Oil Leak on HOSE on 05 XC90 AWD 2.5T
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil Leak on HOSE on 05 XC90 AWD 2.5T

Hello folks,

Sorry newbie here. But I noticed an oil leak around one of the hoses. Not really sure what this particlar hose is called or connected too. Seems like one end is connected to the radiator or intercooler (i think) and the other end connects to a tube that goes over the engine.

Someone in here please educate me. Since I've owned this 05 XC90 AWD 2.5T and now has 89K on the clock. I've been adding roughly a quarter or half a quart of oil in between 3000/3500 oil changes.

Attached is a pic I took with my cell. Any info would be much appreciated and hope I'm dealing with something minor. Other than that the XC90 drives good.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mge_1; 09-03-2013 at 10:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That's the turbo hose leading to the intercooler. Mine has it on the bottom part. Check make sure it's not cracked.

http://www.swedishautoparts.com/XC90...omponents.html

You will need to purchase the #2 hose. Hey can you take a pix of your tranny dipstick. I can't find mine on my 06. Thanks.

Nevermind, I found! It's under the radiator hose. ha! http://www.scribd.com/doc/40412076/2...smission-Flush
      Last edited by xallenx1; 04-02-2011 at 07:30 AM.
      1995 850 NA new motor
      1991 940 SE 280K+
      06 XC90 2.5T FW 160K+

If it is the turbo hose you can always use it as an excuse to get the sweet ipd silicone hoses

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-XC90/Per...-105-635-5814/
      I don't work for them but they have the best prices on OEM I have found.. www.tascaparts.com

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T
      2005 Jeep Liberty 2.8L Diesel

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mge_1 View Post
      Hello folks,

Sorry newbie here. But I noticed an oil leak around one of the hoses. Not really sure what this particlar hose is called or connected too. Seems like one end is connected to the radiator or intercooler (i think) and the other end connects to a tube that goes over the engine.

Someone in here please educate me. Since I've owned this 05 XC90 AWD 2.5T and now has 89K on the clock. I've been adding roughly a quarter or half a quart of oil in between 3000/3500 oil changes.

Attached is a pic I took with my cell. Any info would be much appreciated and hope I'm dealing with something minor. Other than that the XC90 drives good.

Thanks in advance.
      Finally somoene other than me with a 2.5 that consumes oil. ours just turned 67k and used about 3/4 quart in 3,000 miles. I started this thread hoping to find out what the norm is. https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...iles&p=1660730 what does your dipstick read when you add the oil? With the last oil change the dealer put in about 1/4 quart more than the full line. Now it is about 1/2 low. Im not adding since it is going in this week for an oil change.

I am now checking the oil in her car every week since I dont think the oil level light goes on at the 1 quart low mark like it did in my RX-7s and 944s
      Sincerely,
      Tom
      08 XC90 V8 - Hers
      07 S80 V8 - Shared

I guess I'm pretty lucky on my 06 2.5T. So far no oil consumption. I changed it from dino to full synthetic high mileage mobil 1. I've been checking the oil level and it's been a month and so far it's right on the same level as when I changed the oil. Still got the gas smell though.
      1995 850 NA new motor
      1991 940 SE 280K+
      06 XC90 2.5T FW 160K+

Quote Originally Posted by xallenx1 View Post
      That's the turbo hose leading to the intercooler. Mine has it on the bottom part. Check make sure it's not cracked.

http://www.swedishautoparts.com/XC90...omponents.html

You will need to purchase the #2 hose. Hey can you take a pix of your tranny dipstick. I can't find mine on my 06. Thanks.

Nevermind, I found! It's under the radiator hose. ha! http://www.scribd.com/doc/40412076/2...smission-Flush
      Thanks for the links. Awesome!

We've had our 05 xc90 T5awd for a year now. I've been adding about 1/2 a quart to it every 4k. This seems to have stopped about a month and a half ago after our mechanic replaced the breather box for being clogged. He also noted a small amount of oil in the intake manifold that we plan on keeping an eye on (might be from the breather hose to the intake manifold). I checked the oil this weekend and it hasn't dropped. My mechanic also told me the T5 is a very solid engine and I shouldn't worry too much about her.

Might want to check the upper PCV hose (valve cover to oil separator). You'll need to pull the top plastic cover to see it (in between the engine and intake manifold). Have a 2005 2.5T which had exactly the same problem. 2005 (maybe earlier) 2.5Ts have an upper hose made of corrugated plastic and it breaks through heat and age (mine was broken in 2 places right at the bends). My oil stains were in the exact same place as your photo and I replaced the hose with the newer rubber version of the hose (pn 8692217) and now no more leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by hfwilkesjr View Post
      We've had our 05 xc90 T5awd for a year now. I've been adding about 1/2 a quart to it every 4k. This seems to have stopped about a month and a half ago after our mechanic replaced the breather box for being clogged. He also noted a small amount of oil in the intake manifold that we plan on keeping an eye on (might be from the breather hose to the intake manifold). I checked the oil this weekend and it hasn't dropped. My mechanic also told me the T5 is a very solid engine and I shouldn't worry too much about her.
      breather box as in air filter or something else? I changed the air filter with a volvo filter about 17k miles ago.

BMW has www.realoem.com with shematics. Is the volvo version available on line?
      Sincerely,
      Tom
      08 XC90 V8 - Hers
      07 S80 V8 - Shared

Quote Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
      breather box as in air filter or something else? I changed the air filter with a volvo filter about 17k miles ago.

BMW has www.realoem.com with shematics. Is the volvo version available on line?
      http://www.lakesidedp.com/uploadpics/pcv/
      It the same as the 850. It's under the intake manifold. Not the same as the air filter.

Here is the full kit http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-XC90/Eng...5-596-598-926/
      Last edited by xallenx1; 04-04-2011 at 11:17 PM.
      1995 850 NA new motor
      1991 940 SE 280K+
      06 XC90 2.5T FW 160K+

Quote Originally Posted by xallenx1 View Post
      http://www.lakesidedp.com/uploadpics/pcv/
      It the same as the 850. It's under the intake manifold. Not the same as the air filter.

Here is the full kit http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-XC90/Eng...5-596-598-926/
      xallenx1 is exactly correct, it is more like a pcv valve used to vent pressure in the engines oil resivoir and head for that matter. If it gets clogged, it causes oil leaks at engine seals. Servicing it should be part of any Volvo regular maintenance. My 740 had a flame trap that I replaced every 25k to keep the breather box from getting clogged. I'm not sure if the xc has the flame trap.
      (Hers) Current Ride - 2017 XC60 T6 AWD
      ( His ) Current Ride - 2016 XC90 T6 AWD

(Hers) Past Rides - 93 244, 05 XC90, 15.5 XC60
      ( His ) Past Rides - 91 745, 05 S40 T5 FWD

Quote Originally Posted by darinb View Post
      If it is the turbo hose you can always use it as an excuse to get the sweet ipd silicone hoses

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-XC90/Per...-105-635-5814/

I brought this kit from IPD. But I do have a question about installation. How do you access the back small coupler in the vehicle. It's so far away from the side of the vehicle and so hard to reach. Which tools did you use to replace that section? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunkids View Post
      I brought this kit from IPD. But I do have a question about installation. How do you access the back small coupler in the vehicle. It's so far away from the side of the vehicle and so hard to reach. Which tools did you use to replace that section? Thanks
      Here: http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/sku_files/14959_INST.PDF

Take a look at #12.
      1995 850 NA new motor
      1991 940 SE 280K+
      06 XC90 2.5T FW 160K+

Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      Might want to check the upper PCV hose (valve cover to oil separator). You'll need to pull the top plastic cover to see it (in between the engine and intake manifold). Have a 2005 2.5T which had exactly the same problem. 2005 (maybe earlier) 2.5Ts have an upper hose made of corrugated plastic and it breaks through heat and age (mine was broken in 2 places right at the bends). My oil stains were in the exact same place as your photo and I replaced the hose with the newer rubber version of the hose (pn 8692217) and now no more leaks.
      Nice, I'll check this weekend. Thank you.

Thumbs down

Hi everyone. XC90 2.5T VOR edition 2006 the same problem. .Hit
      When Volvo factory think to solve all this crap from XC90 ? When build XC 120 ?

Correction (It's back !)

So I was wrong. After stating that the oil residue was gone after replacing the upper PCV hose, I looked again after 6 months and the oil is back on the tube EXACTLY as noted in mge_1’s photo. The oil appears to be "sweating" from the rubber hose. As this is the hose from turbo to intercooler, it's logical to assume the oil is in fact coming from the turbo. A search on the internet for "oil in intercooler pipe T5" will note quite a few Volvo centric posts about this same problem (XC70, XC90, etc.) and, so long as it's not leaking as such or you don't see any smoke out the back when you stomp on the gas, apparently some amount of oil is going to be in the tube and hose (and I suppose the intercooler as well). I replaced both hoses (intercooler to plastic pipe, plastic pipe to turbo) and there was considerable oil in the path (looks like condensation). At this time do not believe I have any significant issue with turbo but would appreciate if anyone else has a story like this to tell and what was the result. Mine’s a 2005 2.5T with 107k miles.

So I was wrong. After stating that the oil residue was gone after replacing the upper PCV hose, I looked again after 6 months and the oil is back on the tube EXACTLY as noted in mge_1’s photo. The oil appears to be "sweating" from the rubber hose. As this is the hose from turbo to intercooler, it's logical to assume the oil is in fact coming from the turbo. A search on the internet for "oil in intercooler pipe T5" will note quite a few Volvo centric posts about this same problem (XC70, XC90, etc.) and, so long as it's not leaking as such or you don't see any smoke out the back when you stomp on the gas, apparently some amount of oil is going to be in the tube and hose (and I suppose the intercooler as well). I replaced both hoses (intercooler to plastic pipe, plastic pipe to turbo) and there was considerable oil in the path (looks like condensation). At this time do not believe I have any significant issue with turbo but would appreciate if anyone else has a story like this to tell and what was the result. Mine’s a 2005 2.5T with 107k miles.
      I have an '06 XC90 2.5t with the exact same issue. The car had been consuming oil significantly and after seeing this thread and others, I noticed that my upper PCV (crankcase) hose was cracked. Dealer replaced the hose and breather box (oil trap) - $750 repair due to having to remove the intake manifold. When I asked the dealer about the oil caked on the intercooler hose as depicted in mge's photo above, the dealer explained that it was "normal," which seemed odd to me - surely that can't be the design. Well, I had changed the oil myself prior to the repair, switching from dino to Mobil 1 5W/30 and after the repair the car still was consuming oil at about 1 qt per 1000 miles. I just changed it again last week, a little earlier than the 7500 mile interval, and put Castrol Edge 5W/30 Synthetic in. I'll report back on how that goes, but have little hope that it will be any different. Wondering why I'm still consuming, burning, leaking oil after the PCV service?? What else is happening here with these engines that there is such oil consumption. Currently, I have 92K miles on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabber View Post
      I have an '06 XC90 2.5t with the exact same issue. The car had been consuming oil significantly and after seeing this thread and others, I noticed that my upper PCV (crankcase) hose was cracked. Dealer replaced the hose and breather box (oil trap) - $750 repair due to having to remove the intake manifold. When I asked the dealer about the oil caked on the intercooler hose as depicted in mge's photo above, the dealer explained that it was "normal," which seemed odd to me - surely that can't be the design. Well, I had changed the oil myself prior to the repair, switching from dino to Mobil 1 5W/30 and after the repair the car still was consuming oil at about 1 qt per 1000 miles. I just changed it again last week, a little earlier than the 7500 mile interval, and put Castrol Edge 5W/30 Synthetic in. I'll report back on how that goes, but have little hope that it will be any different. Wondering why I'm still consuming, burning, leaking oil after the PCV service?? What else is happening here with these engines that there is such oil consumption. Currently, I have 92K miles on the car.
      At 92k you're a good candidate for high mileage oil, which is available in synth as wel. It conditions (swells) seals, higher detergent concentration and has a lower burn off rate. Maybe it can help.

Quote Originally Posted by carmonkey View Post
      At 92k you're a good candidate for high mileage oil, which is available in synth as wel. It conditions (swells) seals, higher detergent concentration and has a lower burn off rate. Maybe it can help.
      Just before this last oil change I had put in about 2 qts of Mobil 1 high mileage, so essentially mixing it with the regular Mobil 1. It seemed worse. I just checked and after about 650 miles I'm down 1/2 qt of the Castrol Edge. I'm about to replace the intercooler hose as depicted in mge's pic, to see if that makes a difference. Anyone, know where I can get new clamps?

Angry 98K, PCV service, synthetic, and still consuming oil

Quote Originally Posted by Jabber View Post
      Just before this last oil change I had put in about 2 qts of Mobil 1 high mileage, so essentially mixing it with the regular Mobil 1. It seemed worse. I just checked and after about 650 miles I'm down 1/2 qt of the Castrol Edge. I'm about to replace the intercooler hose as depicted in mge's pic, to see if that makes a difference. Anyone, know where I can get new clamps?
      So, there is 98K miles on the XC90 now and so it's been a little over 5K miles since I last changed the oil with Castrol Edge. I've had to put in a quart every 1,500 miles or so. I have the intercooler hose and plan to replace that at the next oil change. Why the heck is this car consuming so much oil?! Anyone?

I am not a fan of the high milage that swells seals. In the past I have seen the same type and in the end it makes the seals swell and then
      get brittle or swell and crack depending on the seal type. If you show no leaks that are too expensive to seal then dont use it.

You oil can be getting past the rings, do a compression test. Also it could be a leaking turbo seal that is dumping in the exhaust. The latter
      usually smokes bad and ruins the cat pretty fast. If there are no leaks then it is probably being pushed past the rings and burnt. If you
      pull off the oil fill cap when it is running is there a noticeable amount of air escaping? This could be blowby around the rings.

Just a guess..
      2005 XC90 2.5T AWD (car)
      2000 F350 4x4 diesel (truck)

Jabber, you need to check the turbo for a rebuild maybe. Also check the pcv system, sometimes it can make your engine to burn oil. A compression test is also adviced.
      S80 V8 AWD - XC90 2.5T - S60 T5 M 01(SOLD) - R-K24 Turbo, R-Manifold, R-charge pipe, ARD Blue custom flash, BSR catback, downpipe and intake, ARD TCV, IPD Coils and Pod, Snabb intake pipe, Xemodex ETM, FMIC, SPEC Stage 3+,Autometer SportCompII Gauge, Ipd upper mounts, Evolve hoses, Brembo 4 pistons big brake kits front and rear, OEM body kit, Bilstein HD with Eibach pro kit, R 18" wheels, 6000k hid kits up and fogs, 2006 bixenon

I should have replaced the tube 2 years ago. Now it looks like it's going to kick me in the A$$. Wife drives the XC90 daily and I have just been topping it off the same as my original post above.
      Here are the new symptoms. Car now feels like it wants to stall and CEL is now on. Latest pic, you can see the oil leak got worse. Time for a new turbo and replace the tube. Well before I buy parts, I'm dropping it off at a friend's house to get it checked up first. Hopefully its minor stuff that needs to be replaced.

Any feedback? BTW, it now has 130K miles.

Last edited by mge_1; 09-03-2013 at 11:10 PM.

(I hope you have already replaced the cam belt idler, take-up, water pump, and belt itself ... or it will soon all take care of itself.)

I think your oil leaks and consumption all have to do with the PCV system (as others have mentioned above). The PCV system is a bit "strange" on this, and other Volvo engines, and until you been through it yourself ...you will never completely understand. I would recommend you get up close and personal with the "oil separator-collector box" that is mounted against the block...down below the alternator and intake manifold. Best to remove the throttle body (it could use some cleaning anyway ... remove the intake manifold ... remove the thermostat housing ... heck, you may never get this thing back together! (LOL!) Plan to thoroughly clean, or replace, the oil box. Along the way, you will discover several hoses and other pieces that will require replacement. Be sure that your adventure includes getting the "air injectors" (what the heck are they?) removed and cleaned. The whole process will take some time your first time through. Take phone images before you remove each component ... as you will surely not remember later how things fit together. It "ain't" rocket-science ... just a bit of dirty work.

(In some cases, if the situation has gotten bad enough, the crankshaft seals will have to be replaced to totally get rid of all oil leaks ... but, one thing at a time.)

Quote Originally Posted by 12Ounce View Post
      (I hope you have already replaced the cam belt idler, take-up, water pump, and belt itself ... or it will soon all take care of itself.)

I think your oil leaks and consumption all have to do with the PCV system (as others have mentioned above). The PCV system is a bit "strange" on this, and other Volvo engines, and until you been through it yourself ...you will never completely understand. I would recommend you get up close and personal with the "oil separator-collector box" that is mounted against the block...down below the alternator and intake manifold. Best to remove the throttle body (it could use some cleaning anyway ... remove the intake manifold ... remove the thermostat housing ... heck, you may never get this thing back together! (LOL!) Plan to thoroughly clean, or replace, the oil box. Along the way, you will discover several hoses and other pieces that will require replacement. Be sure that your adventure includes getting the "air injectors" (what the heck are they?) removed and cleaned. The whole process will take some time your first time through. Take phone images before you remove each component ... as you will surely not remember later how things fit together. It "ain't" rocket-science ... just a bit of dirty work.

(In some cases, if the situation has gotten bad enough, the crankshaft seals will have to be replaced to totally get rid of all oil leaks ... but, one thing at a time.)
      Belts replaced. Now as far as the water pump, I know we haven't touched it yet. Will look into this PCV issue. But seems like even after a $750 PCV service the problem is still there with the oil consumption with Jabber. Gotta be another culprit to this problem.
      Last edited by mge_1; 09-04-2013 at 05:14 AM.

I had the same oil soaked intercooler hose problem. Was procrastinating on changing it until it ripped. Boost leaks, low power, whistling noise when accelerating, CEL on. Bought hose, replaced it, cleared CEL, job done. This was recent though. Haven"t looked at the hose if it was still clean. Also, I am relatively new owner so haven't noticed oil consumption yet.

Wow awesome good to hear. Hopefully its the same for me. Did you buy oem hoses or aftermarket?

I also change this tube for the same reason...too much oil on it. Service guy told me that this is normal. But I had a problem bcs. he didn't put correct clamp and
      engine was without power and I drive like this almost 440 km before I come back to service...he push tube on place and clamp must be tighten good bcs. inside
      is high pressure of some bars...oh almost forgot 2.5T 2006 consuming a little oil but this is normal.
      XC90 2.5T VOR AWD 2006 320.600 km
      Proudly GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS and VOR XC90 2.5t Nr. 615 from 1574 Volvo's 31.03.2019 UK
      + 5704 km longest distance traveled to #Volvo600 UK meeting.

Here you go... looks nasty lol

Last edited by mge_1; 09-04-2013 at 07:21 PM.

That is where my hose ripped exactly.

I used OEM hose to replace. It came with brand new hose clamps attached. Was a straightforward install, just tight space to operate. Just make sure you put on the new hose the right way. One way to tell its on backwards is if its bent in the middle after installation and prohibits airflow. Installed correctly, the hose will preserve its natural shape. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by XCNY View Post
      That is where my hose ripped exactly.

I used OEM hose to replace. It came with brand new hose clamps attached. Was a straightforward install, just tight space to operate. Just make sure you put on the new hose the right way. One way to tell its on backwards is if its bent in the middle after installation and prohibits airflow. Installed correctly, the hose will preserve its natural shape. Hope this helps.
      Yes it helps alot thank you. And I've ordered the OEM part as well.

Thanks for all the tips. Wife's ride runs smooth again!

This is common problem as I saw. Look I change mine few months ago.
      At first service guy didnt fix proper and tube come out with problems
      that engine wont start at all...after error : Engine reduced power...bla bla
      XC90 2.5T VOR AWD 2006 320.600 km
      Proudly GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS and VOR XC90 2.5t Nr. 615 from 1574 Volvo's 31.03.2019 UK
      + 5704 km longest distance traveled to #Volvo600 UK meeting.

What was the final conclusion for the oil on the hose, i have the same car and same problem. I changed my pcv system and have oil on my hose in that exact spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron115 View Post
      What was the final conclusion for the oil on the hose, i have the same car and same problem. I changed my pcv system and have oil on my hose in that exact spot.
      change hose, use ipd if you wish
      gives way over time
      20 T6 MOM 7pass::: 17 T6 MOM XC90 (lease rtn):::'06 2.5T AWD XC90 10/05 (now 106k)::: '06 2.5T AWD XC90 9/05 (sold 3/17 with 89k)::: '03 2.5T AWD XC90 3/03 (trade-assist)

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast