Cracked windshield on 2010 XC60, please advise
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question Cracked windshield on 2010 XC60, please advise

Thanks to a staff person at REI, I now have a huge crack in my windshield (bigger than a dollar bill and radiating outward). According to USAA the windshield will need to be replaced entirely. They of course use Safelite Autoglass as their preferred repair shop. I'm a little concerned that Safelite won't know how to deal with the rain sensors and city safety equipment. I've put a call in to my service advisor at the local Volvo dealer, but I won't likely hear back from him until next week. Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just curious. Who is REI?

Outdoor goods superstore. Bikes, camping, clothes, travel gear, etc.

What happened sonarfarb? Putting something on top and dropped it or something?
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription, Osmium Grey, Convenience, Vision, B&W, Air Susp, 22s
      2010 Volvo XC60 R-Design, Sapphire Black, Climate, Convenience, Multimedia
      2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, White Diamond Pearl (Sold)
      2004 Acura TSX, Satin Silver, 6MT, Nav (Sold)
      2006 Audi A3, Silver, Climate, Premium Pkg, Convenience, Nav, Bose, Open Sky (Sold)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sonarfarb View Post
      Thanks to a staff person at REI, I now have a huge crack in my windshield (bigger than a dollar bill and radiating outward). According to USAA the windshield will need to be replaced entirely. They of course use Safelite Autoglass as their preferred repair shop. I'm a little concerned that Safelite won't know how to deal with the rain sensors and city safety equipment. I've put a call in to my service advisor at the local Volvo dealer, but I won't likely hear back from him until next week. Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice?
      Sorry to see that. The key word is Safelite is their "preferred" vendor. Insist on using a Volvo OEM windshield. It's within your rights to get the SAME replacement part, not aftermarket.

When I used to work at a Volvo store, we had this come up quite a few times. Some customers insisted on Volvo Genuine Parts replacements, especially with a specialized windshield like that of the XC60.

Will REI be paying for this?
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by Kighter View Post
      Outdoor goods superstore. Bikes, camping, clothes, travel gear, etc.

What happened sonarfarb? Putting something on top and dropped it or something?
      I forgot my roof racks and didn't want to drive 40 miles back to my house to get them. I picked up an online order for a standup paddle board at the store. I was adjusting the front passenger seat and back seats and the staff person slammed the tailgate down. There wasn't yet quite enough room to close it so the front of the paddle board slammed into the windshield. Spoke to the manager at REI, of course staff aren't technically supposed to help you load anything for this reason. Not sure what they will do, but she's going to get back to me. I was able to load a 9.5 foot kayak in the same position last year. It never dawned on me that I'd cause such damage, I should have driven back for the roof racks.
      2017 XC60 T5 AWD Dynamic Osmium Grey, June 2011-OSD 2012 S60 T5 Saville Grey, Premium, Climate, Active Bi-Xenon , 2010 XC60 Silver, Premium, Climate, Active Bi-Xenon-gave to Dad, 2004 V40 Silver Premium, Sport-gave to Mom, 1990 240 GL Burgundy-Traded, 1985 240 GL White-Sold, 1983 240 DL Wagon Light Blue-Totalled, 1975 164 Sierra Orange--Totalled

sonarfarb,

I just noticed your signature; you are not buying a MY10 S60 T5, this June, are you? I just wanna save you a trip, just in case!
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

No, you are correct, unless Volvo gives you a trip to Europe and a time machine. Although saying MY2012 also feels like I'm traveling to the future since I just got used to writing 2011 on checks :P
      2017 XC60 T5 AWD Dynamic Osmium Grey, June 2011-OSD 2012 S60 T5 Saville Grey, Premium, Climate, Active Bi-Xenon , 2010 XC60 Silver, Premium, Climate, Active Bi-Xenon-gave to Dad, 2004 V40 Silver Premium, Sport-gave to Mom, 1990 240 GL Burgundy-Traded, 1985 240 GL White-Sold, 1983 240 DL Wagon Light Blue-Totalled, 1975 164 Sierra Orange--Totalled

I would recommend that if you do use Safelite - insist that they use Volvo parts - which they will. My experience with them was very trying. Did not have the right tools to complete the task - it had to be taken to the dealer for certain items. I think if I was going to do it again I would just use the dealer.
      2014 Pearl White XC90 3.2 AWD
      2011.5 Sea Shell XC60 T6 AWD

Safelite was the only company that found an ultra rare windshield for my Alfa Milano, which they promptly cracked while installing it in my car.

So, there's that.
      '04 V70 2.5t Titanium Edition
      '91 780 Bertone Coupe Turbo
      '87 Alfa Romeo Milano Platinum 2.5 with Verde Body

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements