Seat Warmer and Heated Seat Defect / Recall (PLEASE RESPOND)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Seat Warmer and Heated Seat Defect / Recall (PLEASE RESPOND)

I have two 2004 V70R's and both have a defective drivers side seat warmer. On my daily driver, it was burning my leg on the left side bolster before shorting out. Luckily my leather did not get burned through like other peoples did. On my other one, it did not make a hole in the leather, but did make a hard spot as if the the material melted underneath.

My local dealership said that this was not a known issue, but from hearing from several others here, it is fairly common.

Can everyone who has experienced a non working seat warmer or burnt leather hole in their R please post here. My hope is that if enough people have dealt with this issue, that it can be addressed by Volvo of America and be repaired under recall.

Thanks a bunch.
      2004 V70R - GT. Titanium on Nordkap. Mostly stock with a little extra oomph

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My drivers seat just barely works. Just enough that I know it isn't shorted/burned out. I've read that there's a way to adjust the temp on them (if that's what's wrong) but I've read enough horor stories about them being too hot to bother with it.
      '04 S60 R
      Grey with Blue Seats. Volvo calls that Titanium with Nordkap. Whatever.
      MODS: RKelly rip-off dual CAI's, resonator delete (learned the hard way), stage 2 wastegate screw turnage, IMIV
      FUTURE MODS: Car wash, antenna ball

Count me in on this! I'm having the same problems. One day its fine or barely works and other times it gets so hot that it damn near burns the cheek before I can get it shut off. Glad to know I'm not the only one out there!
      Hers: 04.5 S40 T5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi3TG8PST4k car was formally owned by volvos40t5 (john)
      His: 04 S60 R 6 spd (Sold, her engine will be missed, not her drama)
      His: 05 XC90 V8

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I had this fixed by the dealer 2 months ago.
      The bill said something like: defective or failed seat heater grid.
      The drivers seat no longer got hot.
      2004 v70r 85k miles
      2004 V70R MT | Black / Tan | Rear-facing seat | USA spec ipod interface | Kenwood subwoofer system | 84K 11-2010

Quote Originally Posted by PDX V70R View Post
      I had this fixed by the dealer 2 months ago.
      The bill said something like: defective or failed seat heater grid.
      The drivers seat no longer got hot.
      2004 v70r 85k miles
      Were you charged for this repair or was it repaired by dealership under "Goodwill"?

Is this from the software change to increase the temp of the heater? For all you guys who bought used back in 2003 there were many complaints about the settings being too low on the seats, so many people went in and had the heat temps increased to max temp. Now all you guys buying used vehicles and burning your legs.
      2004 S60R Titanium/Atacama-Spec SM Flywheel, Phuz DP & FMIC, IPD HD TCV, UR F/R Strut Tower Brace, IPD UEM Bushing, IPD LTM. On-the-shelf-UR pulley, UR Lower F&R Braces, IPD HD Front Endlinks, Takspeed Titanium shims, Takspeed SS Brake lines, Takspeed R Pen
      2009 XC90 V8 RDesign Titanium- SS Brake lines, Rear R Calipers (On-Shelf wont fit with rims)

The seat heating element breaks after many years of use and it burns a hole where there is a break in the element. Happened on my 850 many years ago. I don't recall reading about it on the later X70's any now these cases with the R. Could be an expensive (or impossible) repair if the bottom seat cover needs to be replaced.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Mine malfunctioned about a year and a half ago and burned my leg. Still have the pics and slight scar. Jim Fisher Volvo in PDX replaced the element, repaired the foam in the seat (whatever that means), but did not replace or fix the leather. I should have been more forward with them at the time, but I wasn't and now I have a dime size hole in my driver side bolster that I have to fix myself. The hole is defiantly not a product of wear and tear. It was caused by the element and should have been fixed by Volvo. I will spare everyone from the pics of my leg. :P

My drivers seat lower burned through and burned a leg. Looking to get it replaced.

EDIT - Not the leg, the seat.
      Last edited by DJT S60 R; 05-10-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Good luck with the recall, honestly. With the collar sleeve/angle gear/DEM failures with these cars I doubt Volvo cares...

Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      Good luck with the recall, honestly. With the collar sleeve/angle gear/DEM failures with these cars I doubt Volvo cares...
      I agree that it might be a longshot, but if its deemed to be a safety issue, then perhaps the repair can be covered by Volvo. They did repair the heated seats on the 850 under recall years ago.

I do believe that Volvo is trying to increase its presence in the marketplace along with the goal of keeping its existing customers as "volvo for life".

My hope is that they will repair the seat warmers in my seats and also that current and future failures of R members can be fixed free under a TSB or something of that sort.

The drivers side seat heat in my 04 V70R (manufactured in 03) does not work either. No holes in the leather though.

Is there a write-up somewhere on how to fix this (in case Volvo should not care)?
      1998 V70 T5M - 103k miles - Sold

2004 V70R MT - Bone Stock - Sold

2008 Factory Five Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      @Skot53, so is your car having the same issue of the heated seats not working? Can you post your experience here.

A few years back I had a nice "burning" sensation occur in my drivers seats heating element. At first i just turned off the heater thinking it had just warmed up really quick but then I noticed that the leather was looking odd and eventually brought the car in.
      Volvoville did the repair under warranty. They fixed the element and gave me a new leather seat bottom. Mind you I had a CPO warranty to 100K so I don't know about the regular warranty issue. Unfortunately my upper seat leather is in worse shape now than the lower and doesn't quite match but thats another issue...
      04 S60R Black /Nordkap/MT/Stage 3 HiltonTuning /Snabb/TME DP&Exhaust/Eibachs/iPD Track Sways HD Coilpacks Strut Bar Conv. Boost Gauge/AEM H2OMeth / Hybrid Turbo/Forge CBV/GSX TODD FMIC

my seat heater burned through the leather and put a hole in my pants.
      Last edited by vlvo-tech; 01-08-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vlvo-tech View Post
      my seat heater burned through the leather and put a hole in my pants. i called volvo of na and they warr the leather and heater at 190k miles.
      Well, it looks like I got hosed by Volvo NA and the dealer.

I warned all against going to higher setting .... mine still works perfect, hot enough.
      (I can already imagine a Recall-campaign to reinstall the exhaust-bracket).
      Last edited by JARMO; 05-13-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JARMO View Post
      I warned all against going to higher setting .... mine still works perfect, hot enough.
      (I can already imagine a Recall-campaign to reinstall the exhaust-bracket).
      Some of us bought the car second hand and didn't know about the settings. So spare us the lecture and sarcastic BS. Unless you're going to help on this thread please don't Troll.
      Last edited by Slvr S60R; 05-13-2011 at 11:11 AM.

be nice.... people are trying to help each other so please be nice..

Quote Originally Posted by Slvr S60R View Post
      Some of us bought the car second hand and didn't know about the settings. So spare us the lecture and sarcastic BS. Unless you're going to help on this thread please don't Troll.
      I wasn't sarcastic, it are known facts. ciao dude

No issues here...not as warm as my wife's 06 Passat but I wouldn't want it too warm.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design_Ice White_Climate
      2004 SR_MT_Metalic Silver_Nordkap_17" Pegs_Stock_169K SOLD

My passenger side seat heater worked for a few days (bought the car used) now doesn't work at all.
      2008 A4 Avant 2.0T, MT, Stage 2+
      2004 V70R MT, Flash Green/Atacama (sold)
      2004 VW Touareg 4.2L V8, 19" AHTEO's
      1998 Audi A4 Avant 2.8L MT (sold)
      1995 Audi 90 Cs Quattro MT (sold)

Mine is out as well, but no burns.

My driver side barely gets warm, if at all. Sometimes it's so faint that I wonder if my mind is imagining it being warm, it's that bad. I have a 2004 S60R, 75k. Even had the seat heater setting upped to the hottest setting through VIDA at the dealer. Would love for this to get fixed under recall. No burns though.
      2004 Volvo S60R M66 - Sapphire/Nordkap - PhMIC, OBX DP, AEM Methanol, RICA Stage II, Powerflex front end, XC90 Spring Seats, ViVA CBV, HD TCV, SRP Pedals, K&N, JRL Mod, IPD R Boost gauge w/ CFWerks Door Pod, UR upper chassis braces, IPD Track Spec sways, IPD urethane subframe/engine/trans bushings, 10mm/15mm Front/Rear spacers, Black 18" Pegs, 245/40R18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's, 3000k HID Euro fogs, USA Spec, Parrot Bluetooth

how about an angle gear recall? I'd live with a seat warmer problem...
      2004 S60R 6MT HILTON 2.5 Tuned
      CLICK HERE for Build Thread

My wife's car: 2015.5 XC60 CLICK HERE

Well I got burned and my leg had a black mark (actually red that turned into a bruise like mark). I did not do anything because the car was soo new to me and I was in love with it in so many ways at the time (which was Late December).

Hopefully this will get additional responses over time and we will be able to document this problem.

Now that my seat is burned out on both cars, is not a pressing issue. Also since its summer, this is not a priority at the moment.

Volvo, please stand by your cars and fix these seats.

Mine is defective as well.

Pittsburgh, PA // Ft. Bragg, NC // Woodstock, GA
      My passenger side went out about a year ago; still lights up on the panel but her bumm still cold from what I'm told.
      Keoni - 2004 SR Saphakap MT||VolvoTista: BOV Kit // IPD: Strut Bar Conv, Upper Polly Mount, Trans Polly Mount // Elevate: Track Sways, SS Brake Lines, AMS // Phuzzy: FMIC, HD TCV // WothRline: Custom Tune // Custom 3" DP w/Magnaflow Cat w/ 3" Cut-Out // Custom 3" Exhaust w/Borla XR-1 muffler to dual exit 2.5" (quad tips) & Magnaflow resonator // Custom 3" CAI // SNAAB: Intake // UR: Pulley

My passenger side stopped working and I had it replaced so my wife would be happy driving with me.
      Thanatos: 9 VOLVOS: 2017 S60 Rdesign Platinum, 20K mi, Polestar Tune, spare tire.
      2013 C30 Rdesign Polestar #120 40K mi, 2011 XC90 3.2 165K mi, 2004 V70XC T5 175K mi
      2004 S60R MT Totaled by me, 2001 XC70 and 1999 V70 - Totaled by kids, 2004 XC90 - Totaled by wife, 2000 V40 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by JARMO View Post
      I wasn't sarcastic, it are known facts. ciao dude
      No, it was just yet another load of unnecessary douchebaggery from you.
      2006 S60R Sonic Blue MT w/Gobi (none of that Nordcrap) SOLD I miss Heidi...
      2004 VW R32 Guess I have a thing for blue R's...
      1996 il rospo My 247,000 mile project car (still on it's first motor)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
      My passenger side stopped working and I had it replaced so my wife would be happy driving with me.
      How much did the repair cost? Was it done at the dealership?

Mine burned through a while ago, dealer quoted me ~700$ on the heater +~1000$ more for new leather. I said no thanks my ass will freeze.

What's this about it being warrantied until 190k?
      04 S60R PassionGobi, BSR Filter, 18" OZ Ultraleggera's, 25-5% tint, Brushed silver grille
      EST Catback, DP on the shelf, PIAA 4k fogs, IPD R Boost gauge
      08 Black VW Rabbit 2.5 S: K&N drop in, 17" Sparco Assetto Gara's, resonator delete

Sorry it took me so long to finally log in and respond to this.

Mine went back when I had my R in Dec 2008 I believe. Burned straight through the seat and singed my pants.

Called Volvo Canada and they were gracious enough to pay for the repair out of goodwill, even though I was outside of my warranty period. Cost the local dealer something like $3300. They had to order the Atacama lower seat cover, replace the foam, and of course the heater grid. Took them a couple days to do it.

My 2004 S60R, (night I brought it home from the dealership) burned my wifes bare skin and I caleld Volvo, and they ended up paying for everything even though I had 101,xxx miles on it and well out of any warranty. Took quite a while to get parts in, but they had it all (cushion, element, and leather) finished in a matter of a couple hours.

The dealership themselves werent going to do anything but charge me. And after explaining the situation to Volvo directly, they always greeted me on the phone with "I am sorry to hear about your wife's leg and I hope the injuries weren't severe enough for a a hospital visit"

Quote Originally Posted by JoelSnod View Post
      And after explaining the situation to Volvo directly, they always greeted me on the phone with "I am sorry to hear about your wife's leg and I hope the injuries weren't severe enough for a a hospital visit"
      They should have added "because if they were, then we know we're looking at no less than a $200,000 settlement given that this is a known and reported defect that we never did a recall to prevent."

Volvo is playing with ambulance-chaser fire with this one. Personal injuries caused by known defects have got to be injury lawyers' cash cows. There is no way that anyone who was been burned by this malfunction should have to pay for it out of pocket, no matter what the mileage. Volvo knows that it's WAY cheaper to pay a few thousand dollars to fix your seat than to settle a personal injury claim.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast