Sensus Tips and Tricks
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sensus Tips and Tricks

The following are tips and tricks I have discovered or seen reported that makes sense to have in one thread. I believe most are exclusive to Sensus-equipped models but some may also work on pre-2011.5 models.

MEDIA
      1. While a song is playing you can navigate to a different song, album, artist, playlist, etc by first scrolling within the current track selection, then press Exit to move up the hierarchy to the level you need in order to to navigate to your next selection.
      2. Scrolling a large list of media is a pain, but it is somewhat mitigated by being able to scroll backwards from the top of the list to start from the bottom.
      3. Muting the sound is Volvo's equivalent to pausing media playback. While this can be done on the console by pressing the left-hand "power" button, it cannot be done on the steering wheel. However, pressing the Voice Command button is a quick workaround if you want to instantly mute from the steering wheel for a brief time.

MYCAR
      1. If you are backing up and want your mirror on either side to move from either normal to rear tire mode or the reverse, simply touch the desired L or R mirror buttons and the mirror will switch to the other position.
      2. If you would like to hear a chirp to confirm setting of the alarm, simply press the lock button a second time.
      3. If you very briefly move the turn signal stalk up or down and release without going so far as locking in the turn position, the turn signal with flash for several seconds, long enough to signal a lane change.

TEL
      1. When assigning phone numbers to speed dial locations, select the desired location, select assign, find your contact, highlight the phone number, the press and hold the OK button until you are returned to the speed dial screen.

Additions are solicited...
      2011.5 XC60 3.2L Flamenco Red/Anthracite Black, Premium, Multimedia, Convenience, BLIS, Xenon + Custom Subwoofer

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

While no one has chimed into this thread, I have discovered a new MEDIA tip that will greatly reduce one's scrolling when using an iPod/iPhone connect via USB. While most people seem to focus on scrolling through Artists and Albums and eschew Playlists due to being left with songs, you can create nice hierarchical lists of albums by intelligentlly using Genres as your top level. By customizing Genres in iTunes you can create lists of Artists that resolve to lists of Albums and thus find a particular Album, Artist, or Song very quickly. The only significant limitation that I have found is that a song may be in only one Genre at a time even if you create Genres such as "Rock, Vocal".
      2011.5 XC60 3.2L Flamenco Red/Anthracite Black, Premium, Multimedia, Convenience, BLIS, Xenon + Custom Subwoofer

Just wanted to add another one since it just happened to me. I lost the chirp on the second button push when arming the alarm. I was able to restore it by selecting MyCar and Reset all MyCar Settings.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Do you have PCC? My chirp when locking with PCC button on the door seems to be random.

Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
      Do you have PCC? My chirp when locking with PCC button on the door seems to be random.
      No, I do not have PCC. You need to press twice to get the chirp. There may be a cadence, that is if you do it too fast or too slow it doesn't chirp. I'll investigate tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by mark-sf View Post
      No, I do not have PCC. You need to press twice to get the chirp. There may be a cadence, that is if you do it too fast or too slow it doesn't chirp. I'll investigate tonight.
      FWIW, my experience with my current Acura and GMC vehicles is the same as Mark's...second press is what chirps it. Gotta figure Volvo follows the same model.
      2012 XC60 T6 AWD, SeaShell Metallic / Anthracite, Platinum, BLIS, Xenons

On the PCC cars there is a black button on the door handle that you press to lock. When I press this button to lock it sometimes it will chirp and sometimes it will not.

Glad you bumped up this thread, I never saw it before now. Great tips! Thanks!

So far with PCC, I have noticed that it only beeps after I lock it twice, either with the remote or the door button.

I haven't experienced any deviations from this yet. (Knock on wood)
      2011.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD R-Design | Saville Grey Metallic | Soft-Beige/Off-Black Inlay | Climate | Convenience | Multimedia | PCC | BLIS
      Retired: 2005 S40 2.4i | Barents Blue Metallic | Black T-Tec | Convenience | Navigation | Cold Weather | Moonroof

In any mode within Sensus you can press and hold the "Exit" button on the steering wheel, a sub menu pops up on the screen, and allows you to toggle through the modes to change to a different mode (ie; changing from NAV to iPod).

Quote Originally Posted by bastula View Post
      So far with PCC, I have noticed that it only beeps after I lock it twice, either with the remote or the door button.

With the XC60 I used to drive, it would beep as you indicated. However, it would also beep on the first "lock" only when I used the door button(s). If I used the key fob, it would not beep unless I pressed "lock" twice.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

I think that is how quite a few new vehicles are. The Ford Fusion rental car I had last month did the same thing, no beep until pressing lock twice. Same thing with my dad's 06 911.
      2011.5 XC60 T6 R-Design
      2006 Ferrari F430 Spider

I'm really loving the feature in the 1st post with the side mirrors aiming towards the rear tire when backing up. Being in Japan, I end up parallel parking and backing into spots on a daily basis. This feature combined with the backup camera and proximity sensors makes this the easiest vehicle to park I've ever owned.
      2011.5 XC60 T6 R-Design
      2006 Ferrari F430 Spider

1. Is there anyway to deactivate the navigation Disclaimer alert, or does it really need an acknowledgment with the OK button (located mid-console) each and every time the car is started? (Can you hear my tone of excruciating long-suffering?)

2. Is there anyway to enable telephone usage when navigation is active? After all, if I'm on a long section of interstate on a 500 mile trip, I might like to make an outbound call. Canceling navigation, making the call, and restarting navigation is just lame.

I hope these shortcomings can be remedied SOON in a firmware upgrade.
      Last edited by HighGs; 08-14-2011 at 01:03 AM.
      2011 XC60 T6 R-Design Arctic (Ice?) White/soft beige w/off black: Climate, Convenience, Multimedia, Technology, BLIS, PCC, polestar bump

Quote Originally Posted by HighGs View Post
      1. Is there anyway to deactivate the navigation Disclaimer alert, or does it really need an acknowledgment with the OK button (located mid-console) each and every time the car is started? (Can you hear my tone of excruciating long-suffering?)

2. Is there anyway to enable telephone usage when navigation is active? After all, if I'm on a long section of interstate on a 500 mile trip, I might like to make an outbound call. Canceling navigation, making the call, and restarting navigation is just lame.

Re #2: As always, I defer the "final answer" to those who already have their XC60's (I'm taking delivery on mine next week), but: Looking in the 2012 XC60 Owner's Manual from this link: http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/your...s/default.aspx - are you saying that following the steps starting on page 233, and specifically the steps starting on page 242 to activate the phone and place a call, cancels navigation? Or are you following different steps to try to place your call?

I just bought a new XC 60 this past weekend, it is my third Volvo and I love it! One thing I can't figure out for the life of me is when I have my Sirius radio enabled and I want to go to the next preset station, in my old C30 I could use the wheel mounted controls (previous arrow and next arrow) to go from preset 3 to 4, then 5, etc. But For some reason when I use the wheel controls right now it won't go to my next preset it just goes to the next sirius radio channel. So if I am listening to Sirius Channel 15 on preset 3, I hit the next arrow and get Sirius Channel 16 instead of my preset channel 4. The odd part is the FM radio goes to to the next preset, so does anyone know how to add the same behavior when Sirius radio is enabled?

Hope that made sense, and appreciate any help!

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalVolvoDude View Post
      I just bought a new XC 60 this past weekend, it is my third Volvo and I love it! One thing I can't figure out for the life of me is when I have my Sirius radio enabled and I want to go to the next preset station, in my old C30 I could use the wheel mounted controls (previous arrow and next arrow) to go from preset 3 to 4, then 5, etc. But For some reason when I use the wheel controls right now it won't go to my next preset it just goes to the next sirius radio channel. So if I am listening to Sirius Channel 15 on preset 3, I hit the next arrow and get Sirius Channel 16 instead of my preset channel 4. The odd part is the FM radio goes to to the next preset, so does anyone know how to add the same behavior when Sirius radio is enabled?

I believe that you would need to program it to skip the channels you don't have as presets for the steering controls to work as you would like. I don't have a Sirius subscription but that is what the manual indicates.

iPod question:

Does anyone know of a way to navigate alphabetically? I see Mark-sf's suggestion (by genre or iTunes categories) but I was hoping someone knew of a way to do it by skipping through the alphabet. (i.e. using the number pad?)

Thanks.
      Present: 2011.5 xc60 T6 AWD, Terra Bronze / Sandstone
      Past: 2006 S60 R, Silver / Gobi, 6MT, 2002 Infiniti QX4

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalVolvoDude View Post

No it can't be done...yet. Volvo is aware of this and they tell me they are working on a fix. For now you can only scan presets in am/fm
      12 S60 T5 Savile Grey,Beechwood, Prem, Multimedia, Climate, PRKF-R, 17" Njord
      08 Saab 9-3
      10 Acura TSX V6

Quote Originally Posted by HighGs View Post

1. You can just press the steering wheel thumb wheel to ok the disclaimer.

2. Since you can use the radio or media with nav, I can't see why the nav would not run in the background of a phone call. Make your call then return to nav by pressing the button
      08 Saab 9-3
      10 Acura TSX V6

Does anyone know how to access the telephone speed dials once you have set them? I assumed you could hold the assigned number for a second or so on the number pad, but all that does is add the particular number to the dialing screen.

I figured the speed dial function would be analogous to the radio presets.
      2011.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD R-Design | Saville Grey Metallic | Soft-Beige/Off-Black Inlay | Climate | Convenience | Multimedia | PCC | BLIS
      Retired: 2005 S40 2.4i | Barents Blue Metallic | Black T-Tec | Convenience | Navigation | Cold Weather | Moonroof

Does anyone know how to access the telephone speed dials once you have set them? I assumed you could hold the assigned number for a second or so on the number pad, but all that does is add the particular number to the dialing screen.

I figured the speed dial function would be analogous to the radio presets.
      Go into phone mode, press a speed dial then just press the ok button or the thumb wheel.
      08 Saab 9-3
      10 Acura TSX V6

I believe that you would need to program it to skip the channels you don't have as presets for the steering controls to work as you would like. I don't have a Sirius subscription but that is what the manual indicates.
      I noticed the same problem immediately when I got my XC. I haven't checked to see if the new software update released fixes this problem (see the new thread I just started) but I had an S40 before this, and so I was used to being able to skip presets with the arrow buttons. I know it works for skipping presets while on FM or AM and if you hold the arrow button it skips to the next station. Don't know why they can't do the same for Sirius.

Aaaand I just noticed Jays1000 already answered that...
      Last edited by Shulmands131; 08-16-2011 at 01:37 PM.

2016 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Platinum
      2011 XC60 3.2 - Sold
      2006 S40 2.4i - Sold
      2000 S70 SE - Sold

I can confirm this as well on my '12.

Anyone else noticed this one?

Voice command "Phone call contact" works while in radio or nav, but not while in Media (iPod). However, "Phone call number" DOES work while in Media (iPod).

Thoughts/experiences?

So far mine beeps when I lock it with either the remote or the door button single press.
      2018 Xc60 T8 Inscription Ice White/Charcoal with everything except BW audio and Trailer Hitch
      2012 XC60 T6 AWD Ice White/Anthracite with everything except trailer hitch (Aug 2011)
      1965 Corvette Convertible which says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob1938 View Post
      So far mine beeps when I lock it with either the remote or the door button single press.
      Correction to my earlier post above in this thread: I can now confirm the same behavior as OldBob...one press on either the PCC or the door button. I did have to set the Beep in MyCar, though...it was not activated by default.

Quote Originally Posted by drat19 View Post
      Correction to my earlier post above in this thread: I can now confirm the same behavior as OldBob...one press on either the PCC or the door button. I did have to set the Beep in MyCar, though...it was not activated by default.
      I will have to agree now as well. One click on the door handle (PCC) will cause a beep. Can't remember if it is all handles or just the driver's though.

Observations

2012 XC60 R-Design

The more I use Sensus the more I really like just about everything about it. It has very modern look, is rather easy to use.

The one suggestion I have for Volvo is adding TEL to the Favorite options. Currently you have Favorite options via My Settings for Radio, Media and Navigation, but not Telephone. I really want a faster way to access the Speed dial numbers. When you press the Tel button, it takes you to a screen where you can enter a phone number or enter a speed dial number. You can dial a number assigned as a speed dial by pressing 2 through 9, then press the enter button. The only problem is you have to remember what phone numbers are assigned to each speed dial.

The Radio shows the presets under the current station being played, I would love the same for speed dial numbers.

Switching gears... One more option I would like is to have the approach lights go on without having to press the key fob.

Voice command "Phone call contact" works while in radio or nav, but not while in Media (iPod). However, "Phone call number" DOES work while in Media (iPod).

Thoughts/experiences?
      I haven't noticed whether it is just in the iPod function or not, but I definitely have noticed it does not always work... "This function is currently not available" - so annoying!

2016 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Platinum
      2011 XC60 3.2 - Sold
      2006 S40 2.4i - Sold
      2000 S70 SE - Sold

Thoughts/experiences?
      Both "Phone call number" and "Phone call contact" work fine for me when using my iPod. While playing the iPod, I press the VC sterring wheel but and up pops the VC prompt. Then speaking the commands works ever time I have tried it. What specifically is your failure?

I can't understand why Volvo didn't think to program the phone dial buttons on the dash to function as letter inputs for searching through songs. Seems like it would be fairly easy to implement now.
      2011.5 XC60 T6 R-Design
      2006 Ferrari F430 Spider

Both "Phone call number" and "Phone call contact" work fine for me when using my iPod. While playing the iPod, I press the VC sterring wheel but and up pops the VC prompt. Then speaking the commands works ever time I have tried it. What specifically is your failure?
      "Function not available" only on "Phone call contact" when in iPod. "Phone call number" does work when in iPod, and BOTH "Phone call contact" and "Phone call number" both work when in NAV or Radio.

Quote Originally Posted by superbike81 View Post
      I can't understand why Volvo didn't think to program the phone dial buttons on the dash to function as letter inputs for searching through songs. Seems like it would be fairly easy to implement now.
      When viewing songs from my ipod I can press the various keys on the number pad to jump to songs. Same applies If viewing by artist. For example, I press the 8 key (has the letters TUV), it jumps to the first song or artist beginning with T. I can use the thumb dial to scroll to U or V.

Quote Originally Posted by macpro View Post
      When viewing songs from my ipod I can press the various keys on the number pad to jump to songs. Same applies If viewing by artist. For example, I press the 8 key (has the letters TUV), it jumps to the first song or artist beginning with T. I can use the thumb dial to scroll to U or V.
      This is not how mine works. Sure wish it did though. You must have an updated version, but according to the Heister gruppe in Wittlich (German Volvo) there are not any updates for the XC60...

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast