Comparison of iPhone4 Connection Methods with Sensus
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Comparison of iPhone4 Connection Methods with Sensus

As I patiently wait for my delivery, I have noted the various methods people are using to connect their iPhone in their XC60. As I understand it from this forum, user manual, and showroom trials there are 3 methods as follows:

1. Connect using the USB port: This potentially should be the best sounding connection but appears to limit the user interface to the Sensus system. This allows the equivalent of the iPod player functionality but may preclude using apps such as Pandora since the touch screen is disabled. It does let you access Voice Control by holding down the Home button. Track information will display only on the Sensus screen.

Open questions:
      1a. Can one use streaming applications such as Pandora and if so how?
      1b. Is there any way to access the touch screen controls when connected with USB?
      1c. Can one still use the iPhone paired to Sensus via bluetooth for calls?

2. Connect using the AUX Port: This can be used either with a Dock-to-Mini adapter(best) or a Mini-Mini headphone adapter. This allows for full control of all your iPhone functions via the touch screen but would limit control from the Sensus system to volume and mute. Track information will not display on the Sensus screen but will on the iPhone.

Open question:
      2a. Does the AUX connector have the additional contact to support play. pause, and skip?

3. Connect using Bluetooth: This method allows for both control from the iPhone screen as well as from Sensus. However, it will only display generic track information on the Sensus system while full info is available on the iPhone. It will also support 3rd party applications such as Pandora. Finally, it may offer the least fidelity as compared to 1 and 2.

Open questions:
      3a. Has anyone compared the audio quality between 1 or 2 and Bluetooth with the Multimedia package and could share their results?
      3b. If the iPhone has been connected as a Bluetooth media player, what happens when a call comes in? Does one have to use the iPhone directly or is Sensus smart enough to switch to Handsfree mode?
      3c. I one wants to use the iPhone in both Handsfree and Media modes does it need to be paired twice - Media and Tel?

Finally if there are any methods or functionality that I missed please let me know.

Thanks,

Mark
      2011.5 XC60 3.2L Flamenco Red/Anthracite Black, Premium, Multimedia, Convenience, BLIS, Xenon + Custom Subwoofer

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This is a great start for a topic of interest to me.
      However, with no XC60 at this time, I am left to watch... and learn.
      2011.5 XC60 T6 - Xenons - BLISS - PCC - Convenience - Climate - Nordic Oak Stack - Ice White w Rear Skid and Side Scuff Plates, Mud Flaps, Sill Plates, R-Design Pedals
      MY XC60 T6's FUEL USAGE ->http://www.fuelly.com/driver/2011xc60t6/xc60

I can only address some.

Via USB you can use all phone functions except the iPod app - which is controlled by the car. You can use phone to trigger a call, or Mail or whatever. It works fine with Bluetooth calls this way. It just pauses the iPod. If you have the iPhone locked it will display track info on the lock screen. As you mentioned, no display at all in iPod app.

Via Aux headphone jack. You want the volume on the phone all the way up to maximize signal to noise. It sounds identical to USB in my experience. No track info and other limitations as you mentioned. Any streaming app works of course. This is my main method of normal use.

I have used Bluetooth streaming in a different vehicle. It does sound slightly worse, but not bad. Most annoying to me were occasional pops and cracks. Also no tracks, and control from the car was hinky. I do not know if those issues were iPhone or car.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription, Osmium Grey, Convenience, Vision, B&W, Air Susp, 22s
      2010 Volvo XC60 R-Design, Sapphire Black, Climate, Convenience, Multimedia
      2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, White Diamond Pearl (Sold)
      2004 Acura TSX, Satin Silver, 6MT, Nav (Sold)
      2006 Audi A3, Silver, Climate, Premium Pkg, Convenience, Nav, Bose, Open Sky (Sold)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kighter View Post
      I can only address some.

Via USB you can use all phone functions except the iPod app - which is controlled by the car. You can use phone to trigger a call, or Mail or whatever. It works fine with Bluetooth calls this way. It just pauses the iPod. If you have the iPhone locked it will display track info on the lock screen. As you mentioned, no display at all in iPod app.
      Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure I understand fully when you said that when connected via USB that you can use the phone to trigger Mail. How are you doing that? Regarding USB connected Bluetooth calls, are you using it paired with the TEL function or with a headset?

Mark
      2011.5 XC60 3.2L Flamenco Red/Anthracite Black, Premium, Multimedia, Convenience, BLIS, Xenon + Custom Subwoofer

iPhone plugged into USB cable. Paired with car via Bluetooth.

You can still push the home button on the phone and use it as normal. Everything works as always except for the iPod app. So while music is playing you do other stuff just fine.

When you place or receive a call, the music pauses and the call comes from the car (unless you use the phone and choose to disable handsfree).

If I'm placing a call to a common number, I just use the car interface to place it. But I'll usually use the phone interface to place a call to a # in my contacts. It's just easier for me. I don't have Sensus so can't do the voice thing - it might be even easier with the newer cars.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription, Osmium Grey, Convenience, Vision, B&W, Air Susp, 22s
      2006 Audi A3, Silver, Climate, Premium Pkg, Convenience, Nav, Bose, Open Sky (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by mark-sf View Post
      As I patiently wait for my delivery, I have noted the various methods people are using to connect their iPhone in their XC60. As I understand it from this forum, user manual, and showroom trials there are 3 methods as follows:

1. Connect using the USB port: This potentially should be the best sounding connection but appears to limit the user interface to the Sensus system. This allows the equivalent of the iPod player functionality but may preclude using apps such as Pandora since the touch screen is disabled. It does let you access Voice Control by holding down the Home button. Track information will display only on the Sensus screen.

Open questions:
      1a. Can one use streaming applications such as Pandora and if so how?
      1b. Is there any way to access the touch screen controls when connected with USB?
      1c. Can one still use the iPhone paired to Sensus via bluetooth for calls?

2. Connect using the AUX Port: This can be used either with a Dock-to-Mini adapter(best) or a Mini-Mini headphone adapter. This allows for full control of all your iPhone functions via the touch screen but would limit control from the Sensus system to volume and mute. Track information will not display on the Sensus screen but will on the iPhone.

Open question:
      2a. Does the AUX connector have the additional contact to support play. pause, and skip?

3. Connect using Bluetooth: This method allows for both control from the iPhone screen as well as from Sensus. However, it will only display generic track information on the Sensus system while full info is available on the iPhone. It will also support 3rd party applications such as Pandora. Finally, it may offer the least fidelity as compared to 1 and 2.

Open questions:
      3a. Has anyone compared the audio quality between 1 or 2 and Bluetooth with the Multimedia package and could share their results?
      3b. If the iPhone has been connected as a Bluetooth media player, what happens when a call comes in? Does one have to use the iPhone directly or is Sensus smart enough to switch to Handsfree mode?
      3c. I one wants to use the iPhone in both Handsfree and Media modes does it need to be paired twice - Media and Tel?

Finally if there are any methods or functionality that I missed please let me know.

Thanks,

Mark
      I have a few answers, and I'll test out the others at some point soon!

2a) No
      3a) Yes! Honestly, I think that the bluetooth streaming sounds comparable to CD quality or iPod via USB quality. I listened very carefully (and at high volumes) and it sounds pretty darn good. Downside is, all it displays on Sensus is "Track", but you CAN bump to the next song in your iPhone's playlist that you have selected. You can also go to the next track on Pandora (but you have no way of giving it a thumbs up or down).
      3b) It pauses the music and performs like a normal bluetooth connected call through the car's audio system.
      3c) Sort of: if you have more than one device in the car that has been paired before, you need to tell it which device to pair to for Tel and which device to pair to for Media. (I discovered this yesterday) - I also discovered yesterday that in a 2011 BMW, it is MUCH more complicated to use the iDrive system to pair phones/stream audio. (see side note)

Also: An advantage to streaming bluetooth, is that it is not as laggy as playing an iPod via USB and you can hear your email and text message tones through your car's speakers, but the downside is that you can't see the track info on the Sensus screen.

Sidenote: so a few days ago I posted to facebook about my accidental bluetooth streaming discovery! So my close friend who just leased a 2011 328i called yesterday and said "hey sooo I saw on your post that you can stream audio via bluetooth in your car, can you help me figure out how to do it in my BMW?" So I went and tried to figure it out - SOO much more complicated (although we eventually had success); you have to select from deep within menus whether you want your iPhone to be used for just phone or just audio, or phone and audio- So I'd definitely say the Sensus system, albeit with a few quirks, is a much simpler, more intuitive, user-friendly system.

2016 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Platinum
      2011 XC60 3.2 - Sold
      2006 S40 2.4i - Sold
      2000 S70 SE - Sold

Just curious - what is the iphone connectivity like in the pre-2011.5 models? Same features? no connectivity?

Thanks

My favorite feature; I listened to a lecture on youtube streaming over Bluetooth with an iPhone connected to Sensus on the way to pick my wife up from yoga the other day. I just kind of thought "Wonder if this works", fired it up, and sure enough it worked no problem.
      '04 V70 2.5t Titanium Edition
      '91 780 Bertone Coupe Turbo
      '87 Alfa Romeo Milano Platinum 2.5 with Verde Body

Quote Originally Posted by Kighter View Post
      iPhone plugged into USB cable. Paired with car via Bluetooth.

You can still push the home button on the phone and use it as normal. Everything works as always except for the iPod app. So while music is playing you do other stuff just fine.

When you place or receive a call, the music pauses and the call comes from the car (unless you use the phone and choose to disable handsfree).

If I'm placing a call to a common number, I just use the car interface to place it. But I'll usually use the phone interface to place a call to a # in my contacts. It's just easier for me. I don't have Sensus so can't do the voice thing - it might be even easier with the newer cars.
      This may have changed. On the Sensus that I tried, when connecting my IPhone 4 I got a white connect screen and no response to the Home button unless I held it long enough to activate Voice Control. What version of iOS are you running? I am running 4.3.

Thanks,

Mark

Interesting

iPhone 4 iOS 4.3. Pre-Sensus.

iOS 4.2.1 didn't work at all via USB.

How exactly is the information displayed on the SENSUS system when connected via USB? Does it show album art? Or just a text display of the track information?

Has anyone tried it with an Android phone to see if it works similar to the iPhone?

What I've noticed in the bluetooth streaming is lack of low end punch and high end clarity in the Premium Sound system. Nothing noticeable unless you're listening to something with a wide dynamic range.
      '04 V70 2.5t Titanium Edition
      '91 780 Bertone Coupe Turbo
      '87 Alfa Romeo Milano Platinum 2.5 with Verde Body

Works without issue on my HTC Evo
      Quote Originally Posted by superbike81 View Post
      How exactly is the information displayed on the SENSUS system when connected via USB? Does it show album art? Or just a text display of the track information?

Has anyone tried it with an Android phone to see if it works similar to the iPhone?

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements