Travel Tips - Things you might not have thought of! - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Results 36 to 70 of 112
    1. #36
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      Posts
      4
      Thanks, Greg!

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #37
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      Posts
      4
      Thanks everyone for the great shopping tips, etc. - especially for the camping gear!

    4. #38
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Location
      Albuquerque New Mexico, USA
      Posts
      257
      Not sure if I mentioned this but IF you like a wash cloth, best to bring one with you. Seems many hotels don't have them nor apartments.
      2011 S40 T5 Ice White with Leather Calcite, Sirius Satellite Radio and Heated Seats, delivered 18 April at FDC.

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #39
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      Posts
      4
      sweet! Thanks, Bob!!

    7. #40
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      15
      Hope someone can help with this one... In the latest Volvo OSD promo video, there is a very brief shot of two people on a contraption pedaling down a (hopefully) abandoned rail line, very scenic shot. Does anyone know where that might be in Scandinavia? Appreciate any pointers anyone can make.

    8. #41
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Posts
      79
      Quote Originally Posted by mixterhp View Post
      Hope someone can help with this one... In the latest Volvo OSD promo video, there is a very brief shot of two people on a contraption pedaling down a (hopefully) abandoned rail line, very scenic shot. Does anyone know where that might be in Scandinavia? Appreciate any pointers anyone can make.
      I haven't seen the promo video myself, but I suspect it is a draisine (swedish: dressin) that you are refering to.

      http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dressin

      There are quite a few abandoned railways around Sweden. On some of these there a organisations offering the possibility to rent a draisine for the day. Here are a few examples from the south of Sweden.

      http://www.dressin.se/
      http://www.dressincykling.se/
      http://www.veteranjarnvagen.se/

      Try googling on "dressin" and you will probably find a few more in other parts of Sweden.

    9. #42
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Location
      Tacoma, WA
      Posts
      31

      Hotel Rates

      One tip on hotel pricing that I picked up from a Rick Steves blog post: if you find a rate on one of the online hotel booking sites (i.e. Expedia, Orbitz, Venere, etc) that is lower than booking directly with the hotel, contact the hotel directly to ask if they will match it. The online booking sites charge the hotel a commission, and it is often cheaper for the hotel to skip the "middle man" and pass the savings on to you. http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/makingres.htm (scroll down to "Booking Online")

      This strategy worked well when I booked a hotel in Stockholm this week. I was able to get a superior King room at at my preferred hotel for the price of a standard. I simply emailed the hotel and asked, very politely, if they would honor the online booking agent's rate.

      Trip Advisor is my preferred starting point in determining which hotels (or b & b's) you might want to stay at, and that site will automatically pull the pricing from each booking site. I will also Google for "unique lodging" or something like that to find places that maybe Trip Advisor doesn't know about yet. I found a truly awesome place on the Oregon Coast that way.

    10. #43
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Posts
      32
      Quote Originally Posted by Splitshot View Post
      One tip on hotel pricing that I picked up from a Rick Steves blog post: if you find a rate on one of the online hotel booking sites (i.e. Expedia, Orbitz, Venere, etc) that is lower than booking directly with the hotel, contact the hotel directly to ask if they will match it. The online booking sites charge the hotel a commission, and it is often cheaper for the hotel to skip the "middle man" and pass the savings on to you. http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/makingres.htm (scroll down to "Booking Online")

      This strategy worked well when I booked a hotel in Stockholm this week. I was able to get a superior King room at at my preferred hotel for the price of a standard. I simply emailed the hotel and asked, very politely, if they would honor the online booking agent's rate.

      Trip Advisor is my preferred starting point in determining which hotels (or b & b's) you might want to stay at, and that site will automatically pull the pricing from each booking site. I will also Google for "unique lodging" or something like that to find places that maybe Trip Advisor doesn't know about yet. I found a truly awesome place on the Oregon Coast that way.
      Ah, that sounds like a great strategy, and good to work things out directly with the hotel! When I made our hotel bookings I tended to manically cross-reference tripadvisor reviews with those on booking.com, which also seems to have a larger selection of places in its inventory than tripadvisor has for reviews. That led us to a couple of nice finds in Germany that were VERY well reviewed on booking.com (just not in English - so I'd simply plop the text into google translate), that were also very affordable, turns out. Also handy to pull up the location on maps.google.com and just do a keyword search for hotel, and even more leads will pop up.

      SO Splitshot, I see you're in Tacoma! I'm a native of the PNW (Seattle, also lived in Corvallis), and return back regularly. Would you kindly PM me your find on the Oregon Coast?!?! (assuming it's too off-topic for the forum....)

    11. #44
      Member William's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2002
      Location
      California
      Posts
      2,179
      Do you like old cars and history? A favorite destination for many Volvo Overseas Delivery customers is the Volvo Museum in Goteborg where an extensive collection of Volvo cars from the 1920's to the current decade can be seen.

      Would you like an unusual travel experience? How about going for a scenic ride in a vintage Volvo when you are on vacation in Sweden?

      Visitors to Goteborg can now drive a classic Volvo car as part of a 1 1/2 hour guided historic tour of the city! More information about this unique way to explore the home town of Volvo can be found at the Time Travel Sightseeing Goteborg website: http://www.timetravelgbg.se/index-en.html
      William

      Go on a Journey for Life...
      " See Sweden by Volvo "
      Click ^^ to take first step

    12. #45
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2013
      Location
      Irvine, CA
      Posts
      24
      Hi All,

      We will be traveling through Germany. I have read that you need Eco Stickers to travel through certain cities. Have any of you done this? What is the best way to acquire one of these stickers? One website I read said that in order to get one ahead of time, through the mail, we need our registration information. But we don't know that. Do you know if we get our registration information for our car ahead of time, so we may be able to order one of these stickers online?

      If I am posting in a total wrong thread, my apologies. I just thought if someone has good tips for traveling in Germany, and responds to this, then this might be the best thread. Thank you for your help!
      What will you do Today that will make you Proud in a Year?

    13. #46
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Louisiana
      Posts
      110
      Quote Originally Posted by SaraStewart View Post
      Hi All,

      We will be traveling through Germany. I have read that you need Eco Stickers to travel through certain cities. Have any of you done this? What is the best way to acquire one of these stickers? One website I read said that in order to get one ahead of time, through the mail, we need our registration information. But we don't know that. Do you know if we get our registration information for our car ahead of time, so we may be able to order one of these stickers online?

      If I am posting in a total wrong thread, my apologies. I just thought if someone has good tips for traveling in Germany, and responds to this, then this might be the best thread. Thank you for your help!
      Hmmm. I'll have to google that one. Please let me know what you find or websites to go to. We are thinking about Germany to Switzerland trip.
      thx
      OSD.2015 S60 T5 Platinum/Power Blue/Beechwood/Off Black Sports Leather Platinum|Tech.Package,eBLIS|remote start|heated fr.seats
      OSD.2012 Volvo S60 T5/Ice White Soft Beige/Off Black Interior Premium|Multimedia|Climate Package|BLIS

    14. #47
      Member dhorvath's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Suburban Philadelphia PA
      Posts
      4,185
      The advice I saw was to stop at a gas station near the town and pick it up there.

      Don't know how near you need to be. Google eco (or congestion) sticker and the town and for sale.

      Share the results please. For our OSD trip, Germany was just a "drive through" rather than a visit (we've been there a few times before) so we did not research the stickers except to verify we wouldn't be in any of the cities.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

      3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

    15. #48
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Posts
      16
      Hi, all. Great tips.

      Have any of you left your car at the FDC, then returned to pick it up to drive it for the latter portion of your trip? We are considering taking the train to Oslo, then to Bergen and back to Gothenburg, since it will be easier to actually see the scenery when I don't have to pay attention to the road. (I've driven in Iceland, so I know the hazards that come with the terrain: twists, turns, sheer drops with no guardrails, wind, fog and sheep in the middle of the highway.)

      We will then return to Gothenburg, drive from there to Copenhagen, Malmo and Lund, so I won't be quite ready to ship the car back on delivery day. Of course, I could ask the FDC directly if they would let me do that, but thought I'd check here first. I am also considering driving 1 way to Bergen, then taking the ferry to Hirtshals. I don't mind long drives, but I do want to take the most sensible route.

      Thank you in advance!

    16. #49
      Forum Sponsor universityvolvoOSD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2005
      Location
      Charlotte NC
      Posts
      12,048
      Email [email protected] and ask in advance if they will do this for you
      Bob Kennedy
      University Volvo OSD Mgr
      Charlotte NC
      VOLVO FOR LIFE
      http://www.universityvolvo.com/volvo...as-program.htm

    17. #50
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Posts
      16
      Quote Originally Posted by universityvolvoOSD View Post
      Email [email protected] and ask in advance if they will do this for you
      Thanks, Bob! When we finally make that decision, I'll email them. It may end up being easier to find parking near the station, though. I'd just feel the car would be safer from dings & such at the FDC.

    18. #51
      Member dhorvath's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Suburban Philadelphia PA
      Posts
      4,185
      Quote Originally Posted by dexdan View Post
      Hi, all. Great tips.

      Have any of you left your car at the FDC, then returned to pick it up to drive it for the latter portion of your trip? We are considering taking the train to Oslo, then to Bergen and back to Gothenburg, since it will be easier to actually see the scenery when I don't have to pay attention to the road. (I've driven in Iceland, so I know the hazards that come with the terrain: twists, turns, sheer drops with no guardrails, wind, fog and sheep in the middle of the highway.)

      We will then return to Gothenburg, drive from there to Copenhagen, Malmo and Lund, so I won't be quite ready to ship the car back on delivery day. Of course, I could ask the FDC directly if they would let me do that, but thought I'd check here first. I am also considering driving 1 way to Bergen, then taking the ferry to Hirtshals. I don't mind long drives, but I do want to take the most sensible route.

      Thank you in advance!
      Are you planning on getting on the train right after picking up the car? Why not adjust the outbound travel date (or delivery date) so you pick up the car when you're planning on driving it? There's no rule that says you have to pick up the car the day you arrive in Europe or Gothenburg; you could pick it up after returning from Oslo.

      We arrived 2 days before delivery (wife loves to travel but gets really messed up with the timezone and meal time changes so we plan on having down days at the start of a big trip). During our trip we ran into people who spent days in Copenhagen before taking the train over to Gothenburg to pick up their car.

      Remember, this isn't like a free trip from a timeshare place where you have to sit through a hard-sell session...
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

      3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

    19. #52
      Member William's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2002
      Location
      California
      Posts
      2,179
      Quote Originally Posted by dhorvath View Post
      Are you planning on getting on the train right after picking up the car? Why not adjust the outbound travel date (or delivery date) so you pick up the car when you're planning on driving it? There's no rule that says you have to pick up the car the day you arrive in Europe or Gothenburg; you could pick it up after returning from Oslo.

      We arrived 2 days before delivery (wife loves to travel but gets really messed up with the timezone and meal time changes so we plan on having down days at the start of a big trip). During our trip we ran into people who spent days in Copenhagen before taking the train over to Gothenburg to pick up their car.

      Remember, this isn't like a free trip from a timeshare place where you have to sit through a hard-sell session...
      Good advice. I've had customers pick up their car at various different stages of their trip. It's not always the first day or second day upon arrival in Europe. Figure out what works best for you and plan the journey accordingly.
      William

      Go on a Journey for Life...
      " See Sweden by Volvo "
      Click ^^ to take first step

    20. #53
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Posts
      16
      Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
      Good advice. I've had customers pick up their car at various different stages of their trip. It's not always the first day or second day upon arrival in Europe. Figure out what works best for you and plan the journey accordingly.
      OK, I am laughing at myself now. Honestly never thought about doing that! Thank you both. I found out that Friday, July 4 (my scheduled day) is actually the last day for the factory tour for July, so I may stick with my date. Sister is warming up to driving to Oslo, so no need to consider leaving it at the FDC after all. If I had planned the timing better, I would have started in Norway, *then* taken delivery. Oh well - lessons learned for the next trip. It's going to be great, no matter what, though.

    21. #54
      Member William's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2002
      Location
      California
      Posts
      2,179
      Quote Originally Posted by dexdan View Post
      OK, I am laughing at myself now. Honestly never thought about doing that! Thank you both. I found out that Friday, July 4 (my scheduled day) is actually the last day for the factory tour for July, so I may stick with my date. Sister is warming up to driving to Oslo, so no need to consider leaving it at the FDC after all. If I had planned the timing better, I would have started in Norway, *then* taken delivery. Oh well - lessons learned for the next trip. It's going to be great, no matter what, though.
      You are welcome. As a side note - this year's summer shutdown of the factory for tours (from July 7, 2014 to August 20, 2014) - is the longest that I can ever recall. So if you have not toured the factory take advantage of your opportunity this summer. Enjoy your new Volvo and your vacation!
      William

      Go on a Journey for Life...
      " See Sweden by Volvo "
      Click ^^ to take first step

    22. #55
      Member dhorvath's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Suburban Philadelphia PA
      Posts
      4,185
      I wonder if FDC would allow you to take the tour before you pick up your car. I would expect that they'd be willing.

      I was able to take the tour weeks after pick up because the factory was closed for a service day on my schedule date. We picked up the car as planned, drove around Europe, came back to Gothenburg a day early, and took the tour.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

      3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

    23. #56
      Member William's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2002
      Location
      California
      Posts
      2,179
      Quote Originally Posted by dhorvath View Post
      I wonder if FDC would allow you to take the tour before you pick up your car. I would expect that they'd be willing.
      Yes, I believe they will.
      William

      Go on a Journey for Life...
      " See Sweden by Volvo "
      Click ^^ to take first step

    24. #57
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Posts
      250
      Fyi- the Garmin our friends lent us was a huge help over there. It also alerted for all the Traffic Cams across the country, which helped too.
      2018 XC60, T6, Inscription, B&W sound

      2015.5 XC60, T6, OSD, Platinum, Seashell Met, Blis, Inscription, Climate, Fwd Cam, 20" Avior Wheels

      2017 Tesla model D90S

    25. #58
      Member dhorvath's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Suburban Philadelphia PA
      Posts
      4,185
      Quote Originally Posted by g550 View Post
      Fyi- the Garmin our friends lent us was a huge help over there. It also alerted for all the Traffic Cams across the country, which helped too.
      Glad that worked well for you. We also had the camera database...
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

      3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

    26. #59
      A trip requires careful planning. Listed below are important steps you can take to prepare for a safe trip anywhere outside the United States. In addition, you can search for your destination to view more specific information about that country or area.

    27. #60
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3
      This is one of the most helpful posts i have ever experienced in this whole forum.. Much appreciated

    28. #61
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Viet Nam
      Posts
      2
      great tips, thank for sharing

    29. #62
      Junior Member Kandiru's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2005
      Posts
      695
      RFID secure wallets and purses, not only in EU but at any busy airport. Not only your magnetic card, but passport info
      can be stolen by a guy sitting with an open laptop and a USB RF scanner. Within hours all your info will be online for sale.

      Travelon is a great company IMHO, not only do they RFID but they use steel lines in purses and belt pouches, the wallet I use
      every day, and they don't look bad at all, great ratings on Amazon.

      Lastly put your whole family on Equifax with credit block, no one will open any line of credit as you will look to be "under
      investigation" with all 3 major credit bureaus unless you place a temporaty unlock, it works great, Audi called me to report
      they could not run a credit check, I unlocked online and they did the credit check during the call, then locked it back on.
      Last edited by Kandiru; 04-26-2015 at 01:49 PM.
      2015 S85D
      2012 S4
      2008 Turbo X
      2006 S60R
      2004 R32

    30. #63
      Forum Sponsor universityvolvoOSD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2005
      Location
      Charlotte NC
      Posts
      12,048
      Good advice Kandiru !
      Bob Kennedy
      University Volvo OSD Mgr
      Charlotte NC
      VOLVO FOR LIFE
      http://www.universityvolvo.com/volvo...as-program.htm

    31. #64
      Member GregK's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Location
      Chesterfield, Missouri
      Posts
      3,617
      Quote Originally Posted by Kandiru View Post
      RFID secure wallets and purses, not only in EU but at any busy airport. Not only your magnetic card, but passport info
      can be stolen by a guy sitting with an open laptop and a USB RF scanner. Within hours all your info will be online for sale.

      Travelon is a great company IMHO, not only do they RFID but they use steel lines in purses and belt pouches, the wallet I use
      every day, and they don't look bad at all, great ratings on Amazon.

      Lastly put your whole family on Equifax with credit block, no one will open any line of credit as you will look to be "under
      investigation" with all 3 major credit bureaus unless you place a temporaty unlock, it works great, Audi called me to report
      they could not run a credit check, I unlocked online and they did the credit check during the call, then locked it back on.
      From a SS member who works for MasterCard:

      "Actually being in the cc industry this is a common myth. The card security prevents cloning the RFID to make another card."
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

      2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

    32. #65
      Junior Member 26GAP's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Missouri, USA
      Posts
      381
      Quote Originally Posted by GregK View Post
      From a SS member who works for MasterCard:

      "Actually being in the cc industry this is a common myth. The card security prevents cloning the RFID to make another card."
      Here's a Snopes article that does a fairly accurate job of describing the security measures. http://www.snopes.com/fraud/identity/pickpocket.asp

      Bottom line, while it is possible to capture the electronic data transmitted by a card, it is unusable. The info is different than what is printed on the card and different than is what is in the magstripe. Therefore, if a card was duplicated it would lack these key components. It is also not usable in a supplemental contactless transaction as the counter on the card would be incorrect and the transaction would likely be declined.
      Current: 2016 XC90 Inscription(OSD) w/ Convenience and Vision Packages, Twilight Bronze Metallic; 2007 BMW 335i Coupe w/Dinan Stage 2 Tune and M Body Kit; 1969 Volvo 1800S

    33. #66
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2015
      Posts
      6

      Traffic rules in Sweden

      I haven't seen this specific topic in the forum so it might be useful to highlight some of the traffic rules in Sweden that might be different from American rules.

      • No free right turns at traffic lights. There are special traffic lights that will turn green if allowed in that particular intersection. If no green arrow (or green main light) = stop.
      • Yellow signal at traffic light mean stop - do not cross intersection (if possible in a safe way). Although this is rarely done in bigger cities of course.
      • Stop for traffic inside the roundabouts. When clear, drive into roundabout. Use right turn signal to exit roundabout. If there are arrows in the lanes (several lanes in a roundabout) follow those. Otherwise know that it is legal to drive in whichever lane you wish so look out for traffic while in the roundabout. But use common sense (and mirrors and turn around to check so no one is in the blind spot). In some other countries in Europe, traffic inside the roundabout have to yield to anyone going into the roundabout = traffic chaos as it defeats the whole purpose of the roundabout in my opinion.
      • Normal oncoming lane separator is short dashes - You are free to overtake if oncoming traffic allows. If long dashes - some sort of danger ahead, maybe fixed lane separation, blind crest, sharp corner, don't overtake here. Solid lines - you are not allowed to cross this line at all.
      • If multiple lanes in your direction of travel (mostly bigger cities or highways) - keep to the rightmost lane. You could be fined if police sees that you are in the left lane unnecessary and they have the energy to do something about it. Sometimes they are on a special lookout for that. Remember to use indicator when changing lanes.
      • When coming to a pedestrian crossing, you are required to stop to let any pedestrians pass.
      • Alcohol and driving do not mix in Sweden. https://polisen.se/en/Languages/Laws...ic-violations/
      • If a bus is blinking out from a bus stop, you are required to let them out if it is a 50km/h speed limit or lower (in cities more or less).

    34. #67
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Minnesota
      Posts
      119
      I have a July 2016 OSD and we're planning on spending the bulk of time there visiting other parts of Europe. As we're planning the drives, ferries, and flights, it became pretty hard to keep track of all of the details. A "road trip planner" become a necessity and there are quite a few of them out there. The best one I came across is Furkot - it has a good interface and it's free.



      The best tip I have that saved us quite a bit of time is that you aren't restricted to only flying SAS/BA. Delta was far more convenient for us out of MSP as it saved nearly 7 hours off the total trip time each way compared to SAS.

    35. #68
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Posts
      5

      Traveling south

      Thanks for all the useful tips. This is very exciting! We're planning our first OSD, taking delivery of our V60 on May 20, 2016 and heading south. That's just 3 months away and we're starting to plan only now, because we just wrapped up our deal yesterday. Thanks to elvedin on this forum, I'm looking at Furkot. The travel agent who booked our flights recommended viamichelin.com, so I'll likely take a look at that, too.

      I would welcome suggestions on how we could get out of the factory and hit the road as early in the day as possible. We have an ambitious travel schedule and hope to make it to the Aosta Valley in Italy in 3 days. Has anyone on this forum driven south and could say whether it's realistic to make it to Heiligenhafen, Germany on the first day? It looks like about 500 km - and the Rødby to Puttgarden ferry seems to run about every 45 minutes. That's why I'm eager to get on the road as early in the day as possible. The Autobahn through Germany will hopefully be nice and fast and we can make it to at least Frankfurt on the second day. Then, let's see how long it'll take to make the rest of the way to Italy.

      After Aosta, we're going to Turin where our son lives. On our way back, we'll head out from Turin, go to France, and drop our Volvo off in Frankfurt before a flight for the second leg of our vacation in Finland. I did a quick route on Google Maps, which is posted here - I'm glad we're not going to do the whole loop in the 30 hours Google suggests it'll take If anyone has been in these parts and has tips, thank you in advance!

      Last edited by Siru; 02-21-2016 at 10:19 AM.

    36. #69
      Member rpmccormick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Location
      US
      Posts
      1,004
      You could ask for first delivery in the morning (which I believe would be 9:00 AM - pickup at the hotel at 8:30 AM).

      Do the formalities (an hour) and out of fairness spend another hour going over the car, getting it setup, etc.

      You could leave the FDC by say 11:00 AM - but why not stay until noon then and have a free lunch on Volvo?

      Leaving the FDC it is a leisurely drive south to Malmo - figure roughly 3 hours / 300 km. Nice road - not much traffic.

      From the bridge to Rodby ferry figure another 1.75 hours / 175 km.

      Scandlines runs the ferry between Rodby and Puttgarden (Germany).

      https://www.scandlines.com/tickets-u...den-rodby.aspx

      A ferry generally leaves every half-hour at 15 and 45 minutes after the hour ... so worse case you have to queue and wait a half hour. Transit time is 45 minutes. So call it 1.25 hours max to land in Germany.

      That's a total of 6 hours from the FDC to Germany - and if you left the FDC at noon it would be dinner time by the time you got to Germany. Even consider grabbing a quick bite to eat on the ferry ...

      Also note: 20 May 2016 is a Friday - you may run into extra traffic ...

      On that date the sun sets in Hamburg around 9:20 PM - so you still have plenty of daylight left.

      From the Puttgarden ferry to the outskirts of Hamburg is about 1.5 hours / 150 km.

      I would expect here and possibly going through some other major cities in Germany you can expect traffic, etc.

      For me I would probably not try to go beyond here in the first day.

      Yes - while the autobahn can be nice and fast, also remember that in areas of higher population density there are speed limits. Traffic, congestion, accidents and construction can really affect your travel plans (add time).

      If you were to stay just north of Hamburg on that first night you could head south on the A7 towards Hanover and towards Frankfurt. That would be around 500 km and maybe even under 5 hours. Given that is also Saturday morning you should be able to avoid the Hamburg weekday traffic and make good time heading south.

      I'm not familiar with driving around Frankfurt and points south from there. But as you head south from your first night's stop - maybe consider not going to Frankfurt but continue east of the city on the A7 (and maybe avoid the Frankfurt traffic?) I've stayed in Wurzburg - nice area.

      Personally I'd try to get as far south in Germany as you can - as the next segment to Aosta is going to take you through some pretty scenic places.

      Remember to consider time for fuel stops, meals and getting the vignettes necessary for some countries:

      http://www.tolls.eu/

      Another good mapping tool is ViaMichelin:

      http://www.viamichelin.com/

      Whether using the Michelin or Google maps site I usually add some time to routes - sometimes as much as 20% - and my experience is you often can't realize the times these sites will quote you to get from point A to point B.

      One last thought: Italian ZTL

      Do some research on this one and since you son lives there ask him. Driving in the Zona Traffico Limitato can really incur hefty fines!!!

      http://www.visitatorino.com/en/how_to_move_by_car.htm
      2016 XC90 T8 OSD
      Luminous Sand (719) with Agnes blond / charcoal (UC00) - HUD, wood steering wheel, dark flame birch, air suspension, B & W sound, convenience, vision
      previously: 2013 XC90 OSD - 2007 XC90 OSD - 1991 850

    37. #70
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Posts
      5
      Thanks for the helpful info, rpmccormick!

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast