K-Pax Debuts Limited Edition Volvo C30 GT for Street
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

K-Pax Debuts Limited Edition Volvo C30 GT for Street

Sharing the learnings from creating a set of C30 race cars for the track, K-Pax has teamed up with Volvo to release a special edition C30 GT for the street. It'll be fast, fully warrantied, and limited to just 500 examples.

FULL STORY

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

NICE!
      Now I dont plan on buying one, Ive already sunk the money into my 2009, but hopefully this will open up a little more aftermarket for the vehicle. I hope K-Pax will be selling some performance parts!

This has been a action packed few days for Volvo annoucing all these "Perfomance" oriented models. It says it comes with upgraded brakes, I hope they are Brembos; if so than maybe all the R-Fanboys looking for a MT/Brembos on a future Volvo could possibly get this C30 (of course giving up AWD).
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black [HIS] - Platinum/Tech/Climate/19" IxionII, Polestar Winglets, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Sway Bar, 15mm Spacers and KN Filter.
      2019 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Crystal White/Charcoal [HERS] - Nappa Leather w/Massage/Advanced/Heated Steering & Rear Seats/Sport Steering Wheel & Charcoal Headliner/20" Wheels
      ​Past: 1994 940Turbo/2004 S40LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda 3/2012 S60RD/2013 S60T5AWD/2016 XC60T6AWD

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

love it. i always approve of more power.

Hate to say it but Im kinda irritated. This I assume is what beat out the Polestar C30 which would have been 10x better of an option than a slightly hopped up C30 with the ugliest BBS wheels available.

Volvo's idea of performance is far from what most would consider to be an upgrade. The Polestar C30 would have been an M car, STi, Evo competitor yet this is just a spendier C30 with a few bolt on's. Not overly impressed.

This in my opinion is what the C30R should have been, the R-"design" is an overpriced C30 with a few badges and a lip kit.

I like that Volvo is taking the performance thing a step further but not as many as most would like. I think a lot would agree that they would easily spend 40-50K on a AWD 400hp C30 than this which I can imagine would be in that price range. We have a C30 R-Deisgn sitting on the lot for sticker 36K :rollseyes:
      Current: 11 ISF | P2 V70R
      Past: 14 C300 AMG Sport+ | E46M | S40 T5 | NA1 NSX | Acura TL | LS-T DC4

this is as close to any C30 R you'll ever get, Volvo just doesn't have the balls anymore. but from what I am seeing here that is basically the same car they are racing for World Challenge series minus the roll cage It is full of WIN in my opinion and is probably better than any R Volvo would put out today.

This could also be a test bed project to see if they will sell. People need to put their money where their mouth is if you ever want Volvo to release something officially from them.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Quote Originally Posted by ForceFed Motorsports View Post
      Hate to say it but Im kinda irritated. This I assume is what beat out the Polestar C30 which would have been 10x better of an option than a slightly hopped up C30 with the ugliest BBS wheels available.

Volvo's idea of performance is far from what most would consider to be an upgrade. The Polestar C30 would have been an M car, STi, Evo competitor yet this is just a spendier C30 with a few bolt on's. Not overly impressed.

This in my opinion is what the C30R should have been, the R-"design" is an overpriced C30 with a few badges and a lip kit.

I like that Volvo is taking the performance thing a step further but not as many as most would like. I think a lot would agree that they would easily spend 40-50K on a AWD 400hp C30 than this which I can imagine would be in that price range. We have a C30 R-Deisgn sitting on the lot for sticker 36K :rollseyes:
      I don't think Volvo is trying to be a M1/3, S4, STi/EVO competitor right now, nor are they calling this an R. This competes nicely with GTi and Mazdaspeed3 FWD fast hatches. Volvo is doing some really good things as of lately, and I think it's going to take some time for they find that right formula that works; Ford drained them and now it's a road to recovery for them.

P.S. those wheels are far from being ugly, they look perfect on the C30. But hey that's my own two cents.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black [HIS] - Platinum/Tech/Climate/19" IxionII, Polestar Winglets, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Sway Bar, 15mm Spacers and KN Filter.
      2019 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Crystal White/Charcoal [HERS] - Nappa Leather w/Massage/Advanced/Heated Steering & Rear Seats/Sport Steering Wheel & Charcoal Headliner/20" Wheels
      ​Past: 1994 940Turbo/2004 S40LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda 3/2012 S60RD/2013 S60T5AWD/2016 XC60T6AWD

Keep in mind guys that this K-Pax car wasn't something developed by Volvo in Sweden. It's a project approved by Volvo of North America, much like Volvo of Italy's Black Design C30 a few weeks ago. The Polestar car would be a worldwide project, far more expensive and complicated probably. No, the K-Pax car isn't perfect and it will probably be expensive, but this has been a good week for Volvo of North America showing there is still interest in enthusiast projects (the power bump announced this week for the S60 R-design and XC60 R-design was a VNCA thing as well) even if Volvo Car Corporation isn't willing to show the same interest. If these efforts are successful, maybe we'll see some more interesting things coming out of Sweden again soon.

Hyperblack RGR would have been a slam dunk on this thing, but yeah just never been a fan of those wheels.

I agree I'm happy to see Volvo stepping up and going in this direction. I agree though Ford was and is dead weight. Sucked Volvo resources and invested jack back into it. I'd just like to see some real enthusiast driven options from Volvo. My Acura TL has that kind of power, wanna see something badass hit the streets.

Isn't it just a tuned, lowered C30 R design? I bet you the premium wont be worth paying for...
      2004 S60R 6MT HILTON 2.5 Tuned
      CLICK HERE for Build Thread

My wife's car: 2015.5 XC60 CLICK HERE

I would have like to see the Carbon Fiber grille from Italy's Black Edition on this KPAX car which would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by tomedkaz View Post
      Isn't it just a tuned, lowered C30 R design? I bet you the premium wont be worth paying for...
      Tune + Exhaust + Suspension + Bigger Brakes (hope they are Brembos), we just have to wait and see what the price is.

Tune $800 + Exhaust $1000 + BBK $2500 + Wheels $2000 custom staff (say...$2000) = $8,300 worth of upgrades

Now, if the premium is less than $10,000 then it's almost worth it. If it's more, then it's better to buy a regular R design and tune it yourself, that way you can sell the OEM wheels/brakes and recoup some $.

What do you think>?
      2004 S60R 6MT HILTON 2.5 Tuned
      CLICK HERE for Build Thread

My wife's car: 2015.5 XC60 CLICK HERE

I like it, however I have to agree with this sentiment...

I like that Volvo is taking the performance thing a step further but not as many as most would like. I think a lot would agree that they would easily spend 40-50K on a AWD 400hp C30 than this which I can imagine would be in that price range.
      I've always really liked the C30 but without AWD its a no-go for me. If they put out a high performance version with 350hp(+) and AWD that was in the 5s arena, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I'm still interested to see what the price is on the GT though.

This is a nice package. The wheels aren't the hottest I've ever seen, but I like them.

This is just one aftermarket developed package - if it is successful, other will follow. Perhaps a Polestar-caliber offering will be in the cards one day!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowboarder XC View Post
      I'm still interested to see what the price is on the GT though.
      This. Also, I wonder if they will sell the upgrades a la carte for existing P1 owners. Specifically, Brembos.

I'm confused, does it ship with 280 HP? Who (in their right mind) would buy a Mini over this butte?
      Dave in VA

2012 XC70 T6, AWD (new T6 motor installed 8/27/2015)
      2016 Cadillac ATS-V

A step in the right direction, the most common bolt-ons with warranty. It would be nice to see something a little bolder, but it's a start.
      1982 Volvo GLT w/ small block V8, T5 manual tranny and a bunch of stuff. to handle and go fast
      Gone and totaled V50 with a few mods, K16, Enem cams 3' DP and cat back, KW V2 coilovers, etc. I miss that one
      2015.5 Polestar V60 BSM #44/80

Any chance it has a LSD? If it actually came with a decent diff from the factory I would heavily consider picking up a car payment.

Volvo's idea of performance is far from what most would consider to be an upgrade.
      +1
      There's nothing in the Volvo stable that interests me anymore.
      04 V70 2.5T AWD - AUTOTECH | SNABB | OBX | MAGNAFLOW | SNABB | BILSTEIN | EIBACH

very nice !

The brakes are probably the stoptech kit they used on their c30 race car
      I'm Back
      2008 Volvo C30 -
      Mods: Evolve(IC,CBE, Tune) and K&N intake, 3'' DP, Evolve Coilovers, Megan Rear control arms, A/F and Boost gauge, Samco hose, Forge DV, snow performance methanol injection,IPD HD TCV, NGK Plugs, lower transmission mount, undercarriage bracing, 17x8 TD Pro Race 1.2.

I don't believe stoptech does oe type brake kits for manufacturers. But its possible since it is a special edition.

not impressed.
      half the fun of getting a car is modding it yourself.
      with that said, they shouldve picked RG-R's

No way this will be a Brembo kit, they do not have any complete brake kit for the C30. *The problem is the rear handbrake layout. Expect a upgrade kit with new brake pads and maybe new rotors and brackets for larger brake rotors like the VIVA kit.*

I am waiting to see the price before I make any decisions. Personally if the price is right, id take one. All those upgrades and its still covered by the warranty? Win win to me unless they jack the price.
      -Steve
      2008 C30 R-Design - to be replaced by something more family friendly
      2006 XC90 2.5 - 116K Auto - the "new" baby-mobile

That thing looks great! I don't know how you can compare this car to that stupid black edition Italian market which is just plastered with vinyl

Sure would be Sweet If this C30 R came with a K-16 just turned down a bit , and Nice Brakes - could see those parts - becoming available Soon !
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rallybrick View Post
      No way this will be a Brembo kit, they do not have any complete brake kit for the C30. *The problem is the rear handbrake layout. Expect a upgrade kit with new brake pads and maybe new rotors and brackets for larger brake rotors like the VIVA kit.*
      Problem for people like you and I? Yup. Problem for a race team and the company that designed/built the car in the first place? Not in the slightest. If they use P1 hubs, the front needs a new bracket to hold the brembo calipers, and the rears need a bracket and redesigned handbrake OR pulling remaining S60R parts off the shelf and installing their handbrake system. Otherwise, they could probably just use the P2R hubs, brackets, brakes, rotors, and e-brake system. That is too daunting a task for the average person, but not for a company. It would be easy since they have all of the precise measurements already, and a lot of the parts, just a function of financial viability.

No issue for me done this many times however I know the cost involved, that's why I do not believe a*
      brake kit will be made available. To high cost and very few buyers.*
      Most likely only a pad upgrade.*

Quote Originally Posted by Rallybrick View Post
      No issue for me done this many times however I know the cost involved, that's why I do not believe a*
      brake kit will be made available. To high cost and very few buyers.*
      Most likely only a pad upgrade.*
      Sadly, I agree. I wasn't sure if your initial comment was meant towards development or just plain money, but it looks like we're on the same page. If they are just doing a pad upgrade, it better be Hawk HPS. They produce WAY less dust than OEM, and seem to stop at least as well.

Rotors look like stock 320's to me by the look of the caliper....so no upgrade there.
      2017 V60 T5 CC BLIS, Convenience package
      2007 S40 T5 AWD Elevate: FMIC, ETM, RASB, exhaust, AutoTech K16 tune, Elevate full intake, silicone hose kit, HID's, LED DRL's, Elevate/Wilwood BBK, ATE rotors, Akebono rear pads, Di-Noc grill, front sport lip, ProSport boost gauge, Wideband A/F gauge, IPD black replica Pegs, Heico kit/ Elevate springs, SPC rear camber arms, Sport steering wheel, IPD HD coils, K16- SOLD
      2005 V50 T5 AWD Ate Rotors, Akebono pads

Quote Originally Posted by nkreig View Post
      Rotors look like stock 320's to me by the look of the caliper....so no upgrade there.
      well only the s40/v50 awd come with 320mm brakes stock the other P1's come with 300mm
      I'm Back
      2008 Volvo C30 -
      Mods: Evolve(IC,CBE, Tune) and K&N intake, 3'' DP, Evolve Coilovers, Megan Rear control arms, A/F and Boost gauge, Samco hose, Forge DV, snow performance methanol injection,IPD HD TCV, NGK Plugs, lower transmission mount, undercarriage bracing, 17x8 TD Pro Race 1.2.

Quote Originally Posted by SiCkEsTC30 View Post
      well only the s40/v50 awd come with 320mm brakes stock the other P1's come with 300mm
      You are correct, sort of...IIRC the S40/V50 t5 AWD with six speed manual transmission has 320mm brakes, all others are 300mm. I was helping to clarify the conversations as to whether they were using an aftermarket brake kit or not.
      Last edited by nkreig; 04-25-2011 at 12:37 PM.
      2017 V60 T5 CC BLIS, Convenience package
      2007 S40 T5 AWD Elevate: FMIC, ETM, RASB, exhaust, AutoTech K16 tune, Elevate full intake, silicone hose kit, HID's, LED DRL's, Elevate/Wilwood BBK, ATE rotors, Akebono rear pads, Di-Noc grill, front sport lip, ProSport boost gauge, Wideband A/F gauge, IPD black replica Pegs, Heico kit/ Elevate springs, SPC rear camber arms, Sport steering wheel, IPD HD coils, K16- SOLD
      2005 V50 T5 AWD Ate Rotors, Akebono pads

This is great news for Volvo and the markets it serves. I had some less than admirable things to say about that carbon edition c30 for the Italian market and maybe I was a little unfair. I apologize. I see now that they are catering their special edition cars to the market they serve. The Italian market may appreciate a carbon edition c30 more than the American market. We on the other hand do appreciate the GT. I hope a special edition such as this is available when it's time for my next auto purchase. Not many car companies offer their market heads the autonomy to do things like this forcing more of a global focus. I am not against this, but I like the combination. Have a good global platform such as their current group of cars and then tweak them to the given market.

If you keep them reasonably priced $6-10k above cost for something like this gives little for critics to balk at. Also, keeping them limited productions makes the customer all warm and fuzzy. Nice job ladies and gentlemen!

Bravo!
      (Hers) Current Ride - 2017 XC60 T6 AWD
      ( His ) Current Ride - 2016 XC90 T6 AWD

(Hers) Past Rides - 93 244, 05 XC90, 15.5 XC60
      ( His ) Past Rides - 91 745, 05 S40 T5 FWD

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast