 to 2cm of brake pedal travel before the brakes fully engage. Like when I tap the brakes lightly, you can feel that the brake pads are rubbing against the motor as there's more deceleration G than when you just lift your foot off the throttle. However full brake engagement does not occur till after that 1cm to 2cm of travel.

Is there a way to minimize this, besides by bleeding the brakes? I like how firm the BMW brakes feel and it'd be great if the Volvo can match the BMW's pedal feel. The only downside is that it takes a bit getting used to when trying to brake and stop smoothly.

And is it also possible to make the acceleration pedal feel more firm? The S70's pedal is notoriously light compared to the BMW. Same goes for the steering. The 850's pedal and steering feel is so much better than the S70.

#2 ·
Bleed the brakes, new fluid, new pads, best you'll get. Rebuild the calipers if needed.

as for the accelerator, mine is REALLY nice and stiff, always has been, i've never touched it.

Theoretically if you want it stiffer I suppose you could just put a stronger return spring on, shouldn't be too hard.

#3 ·
I wonder if some of the difference in accelerator pedal feel is the S70 has an ETM, whereas the 850 has a conventional throttle cable? I've never driven a 99 or 00 x70, so I can't say for sure, but I think that'd have something to do with it

#4 ·
You might consider trying some breaded steel brake lines if you haven't already. They can help provide a stiffer pedal as the mesh prevents the flexible portions of the hose from expanding while under pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.